Timber Ridge Lake spring campout

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by hlydon, Feb 5, 2019.

1. hlydon

hlydon Guide

This one is written in stone and is happening rain or shine.

April 12-14 at Timber Ridge Lake in Scottown, Ohio. It’s in southern Ohio. I hope some of our northern brothers and sisters as well as non-Ohioans will attend.

I’m deferring to our Scottown local expert @LoneWeb to pick us a specific spot.

The plan is to paddle to a campsite. Depending on the campsite, a hike in could be a mile. We likely will have folks bringing canoes, so if you don’t have a kayak/canoe, you probably could ride with someone. Worst case scenario, we can carry your equipment in a kayak/canoe and you can hike in unencumbered. Don’t let lack of kayak/canoe stop you from joining us. I might even be able to bring an extra kayak.

So far @LoneWeb, @Blujakt, and I plan to attend.

@dadman, @WY_Not and @jswi2374, I plan to see you there as well. @CowboyJesus, pick up @Blackhawk45hunter and @sons of scotland on your way.

2. jswi2374

jswi2374 Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Sorry. No can do for me.
    If anyone wants to borrow a canoe or kayak, let me know.

3. hlydon

hlydon Guide

No wasn’t an option.

WY_Not likes this.
  4. jswi2374

As Westley says in The Princess Bride, get used to disappointment.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    CowboyJesus likes this.
  5. LoneWeb

LoneWeb Tracker

Can’t wait. I’ll get some pictures when I go there tomorrow playing around.

6. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

i really wish i could-but prom is that saturday night, or else i'd be reminding the missus how long it's been since i've been out with ya'll. that and, now that i've moved closer to wayne, i'm seeing you guys are collecting yourselves up on the west side of the state now!! if anything changes-if i think i can get out of prom (which is unlikely, but not written in stone yet) i'll let you know.

7. hlydon

hlydon Guide

It’s getting close—just a few more weeks until the Timber Ridge campout. I’m hoping this year’s April campout is a bit warmer than last year’s. No snow, please.

We plan to paddle across the lake to the campsite TBD by @LoneWeb. We should have extra kayaks/canoes, so if you don’t have something to paddle, just let us know. Please don’t let lack of a kayak/canoe stop you from joining this campout. Worst case scenario, we paddle to the site and then paddle back with empty kayaks/canoes for the next round of bushcrafters.

Once we have an idea of how many are attending, we can coordinate dinner and maybe a breakfast.

As of now, we have three confirmed: @LoneWeb, @Blujakt, and me. I hope to see some of the usuals, but it would be great if some of the newer guys/gals could make it out too. Let me know if anyone is coming from SW Ohio-Cincy area. You likely can carpool with me if you like.

LoneWeb likes this.
  8. LoneWeb

LoneWeb Tracker

Ill be going back out this weekend, do a little fishing and see how the spots i found are for getting the boats out. I hiked to them from another exit point last time while shed hunting. Ill post reports Sunday.
    I am almost certain Craig from Haggard outdoors on YouTube will be joining us as well. Should be a great time!

WY_Not likes this.
  9. LoneWeb

LoneWeb Tracker

They released trout yesterday, place was busy today, I took the kayak back to the spot I hiked too, plenty easy to get in and out...some green briers around but nothing to thick at the moment.
    Hiked around some, ramps are starting to come up.

Attached Files:

hlydon and WY_Not like this.
  10. LoneWeb

LoneWeb Tracker

Some more

Attached Files:

hlydon and WY_Not like this.
  11. LoneWeb

LoneWeb Tracker

Don’t forget tick repellent...they are already out down here, found a few crawling on me while messing around my property.

12. hlydon

hlydon Guide

I picked up a couple cans of permethrin a few weeks ago. I’ll try to remember to bring a can.

13. dadman

dadman Tracker

Im going to come I need someone to paddle the back of the canoe, anyone interested? I m just not experienced enough to drive the boat.Plan on bringing everything except the kitchen sink lol.

14. hlydon

hlydon Guide

@LoneWeb can you show a dropped pin on a map and/or GPS coordinates for the camp site you picked for us?

