Titanium G2 5" Firebox Stove

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by publicalias, Sep 11, 2019.

1. publicalias

publicalias Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The wait is over...I just receive my new Ti G2 5" Firebox Stove (#23)! No actual use yet, but I wanted to post some pictures that show it in comparison to the SS G2 5" Firebox Stove. There are at least a couple of differences from the SS version.
    1. The Ti stove is missing the dimples below the fire grate that hold the ash pan in a closed position to cut off air flow. This can be accomplished via the alternative method of using fire sticks.
    2. The Ti extended grill plate has a large offset in the middle.
    IMG_0313.jpg IMG_0345.jpg IMG_0319.jpg IMG_0320.jpg IMG_0318.jpg IMG_0323.jpg IMG_0314.jpg IMG_0324.jpg IMG_0325.jpg IMG_0332.jpg

AlexD, Bobsdock, 66drifter and 9 others like this.
  2. publicalias

publicalias Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Some more pictures.

IMG_0336.jpg IMG_0342.jpg IMG_0343.jpg IMG_0344.jpg IMG_0316.jpg IMG_0321.jpg IMG_0317.jpg IMG_0322.jpg

Bobsdock, Andster, Kona9 and 11 others like this.
  3. publicalias

publicalias Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well, I've only been able to use the stove twice. I made a small twig fire in it for a short period one evening and today, I grilled a thawed salmon filet (landlocked here) for lunch using lump charcoal. I didn't do a very good job since I was in a hurry (distracted with taking pictures as well) and ended up putting the filet skin side down first. Even with that mistake, I noticed that it is definitely different than cooking with the SS version. A period of 30 minutes elapsed from the first photo to the photo showing the hot coals and dirty grill. The last photo was taken 25 minutes later with enough heat to keep something warm. No warping of the stove yet and the grill plate did not warp at all in this test. I didn't leave the grill plate on prior or after cooking the filet.

IMG_0358.jpg IMG_0360.jpg IMG_0363.jpg IMG_0365.jpg IMG_0366.jpg IMG_0368.jpg IMG_0371.jpg IMG_0374.jpg IMG_0383.jpg IMG_0385.jpg

Bobsdock, Andster, 66drifter and 10 others like this.
  4. to Ha

to Ha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mmmmmmmm.....grilled fish. Sprinkle on some Zatarain's blackend seasoning and ohhhhhhhhhhhhh mama!

Bobsdock likes this.
  5. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the all of photos and data. What is your opinion on the Ti thickness and stiffness? I use an 8” cast iron skillet with my G2. Do you think that much weight would cause warping?

I’m very happy with my 5” Firebox and two stainless Nanos. Great products. I was tempted by the 5” Titanium, but couldn’t talk myself into one yet.

Today I did order a Ti Nano. The weight savings is only a couple ounces, but it’ll cool off quicker, and it’s USA made. My plan is to use the Nano Ti when ounces count, and will couple it with smaller/lighter pots. The heavy 5” G2 will be for car camping or trips where weight doesn’t matter and I can bring larger pots and pans for serving at least two mouths.

Bobsdock likes this.
  6. publicalias

publicalias Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I would not have a problem using one and think you would be fine with an 8” cast iron pan, but I don’t have experience/data to support that it would not cause warping (do it at your own risk). Although, it does seem a little contrary to using a titanium stove.

9465DC0A-6929-48C6-A1AD-AEF208F08009.jpeg

I like the Ti Nano and it’s versatility and I got both of my boys the SS versions. I bought my stoves back when any stoves purchased directly form Firebox Stoves were all made in the USA. The X-case was a nice addition since the nano doesn’t have a build in ash pan.

Yes, the SS G2 5” is great for car camping and I have used it for cooking meals for 6 people. It had been raining all week and kept raining intermittently during the day. We had a 12’ rain fly pitched and kept the stove going on the more easily obtained small dry limbs and twigs at the edge of the rain fly.

I did see that the owner of 001 posted a video.

