Three Years of Learning GAW

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by M.Hatfield, Jun 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thought it was finally time to give back to this forum and all folks who call it a home away from home. The overall experience here has been stupendous for me. As a result, this GAW is going to show off (I hope) some of the experiences we all enjoy here. A Lifetime Supporter membership is up for grabs, chosen at random. :cool:

The rules are:
    ~ Anyone BUT Lifetime Supporters can join
    ~ Up to three entries per member
    ~ One entry should include a picture(s) and brief story about your most loved tool(s).
    ~ One entry should include a picture(s) and brief story describing what skill(s) you enjoy most or struggle with currently.
    ~ One entry should include a picture(s) and brief story of your favorite outdoor spot for whatever activities or experiences you enjoy most often.

I plan to let this run for a few weeks into the start of July. That may change, not sure yet.

At the end of the day, each individual here makes this place special and unique. I learn almost too much everyday here but I am immeasurably thankful for that knowledge.

Thanks everyone! :dblthumb:
    ~Mike

2. Daniel Klinglesmith

Daniel Klinglesmith Ornory Old Dog Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @M.Hatfield, Thank you Mike for a fantastic GAW! I'm sure someone will really enjoy it, but I'm not in. Got less than a year and wouldn't that be a waste. Your friend, Dan

3. dads2vette

dads2vette Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    What an awesome GAW! I started just before you and couldn't agree more about what a great place this is.

I'm really getting addicted to carving. Pictures do way too much justice to these pieces. Unlike me, they really shine when photographed. I still struggle plenty but really enjoy carving. I never would have started if it wasn't for the good folks here.

Thanks for the opportunities!
    dave

4. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    Back to carving for my second entry. My son gifted these to me recently. The reasons they're my favorite are well, because they're from my son and he really had to put some thought into the gift. I wasn't asking for a carving set or even complaining about the knives i have. He does a good job of picking thoughtful gifts(gets it from me). I had been complaining about mot having any basswood tho...

weltondl, plantedtao, MJGEGB and 7 others like this.
  5. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
  6. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17-MYOG #71- Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Holy CROW!!

I'd be in leave of my senses if I didn't try my hand for THAT!!

Congrats on the milestone and great work on the GAW!!

Be right back...

MrFixIt, weltondl, T. Pollock and 4 others like this.
  7. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    First is my spot.
    IMG_1245.JPG
    This is a rare piece of dry, semi solid ground in the swamp just out my back door.
    I'd have to say is my favorite because I don't have to deal with people on the road to get there, I'm the only one that
    A) Can get to it with dry feet
    B) Knows where it is
    C) Wants to get there

IMG_1214.JPG
    IMG_1474.JPG
    IMG_1748.JPG

It's where I learned flint and steel fire (also called stone and striker because I rarely use just flint anymore)

IMG_1237.JPG

It wasn't until I started making this sort of fire in other environments that I realized my learning curve was probably increased by about 200% for trying to learn in a humid, downright wet environment.

This is the spot where I get away to sit, have a thought and a brew.
    Just posting this reminds me that I have not been there in sometime, only twice since Natalie was born. That's coming up on a year ago.

I think you for the opportunity, the reminder that old can be gold and that new spots can wait.

Nate

8. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Favorite Tools

Up first is my camp axe. Not being able to afford a Gransfors Bruks SFA at the time I picked up an axe. That sparked an addiction to restprore old axes and seeking out the best axes for my needs.

I tried a couple of different things with axes for camping. Finally I decided to ignore the nay-sayers and try out longer handles on hatchet heads. I was inspired by camp axes once offered by C.A.C. and Marbles.

First I did a TrueTemper on a 19" house axe handle.

[​IMG]Kelly Woodslasher by MJGEGB, on Flickr

But I found myself wanting more handle length. So I found another TrueTemper head in great shape and put it on a boys axe handle that I cut down as far as I could by hanging the head on what was the shoulder of the handle.

[​IMG]IMG_7873 by MJGEGB, on Flickr

I loved how it functioned, but the handle I used was defective from the get go. It came with a massive flat spot on the shoulder. This left fitment issues and I wasn't happy with the hang, but loved the setup.

