Tired of hearing "Survival Situation"

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by IA Woodsman, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IA Woodsman

IA Woodsman Overwatch Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Lifetime Supporter Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about the rest of you folks but I am sick of hearing the phrase "Survival Situation". It has been beat to death on forums, Youtube, TV, magazines, and books. Why can't we just admit that we like going to the woods. Does it have to be life and death all the time. How many people have crawled out of a frozen creek, made stone tools, twisted cordage, and started a fire by friction to save their lives??? Believe me I get "it". I love putting myself in uncomfortable spot with minimal gear and meeting my needs. But I do it to entertain myself. I love working on my skills. I love watching other people work on their skills also. But it is very, very unlikely I will ever have to put my skills to use to save my life.

I am not saying I will never get lost or hurt. Heck the odds are great that one or both of these things will happen. But, there is a big difference between being uncomfortable for a night and fighting for your life. I guess it is all of the trumped up drama that goes with the "Survival Situation" that bugs me. I am tired of danger and death being around every tree. I am tired of a minor laceration turning into a life threatening cause of Septic shock. How about just put a band-aid on it and press on. How about going around that rock face instead of acting like that is the only way to get across a river.

I know it is not very entertaining for some people to show a person who was prepared go to the woods and have a good time, but that is what I would like to see and read about. Maybe I could learn a trick or two on tarp shelters, or a tasty new edible(flora or fauna). Heck maybe even enjoy the scenery. I guess that is why I enjoy the people who hang out here. We don't make up reasons to go build a fire, we do it for fun. If we want to go buck up a log with an axe or clear some brush with our favorite knife we don't make excuses we just do it. Rant over. I feel better now.

2. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    100% TOTALLY "F"ing agreed!!!!!!

I will add to the rant. I am tired of people asking what knife for a survival situation, what pack, what ever. How about the tools you have on you and your knowledge. That will save your life not the magic knife. People are living in a fantasy world. Most people do not die when lost. Usually they are cold, tired and hungry but rarely dead. Survival shows, books and talk has gotten out of control recently. It's a passing fad like it was in the early 80s.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  3. Iz

Iz MEMBER of a BANNED Hardwoodsman Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Big ol' phat quoted for truth.

4. Tech

Tech Solo Craft Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Well spoken IA. Every time I go on an outing for Bushclass or just because, I do it to learn and have fun. My family and friends think I am trying to survive. I almost get tired of having to explain myself. But our culture seems fixated on "survival situations" lately. Thanks for the rant!

5. tknife

tknife Scout

Blog Posts:
    I agree completely, and am also completely done with "survival knife" as well. With all the prepper and end of world stuff that has been popular lately, this stuff is popping up more than ever.

6. Forestman

Forestman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Heart of Europe at this time (although in my heart
    I could not say it better. Totally agree.

7. 556mp

556mp Bushwhacker Vendor Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    THANK YOU!!!!

:dblthumb:

8. oldbow

oldbow Scout

Blog Posts:
    Her-Her Mate, well spoken.

9. OutdoorEnvy

OutdoorEnvy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Preaching to the choir buddy!!!

:dblthumb:

10. Ned

Ned Scout

Blog Posts:
    What knife would you use in a recreational situation? ;)

11. Grizzix

Grizzix Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    True enough Terry. When I try to explain to the unanointed exactly what Bushcraft USA is I compare it more to Boy Scouts than to Bear Grylls. I just love camping and hiking and being outside. I don't want to figure out how to get myself out of a canyon with both legs broken, one arm severed and all I have is a stick of gum, an old innertube and a toothpic(even though I could ;))

Grizz

12. IA Woodsman

IA Woodsman Overwatch Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Lifetime Supporter Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Clever

13. DCM

DCM The more I know the less I understand

Blog Posts:
    Glad you took the time to say it and thanks.

14. Skab

Skab Staff Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Vendor Lifetime Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Survival sucks, Bushcrafting is fun.

15. divermike1011

divermike1011 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Pacific Northwest, the city with the Space Needle.
    Great rant, and I totally agree. I work in search and rescue and here is my unscientific thoughts on what people need to "survive" in the woods:

1. Education about their area -- if you understand the risks you can plan to mitigate them and have a good time as opposed to needing a rescue.
    2. Take a class in how to read a map and use a compass and GPS system. If you don't get lost your chances of having a good time in the woods go up.
    3. Carry the ten essentials as adjusted for your area. If you don't know how to use something don't take it until you do.
    4. Pick activities in the backcountry that are within your physical and psychological fitness ability. If you don't get hurt or overwhelmed you'll have a better time.
    5. Recognize that a combination of psychological resiliency and physical fitness are what allow people in true survival situations to prosper, not their gear.
    6. Carry the most idiot proof gear you can. If you find yourself in a true survival situation don't aid to your already high level of stress by complicated methods.
    7. Tell someone where you are going. Always. No debate on this. If people know you are lost they'll find sooner and you'll have a better chance of survival.
    8. Read accounts of real survival, not only are these humbling they'll re-enforce the above.

