Tilley - can't beat 'em

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by JohnP, Aug 2, 2014.

1. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    After 7-8 years of almost daily use, I finally wore holes in my Tilley TH5 hat. I sent it back with a check for $7.50. They returned my old hat along with a shiny new TH5. Dang fine looking hat. I had forgotten how good they look when they're new and not all sun faded

Yep, I'm pleased. You can't beat that with a stick.

JohnP

Lead Dog likes this.
  2. Pat1973

Pat1973 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yes sir,that is why i own two tilley t3,one for so many years i can't recall,and a brand new one from this summer,in a different color,can't beat Tilley's amazing service!

Just a trick,take a picture of you wearing the new hat,so that way if it gets lost or stolen,you show them the picture and voila!Sound funny,but true!

3. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I have been a fan for awhile as well. Wore thorough one and was sent a new one. I also have a few others around that I have picked up on sale. I am definately partial to the canvas models. I had an Airflo but did not like it at all. Despite the name, I thought that the canvas hats wicked and breathed better.

4. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My canvas one finally got a hole also, relegated to yard and outside work hat now, picked up a hemp one, I think it breaths better than the canvas one, lighter too. I have a nylon one it doesn't get much use...should get rid of that one....

5. DCP

DCP Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I own one, Tilley is one of the few brimmed hat companies that make hats that fit pumpkin size heads.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  6. JAFO_Jeeper

JAFO_Jeeper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    PM from gourd-headed gent sent.....

7. JAFO_Jeeper

JAFO_Jeeper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This forum is going to be hazardous to my bank account...

nevemind the fact I have bought 5 hats this month.. I've been looking at Tilley hats off and on for 10 years. I'm quite likely going to buy one this week. I bought a Outback Trading Company River Guide which is quite similar, though heavier. It's nice, but the XL doesn't fit loose enough for summer wear- plus the waxed canvas gets quite warm (so warm I am considering replacing the mesh grommets with open grommets).

8. sledjockey

sledjockey Skookum's Bro Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I also love my Tilley. It is the Airflow, but it does get a bit hot in summer. Good thing I don't live in the desert.....

9. OhCanada

OhCanada Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have several Tilley hats and dyed two brown. I also own a nylon Tilley but they should have put stainless wire in the brim as the brim will flop up as the slightest breeze. I wonder why Mr. Tlley let such a failure be on the market for so long without correction?

Also, does it seem like some cotton Tilleys no longer have open cell foam in the brim? It seems that my cotton Tilley from many years ago got a lot more stiff due to the foam when it rained than these new cotton ones. That was part of the selling point for me, a stiffer brim in the rain from open cell foam and floating from the closed cell foam in the crown (They still come with closed cell foam in the lid which you can remove in the summer if you don't do much boating).

10. geebob

geebob Tracker

Blog Posts:
    So true. I just ordered a Tilley T3 thanks to this thread... And I ordered it not because I need a hat, but because I'm curious about this Tilley hat :D

11. Briar Patch

Briar Patch Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My wife and I got our T3s when we started sailing. They'd stay on and not blow overboard.

12. JAFO_Jeeper

JAFO_Jeeper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Likewise, but an LTM3 for me is on the brown truck today. Also, I found out there's another Tilly, locally cross town. It's even in my size.... I'm trying to talk myself out of going "to see how it fits" because I suspect I'll buy it.

13. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Your head didn't shrink like the rest of you? Yikes!

14. DCP

DCP Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Haha a little bit still in the xxl hat club

15. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    like an orange on a toothpick! lol

16. JAFO_Jeeper

JAFO_Jeeper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Not so fond of the straps

Anyone else change up the straps a bit? I have a very similar hat (Outback Trading Company River Guide) and I changed the chinstrap arrangement to not use a toggle but a slider knot a la Tilley, with the slider at the rear. Used it while fishing for a week- not crazy about it.

I much prefer a toggle, with the amount of cord minimized so there's only about 8" hanging down the chest when both straps are cinched down (well, the rear one fits around the occiput, and the toggle is in the front). This makes it easy to hang on the back if not needed, or to stuff the cord into the hat when not needed. I find this MUCH more useful, and every bit as secure as the Tilly arrangement.

EDIT: I've received my hat- it's quite light, perhaps too light (but I'll forego judgement on that till I've worn it in the sun for a few hours). Mine's a khaki/olive LTM3, airflo. It's noticeably cooler (whole reason I bought the hat, really), but I'm still not a fan of the windcord arrangement. Can't imagine theres any benefit to using the slider knot over a toggle, except maybe not having the toggle in front. I always put the toggle to the rear unless I was in a squall, while I was in the Army, anyway.

It's a nice enough product, but overpriced (like all of their stuff). It's a niche market, so that's pretty much going to be the case. The lifetime warranty is nice, but honestly, I've got $15 hats I've had for 30 years, can't see it being something I'll ever need.

