Toaks 750ml with Bail Handle

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by DaStoner47, Jan 22, 2018.

1. DaStoner47

DaStoner47 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am interested in picking one of these up, can anyone speak to their quality?
    [​IMG]

2. LFowler

LFowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had one for awhile.

Be aware that there are two versions, one where the side handles are parallel to the bail (as pictured) and one where they are perpendicular. I couldn't decide which was better, but had no complaints.

The quality is well passed "good enough" but by no means is it MSR or Snow Peak titanium quality. The differences between toaks and higher end ti is hard for me to articulate, but I think it is fairly apparent when you handle them. I don't think the quality difference amounts to any real performance difference but I am vulnerable to intangibles.

I thought the bail made the bot far more usable then your average mug, but did make it more of a bear to pack in a bag.

SoreFeet, rsnurkle, Bobsdock and 3 others like this.
  3. Hawkcreek

Hawkcreek Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have had one for years and I've been quite happy with it. Back then they only made the bail perpendicular to the handle, it bothered me enough that I emailed them about it asking them to turn it. A year or so later they began selling the bail that way. That is the only thing I would change about my pot. I dont have a lot of Ti stuff but I've been happy with mine. The bail can be a bit harder to deal with but it comes out pretty easily so you can stow it separately.

4. PaPa K

PaPa K Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have had the original 750 with bail for years (along with several other Toaks pieces) and have had zero issues. I have looked at the more expensive stuff and it is nice, maybe a hair thicker stock, but my Toaks gear has proven to be a good value for me.

5. lutz-berlin

lutz-berlin Scout

Blog Posts:
    nice small pot
    [​IMG]

Kreger and J. Pierce like this.
  6. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    DaStoner47 and Kreger like this.
  7. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Perpetually Off Topic, Sorry. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've had one for a few years now.

That top bail gets a little in the way at times when packing it in some side pouches. But I would hate to be without it.

Occasionally I wish it was bigger, but that would defeat the purpose of carrying a tiny pot.

I will lose the lid sooner or later, but that'll be my fault not Toaks.

I'm very happy with mine for the way I use it.

Edit:
    Figured I could toss a photo in here, since I stumbled across one looking for something else.

IMG_20160711_115251783.jpg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  8. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    As others have said the bail will get in the way during packing, makes it difficult to get into stuff sack. I made a cuban fiber stuff sack and added a gusset to allow for the added bail width. I own both versions and like the bailed version better. I do like Keith brand Ti better than Toaks but only because of the finish. Toaks has a rough finish were the Keith has a smoother finish. Keith Ti with a bail is hard to find and snow peak has long lead times for delivery and additional cost. If I had to buy a Ti 750 ml pot with the bail again I would buy anther Toaks.

SoreFeet, rsnurkle, superpaco and 3 others like this.
  9. Gumbi

Gumbi Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I really like mine! It has a bail, it nests with my stainless water bottle, it nests with the toaks wood burning stove (backpacker size).
    The handles and the lid lifter are really well thought-out! The only thing I would change is the poorly fitting lid, but it's a minor issue. I would definitely buy the toaks pot again.

10. DaStoner47

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Guys!

J. Pierce likes this.
  11. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I love mine. One of my favorite pieces of kit.

I had a similar sized aluminum one without the bail, and the Toaks was a huge upgrade. The bail is a necessity, imo. The lid is quite nice. The little stuff sack is a good bonus, and the price is right.

12. pecktron2000

pecktron2000 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I like mine. It is very lightweight and water boils pretty quickly in it compared to SS. Be careful not to bend the pot or the lid may not seat well on top. That happened to mine and I have never been able to get the lid to sit flush on top again. However, the lid for the Stanley cookset will sit perfectly on top (even though the pot is slightly bent/not perfectly round) and the lid from the Toaks will sit perfectly on the Stanley.

SoreFeet likes this.
  13. Jasonacraft

Jasonacraft Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely love mine and let everyone know it too. It’s the only piece of kit that moves from pack to pack, kit to kit. I have other pots, sometimes the come along, put this one has been my constant companion for years. Change knives, change, ferro rods, change stoves even. Bags, cords, compasses, quilts, all that. But not this pot, not for me. Lol

SoreFeet and superpaco like this.
  14. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Still going Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I got the MSR tittanum Titan
    No complaints.

LFowler likes this.
  15. LFowler

LFowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is actually what I switched to after the toaks, I am more impressed with the quality (especially the lid fit) love the extra capacity but I do sometimes miss the bail.

Bobsdock likes this.
  16. hangkerchief

hangkerchief Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yes, have one and like it for backpacking. It fits inside a DIY twig stove/wind screen/pot stand fashioned from a beef stew can. Inside the 750 ml fits my 300 ml Snow Peak TM mug, inside that is my folding spork (shown above) and my Fancy Feast alcohol stove. Great setup! By using the bail for hanging while cooking I certainly spill it less often.

Jasonacraft likes this.
  17. DaStoner47

Blog Posts:
    The Bail is definitely what drew me to it.