15. LoneWeb

LoneWeb Tracker

This is roughly the area....never been camped so we will have to build a fire pit/ring. Depending on how many of us there are we may want to hike to the top of the hill for more flat ground....or simply disperse a bit...
    Depending on weather, plan B would be an established spot back toward the point some (there is remnants of an old dock just past it) that is clear and on the water still having access to the same woodland to hike and forage.

Attached Files:

16. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Here is a photo from last year’s April campout. Let’s hope for better weather. Corey making biscuits and spicy gravy.

ADF32E0F-8057-40AC-B1CF-3AF025DF41A9.jpeg

cory3087 and CowboyJesus like this.
  17. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Speaking of Corey, what happened to him and his pal Swiftytoker?

18. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Let’s coordinate a Saturday dinner. I’d be glad to grab some ribeyes and taters for us. Anyone have other suggestions? We could coordinate another Saturday meal also if you want.

As of now, I believe we have 4 of us who are definitely going. Nevertheless, I’m sure we will have plenty of food for anyone else that joins us.

19. LoneWeb

LoneWeb Tracker

I’m gonna try to pack light things have really greened up in the last week since I was out there. I’m hoping the location A will still be clear enough, location B is always there if needed...just not as “in the woods”
    We gotta do a catch and cook at some point..not sure I remember how to properly clean a fish it’s been so long ...been a catch and release type for at least 20 yrs haha.
    I’ll bring Some fresh eggs , bacon and a flat griddle. I’m hoping morels are popping up but I’ve not heard any talk of finds yet.
    Greenbriers are greening up, they make a nice garnish or addition to things they say..I intend to find out this trip.
    Weather is looking like we may have a passing rain here and there Friday..and Sunday, the forecast is changing daily.

20. hlydon

hlydon Guide

I’d definitely like a catch and cook. I’ll bring supplies for a fish fry. I haven’t seen many reports of morels, but it still might be worth a short walk through the woods given the warmth and rain lately.

I’ll let you know Friday morning what time I plan to be there.

21. hlydon

hlydon Guide

I’ll bring ribeyes and potatoes for a Saturday meal. Hopefully a Saturday meal will also be fried fish. I’ll bring everything needed for a fish fry—knife, cutting board, breading, oil, buns for sandwiches, etc. Maybe someone has a side item they want to bring.

22. Blujakt

Blujakt Tinder Gatherer

I'll grab some sides, and dessert.

23. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Just remember to keep an ear out for banjos. :18::18::18::18::18::18:

24. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

man, ya'll making me wish i was coming-so i could bring my banjo!! lol

and yes, at this point, i would bring it for real if i was coming!

WY_Not likes this.
  25. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Just head down for a little while. Set up in a nice hidden spot on a hill above them and start playing. Move to new spot, play some more. Rinse and repeat till you are sufficiently amused then head home. :16:

hlydon and CowboyJesus like this.
  26. hlydon

hlydon Guide

We had fantastic weather from the time we set up Friday afternoon until late Saturday night and Sunday morning when the storms rolled through—off and on heavy rain, thunder and lightening.

My $75 Hitorhike backpacking tent held up well in its inaugural use. I stayed dry. Set up was quick and easy.

B845E550-208B-4D3E-A2E6-A182C28FB06D.jpeg

We set up about 2/3 the way up the hill from the lake on an old dirt road. @LoneWeb hung just down from the road.

D0A87084-BEFC-495D-891F-3ECF53B44880.jpeg

We had great food and drinks and of course cinnamon rolls a la @Red Wing.

2FFBBE67-4FD4-4698-B66C-109B21B49509.jpeg

Lastly, it wouldn’t have been a good trip without sharing our site with another outdoorsman and our new friend.

16A861C2-D06A-427B-9AF9-B02E19F709AE.jpeg

Homeward bound.

FA52453C-4F55-4F7C-B306-186108F38CD5.jpeg

27. jswi2374

Looks like y'all had a great time.

28. IllicitDreams

IllicitDreams Guide Bushclass I

Great stuff guys. I need to get out more this year.... Gotta start being more active on the site and camping again. LOL