Titanium Spatula

Discussion in 'Park Swan - Wild Knife & Tool' started by Park Swan, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Why did I wait so long to make one of these? I'll definitely be making a bunch more. Super packable, lightweight, and it'd be the best spatula in my kitchen, let alone out in the woods.

[​IMG]

2. Brook Trout

Brook Trout Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's awesome! Selling or keeping it for personal use?

isme, rsnurkle, Bitterfists and 2 others like this.
  3. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I'll be including it in the next batch of titanium goodies for sale!

Matter of fact, whipped up another, couldn't help myself :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    (phone camera, that's why the quality of this photo is different)

4. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Very nice! I need a new pack spatula and titanium spatulas are hard to find.

isme, Park Swan and central joe like this.
  5. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Do you have a cost in mind for these? Would be great to throw in the kitchen kit for canoeing.

Buckhenry, isme, Park Swan and 2 others like this.
  6. central joe

central joe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Looks good young fellar. joe

isme and Park Swan like this.
  7. dsclowers

dsclowers Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That spatula looks awesome. Any thoughts on making a left-handed model where the slant goes in the other direction? It's hard being a south paw, I have the same issue when cooking at home in the kitchen.

Sbrody, isme, Bonekrakker and 3 others like this.
  8. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Not yet... pretty daunting! I guess if I welded up some forms to hammer over it might actually be a possibility.

Thanks!

Probably around $35, depending on whether I keep doing the handle like this with the stainless loop or if I use a titanium loop or forged ti handle.

Thank you!

Thanks, sure thing. I sell a good amount of wooden spatulas and I make them right handed. I used to carry a left-handed version with me to all my craft shows just in case, I had that thing for like two years. One day I was at a booth in San Francisco and a woman walked straight up to the table without stopping to look at anything and demanded "Do you have any left handed spatulas?" Sold it right there and haven't had a request for one since :D

If I put these up for sale and you see something you want in a lefty version just let me know and I'll make one just like it for the same price.

rsnurkle and IA Woodsman like this.
  9. xrayit

Blog Posts:
    I would be extremely interested in a left hand version as well, being left handed is a PITA when buying almost any piece of outdoor equipment.

Bonekrakker and Park Swan like this.
  10. HeadyBrew

Blog Posts:
    They look like they’d be pretty unobtrusive in a pack, but is it within your abilities to devise a hinge of sorts so the flat part folds up against the handle to make them more compact for nesting? Of course you’d also need to devise a way to lock it in place then when “unfolded” so it doesn’t collapse right when your turning that juicy burger over and dump it into the coals.

rsnurkle and Park Swan like this.
  11. dsclowers

dsclowers Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Park, I'll keep an eye out on your sub-forum. As xrayit pointed out, it is extremely difficult to find left handed outdoor equipment. There is a whole under served world out there. If someone could devote the energy and figure out the marketing I have no doubt they would be rich and famous. :)

xrayit and Park Swan like this.
  12. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  13. CampCowan

CampCowan Wabi Sabi Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  14. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I'd never thought about it. What kinds of other outdoor equipment are being hogged by righties? Fishing gear? I honestly have no idea :oops:

15. xrayit

Blog Posts:
    My biggest complaint is knife sheaths when I buy a knife I typically have to add another $50.00 to the cost to buy an aftermarket left handed sheath. Frame lock knives are right handed unless you buy the “one" model that is left handed. The one thing that always amazed me was hand grenades, they are right handed ... Yea there is a work around but really not a great work around considering the opps factor ramifications LOL. Then there are firearms in general, unless you buy a REAL left handed firearm ( rifle / shotgun ejection ports are on the wrong side for lefties) you are going to do some type of workaround and get hot casings in the face from time to time. I love the bottom ejection shotguns BTW. Fishing reels for the most part are not an issue, some fly fishing reels are not lefty friendly but for the most part not too bad.

16. HeadyBrew

Blog Posts:
    Dig it. Is that a titanium handle on this one?

Have you thrown your various prototypes on a scale to see which is the lightest incarnation thus far?