And for my personal pet-peeve: If you are over the age of nine stop looking like a SWAT ninja when you go in to the woods. I've been in the military you're not impressing anyone with your "tactic-cool" look and you're giving the general public a poor impression of people who enjoy time in the bush.

Michael

16. foxfire

foxfire Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thank you IA.

17. Adler

Adler Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Amen!

18. Duo3478

Duo3478 Scout

Blog Posts:
    this is true.

and i agree, way to much "Survival" stuff, i just like spending time in the woods and having to the gear, skill, to take nothing more than a 10lb backpack.

My GF asked me something along these lines the other day as i do watch some of the shows, read a lot of the books, and have a fair amount of gear and spend a lot of time adjusting my pack.
    She asked me " Why are you so fixed on all this survival stuff? when are you ever going to be in a situation like that again?" I respond " i don’t just do al this for a Survival situation" so then she asked " then why the hell do you spend so much time, effort, and money on all this stuff?" i responded " did you ever think maybe i just like to spend time in the woods?"

19. Fiddlehead

Fiddlehead Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nicely said IA.
    I sum up my interest in bushcraft with the thought of 'What's Possible with limited Resources'.

making fire with other than matches or lighter
    building a shelter when you have none
    what you can do with that sheet of plastic you’re carrying
    making potable water when you have none
    finding food when you have none
    cooking food without cookware and utensils
    what to do if sick or injured and there is no doctor
    practicing the mind set of staying calm when things go bad
    finding your way out when your lost
    what you should carry on your person to help solve a problem you might encounter
    What are your priorities
    knowing what to do 1st, 2nd, 3rd and so forth when caught out unexpectedly and not able to get home
    the answers to 'what's possible' are helpful and practical in the woods as well as when the lights go out.

20. saxon

saxon Guide

Blog Posts:
    Me to.

21. actichy

actichy Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Well said. I get enough of the end of the world garbage from the news and TV. Going to the woods doesn't have to be an expedition to a hostile planet. Go to the woods, enjoy time away from civilization, and relax. Be prepared, but not paranoid.

22. L.V

L.V Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Words well written. I rise my virtual hat.
    I think that if you are really practising for survival situation you actually fear to death to be in the woods. :9: Tho if that someone finds that fun (prepping) well maybe it is fine then, but I don't really understand it the level it's used.

23. GKiT

GKiT Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    rural America but not as far out as I would like
    One of the more recent things I have learned from this forum is that the difference between a survival situation and bushcraft is the abundance of and proximity to bacon and or Spam. Now I know why everyone loves to carve spoons and buy endless pots and pans...... eating, eating and more eating.

24. oldpagan

oldpagan Nature Worshiping Druid

Blog Posts:
    So there is no magic knife? :17:

25. jcl-MD

jcl-MD The Enigma Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I sensed a disturbance in the force and knew this was coming!

Thanks IA!!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  26. 64duracraft

64duracraft Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yes!!! And I even like reading the that type of stuff from time to time but not here!

This place is kept clear of certain subjects and that's part of the reason I come here.

It's bushcraft, not survivalcraft.

27. redmech

redmech Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    You stole the words out of my mouth.

The reason I am trying to learn friction fire is because its fun, not survival. I like to fish, but that doesn't mean I do it to prepare myself for when the "SHTF"

That is another term I get tired of "SHTF"

28. Jakuka

Jakuka Scout

Blog Posts:
    I agree IA. One of the main reasons I decided to join this forum was because the knowledge shared here seems to be centered on fun instead of critiquing tinfoil hat configurations. I've always been in and around the outdoors for as long as I can remember. But recently I've taken interest in learning more primitive skills and knowledge of fauna and flora. I do it more for the historical perspective- to try doing things the way my ancestors would have done them hundreds of years ago. Its part of history and it just happens to be a lot of fun. Making a friction fire provides a sense of satisfaction that a lighter never will. Its the same kind of feeling you get when you cook a home baked meal from scratch versus throwing a pre-made frozen dinner in the microwave. Some modern conveniences are easier, but they're just not as rewarding.

29. Ulfgrim

Ulfgrim Guide

Blog Posts:
    Well put IA. Having spent a year or so on a "survival" forum, I can fully attest I'm beyond fed up with it. I like testing my skills for that "what if" scenario (tornado alley and all that jazz), and for a glimpse into the lives of primitive peoples, but it's all fun first and foremost.

30. tickflicker

tickflicker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I thought every day was survival, go to the wood and water to kickback and soothe things out.

31. Howie

Howie Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I havnt posted much latley...

BUT THANK YOU!

And add to that, Im still waiting for all the "survialist" to show me their mighty vast wilderness's where all that is going to come into play, esp here in the US. ....

