Throwing knife material?

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by krismorgan, Aug 11, 2018.

1. krismorgan

krismorgan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    D90B0375-F4A6-4156-AE57-BDA5A69CA486.jpeg A good friend of mine is a member of the American Mountain Men. They do knife and tomahawk throwing at their rendezvous. Attached is a pic of what he throws. I think it’s a cold steel hawk and I know it’s a homemade knife. I want to make some throwing knives for me and my boys. Any ideas for a good 1/4” hunk of steel that will fit the bill for durable, won’t bend, and not too brittle to snap? I’m thinking leaf springs...???

Attached Files:

Bobsdock, Winterhorse and Madwell like this.
  2. krismorgan

Blog Posts:
  3. mtngunr

mtngunr Scout

Blog Posts:
    you nailed it....if you forged, a railroad track clip (those huge paperclip looking things between track sections) makes a mighty tough blade, and when you think of the weights and cycles handled, they OUGHTA....older leaf springs likely better, no telling what's in new vehicles when they time other stuff to minute to die, to save them money.

Also, good old mower blade always a classic standby....

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Winterhorse, Jim L. and Madwell like this.
  4. tomcfitz

tomcfitz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If its JUST for throwing, I'd use whatever's cheapest. You don't really need it to hold an edge, pretty much any tool steel will probably work. I'd go with A2 or O1. Something easy to find.

If it for usage as a knife and a toy, I have no idea what would hold up to that abuse and maintain an edge...

Bobsdock and Winterhorse like this.
  5. Bryan King

Bryan King Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    If I was making some I would use leaf springs also. I have made some out of saw blades for smaller lighter ones. But I like the bigger is better idea, if I don't stick it , I'm sure gonna ring it's bell. lol

Bobsdock, Winterhorse and Madwell like this.
  6. mtngunr

mtngunr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Look up Harry McEvoy and Trul-Bal for standard classic shapes which you can manage to make at home.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Winterhorse and Madwell like this.
  7. mtngunr

mtngunr Scout

Blog Posts:
    What condition of this steel are you recommending, and what easy, cheap supply? Would you recommend either over the other? Tool steel for a thrower is a truly novel idea.

Winterhorse likes this.
  8. Jacob

Jacob Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    1084 is cheap, tough, and easy to heat treat. You can order it in a bunch of different dimensions to reduce the amount of grinding/forging too. Just another option.

9. krismorgan

Blog Posts:
    I made some out of lawn mower blades. They all tended to bend.

Winterhorse likes this.
  10. mtngunr

mtngunr Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was wondering about that, myself, but thinking it certainly tough, plentiful, and perhaps bending mitigated by deep blades and minimal sharpened bevels.

But, if your experience had them bending laterally/folding, not much to be done there aside from beat them straight the way I did the old Cold Steel Tru-Flite Carbon V throwers.

Winterhorse likes this.
  11. tomcfitz

tomcfitz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Is it really? It seems an obvious choice for me, though TBH I don't have much experience making throwing knives. Easy, cheap supply? Even MCMaster has a 3'x3"x1/4" Sheet of the stuff for less than $100, which is probably enough for a half-dozen throwing knives. Though looking around on McMaster, maybe an "Impact resistant" steel would be better? Getting pretty expensive though. I guess "cheap" is a relative term.

Though for something that only needs to be vaguely pointy, whatever you can find will probably be good enough to learn with.

12. Daniel Klinglesmith

Daniel Klinglesmith Ornory Old Dog Supporter Banned

Blog Posts:
    I made mine out of 3/16 mild steel. Shaped and heat treated. Not hardened like a knife but holds a real nice point. Worse throw possible could bend one, but easy to straighten out. I built a set about 15 years ago, my son and grandsons have them now. They stopped by yesterday and picked up a new target/log.

13. mtngunr

mtngunr Scout

Blog Posts:
    So, you took them to 1/2 hard, and truthfully wondering how you did that? To full hard and then draw down? Or some easy way so obvious that I will feel a fool when you explain, like 20 mins in the daughter's old EZ Bake oven and chocolate chip cookies help? Those knives are certainly the type heirlooms which mean so much more.than the unused nice wood chair in the corner and in the family for 5 generations.