I’m not a gram weenie personally, but it seems anathema to not strive for as light as possible when talking slick titanium gear.

Have you found that sweet spot on handle length where you avoid singeing knuckle hair reaching over a camp fire but not so long to be awkward?

(Never imagined I’d get so excited over a spatula)

17. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Oh man, hot casings to the face is a bummer, but grenades being right-handed is just insane.

Not yet with these spatulas, but that stainless wire frame handle is lighter than the forged ti. Forging thin enough to be lighter than 2 x 1/8 rod is actually less comfortable than the wire style handle. I'm ordering some titanium 1/8 and 3/16 rod to try making wire handles with because it should allow for a thicker wire while still being lighter, and conducting less heat to the hand.

I think any packable/backpacking lightweight spatula is going to need to be pretty short, and might be best for use with small fires or camp stoves. However, the wire handle has another advantage here because it's easier to do a quick lashing job to the wire handle for reaching across a bigger heat source.

rsnurkle, svh and HeadyBrew like this.
  18. HeadyBrew

Blog Posts:
    I think you’re on to something here my friend. I’ll be lined up dollars in hand when you’re ready to sell.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    Park Swan likes this.
  19. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Being able to lash onto a stick would be great. Or make it like a frog gig. Nothing but the spatula and a round channel to wedge a stick into. Then you won't have to worry about the whole dissimilar metals thing.

Sbrody and Park Swan like this.
  20. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Like a socket handle? That'd be cool but I can't think of a way yet to do it cleanly with the tools I have.

21. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure what it's called. Socket handle?
    You know how frog gigs have that hollow tube you can wedge a stick into? Something like that only for a much narrower stick.
    It wouldn't need to be a closed tube. You could leave the wrap open to it has some spring to it. Similar to how a pocket clip slides onto a pen.
    I can see it in my head, but that doesn't help, lol. Plus I don't know if Ti can be heated red and formed.

Park Swan likes this.
  22. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, like a shovel, right? But with some spring. Ti can be forged hot but I'm not going to pretend like I'm the best blacksmith around. I think without making a form for it that socket would be a challenge in ti because it can be finicky and cause it needs to be so small. But it sounds doable! I might give it a shot when I have a few minutes to play.

svh likes this.
  23. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    I used to be a sheet metal worker, but know nothing about actual forging.
    If you can heat it red you might be able to form the socket over a piece of 1/4" gas pipe clamped in a vise. Or a 3/8" steel rod.

hmmm, I have an idea... I'll be back.

Park Swan likes this.
  24. svh

svh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  25. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Where is the take my money button?

26. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    OK. I'm back. I got caught up doing something else, like working, lol.

Something like this:
    spatula.JPG

You don't even need to forge the socket. Just fold it over so it can pinch your handle. If Titanium can bend that is. I don't know how brittle it is.

Park Swan likes this.
  27. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Is that a piece of kydex? Nice!

PAcanis likes this.
  28. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    It is. Thanks :)

I guess I might as well see how it holds up. I just need to remember not to leave it setting in the pan, lol.

Park Swan likes this.
  29. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Might as well! I'm going to have to think about this idea, it makes a lot of sense though. I think it might need to be a flat-ish socket so that the spatula can't spin, especially if you need to carefully flip something heavy like a chunk of meat.

30. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    I think a flat socket would be perfect. Less bulk, too.
    Mine is kind of oval. I used a carpenters pencil for the initial shape because it was sitting there. The stick is more flat towards the end.

Park Swan likes this.
  31. Sbrody

Sbrody Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'd be in for a lefty version.
    I also like the idea of a socket handle if that's the correct name for it.

Park Swan likes this.
  32. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What about a hole on each side of the "socket" to slide a pin through? Even a large bobby pin would work to keep the stick/handle from spinning in the "socket".

Park Swan likes this.
  33. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    The new and improved handle lock.
    It literally snapped into place. It was a real bear getting back out without destroying the notch to snap a picture.
    1.JPG
    2.JPG

Park Swan likes this.
  34. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Nice timing, I was just thinking of a wedge lock actually. That looks good, dunno if it would work with a ti version or not.