This is my third and final version of this axe. I pulled the head off the axe above and paired it with a new handle. The handle is extremely thin and whippy and ended up making for an axe that was under 2 lbs total.

[​IMG]Camp Axe Re-handle 5 by MJGEGB, on Flickr

[​IMG]Camp one Camp Axe by MJGEGB, on Flickr

My mini hatchet started off as a blue Vaughan Sub-Zero Sportsman's Axe with a crooked eye and no edge to speak of. Having fallen in love with axes I wanted something light enough to be able to take with me even when weight was a concern. Little did I know that this would turn into another mini addiction of its own.

[​IMG]Mini Hatchet fire by MJGEGB, on Flickr

Not only have I ended up with a small collection of these little guys but the one above was sanded smooth, profiled and sharpened to a rasor edge, had the eye enlarged and straightened, was put on a new handle made from a 14" scout hatchet handle, and has a new leather sheath scrounged from a coaster and old belt.

My Mora Classic #1, don't ask me why but there is something about this knife that is like comeing home. I just keep going back to it time and time again. At this point it's been with me for years and on countless adventures.

[​IMG]Mora Classic by MJGEGB, on Flickr

My Victorinox Pioneer which has been my EDC for about 4 years now.

[​IMG]Pioneer by MJGEGB, on Flickr

I have put this knife through hell and back and done more with it than any other pocket knife I've ever owned. The toolset on it is rather humble, but amazingly effective.

9. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Favorite Spot

St Mary's Wilderness, my first time there was the first Virginia meet that I organized a couple of years back. Since then I find myself going back over and over. There is just something about the place and it never gets old. Most recently I took my two sons and two of their friends and their father there for an overnighter. It did not disappoint. Funny enough a good number of the pictures in my favorite tools post are also from this spot.

[​IMG]St. Marys Falls Wide by MJGEGB, on Flickr

[​IMG]St. Marys Falls Narrow by MJGEGB, on Flickr

[​IMG]St. Mary's Wilderness Overnighter by MJGEGB, on Flickr

[​IMG]St. Mary's Wilderness Overnighter by MJGEGB, on Flickr

[​IMG]Camp One by MJGEGB, on Flickr

[​IMG]Mossy Stairs by MJGEGB, on Flickr

10. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    Right now my struggle skill is fire by friction.

IMG_6288.JPG

Despite the wide assortment of resources available, I have not achieved a (successful) ember. I got one once, but since I do not know how I possibly managed it I cannot count it. Just because you threw the ball and no one hit it doesn't mean you got it over the plate.

IMG_6314.JPG

I am struggling with it, but I am attempting it. I am putting action towards the goal.

IMG_6919.JPG

Some of my practice I'm even not worried about cutting in or honestly trying to get the ember. I'm just trying to keep my form right and produce the dust that I need.

I don't take no for an answer easily. I will succeed, the only question is how long will it take to get the ball over the plate.

11. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not in but this was my reaction after reading your post. Good on you!
    dude-omg.jpg

12. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Prov 27:17 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would 1st like to say awesome GAW. And thank you for the chance at this.
    The 1st pic is my most love tool.
    Its my conder bushlore knife. I have it on me everyday as my EDC. A fellow member sent it to me and it was the 1st bushcraft knife I have everd own so it's apart of me and means the world to me.
    2nd pic is the skill I enjoy the most.
    Is carving spoons I really don't k ow why I love it so much. My be do to the fact that I am a artist and I am trying to master this so I can really do some awesome spoons. And other carving tastes as well. And I get to us my knife a master my knife skills as well.
    3rd pic is of my outdoor sport.
    Growing up in FL the most outdoor thing I did beside baseball was fishing. Almost every weekend I was on the water fishing. Its one of those things it's in your blood you can't stop thinking about it or even wanting to be on the water fishing.
    Prov 27:17 20180111_160831.jpg 20180101_170122.jpg 0626171459-1.jpg

13. gdpolk

gdpolk Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the opportunity.

