Ti-Strike R&D Results

Discussion in 'Aion Innovation' started by Aion Innovation, Feb 19, 2019.

1. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    i was trying traditional methods as well as stabbing. oh trust me the tip makes plenty of contact and drags all the rocks i've tried have plenty of ti left on them to verify that. i've gotten sparks off those rocks, i even get sparks off of chert that i use for f&s but not as reliable as f&s imho.... i'll try again trying to work up a burr then knock it off and see if that does any better for me. maybe this is a steeper learning curve than f&s......

almost all my rocks i've come across aren't extremely smooth either.....

2. Aion Innovation

Aion Innovation Scout Vendor

Blog Posts:
    @UAHiker It definitely has a learning curve, but I think maybe just keep trying different rocks. It looks like you are making good contact by the looks of the rocks and the shavings. It seems quartz and basalt are the best so far for good hot sparks.

3. pellegrino

pellegrino Much to learn... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Got some brief sparks off of a brick and a landscaping rock just now. Seem more orange than the white ones I got off of chert, but that could be more a function of dirt and humidity rather than rock composition. Again, too brief to catch char, but practice makes perfect I suppose.

4. scottmm2012

scottmm2012 1 Peter 1:20 Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Don't know if humidity plays a role but tonight I had very little luck with spark or ignition. Wonder if a build up of Ti on the rock has anything to do with it. I'm fatigued, so I need a rest.

5. Aion Innovation

Blog Posts:
    @pellegrino Keep practicing I know you will get it. Also look at some of the videos closely and see if there is anything missing in your technique. Also as mentioned previously try rotating it as you strike.

Today I tried some new tinders and successfully got flower seed fluff and dry grass to catch.

6. pellegrino

pellegrino Much to learn... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Tried a much larger chunk of chert, and it sparked better. Both white and orange sparks from the same rock. So dampness is probably not a huge factor in spark creation or color. Momentum, strike angle, surface roughness... time to adjust some more variables. :)

7. wvtracker14

wvtracker14 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Hardwoodsman

Blog Posts:
    Finally found a rock that worked really well here, but I had to go through a lot of different rocks to find the one. After I knew I could make sparks I stopped turning the striker in my hand after each strike to see if it affected the sparks, it didn't at least on the rock I was using. For whatever reason the sparks would not ignite char cloth (not in the video) and took awhile to ignite the jute, I guess I had to get that perfect spark in the right spot. But I would agree with whoever said bigger rocks seam to work better since they offer the most resistance to the striker.

I also would agree with adding a lanyard hole to the striker and maybe some ribbing just not anything real rough.

ArmyMacE, C Bryant, bacpacjac and 4 others like this.
  8. Aion Innovation

Blog Posts:
    @wvtracker14 Great job, your persistence paid off. You have quite the supply of rocks available. You were definitely getting good sparks. Next time try to get the jute or char really close to where the striker is hitting the rock so the sparks don't have as much chance to miss the tinder. Any idea what type of rock that was?

ArmyMacE, NWPrimate, C Bryant and 4 others like this.
  9. wvtracker14

Blog Posts:
    Yea that was a river basin I was in just a different one from the first video I made. I couldn't tell you the type of rock but it was harder than any of the others I had tried you can see in the video where the striker marked the rock kind of gouged it out. But the rock that worked didn't take damage but instead the striker left residue on the rock.

ArmyMacE, NWPrimate, C Bryant and 3 others like this.
  10. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    I can picture @bacpacjac & the Padawans sitting by the door, in turn, drinking hot chocolate awaiting the Voyageurs delivery of the light sabre Ti striker. :D
    Regards
    David

11. Hawaii

Hawaii Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Got mine yesterday, so Hawaii is out for the native volcanic based rocks. I tried it on the porous lava (moss rock) and also the much denser basalt. All you get is that burnt gunpowder smell but no sparks. I tried it on a smooth hammerstone I picked up off a beach in S. California years ago but it might be too smooth, I got a couple weak sparks.

I am going to keep my eyes peeled for some landscaping river rocks that have been imported and are laying around on the ground here and there.

Here are some pics of the 2 of the 3 stones the first of the California stone that I got weak sparks from and the other of the dense Hawaiian basalt 19B73328-19C6-43DE-941F-83B49ED422AD.jpeg E20640B5-F54E-407D-BE87-A1307C56A86B.jpeg 678EE687-EE41-40B7-8968-852986F685EF.jpeg 48FE6264-2852-4526-9EC4-B28FF1A11DF1.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  12. Aion Innovation

Blog Posts:
    @Hawaii Thank you for sharing the pictures and reporting back your findings. Would you be willing to send me some of the harder basalt for me to test a different grade of titanium that is softer. I am going to get a variety of other alloys of titanium in and want to test some softer rocks to see what I get. Maybe just a small flat rate box full, I can cover shipping. Just PM if you would consider doing this.

13. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been up to my eyes busy this week. Friday I have to smoke 26 lbs of pork shoulders for my FILs birthday party on Saturday. After that things should call down a bit and I will have time to do some more experimenting.

ArmyMacE, C Bryant, bacpacjac and 3 others like this.
  14. kcardwel

kcardwel Hardwoodsman Hobbyist Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    My more rounded slippery rock is buried in 3 feet of snow so may be a while getting to it. We really got dumped on here.

ArmyMacE, NWPrimate, C Bryant and 6 others like this.
  15. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The BK rock I liberated :20: may not be large enough. I did some some sparks that were brighter and hotter with it even though the "striking" area is small-ish.

ArmyMacE, C Bryant, bacpacjac and 4 others like this.
  16. Aion Innovation

Blog Posts:
    @MrFixIt Haha so funny. That emoji face is perfect for how I would feel doing the same thing... Yeah I have gotten really good sparks from small rocks, but its just harder to hang on to them without hitting your hand.

17. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
    I did glance it once. After seeing and reading others post there isn’t enough surface area for the scraping motion.

18. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    i've gone through i don't know how many rocks... lost count by this point.
    from what i've gotten by playing with it...
    1) you don't need to rotate it
    2) when you hit the rock you see dust, the rock isn't hard enough
    3) i've gotten better success with flat face of rock on angle and striker on angle
    4) bigger rocks are better so you have something to hold on to and not hit your self.....
    5) need a fair amount of force, i can feel the jolt going back through my arm with each hit..... i think a better chance would be with a traditional striker shape

here is a video of a successful tinder light

ArmyMacE, NWPrimate, C Bryant and 7 others like this.
  19. wvtracker14

Blog Posts:
    Agreed! Good video!

Edited to add: even when you get consistent strikes the sparks directions seams to be erratic.

ArmyMacE, bacpacjac, MrFixIt and 2 others like this.
  20. Aion Innovation

Blog Posts:
    @UAHiker Thank you for sharing your results and the video. It definitely takes some doing to get a hot enough spark to land just right in a nest of jute. Have you tried just igniting char? I have found that igniting that is much easier because the spark doesn't have to be so big and hot. Also, @Self Reliantist mentioned on another thread about placing the striker and then hitting it with piece of wood. I tried it and its definitely easier to aim the sparks but you have to have a rock that is big enough to stay in place as you hit it or hold the rock with your foot since you need both of your hands. I will post a video later showing the results I got.

21. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Looky what the mailman just brought me! :)

P2288397.JPG

I couldn't resist trying it out right away. I got some sparks with this little stone and have pulled some bigger rocks to play with later. :D Thanks again @Aion Innovation and @DavidJAFO! And thank you EVERYONE who's testing and reporting!
    P2288398.JPG

22. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    I agree...I'd be interested in trying a traditional style Ti striker. Thanks for posting the vid, I've had similar results in it taking multiple strikes to get the right spark to land in the right place.

23. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    no the char cloth, i was focused on the jute. my thinking is i can easily get a spark to land on char with traditional f&s with relative ease so i was looking for an upgrade to be able to light tinder directly and skip the step of char... yes i know that's what a ferro rod can do with ease but i was just thinking it'd be fun and a good "shock" factor showing people you can light tinder with f&s, ok yes the steel component is switched to titanium but it's still the same thought b/c most know traditional f&s can't do that. plus it'd be fun to have both options :)

must have missed that post using a piece of wood, sounds interesting....

24. Aion Innovation

Blog Posts:
    @UAHiker
    I was thinking that some people don't have access to flint/chert or even quartz that breaks with sharp edge to use a traditional striker so this would enable them to use their local rocks by striking the flat surfaces to at a minimum ignite char cloth and possibly even ignite flash tinder with some practice.

The alternative technique of hitting the striker was just posted on my post in the classified section. It would also maybe eliminate hurting your arm from swinging the striker.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  25. isme

isme Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Foothills of the Great Smoky mountains, Tn
    Just got it today and picked up a piece of sandstone from the front yard. I got a few light sparks but no ignition yet. Its rained here for the last month and this rock was laying in a puddle. I dried the rock but still is probably holding a lot of moisture. I'm gonna keep trying:dblthumb:

20190228_180055.jpg 20190228_180223.jpg 20190228_180245.jpg 20190228_180306.jpg 20190228_180055.jpg 20190228_180223.jpg 20190228_180245.jpg 20190228_180306.jpg

26. Aion Innovation

Blog Posts:
    Here is a video showing my results from the technique that @Self Reliantist mentioned. The basics are you place the striker against the face of the rock and then hit the back of the striker with a piece of wood.
    It is definitely easier to aim the sparks, but if the rock you are using is small its harder to hang on to it since you need both hands to hold and hit the Ti-Strike. I saw several of you striking against really big rocks or even rocks that are stuck in the ground. Maybe try this technique and tell us what you get.