Jasonacraft likes this.
  18. Forestree

Forestree Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I bought this pot just this past year to try and lighten my work/day pack load and still be able to heat up some lunch/drink in the woods. In the past I’ve used an esbit pot and alcohol stove setup and is great but I decided to try and find a lighter way to do it without the need for a fire. The pot is light and seems fine to me and I like the bail. My lid doesn’t fit tight but doesn’t seem to be a problem. I paired this pot with a toaks spoon, a Ti windscreen and solid fuel stove. I’ve liked it so far and it’s super light and easy to use.

[​IMG]image by Tom Roo, on Flickr

[​IMG]Untitled by Tom Roo, on Flickr

19. Avohei

Avohei Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just got one of those to use instead of my zebra 12m pot. Love the zebra but it's really hard to pour from.

It's a pot so it'll cook what I need it to. The bonus is the side handles, my nalgene nests in it and both fit into the outer side pocket of my bag. Can't wait to start using it! Probably use the toaks until I get a heavy cover kit.

20. Broke

Broke I found my hat! Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have the 1100ml version, it replaced in part my keith ti 3 pot set. I like it it, i do prefer the finish of the keith stuff, but the toaks is perfectly fine.
    The bail was the biggest factor fir me wanting to switch. I dont always use a pot hanger, but if i want to i wpuld like to be able to without any wire or other jury rigging.
    I also bought the 450ml cup, mwant to order the 750. I actually like the smaller size for a trail cup.

My cook gear mix is as follows:
    Hc canteen/cup
    Hc frypan
    Toaks ti 1100ml pot
    Toaks ti 450 ml cup
    Hc spork

I have a zebra 14cm pot for larger gatherings. And still have a couple of 750ml ss cups. A selection of small cast iron fry pans, a steel cold handle frypan etc.
    The Ti stuff goes to the woods in my oack, the rest is more car camping gear.

21. silent chad

silent chad Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've got several toaks pieces and really like them, I don't have the 750ml with the bail, but I got a valtcan brand just like it for christmas. Seems to be good stuff for about 5 bucks less than the toaks and the bail is oriented so that I can use it as a mug.
    I was using a toaks 900 ml and a toaks 550 ml.
    I like the 900 because the width of the pot gives a few more cooking options. but in my small pack, the 750 takes up less real estate and the bail sure is handy.
    I have had zero problems out of anything toaks so far.

rsnurkle likes this.
  22. to Ha

to Ha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I disagree with an early post that Snow Peak, etc are better quality. Unless heavier/thicker is deemed better quality. In that case choose MSR stainless pots :)

I prefer lighter yet still well-made to heavier so it's all in what you seek.

slowtaknow, silent chad and aaronu like this.
  23. Nightflyer

Nightflyer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've used everything from Civil War hot tin dipped sheet iron muckets to titanium camp pots at one time or another. This is just my opinion, but any camp pot worth a darn has a bail. Without a bail you're just cooking in a mug.
    I really like my Toaks 750 ml pot.

24. WhisperInThePine

WhisperInThePine Wubba lubba dub dub Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I keep looking at the 750 ml and the 1100 ml toaks. i like the idea of a 1 liter pot for boiling water for sanitizing, I can boil more with less effort in a shorter amount of time. Even though I carry a water filter, I still like that back up.

Any benefits for going smaller besides easier to pack?

silent chad likes this.
  25. Forestree

Forestree Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    My thought process on the smaller pot was based solely on getting the smallest pot to do what I expected of it, which was: be able to cook a pack of ramen, heat a can of soup and be able to boil 2 cups of water. It was strictly for my daily carry pack though I've used it for minimalist overnight trips as well. I will go over a week carrying my pack and not have used the pot, so smaller and lighter is less of a burden.

26. woodsranger

woodsranger Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have one and love it. I used to carry a Mors 1.1L pot, but now that I'm older and perhaps more realistic, I'm downsizing. For just boiling water and drinking tea, it's all I need.

slowtaknow and silent chad like this.
  27. Greebe

Greebe Non ducor, duco. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Did you ever buy one? I have had one for over a year now and really like it. In the past I mostly used either a Zebra 10cm or 12cm pot. The Zebra 10cm is almost exactly the same size but 4 times as heavy. Wish they made this same post configuration in the 1100ml or 1300ml. I would buy one tonight if they did. Used my 750 with bail today in the snow storm we were having. Love it.

IMG_2127.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    J. Pierce and Broke like this.
  28. woodsranger

woodsranger Scout

Blog Posts:
    Toaks 1300 with bail handle:

https://www.amazon.com/TOAKS-Titani...ds=toaks+titanium+1300ml+pot+with+bail+handle

blind & lost likes this.
  29. Greebe

Greebe Non ducor, duco. Supporter

Blog Posts:
  30. zelph

zelph Guide Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't have the Toaks but I did pick up a Tomshoo brand. The Toaks with lid weighs 3.9oz and Tomshoo weighs 4.5oz

I modified the Tomshoo so I could also use an alcohol stove with it combined with a conical titanium windscreen. The Tomshoos are on ebay for $25

I'll be listing some Tomshoo kits this week in the classified.

DSCF3774.JPG

31. Cattle Bandit Lawson

Cattle Bandit Lawson Scout

Blog Posts:
    Never had a 750 but I own the 1300ml with bail. 750 maxes out for solo cooking. While the 1300 does it all. I got my 1300ml down to 3.3oz and besides the bulk, I wouldnt use anything else unless I am doing super minimalist ul cooking in a 550ml