My most loved tools are right here: the knife is the first knife I ever made (small game hunter in Elmax) and the rifle is a CZ 17hmr that the wife bought me for one of our anniversaries. Coincidentally the woods the gun photo is taken in is my favorite place to hunt and therefore one of my favorite spots.

Attached Files:

rsnurkle, TX-1948, MrFixIt and 6 others like this.
  14. gdpolk

Blog Posts:
    The skill that I enjoy doing the most and am constantly learning the most about is hunting with traditional archery equipment. This endeavor has me constantly exploring new places, learning plants and animals, and slowing down to soak in all of God's wonderful world. I never hunt the same stand twice. Got to keep things interesting.

Attached Files:

rsnurkle, TX-1948, MrFixIt and 7 others like this.
  15. gdpolk

Blog Posts:
    My absolute favorite places to go play in the Buffalo National Wilderness Area in North central Arkansas. This is one of countless spectacular views from the area. This photo was taken off of the porch at The Cliff House which is a little mom and pop diner in the area with some superb brisket on the weekends. Their business hours/season is "spring green through fall colors," which seems to be about the pace of life for most people in that area. Its a wonderful place to get away to for some R&R...

Attached Files:

rsnurkle, MrFixIt, weltondl and 5 others like this.
  16. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @MJGEGB
    Those falls are beautiful! Awesome area.

MrFixIt, weltondl, isme and 3 others like this.
  17. isme

isme BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Foothills of the Great Smoky mountains, Tn
    I'm in, thanks for such an Awesome GAW!!!

I'll end up doing this in 3 sections.

The first will be my favorite outdoor spot .

I guess this would have to be Norris Lake State Park. I spend a lot of time here, camping, hiking, fishing, swimming, relaxing, and hiding.... IMG_20180608_124019.jpg IMG_20180608_123141.jpg IMG_20180608_123126.jpg
    This is a very large man made lake used to power a large portion of the TVA power grid. The lake has a lot of limestone in it which buffers the water, helps keep it clean and gives it an emerald color. The water depth goes to over 200 feet in several areas.
    IMG_20180604_134231.jpg IMG_20180604_133921.jpg
    The ground is littered with chert and Flint. Note the blue Flint in the center of the picture. All you really need to practice is a good piece of high carbon steel for a striker. While camping I always just grab Flint from the ground to start my fires.

IMG_20180605_134738.jpg IMG_20180607_153215.jpg
    It's a great area to practice skills in, and it's not uncommon for a Ranger to stop by and swap skills over coffee and a fire.

I was blessed to grow up in this area and still be here.

18. Bryan King

Bryan King Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Fav. Tool
    A knife I made of 1095 and burl Walnut. The inspiration for this knife came from a camping trip with my wife's uncle , so it's special. 1528998868719-558397253.jpg 1528998941848-1197282527.jpg

19. Bryan King

Bryan King Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Skill struggling.
    Leather work. I've made holsters & sheaths my whole life but lately I'm struggling with finding good leather. Ordering on line I end up with mostly junk. Discribed as veg tan tooling leather, and it's not .. I have to drive 160 miles round trip to pick up good 8-9oz veg tan tooling leather. So you see my struggle. Here's a pic of a holster I made with the internet leather. Won't hold wet molding. Low retention. Junk. Love the gun a charter 44 spl. Bulldog pug. 1528999636734-698801391.jpg 15289996878631106267851.jpg

Skruffy, rsnurkle, OMRebel and 7 others like this.
  20. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Skill I Both Enjoy and Struggle With

As a kid it was my dad taking us hiking and backpacking that got me into being out in the woods. We just called it camping, but as I've come to find out most folks think of a pay to stay campground when they hear camping. Anyway fast forward and as an adult I'd gotten out of shape, obease (still obease), and had just recovered from a bad ankle sprain when a friend invited me on a camping trip. Even though it was car camping I figured it would be fun and a good way to get back into it. We cooked on the fire and I went for my first real hike in a long while.

[​IMG]Crabtree Falls Trip by MJGEGB, on Flickr

[​IMG]Crabtree Falls Trip by MJGEGB, on Flickr

I was hooked. Soon after I decided to take my oldest son on his first camping trip or backpacking though at the time I wasn't really backpacking and it highlighted how out of shape I was.

