To use or not to use - that's tha' question

Discussion in 'Axe Mob' started by Staleym, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Staleym

Staleym Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    • Hey there. I'm a first time hanger and need advice. I received a TrueTemper Flint Edge head from a new friend at the Millersylvania Gathering last month. Going to restore if the best I can given my tools. I bought a new heft at my Ace Hardware. Its a Link's 28" Bois Axe. It was the only one they had. I looked at it before purchasing - grain orientation pretty good, neck fit the eye well, appeared straight. I took it home and unwrapped. Really impressed that the head fit about 1/4 down on neck before needing to shave the neck. Then I noticed the heft was warped.

• . Handle2.jpg Handle1.jpg - Handle3.jpg

• I know that hefts can be steam reshaped, I don't have the workspace or set up to soak and steam a heft to straighten it. So, if I hang it with this heft, how distorted will be my swing be? Is it something that with practice can be overcome? Should I just wait until I find a more prefect heft?
    Any comments based on experience will be both considered and appreciated.

Woody/staleym

2. ArmyMacE

ArmyMacE Husband, Father, Woodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That warp isn’t that bad honestly. You could go a couple ways on straightening out the haft.

1) use it as is

2) boil a towel and wrap the hot towel on the haft, then place a counter weight on it to pull the bend out

3) store it improperly on purpose to pull the haft out the other direction( laying or leaning against a wall)

4) tie a rope to it with a weight and let the weight pull the bend out slowly

There is a whole slew of ways to do it. The warp may return over time with any of these methods though.

It may be more time efficient to return it and find another though.

Grain orientation isn’t overly important as some make it out to be. It will add some longevity, especially with over striking and hitting the haft itself in the pieces your cutting or splitting.

Thanks,

Jarrod

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    Edwin Moss, Muleman77 and Staleym like this.
  3. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Since I personally hate returning things, and I'm guessing that you gave around $14 for it, I suggest hanging it and trying it out. If it bothers your swing simply pull it and buy another one.

Muleman77 and Staleym like this.
  4. Staleym

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Guys! I find your thinking to be right on target. I will hang it. It'll be good practice. I have an American Felling axe that needs re-hafting as well as a cheapo Hatchet. That will give me the Felling Ax, the Bois Ax (I know it's boy's ax, but I think that "Bois" as in "Woods" or "Tree" Ax is the more accurate term), the new Husq Carpenter/House Ax I just got and the Camp Ax/Hatchet. I will post pictures of at least the Bois Ax when done.

Warmest regards,
    Woody/staleym

5. Ptpalpha

Blog Posts:
    Excellent decision! Have fun, and definitely post pics when you're done.

Muleman77, ArmyMacE and Staleym like this.
  6. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You could also try laying it flat with something heavy on the handle when not using it.

I know that oftentimes handles get warped from leaning them against hte wall, and changes in temperature and humidity will cause them to warp, so stands to reason the same process could straighten it. I'd leave it in someplace like the garage with a weight on it and let the temperature and humidty changes do their work.

Muleman77 and Staleym like this.
  7. Bucksnort

Bucksnort Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have used #2 from army mace with paper towel, two blocks and a bar clamp with great results!

Staleym, ArmyMacE and Muleman77 like this.
  8. garry3

garry3 Scout

Blog Posts:
    It's not hard or complicated to straighten them. Here is a couple ways.
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/straightening-crooked-hafts.199046/

Staleym likes this.
  9. Staleym

Blog Posts:
    Hey there. So the True Temper Bois Axe Project is progressing. I have filed down the mushrooming on the poll, sanded the wax off the heft, drilled a lanyard hole for a Buffalo Leather thong, and the neck is about 3/4 shaved to fit the neck. I'm a little concerned to about getting the shoulder area shaved down without over shaving! Just gonna go slow. I have also de-rusted the head and have sandpaper in grits from 100 - 400 to hand polish the head.

20181206_153706.jpg 20181206_153715.jpg 20181207_162003.jpg

20181210_043020.jpg 20181210_043040.jpg

I have a couple of questions. 1) As a working ax, as opposed to a competition ax, is there a reason to choose mirror polished head vs. a painted head- if so why/why not? I was planning to paint it to prevent rust though haven't committed. 2) If I paint the head, is there a particular primer and paint combination that will stand up to use longer than others?

Warmest regards and looking forward to seeing some of you at Wintergeddon XIX,
    Woody/Staleym

ArmyMacE likes this.
  10. ArmyMacE

ArmyMacE Husband, Father, Woodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:

Super high polishing is just for show or for yourself. My opinion..

There is some merit to it (high polishing) for rust prevention, and sap build up. I personally never noticed a difference on my two users.

I like doing both painting and polishing. My axes are for me though... I have done some as gifts and used several coats of gun bluing. That turned out nice. I’ve always wanted to learn the electric way of doing it.

Your project is looking good so far! Keep at it!

Thanks,

Jarrod

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Edwin Moss likes this.
  11. Staleym

Blog Posts:
    Hey there Jarrod. Thanks for your thoughts and the encouragement! Hope to show it off next month.

Edwin Moss and ArmyMacE like this.
  12. fishiker

fishiker Scout

Blog Posts:
    It may be too late but if you're still deciding to paint or polish I've had good luck treating axe heads with Frog Lube. I restored one for my brother last year. I hand polished as best as I could then treated with Frog Lube,so far so good.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Staleym likes this.
  13. Northwest Axe

Northwest Axe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just like to polish things, but I definitely notice a polished bit will cut better. Only polished one full head and may never do it again, at least with my current bench set up.
    [​IMG]

A17, Ptpalpha and Staleym like this.
  14. Staleym

Blog Posts:
    That's a purty axe! I'm hoping to get my two projects finished for next weekend. Looking at having to put our dog down this weekend.

15. Ptpalpha

Blog Posts:
    @Staleym , my heart goes out to you, my friend. I've been there many times, and it never gets easier.

Staleym likes this.
  16. Staleym

Blog Posts:
    Hey there. Today had it's downs and ups. Put my dog down this evening. She had breast cancer. Took her on last walk this afternoon.

Vashti_2010.jpg A good, beautiful dog, a good beautiful friend. She will be missed,

But then, I finished my first axe project. Yeah! My new True Temper Flint Edge Bois axe. I went with a semi-mirror polish because I think it would require removing more metal than I want. Still works for me. The hang went really well. Here are some pics:

finished1.jpg

finished4.jpg finished3.jpg

finished2.jpg

finished5.jpg

Pretty happy with the profile. Sill need to work on sharpening the micro bevel.

finished6.jpg

Notice the nice phantom cheeks that became visible with the polishing.
    finished7.jpg

Thanks to everyone who supported me with encouragement and responded t my questions with sage advice. It's not perfect, yet perfectly serviceable for my first effort. Will try to get the double bit hung before Wintergeddon trip on Friday. Will keep you posted.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    A17 likes this.