14. Daniel Klinglesmith

Daniel Klinglesmith Ornory Old Dog Supporter Banned

Blog Posts:
    If this is aimed at me, I just heat treated and oil quenched as usual. Being mild steel it wont harden like 1095 or 02, but will hold an edge and especially a sharp point for throwers. If you want to forge some, get some 5/8 rebar and forge them out of it.

15. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Best material to throw into is card board end grain ,I usually stack them tight in a box ,same as I use for archery. Big screen TV box is ideal .
    2. have several target points ,avoid throwing knife against knife . it ruins both the blade and the handle when you robin hood.
    3. make your blades identical in shape and weight , yes I said blades several .
    4 only the tip of the blade need be sharp the rest is for show an weight .
    5 heavier blades are easier to train with ,and as you perfect the craft go to lighter blades .
    6. handle consistency can be either wrapped paracord or friction tape or electrical tape or gorilla tape . the thing about tape is that you can change the weight and balance imbedding other metals in the handle . Keep it simple . the more identical they are the better.
    after you have perfected the craft with heavy tools and lighter ones, mix it up you should know the difference when you pick up any knife .

16. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    By the way you will soon discover that it takes a lot of energy to throw a knife with enough force to actually penetrate effectively . and throwing it with that kind of energy makes it fly differently than casual throwing.
    The movies are far different than real life .

Winterhorse likes this.
  17. Jacob

Jacob Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @krismorgan

A lot depends on if your looking to do your heat treatment in house or send a batch of blanks to be heat treated for you. Also what equipment you have at your disposal for the heat treatment, forging, or stock removal.

Answering those questions would help folks dial in their recommendations.

18. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Might be cheaper just to pick up a few Cold Steels and see if you like throwing, then maybe make some then...
    Cold Steel uses a lot of 1055 in their throwing knives...their true flight thrower is only 17 bucks on amazon and their sure flight sport 3 pack is only 28 dollars

19. krismorgan

Blog Posts:
    So I already know I like throwing. We have thrown several times with our Mountain Man friend. It’s just time for us to have our own knives. The smaller, lighter, knives you can purchase at the big box store won’t cut it for what he does. If we show up with those we will get laughed at. Lol. I am able to do some forging and also have stock removal available to me. I prefer to heat treat in house and do also have a heat treat oven available.

20. mtngunr

mtngunr Scout

Blog Posts:
    All you need is something to chop up those 200lb sheets of 1/4" stock into blanks, and you'll be set! (wink!)

I was querying Daniel as to heat treat for sake of perhaps you not knowing, but, you can obviously follow his "heat treat and oil quench like normal" and run with it. One never knows levels of expertise here. For sure there is every level of knowledge or not on display in every thread.

You could do a whopper out of 3V circa low-end 57-59 Rc, impress your pal, and report back on just how tough 3V REALLY is and we ALL could learn something new.

21. Monkeynono

Monkeynono Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Cold steel uses 1075 I belive

22. krismorgan

Blog Posts:
    Good idea! Send me some 3v and I will work on it! Lol. I’m gonna look up metal prices.

Winterhorse likes this.
  23. mtngunr

mtngunr Scout

Blog Posts:
    I oughta send you some 1/4" sheet titanium and video watching you cut and work THAT, and post it here for entertainment, Mr. Smartypants!

Worked that stuff a lot in my career, would impress your pal, too, as you effortlessly threw a knife 40% larger than his, because only YOU knew it weighed the same.

Yeah, I know, right after the 3V.

24. krismorgan

Blog Posts:
    CPM 3v 1/4” x 4” x 18” $148.99

Just started a go fund me page.

25. RiceOnSuede

RiceOnSuede Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I could be wrong because i dont know much about knife making, but i believe how you harden it is more important than the steel you use. You want it to have flex, doesnt need to hold and edge, only needs to be pointy.

26. TRYKER

TRYKER Guide

Blog Posts:
    I MADE mine from 4140 , i hand filed a convex edge for batoning firewood and for throwing