[​IMG]Spy Rock / Crab tree Falls trip by MJGEGB, on Flickr

[​IMG]Spy Rock / Crab tree Falls trip by MJGEGB, on Flickr

It's not easy getting out in the woods with two young kids, a 3+ hour drive and everything else I have going on. But over the years I took more trips, picked up different gear and spent more time in my home away from home, the mountains (yes they are mountains west coast ;-). More recently I've been taking backpacking more and more seriously. I'm certainly in better shape than I was and enjoy taking longer and long hikes. Lately I've been more focused on dialing in gear for backpacking rather than edge tools :eek: and I've been challenging myself more and more. I'm hoping to do Three Ridges this month if I can. To some it might not be a big deal, but for me it will be a challenging loop. So for me I've been working on getting out more often, getting into shape, as well as staying in shape for hikes, and tweaking my gear for future trips.

Here's an affordable, light, and compact cook kit I just finished putting together.

20180613_171114.jpg

Fully nesting 650 ml ti mug/pot, snow peak hot lips so I can use the pot for coffee, home made ti windscreen, Fancee Feest stove also home made, a cup/bowl from a cut down water bottle, 2 oz fuel bottle, matches which will get swapped for a bit, and even a cut down spoon though I'll probably use my spork.

So lately my focus and struggle has been on backpacking. Not terribly Bushcrafty but it's a great way to enjoy the outdoors.

21. icemanx722

icemanx722 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    An extremely generous GAW @M.Hatfield and congrats on your 3 years!

22. Lobo13

Lobo13 Lone Wolf Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Such an Awesome & Generous giveaway.
    I believe my most loved tool at the time would have to be my #1 go to Bushcraft knife...my Koster Sigmora in 3V.
    CFA45202-4631-463E-9BFC-FA06A2F888E2.jpeg

23. SpookyPistolero

SpookyPistolero Guide

Blog Posts:
    My favorite place to spend time in the outdoors is definitely Red River Gorge. Some of the prettiest territory in the country, and some of the best views. I'm afraid I lost my favorite photos but I have a couple left from a recent trip. In the fall they are much more impressive. I kind of grew up bumming through these woods, so every time I get the opportunity to camp there it feels like 'home'.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  24. SpookyPistolero

SpookyPistolero Guide

Blog Posts:
    Other than struggling to identify items for foraging. friction fire is always a gamble for me to achieve. I try to make at least two attempts per week, but it's not always easy for me to get my hands on wood. I'm always trying to get more consistent with pressure and kit design details. Here's my latest friction fire during a Bushclass exercise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  25. SpookyPistolero

SpookyPistolero Guide

Blog Posts:
    Awesome opportunity and a generous gift! I have a lot of tools I love, but I think one of my favorite tools right now is my Andaltool. Definitely the finest bush tool I've ever used. After everything from moras to bushlore patterns, this is the most comfortable knife I own.

[​IMG]

I think another favorite its my titanium canteen set. There's just something about making a brew in it that feels great. It also weighs nothing takes a beating.

[​IMG]

26. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The WILD suburbs of Morris County, NJ, USA
    My favorite tool is actually a pair of tools, and they are my favorites because they are sentimental to me..
    42519443121_4d92c8bee8_z (1).jpg
    Many have read this before but it's still the case - Back in 2016 when I first started one of the many wonderful members here, @svh gifted me my choice of ferro rods from ozarkhunter . It was a lovely generous thing he did for someone who was a virtual unknown and I never forgot that!
    28892598318_77850e023c_z.jpg
    My other piece is the ferro striker that @ozarkhunter made for me. After I started practicing with my ferro rod, I found the striker, though awesome, was hard on my fingers when I was using it for multiple strikes (a newbie who needed LOTS of practice!), so ozarkhunter gifted me a lovely handmade striker that went just beautifully with my tulipwood firesteel.

27. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Great GAW! I can't pass that up!

My favorite spot...