32. hglass

hglass Scout

Blog Posts:
    Several years ago before all the SURVIVAL MEDIA MADNESS i read ''alone in the wilderness'' looking back i wonder how Dick Proenekke SURVIVED without all the dread & drama in his outdoor excursions ?

33. flatlander88

flatlander88 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Well said all together but above is what I enjoy and watch for also.

Thanks

34. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Dirt Merchant Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I just like camping, with friends.

35. dailyselfreliance

dailyselfreliance Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would have to agree. I like to tell my family I'm going out for some dirt time. Yes I know its borrowed but its true. As for the survival knife, I think the term is rather funny considering that most survival knives are worthless and will fail you. A good knife that will do what you need to do anr or a saw is all you need but Rambo got the whole world excited about hollow handle knives and in most cases are useless. I suppose the fact that you can carry some small supplies in them is good, but try chopping or splitting wood and its over.

36. Machine27

Machine27 Ridicuously Good Looking Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Oh snap, this again.

I agree for the most part IA, I reckon people get hung up on the survival thing because it's exciting thing to think about and discuss.

Personally I just go into the woods for the fun and to become more self suffiecent.

37. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    THAT'S THE TRUTH!

THANK YOU!

Steve

38. Mr Moon

Mr Moon Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Amen I do not do the things because things are about to hit the fan. I have no clue if or when they will . I do this because it is what I enjoy I life. It is the way I have always lived and see no change. Just like riding my Harley this is my way of life. Thanks to most of you for adding to my experience.

39. herpingmad

herpingmad Scout

Blog Posts:
    i totally agree, i do it all for "the love of the game"
    thanks IA

40. rusty stove

rusty stove Guide

Blog Posts:
    what Josh said.

Good point- another issue (with me at least) is the fact that I have put far too much emphasis on aquiring gear, almost enough emphasis on gaining knowledge and have neglected my "bush fitness" if you will. I need to get in better shape- cardio wise- and do more hiking and land nav with less gadgets.

41. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    counting the number of times that phrase is used by a certain personality is one of the main reasons my daughter watches "Dual Survival"... pretty funny.

42. IA Woodsman

Blog Posts:
    Might make a good drinking game.

43. Machine27

Machine27 Ridicuously Good Looking Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Only if you wanna wake up in a strange place with no recollection of how you got there. :p

44. MiddleWolf

MiddleWolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for clearing the air. I just enjoy the ideas brought here for the sake of a more "minimalist" attitude when enjoying the outdoors. Although I know that these things could some day make the difference between life or death, so can a course in defensive driving. This is my #1 forum for these related subjects due to the lack of SHTF and who has the best bunker. The truth is that depending on what type of calamity befalls us, that will determine how we are able to react accordingly. At least here we learn ways to make do with items that do the same job as the high priced yuppie stuff (sometimes better) and have fun doing it. I look at it as being Boy Scouts for grownups and I'm having fun.

45. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    but but i wanna survive

♪ ♫ ♬ ♪ ♫ ♬ At first.. I was afraid,
    I was.. petrified,
    Kept thinking I could never live without you by my side,
    But then I spent so many nights just thinking how you did me wrong..♪ ♫ ♬

Do you think I'd lay down and die?
    Oh no not I ♪ ♫ ♬

♪ ♫ ♬ I will survive ♪ ♫ ♬
    Oh as long as I know how to love
    I know I'll stay alive

I've got all my life to live
    I've got all my love to give
    And I will survive
    I will survive
    Hey Hey! ♪ ♫ ♬

46. mac in mo

mac in mo Scout

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely the truth. I've been fed up with all the drama as well. It was so much better when it was just camping (it still is to me to, OLJ). Seems that many who go into the woods think or fantasize that they are going into combat, or that they are about to fall from the edge of the earth. I can't tell you how much I am in agreement with you on this. Well said!! Thank You!!

Kevin

47. Mississippi Rob

Mississippi Rob Scout

Blog Posts:
    Excellent point. Most folks do not realize that all the skills and tools in the world mean nothing if you are too out of shape to actually use them.

48. The Hunter

The Hunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Bro its simply a trendy phrase of the modern era use to convey multiple meanings like "really!?"

ex:1) I really dont like any pharse starting with or including survival?

2) REALLY, I mean like Really!?

1) Yes really you dumb#@*! I just said I really dont!

2) Wow! Really!?

1) Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

So in rebuttle the trendy phrase survival situations just rubs you wrong like the slaughtering of the Kings Speech irritates me fo-rizal Dawg but they are here to stay till a totally tubular new phrase replaces them which will be sweet. Till then it just will gag me with a spoon when you read survival situation.

:)

49. scoutsurvivor

scoutsurvivor Scout

Blog Posts:
    I go to the woods to live and breathe. I practice survival Monday through Friday from 8-4 every day and it sucks.

50. neverforget

neverforget Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Amen Brother !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.