Titanium plate fry pans?

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by Diogenes2000, May 16, 2018.

1. Diogenes2000

Diogenes2000 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been thinking of getting one of these to use as a lightweight fry pan. Has anyone tried this with much luck? I'm aware certainly that Ti is not great at distributing heat, but wondering just how poorly these perform over a bed of coals. Would be cooking things like sausage, Bannock, eggs, etc. The alternative would of course be the heavier carbon steel versions.

https://bushcraftoutfitters.com/toaks-titanium-plate/

2. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I've been eyeballing those Braumwell cold handle fry pans myself.

rsnurkle, bacpacjac and central joe like this.
  3. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
  4. Diogenes2000

Blog Posts:
    Those bromwell pans definitely look nice, I've been following that thread. I'm trying to shave weight in items that are 'extra' or luxury items though, and at 2 oz this fry pan fits that bill. Just not sure about Ti's performance in this role.

5. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
    Understood. I have no experience with Ti...hope you find the info you're looking for!

6. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
  7. Diogenes2000

Blog Posts:
  8. hdlv

hdlv Treen Machine Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you are trying to shave weight I'd skip the fry plate all together and go with a short wide ti cook pot that can double as both. however, if you really want to do some cooking I'd consider one of the carbon skillets. I've never used one of the ones mentioned above but I have handled one and they are light! Titanium can fry but it is not good at it.

9. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Ti transfers heat wickedly fast. You need to think slow cooking, minimal coals, and elevated. Not really for massive wood fire flame and direct contact with coals, otherwise you are going to burn things. Frying in oil works but there is a true fine line using titanium. Steel is more forgiving.
    Paderno blue steel pans with a pot handle lifter work well and are cheap.
    https://www.padernousa.com/blue-steel-pan-6-1-4-inch/
    https://www.amazon.com/Olicamp-328101-P-Aluminum-Pot-Lifter/dp/B01GTU75R0
    I have this fry pan and a Toaks Ti plate too for Ti cooking.
    https://www.amazon.com/Keith-Titani...479838&sr=1-3&keywords=keith+titanium+fry+pan
    A Paderno pan making bannock.
    IMG_3530.JPG IMG_3536.JPG
    If you can cook food on aluminum foil alone you will do just fine using titanium.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    rsnurkle, MrFixIt, anrkst6973 and 4 others like this.
  10. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've got a stainless steel plate that I often use as a frying pan. While it's not Ti, I will say that the things I like about it are that there's no handle to deal with, it's lighter and wider than my 8" cast iron skillet, and it makes a great plate too. Sometimes you just don't want to eat out of a pot or cup. (SHHH! Don't tell my Canteen Cup Cronies that I said that. LOL!) The things I don't like are that it doesn't have a handle, it doesn't have very high sides so it's not great for things that require much stirring, and it doesn't handle high heat well. It's done the job for me with my stoves or with a grill over the coals, as long as I control the heat.

rsnurkle, SoreFeet, MrFixIt and 4 others like this.
  11. Diogenes2000

Blog Posts:
    Thanks a lot for all the thoughts, folks! It may be that they are too finicky for their weight savings. I will have to decide between nothing, a bromwell, or a carbon version of this type of plate. But @bacpacjac may have convinced me against even that.

rsnurkle, MrFixIt and central joe like this.
  12. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I used an old steel pie tin for a long time, it held up well and the weight didn't bother me. The sides also made it work for a plate and small pliers made a great handle. Not what you ask, just my thoughts. joe

rsnurkle, SoreFeet, OrienM and 4 others like this.
  13. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    Another thing to think about is that titanium can make an excellet plate. Easy to wash in sand, durable, doesn't seem as cold to touch as aluminum or steel but it's going to cool more then plastic.

rsnurkle, MrFixIt and central joe like this.
  14. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    I didn't mean to do that! LOL!

I too am on the hunt for the perfect frying pan. I love my 8" cast iron skillet but it's heavy. I like my Chinook aluminum pan, but I hate the folding handles. I bought an old Wear-Ever aluminum pan that looks like a Bromwell, but it's finicky and I don't like the handle. (The main reason I'm hesitating about a Bromwell is that handle but I'll buy one if I stumble upon one. LOL!) I checked out the Pathfinder School, GSI and Stanley pans, but they're just more weight than I want to pack. On the other hand, they' be great for camp.

See, what I mean? Don't let me sway you because I am totally on the fence still, I just can't afford titanium. LOL!

rsnurkle, MrFixIt, PAcanis and 2 others like this.
  15. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    Me too! It was my first piece of camp cookware, given to me by my Grandma. I still have it, but it's got a couple of little holes in it now so I retired it. It will come out if I ever go to Scout camp again though, because Chef always smiled and gave me an extra bit of chow when he saw it. :D

16. Loogaroo

Loogaroo Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  17. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
  18. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That looks like it would make a great plate. Or a lid. Thanks for posting.
    I've been scouring the basement for my old camping cookware and grill and have no idea where the stuff is at. That Ti plate could fill the niche I've been needing filled. A decent sized plate that can multi-task.

19. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Scout

Blog Posts:
    TangoTag already beat me to it, I've been using ti for at least 10 years, the secret is "slower n lower". About the only time I open the jets up is to bring water to a boil, gotta have my coffee.:D

20. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    I just recently started using ti cookware. For boiling water you don't have to worry much since the heat transfers to the liquid. I picked up a SnowPeak plate with the same intentions. So far though the only cooking I've done on it was heating up a tortilla on an elevated grate over a fire.

Ti heats up and cools rapidly. I would guess that a thin bed of coals with no flame would be your best bet if trying to fry on a ti plate, but I've yet to have tried it myself. I might fry up some sausage on mine next weekend for breakfast. If I do I'll let you know how it works out. I went with the SnowPeak plate since it doesn't have the bevel on the bottom. I figured it would make for a better pan, bowl, plate with it's flat bottom. Only picture I have of mine.

[​IMG]Breakfast Coffee and Oatmeal by MJGEGB, on Flickr

21. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Scout

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

It's hard to see but the stove is barely on simmer, imagine trying to warm milk without scorching it. ;)
    These center cut pork chops take about 3-4 minutes each side with just a couple of drops of olive oil in the pan on each flip.

rsnurkle and bacpacjac like this.
  22. Blackhawk45hunter

Blackhawk45hunter Pronounced sim-bee-duh Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I have the Keith Ti frypan (unbranded Heavy Cover) and like it a lot. Worth the money in my opinion but don’t expect to be able to use it like you would cast iron. It’s much touchier about heat and is a lot easier to burn food with. I’ve found that when frying with titanium it’s best to pull a handful of coals away from the main fire, between two wrist sized logs and set the pan on the logs. You want as low heat as possible.

23. Galen blazer

Galen blazer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I ordered a cheap ti 8in fry pan from e bay see how that works i paid 7.99 free ship from china

Blackhawk45hunter likes this.