This is a place along one of the rivers that I love to trout fish. I've spent more time along this river than anywhere else and this spot is where I come to chill out and just hang by the river. I love going there in early spring when there is still some snow on the ground and the rugged shores of Lake Superior are less than a 1/4 mile away from this place. To reach this spot I follow the river and have to jump a creek, then climb and then descend some steep hills to gain access to this place. These few hurdles seem to keep other people away, for I have never seen any sign of another human being there. It's like my own private waterfall and riverside vista.

I often build a fire on the conglomerate rock and enjoy a bush lunch while listening to the river rage by me. In this place, the river is king and all my toils and troubles are washed downstream with it, only to be lost to the icy depths of Lake Superior.

100_1409.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  28. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    I mulled it over all day and couldn't decide on a favorite tool.

Then it hit me;

IMG_8118.PNG

This place is the biggest tool in my arsenel. I find motivation, information and everything I need in between.

29. fishiker

fishiker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the giveaway and the chance to share with everyone a pic of a place that holds countless memories. I've been camping in this area for 40+ years and still can't get enough of it. My wife asked what I wanted to do for Father's Day and I said camping. I'll be standing in the exact spot where this pic was taken before the day is over.
    [​IMG]

30. Lobo13

Lobo13 Lone Wolf Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Favorite outdoors “spot” would have to be Devil’s Pass. This spot is close to where I live (within hiking distance) and it is a spot that supplied me with many a outdoor adventure when I was growing up. To this day I still use this spot to practice & hone skills & for outings plus it is a spot that I have shared adventures & stories about with my sons.
    E5C9D95F-450B-4F1C-BDCA-6F79B6E00E90.jpeg
    40655235-0C3E-4E9E-828B-91E32C747014.jpeg

31. Quinlan

Quinlan Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

This is an opportunity of a lifetime (pun intended). It goes well above and beyond special and unique. I am in!

ENTRY No 1
    This question can only be answered on a temporary basis, as the tool pool will change over the years and new favourites may come and be added to my list of favourites. So far, I will name as my favourites the following two, with another one in the works:

20180616_162541.jpg
    A gift from @aaronu. I put the handle on it, sweet chestnut. It has already created some very strong memories and being a gift from a fellow BCUSA member, powerful symbolisms there.

20180616_234845.jpg
    A gift from @Daniel Klinglesmith. Unique concept with hidden storage compartment in the handle. A beautiful custom creation with a touching letter attached to it and a start of a friendship with another fellow BCUSA member. I am looking forward to creating some strong memories with this one, too.

The aforementioned tools are most definitely my most loved ones. However, there is always room for more. For example, I have been the recipient of yet another member's generosity (@Bushcraft-kelso)
    20180512_130456.jpg
    and I have the sense it will also become a favourite, once I do some work on it. Not much though, for it is an Otzi knife.

All three of my tool entries share common characteristics. They have been gifts of friendship from fellow BCUSA members, I have used them to do some work and I have/will do some work on them. It is nice to work on a tool and with a tool which also carries a connection to a friend.

ENTRY No 2
    Double entry here as well. The first skill I practiced when I came to know BCUSA was sewing, so it will forever hold a special place in my heart. Working with wood is definitely a skill I enjoy, whether it is about making knife scales, an axe handle, or many other projects. Carving wood is something I still struggle with and haven't done much, practically nothing really. But I do like it and have plans for many projects.
    SEWING.jpg WOODWORKING, CARVING.jpg

ENTRY No 3
    Double entry here as well.

This is on of my favourite spots:
    20171231_120624.jpg 20171231_150729.jpg
    I've only come twice here, both times for GAW challenges issued by BCUSA members and I have fallen in love with the place. It has the makings of a campsite for me and I will try just that in the near future.

This is the other one of my favourites:
    20180610_124621.jpg 20180520_163830.jpg
    A park near my home. This is an uprooted sweet chestnut tree. I come by very often just to relax and enjoy my pipes, sitting on the trunk pieces. I have harvested wood from this tree and have also used it as a workplace.

Regards,

Christos

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018 at 3:00 AM
  32. Bushcraft-kelso

Bushcraft-kelso Am are Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Super awesome GAW I'll try to get in on this mucho awesome!
    Good show @M.Hatfield !