So, not a bad product, just a bit too much fanboy-ism I think. I could have much the same hat for $30 from DPC, without the panache. Panache don't get you home, or keep skin cancer at bay.

Of course, this could all change after a week or two of daily wear- but I'm not given to fanboyism, and I'm very rough on my gear. I just don't see this light little flimsy thing standing up. I hope to be proven wrong!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  17. jtkirkland

jtkirkland Scout

Blog Posts:
    I love mine too! it's my outdoor security blanket....

18. JAFO_Jeeper

JAFO_Jeeper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    OK so I ran home to intercept my Tilley at lunch yesterday, then wore it on the pier in 98 degree weather.

I'm impressed. I stayed a lot cooler, and could actually see where my sweat was being pulled away from my head by the fabric.

It may be "flimsy" as I said before, but it works. I'm still not sold on their variant of a windcord, but that's likely just my training- I've always been used to a toggle in front on my boonies. Easy, quick fix- paracord and a cordlock.

So far it's the best summer hat I own. Come the cooler weather, though, I can't imagine how a Tilley could possibly outshine my oilskins, which cost half the price or less.

19. JV Rooster

JV Rooster Guide

Blog Posts:
    Love my LTM5. Great hats.

20. Chazzle

Chazzle Idiot Savant Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I miss my Tilley... It was stolen a few years ago. I left it on the seat with the windows rolled down, and I came back and realized it was gone...along with my sunglasses. I have a USGI Boonie Hat now.

21. Jareth_Atian

Jareth_Atian Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I currently have an LTM5 and it is, by far, my favorite sunny-weather hat. Since I live in silicon valley CA, it gets a lot of wear.

I've been thinking of getting a TH4 for rainy days or when visiting family in less-drought-ridden locations. Are Tilley's hemp hats as comfortable as their synthetic ones?

Thanks!

22. JV Rooster

JV Rooster Guide

Blog Posts:
    I just ordered one today so when it arrives I will let you know how it is.

23. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  24. JAFO_Jeeper

JAFO_Jeeper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What is a "clymb"?? I'm interested in grabbing a cold-weather Tilly for a cheaper price.

Been wearing mine for a week now. I'm impressed with the hot-weather performance, but I'm not being gentle with mine. 1 week in and I'm fond of the hat, but not impressed the pinache is worth twice the price of a quite similar hat from DPC.

25. 45jack

Blog Posts:
    theclymb.com, get on their email list for gear deals.

I've had a Tilley tweed winter hat her several years and love it.

26. JAFO_Jeeper

JAFO_Jeeper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I see where the Clymb has a "LTM11" listed- but it's not listed anywhere on the tilley site.

Also, I see where there are Olive Tilleys, but they're not listed on the site either.

Is the Tilley site just not well-maintained?

27. Ravens Watch

Ravens Watch Curmudgeon

Blog Posts:

I've wondered the same thing. I came to the conclusion that Tilley tends to change models with some frequency, leaving stores to sell what they have. But I could be wrong.

The basics like the winter hat whichever model, those stay. But there seems to be a lot of hats that get listed, like links in old threads here for instance, that are just flat gone when you click on them, and a search reveals them at Amazon or some other retailer.

28. JV Rooster

JV Rooster Guide

Blog Posts:
    I just got a TH4 Hemp and it's a great hat. I also got the LTM5 and it's a great hat also.

29. Ravens Watch

Ravens Watch Curmudgeon

Blog Posts:
    How's the brim on the TH4? Is it floppy? The older I get the more I find I need to cover my head and face and neck, so a hat like that sounded great but I have a fear of the brim flopping around in the breeze.

Thanks.

30. JV Rooster

JV Rooster Guide

Blog Posts:
    Not at all bud. It's been on my head for the last 3 days and I like it alot. When I got it it was a little flat so I wet it down formed it and let it dry.

31. 45jack

Blog Posts:
    The broad brimmed hemp Tilley I have will slap you silly on a windy day.
    Maybe the new ones are stiffer.

32. JV Rooster

JV Rooster Guide

Blog Posts:
    Here is a pic of the TH4 Hemp.

Attached Files:

33. Ravens Watch

Ravens Watch Curmudgeon

Blog Posts:
    That looks like the brim's pretty thick. Thicker than the pictures on the Tilley site anyway. Maybe they've changed them? I dunno.

You say you formed it that way?

34. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Necro thread here... I love my Tilley. Since moving to Idaho I have worn it daily to protect my face and neck from the potent sun. It's a Tilley Airflo LTM6. Great hat, breathes well, and I think it looks good.

IMG_7542.jpg IMG_7543.jpg

azmike9 and Woodsman Wannabe like this.
  35. JD Miller

JD Miller Guide

Blog Posts:
    you can smoke it now