27. Aion Innovation

Blog Posts:
    @isme If you get sandstone to ignite char or jute fiber, I think you would be the first one. Definitely let us know how it goes as you experiment with it. Also, check out the video of a new technique that was suggested. Basically hitting the back of the striker with a piece of wood instead of stabbing it.

28. scottmm2012

scottmm2012 1 Peter 1:20 Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That's a nifty technique especially with a fixed in place rock (i.e. large boulder) like glacial erratics. It's supposed to be snowing this weekend but I'll try to get out and smack a few course sandstone boulders.

29. isme

Blog Posts:
    I keep trying with different pieces of the sandstone. Different sizes and shapes, flat faced , textured, on angle, etc.
    Still only getting the random sparks. I can definitely smell the singes smell so maybe more sparks than I'm seeing.

20190302_131355.jpg
    20190302_131405.jpg 20190302_132010.jpg 20190302_132035.jpg

30. Aion Innovation

Blog Posts:
    @isme I think the sandstone composition might have some quartz particles embedded in it and those are hard enough to throw off those random sparks, but might not have enough of the quartz to create a lot of hot sparks. Is there any other types of rocks in your area besides the sandstone. I think there may be some quartz in your area. Also, if you can find basalt that has proven to throw pretty good sparks.

31. isme

Blog Posts:
    Oh yeah we've got plenty of other stuff. I've been at the in-laws so the wife could help her sister after surgery. They have a lot of it in their yard. Also I kinda took it as a personal challenge.

32. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    For the third time in a row, my attempt to try this out has been thwarted by a six year old who shall remain nameless. So far, I've managed to get sparks using a rock that I think is Feldspar and Quartz. They seemed to be going backwards and sideways though, so I resorted to holding my fluffed up jute on top of the rock. I got some good sparks and could smell smoke, but ignition was a no go. To be fair, I was outside and it's snowing lightly. I bet I could have gotten an ember with the charred jute, but I whacked my thumb hard enough to make me want to curse. When I'm practicing skills with the kiddos, that's my queue to quit. I'll try again when my favourite distraction has gone to bed. ;)

Can you see the char on the rock. So close!

P3038532.JPG P3038528.JPG

Sorry there's no video, but the camera woman made me nauseous. :( On the upside, we came back inside and whizzed up some more jute twine in the coffee grinder. :D

P3028514.JPG

P3028521.JPG

ArmyMacE, Hawaii, NWPrimate and 7 others like this.
  33. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    I commandeered a few rocks from the landscaping beds at church today. :rolleyes:

Several had a gritty texture, these seemed to just grind Ti off the rod and not much more...too coarse. One had a reddish color (red shale perhaps) and the Ti ground it away...too soft. The third was a fairly smooth black rock that seemed to be, in the words of Goldilocks, "just right". Holding it at a fairly steep angle to get a long drag along it's length and rotating the Ti-strike about 1/4 to 1/2 turn after each striker really seemed to help. Got some more jute to ignite.
    I'll try to get some pics and possibly video up this week.

34. Aion Innovation

Blog Posts:
    @bacpacjac That looks like a pretty good rock. Try to set the rock and the jute on a firm surface like the top of a stump and then hold the fluffed jute down with the rock. Then when you strike down onto the rocks face the sparks should find their way down into the nest. Getting the jute to ignited definitely takes some practice and the bigger the rock the better so you don't hit your hand. The coffee grinder is genius to fluff jute twine. I will have to try that sometime.

35. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    I found this on a little walk to the mailbox this morning. I think the kids left it out there. LOL! We never got to it the other night. Quartz and ???? Both parts of the rock give me sparks with my titanium rod, so I'll try it with jute later. :D

P3058548.JPG

36. bosque bob

bosque bob Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for posting the videos. Took cues from them but . . .

No success after two different runs at it. A couple of weak sparks out of a bazillion attempts with a bunch of different rocks.

Must be defective rocks. Yeah, that's it. Gotta be.

Have another go at it soon.

37. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    Jonas and I didn't get any flames last night but we were close. I had to try again this morning. I found a different smoother rock in the garden and kept at it until I got it. I have no idea what kind of rock it is but we found it on the shore of Lake Ontario here in Oshawa.