33. beacon

beacon Simul justus et peccator Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Among my favorite tools are my flint strikers. Flint & steel is my favorite fire-starting method, in part because it requires careful preparation.
    These two WCF strikers are my favorites of the many I own.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

For making that preparation, my second favorite category of tools is the knife. It's hard to pick a single favorite, so I'll share my 3 most used knives...

This Chase Wilder knife is a very capable convex, which gets used quite a bit
    [​IMG]

The custom scales on my Aurora make it get a tad more use that the CW (the ironwood is simply more comfortable than the antler). This one has done everything I've ever asked of it, and I don't foresee that changing any time soon.
    [​IMG]

While I obviously love convex blades, there is a place for a scandi in my line-up, and this AS is hands-down my favorite scandi. I especially love the stabilized cedar scales because I love cedar; it's an excellent tinder and kindling source, and it just plain smells great! This will be getting a lot of action in the very near future...
    [​IMG]

I hate choosing a favorite anything, but if I have to choose, those are my favorite tools.

34. beacon

Blog Posts:
    As for a skill, F&S is top of the list, but I also really enjoy spoon carving. To create a functional object from a hunk of wood is immensely satisfying, especially when done with hand tools only.

My very first spoon was carved from a block of poplar from the hobby store, to serve as a demonstration while teaching some boys about wood carving.
    [​IMG]

Since then, I've carved many spoons from various types of wood, all harvested from nature on outings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I learn something with every spoon. It's relaxing, and it generates a LOT of tinder and kindling. Big serving spoons, regular eating spoons, small scoops...they're all fun to make, and they're functional. That's what makes this one of my favorite skills.

35. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I've been thinking about this and now I'm ready!

TOOL

I made this knife a while back. The handle is a piece of spalted dogwood that was cut from one of the trees in my yard and the blade is made from an old crosscut saw that was found on the property. The pin is fatwood! I haven't made a sheath for it yet but I do have a duct tape/cardboard protector for the blade.

DogwoodOtzi6.jpg

isme, Skruffy, rsnurkle and 6 others like this.
  36. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
    SKILL

Flint and Steel fire. I love making a fire with this method. I've been very fortunate to have been gifted many strikers from members here. The availability of natural tinder materials in my AO makes this so much fun!

F&S1.jpg

F&S3.jpg

F&S5.jpg

37. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
    OUTDOOR SPOT

I have so many that I wish I could visit more often, however during the winter I love to sit out in the shed with a fire and cook something.
    Can't seem to find any pictures other than this one. My granddaughter and I cookin' on the grill over the fire pit.

Tycooking.jpg

Thank you for the opportunity, your generosity is awesome!

38. Bushcraft-kelso

Bushcraft-kelso Am are Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the opportunity!! I'd like to be entered! IMG_20180610_124036.jpg This has got to be one of my favorite spots. This area is solid stone in the creek bed. It's too slick to walk in but looks super awesome!
    IMG_20180607_183546.jpg The skill I enjoy practice and I am trying to work on has got to be cooking over camp fire. I enjoy doing this, and eating it too! I have learned alot and still need lots of practice with it.
    IMG_20180607_182103.jpg right now my favorite tool has to be this striker my sister got me in Ireland this dude don't play!! I like it alot!! Thanks for the opportunity!!

39. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    A wonderful idea for a very generous GAW!

My favorite tool is the reindeer handled knife inherited down through the ages from my great great grandfather, who was a navigator on a whaling vessel in Norway in the mid-19th century.

IMG_0477.jpg

My favorite place is any place my youngest son Jake is, but this is one of our favorites; Schooley's Mountain Park. Great for hiking, gathering, crawfishing, lunch, and hanging out at the overlook and enjoying a cool breeze.

IMG_1373.jpg

The skill I am currently struggling with the most is hand drill. I am relatively adept with bow drill, but had drill has eluded me all but once when I got a coal with mullein on poplar.

IMG_2729.jpg

isme, Skruffy, rsnurkle and 8 others like this.
  40. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    first off, that is super generous! i can't pass it up!