PAcanis likes this.
  35. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    That could work. It'll be fun to fabricate a handle in the field, but I need to figure out where the sweet spot is between something that's convenient and easy to make a handle for (tapered stick, 1-2 min) and something with more time or complexity (wedge, drilled hole, etc, 5-10 min)

PAcanis likes this.
  36. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Is there a better life than talking homemade spatulas on Bushcraft USA while The Revenant is on in the background? lol

You'll have to play around with the titanium and find out, Park.

Park Swan likes this.
  37. rcwells

rcwells Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What if you had a L-shaped slot? A small nib on the handle and it slides in and turn a quarter turn to lock it in?

I can draw if it doesn't make sense but it's a common thing.

Park Swan likes this.
  38. dsclowers

dsclowers Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hi Park,

I haven't been on BCUSA in a long while due to work, travel, and a little elk hunting but it looks like you did make (and sell) a left-handed spatula. The picture in the Vendor classifieds looks very interesting. It looks like a left handed version of the picture below where you are holding it in your hand. What are the dimensions of that spatula -- it looks huge. Would you consider that "backpacking" size? It's hard to compare size in pictures but it looks like a couple of the right-handed spatulas in the "Titanium Spatula" thread look smaller.

It also looks like you have 2 different handle styles. The forged style below and more of a wire style. Are there any differences between them besides looks?

Any thoughts on a spatula with no slant? That would probably be perfect since a right or left handed person could use it. Since I'm usually the only left-handed person in a group, it would be extra weight if we had to carry two spatulas (left and right handed). I use one of these at home for eggs, pancakes, etc. since I haven't been able to find a left handed spatula. The slits aren't needed.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Diamond-...iPack-in-Assorted-Colors-2-Spatulas/138412529

Maybe I should be asking these questions via PM but I thought they were good questions that other people may be interested in too. Please let me know if I should switch to PM. I'm definitely interested in buying a spatula.

Thanks,
    Doug

[​IMG]

Park Swan and Wasp like this.
  39. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Im so confused about the left handed spatula issue... I'm a righty but I lived in germany very young and learned to use a knife etc left handed. When I cook I hold the pan in my right and spatula with my left and flip stuff bottom to top... did I learn to do that out of compromise??? Im so confused and now my head hurts.

Those spatulas look super useful!... I want one :)

Park Swan likes this.
  40. Wasp

Wasp Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    They're beautiful.

Wonder how a hinged version would work where the spatula would fold to the handle? I'm not beating up your design at all, just thinking out loud.

Park Swan likes this.
  41. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the feedback and thoughts! I'm all about discussing this stuff openly and I really appreciate it. The way I see it this is all super fun and I want to make stuff that people actually want to use.

The one in the picture you posted is the largest I made and I definitely was thinking of more of a general camping use than ultralight backpacking for that one, mainly because it'd be harder to use one that size in a smaller packable pan.

The wire handles are stainless steel and are actually a bit lighter than than the titanium forged handles. Biggest difference is aesthetic, and feel. I wouldn't say that the forged titanium is more comfortable even, I quite like the feel of both and really it's just down to preference. They are both oldschool in different ways if that makes sense. All of the spatulas are packable in the sense that they're flat-ish and hard to damage so they can be stuffed anywhere (in the pack). Trying to fit them within a mess kit would require something smaller in length or foldable.

I like the idea of a more symmetrical shape and may just do that moving forward. Haven't tried it yet.

I don't know... I do the other way. Thanks!

Thanks! I'm sure it would work if I did it right, but I'm not sure if it's the kind of thing where it'd be worth my time unless I really figured out a simple way for my process.

Wasp and Vanitas like this.
  42. dsclowers

dsclowers Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the reply and consideration of a more symmetrical shape. There are more experienced backpackers on here than me that could probably come up with the "perfect" size for a backcountry spatula. Maybe something with a flat part about 2ish inches wide and 2.5ish inches deep with about a 5 inch handle? Is there any heat transfer difference between the stainless and titanium handles? Can you hold both / either with bare hands? I think both look nice but the forged ti seems to have more character.

Thanks again,
    Doug