P3068599.JPG P3068620.JPG P3068625.JPG P3068633.JPG

After that, I went back and tried the first rock again. When I hit it the first time a big globby spark just hung on the end of the striker for a second or two. It was pretty cool. It took a few whacks but it finally went. The Quartz broke up a fair amount when I hit it but the black rock held up really well and I'm pretty sure that's where the winning spark came from.

rock 1 titanium.gif

This is fun now that I'm whacking my hand less often. ;)

P3068631.JPG

38. Aion Innovation

Blog Posts:
    @bacpacjac Thank you for posting all the photos and video. Great job, I love the persistence in finding the right rock. The technique definitely takes some practice but once you get it down and have the right rock you will want to try more tinders. So far the most challenging has been the fatwood shavings, but I did finally got them to ignite. Its very satisfying once you get a new tinder to ignite. At this point I can usually get jute to ignite in 10 strikes or less. Yesterday I got it in 3 strikes, but the other tinders like dry grass still take some work. My thoughts are that in most cases this would be a nice alternative to ignite char cloth using rocks other than flint/chert and if you find the right rock you can also get the flash tinders to ignite.

39. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    This is rather addictive! I can hear my rocks calling me. :) Thanks for all the videos, guys. They're very helpful!

40. C Bryant

C Bryant Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have been playing a lot this week. Got fatwood shavings to ignite on my first go, so I tried to do it again on video and just couldn't do it. I am also trying to get birch bark to ignite from the spark.

I was getting lots of sparks on a very damp rainy day with no issues, so I dont think humidity matters for the striker. My tinder didn't like it though.

I will try to get more vids up and pics of the rocks I really like soon.

41. Aion Innovation

Blog Posts:
    @C Bryant Awesome, thank you for sharing. Bummer you didn't get the fatwood to light on video. The one thing I am noticing with all my tinders is a bigger pile is much easier to light and make sure its as close to the strike point as possible so the sparks get into the tinder without missing it. Looking forward to seeing more videos and pictures.

42. Aion Innovation

Blog Posts:
    So just curious how the testing is going. Also, I was thinking about putting up a poll for everyone to vote on some things like new features and maybe anodizing colors, but I can't seem to figure it out how to add the poll. If anyone knows how to add a poll to this thread please let me know.

ArmyMacE, MrFixIt and C Bryant like this.
  43. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    I've still been busy as all get out, but I did find another rock tonight I want to try. Hopefully I'll get to try some more tinders soon and can report back.

ArmyMacE and MrFixIt like this.
  44. Aion Innovation

Blog Posts:
    @Outdoor Dauber Awesome, and I understand the busy thing. Sometimes life just flys by and you look up and several weeks have disappeared. Definitely let us know how it turns out on the new rock.

ArmyMacE, bacpacjac, MrFixIt and 2 others like this.
  45. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    Will do!

As for adding a poll, click on "thread tools" near the top of page, then click on "add poll".

46. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
    I haven't messed with mine in a while. :oops:

ArmyMacE and bacpacjac like this.
  47. DavidJAFO

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    Cousin @bacpacjac :rolleyes: = wear GLOVES. I would go along with the charred & other materials normally used within the FSK. Remember this is an alternative tool to F&S. poor Abby :17: I mean a six-year-old who shall remain nameless. Be good & remember to share your toys. :D
    Regards
    David

ArmyMacE, MrFixIt and bacpacjac like this.
  48. DavidJAFO

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    Storm Gareth (up to 80 mph winds & rain) has made landfall here so very little opportunity today for a stone kick or tinder gathering. :( Anyway dry grass, I may suggest dried hay or straw an agricultural byproduct (also available pre-packed via pet stores). I've harvested these by-products along the route for my FSK, lots of farmland around these parts, they even ignite under the correct conditions using a magnifier. I added this as I've spotted what we refer to as "white grass" growing along a walkway verge. I haven't been able to properly identify such yet but it has the possibilities of being a good resource for dry tinder. I was intending a harvest bring it home & drying it out, but not today, as it's blustery high winds & the area has a lot of Widowmakers planted around, some huge limbs already broken off scattered around the area. I would suggest using dry grass as a tinder, rough it up a little, hand rub, or mill it with rocks. I'm pretty sure the hot spark from the titanium would ignite such. :)
    Regards
    David

49. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    hahah!! Poor Abby? Poor Abby?! She ran outside without her snow clothes on the jumped in a snow bank - THREE NIGHTS IN A ROW!! AND she fell on the stairs after said snow jumping - TWICE! KIDS! LOL!!

50. DavidJAFO

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    "Go Abby" now that ^^^^ is going to the extremes, the Bushcraft school of hard knocks :cool: kudos +1000,000.
    Regards
    David