[​IMG]
    this tracker clone is easily my favorite tool. great feathers (as you see here) and it chops great (works like a hatchet for wild gathering) and it's my favorite tool for roughing out spoons. got it in a gaw here, so i know nothing of where it was actually made, and i put the osage handle on it, which really helped it look even classier in my opinion!

[​IMG]
    skill is a hard one....my favorite to work on has been archery. sling bow and pvc bow is what i have to use, and while they're not fancy, they're something. and it's something i enjoy-making the bow, building the arrows, practicing the shooting.

[​IMG]
    while my hardest won skill-i'm proud i've done it, i've had to work hard and haven't been successful lately. that would be friction fire, especially handdrill. i've gotten an ember once. i am no where near proficient, but would love to be able to get to where i could consistently get an ember....with wood sourced from the wild.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    it's hard to tell in the pics, but this little niche is where i think of as "mine." it's a small corner of a public area, but it's off the beaten path, and its my place to get away and be out. nice place to make some tea and whittle away-both wood and time.

41. Stringer

Stringer Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Favorite Spot.
    Pretty near anywhere I can be with family. Youngest son and family, Schweitzer Mtn. Man wasn't meant to be alone.

Attached Files:

42. Luchtaine

Luchtaine Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Wow, this is a crazily generous giveaway!! Thank you @M.Hatfield for offering it up!!

Entry #1

My favorite tool amongst all of my tools have to be the ones I use for carving. I don’t always use the same tools but they generally shake out into this basic set up. A saw for cutting stock. A hatchet for rough shaping. A sloyd knife for general carving. A SAK for miscellaneous carving. And a spoon knife for spoon bowls. I like to creat things and do all kinds of woodworking but somehow simple carving always gives the most satisfaction. I am glad I found this thread. I’m heading on vacation soon and this reminds me to pack a carving kit!

7367C922-40C0-47E0-9A0D-034C0B058238.jpeg

43. isme

isme BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Foothills of the Great Smoky mountains, Tn
    Actually as much as love my knives, pack, Hawk, tarps, stoves, etc. I believe my favorite piece of gear is my 4 dog Mors pot.
    I use it for everything. On the last camping trip the family got to see it in use and finally understood.
    I even use it in the house. It's my got for alot of my cooking. On the fire, in the fire, on the stove, it just works. IMG_20180601_195150.jpg

IMG_20180601_195431.jpg

Attached Files:

44. beacon

Blog Posts:
    I just can't pick a favorite spot. There are too many to choose from here in NC. Uwharrie, Pisgah, Linville Gorge Wilderness, etc...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018 at 11:01 AM
    Quinlan, MrFixIt, M.Hatfield and 2 others like this.
  45. Luchtaine

Luchtaine Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Entry #2

Something I struggle with. Like many, friction fire. I have successfully created fire with a bow drill one time. One other time I had an ember but wasn’t building a fire. This is definitely something I need to get more consistent with.

172BDDA6-7FEA-45A2-B5E8-81788D778544.jpeg

46. FIELDCRAFTLTC

FIELDCRAFTLTC Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Wow, what a great GAW! I'm not in. Good luck to all the entrants. This is just AWESOME!!

47. Dyslexic Rooster

Dyslexic Rooster Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Heck with it. I'm in. My favorite spot/s are the string of parks along the bay in my hometown. They're what started my love for the outdoors. Fishing, Fiddler and Horseshoe crab chasing. Snake and bug catching. 20180601_194514_HDR.jpg 20180601_195402_HDR.jpg 20180607_203646_HDR.jpg 20180607_204521.jpg

48. Dyslexic Rooster

Dyslexic Rooster Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Favorite tools. My BOB, my flint and steel, a ferro rod and some fatwood shavings. The BOB is the knife I practice new skills with. It's comfortable and capable. Flint and steel is a fun way to start fire. Ferro and fatwood are for when I wanna cheat 20180530_160052.jpg

49. Dyslexic Rooster

Dyslexic Rooster Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Flint and steel are my current interest. I really like the idea of using char from a previous fire to light the next one. I'm using charcloth I made from a fire I started with that ferro rod months ago. So the next steps are natural tinder and a char tin. 20180427_181229.jpg 20180529_015331.jpg