Bobsdock, Andster, HK Forest and 3 others like this.
  7. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks.
    Yeah cast iron and Ti don’t make a sensible combination, but I can see myself ending up there accidentally.

My 5” G2 and first Nano are USA made, but the X-case kit came with an imported stove. Quality is the same, but I get a warmer feeling with the three letters stamped on the side.

Bobsdock likes this.
  8. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks very nice. I've been wanting to try a Firebox for a long time.

Bobsdock likes this.
  9. publicalias

publicalias Tracker

Blog Posts:
    So, as a follow-up to my observation on the stove missing the dimples below the fire grate that hold the ash pan in a closed position to cut off air flow. According to Firebox this was a convenience feature to only hold the grate while you were putting the fire sticks in place. Steve took it out due to manufacturing and the tooling when making this stove. He said he also doesn't have anything to do with the metal being different or thinner.

I informed them that I did like the convenience feature of the small dimples since it allowed the ash pan to be held in the closed off position when burning wood pellets or charcoal while using the adjustable fire grate. Since you would probably end up using the 4 fire sticks that I believe most people carry, one set to hold the adjustable grate and one set to cook on, it was nice having e dimples there.

Oni and Bobsdock like this.
  10. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    subscribing here

stumbled onto an SS model @ a garage sale for CHEAP and am trying to learn more about the way they work

i did order the adjustable grate and an extra set of cross bars

i can now move the grate up n down infinitely as desired and still have a set of bars to hold any sized pot i have(yet)

so far it has been a valuable tool while testing out a series of alcohol stoves of different design and different sizes

i can see where the Ti units would be desired by gram weenies

MORE TESTING AND PICS PLEASE

11. Andster

Andster Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have the original and love cooking on it. But it is heavy! I was hoping they would make a Titanium version. Thank you very much for your efforts

Bobsdock likes this.
  12. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Guide

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the Firebox family! They’re great stoves even at full retail.........but you scored.

You really need to spend a few hours on the Firebox channel on YouTube. You will learn a LOT from Steve, the inventor/CEO. His techniques, tricks, recipes, and adventures are all definitely worth your time.

Andster and HK Forest like this.
  13. Eric Westbrook

Eric Westbrook Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I wanted one, but wasnt quick enough to get one....sold out fast...not sure if he going to do another run or not.

14. publicalias

publicalias Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Oni, Eric Westbrook and HK Forest like this.
  15. Eric Westbrook

Eric Westbrook Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  16. Odd-Arne Oseberg

Odd-Arne Oseberg Scout

Blog Posts:
    Been busy with other things, mainly finding a new job, so I didn't even notice I got a mail about it. Ordered mine today with all the trimmings as that's what I got with my old SS one.

Yeah, the old one works fine for the car or whenever I don't have to carry it. This will be for backpacking when there's more people or I just want to play around with it.

Yes, it's excessive, like that's anything new. :18:

HK Forest and Oni like this.
  17. hotelZulu

hotelZulu Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is a bit out of the box, but do you think that the stove can be used as an oven? As in, the food goes inside of the stove, and the stove goes into a camp fire?

18. Odd-Arne Oseberg

Odd-Arne Oseberg Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was just thinking about that myself. Would be nice to find a fitting accessory for that.

The Firebox guy does plenty of baking and roasting on his youtube channel, though. Either with a Zebra pot or his fry pan. It's clear that if you're not super picky you don't need a dutch oven for doing this.

I think the main idea with the Firebox is it's versatility. It's just a smaller more contained option that lets you do what you would do with coals or an open fire. It's up to your imagination.

Oni and hotelZulu like this.
  19. Oni

Oni Guide

Blog Posts:
    $150, that’s $50 cheaper than the Bushcraft Essentials XL Ti last time I looked at it!

Not a bad price IMHO.

20. Odd-Arne Oseberg

Odd-Arne Oseberg Scout

Blog Posts:

I think it'll be superb.

All we need now is a 4" or an optimized non-convertible overkill mod.

Oni likes this.