Tobacco for bee stings.

Discussion in 'Bush Medicine' started by LedZep13k7, Jun 15, 2011.

1. LedZep13k7

LedZep13k7 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My grandaddy taught me a trick when I was really young to put cigarette tobacco with saliva or water on bee stings. It works great to draw the stinger out and it takes away the pain. I just thought I would share this trick in case someone hasn't ever heard about it. (I don't know if its a popular thing or not.)

2. Corso

Corso Guide

Blog Posts:
    Cant say I’d actively encourage contact with a known Carcinogen myself

3. Vot

Vot Scout

Blog Posts:
    Fair point Corso, but I'd say that a spit of tobacco on a bee sting's a bit far removed from decades of burning dried leaves and sucking the smoke into your lungs mate.

4. flycruiser

flycruiser Tracker

Blog Posts:
    ledzep13k7, my uncle used to do that for me too. Can't really remember if it took much of the pain away or not but down here people sure do recommend it.

PS: I actually know where Slapout is! I have friends over in Flea Hop.

5. Corso

Corso Guide

Blog Posts:

Its achieving the spit in the first place, also cancer wise its responsible for mouth, lip, tonge, larynx, and lung cancer to name a few where its directly atributed to contact but seeing as there's also a link to kidney, bladder, pancreas, stomach, and others its best avoided altogether - would imagine if it was common regular practice to rub tobacco into the skin it would be on the list too.

Maybe however I'm over sensitive but that probably comes from 16+ years of working with cancer patients.

6. Aguineapig

Aguineapig Scout

Blog Posts:
    Seems to me that most of the problems come from the chemical additives, unless you are burning the tobacco (I.E., I have never seen anything convincing that chewing my own home grown tobacco would result in cancer). So use additive free for bee stings. Smoking is a different cup of tea due to the soot created by combustion.

7. dwightp

dwightp Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Recent North Florida transplant from Northwest Geo
    So how often do you think you would get stung and put a dab of tobacco on the spot? It's not like it happens every day to someone. I seriously doubt that tiny amount would cause them to have cancer. My Grandaddy did it for me a couple of times when I was a kid. Fortunately, I have remained cancer free from the ordeal.

8. dixiefloater

dixiefloater Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hey...I'm a life long slapout resident too!!!!!

9. wls

wls Scout

Blog Posts:
    A paste of baking soda OR meat tenderizer applied to the sting also helps.

10. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder

Blog Posts:
    I remember when I was a kid, maybe 6-7 years old, got stun by a Bee, and my Grandma, took me down to the crick and made up a mud pack. Wrapped it up in my Grand Dads bandana and it worked like a charm

11. Hiline

Hiline Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Most likely the guy's that use this trick will probably pull a plug from their cheek of a stick for the pack. They're probably not too concerned about the cancer risk. If you don't smoke or Chew then there are other ways, I'm not about to ask my buddy for a wad of his chew to put on my be sting. I use copenhagen to stop minor bleeding. Sting like the dickens but works.

12. Corso

Corso Guide

Blog Posts:
    my main issue was the chewing of it not a very limited application - however I wouldn't do it myself especially if I was a bee keeper.

Cant say I agree with that, I do recall reading some of the original work when I was a student it was undertaken using tobbaco leaves - it was a paper copy from the institutions basement library and its a shame I didn't take better notes as I think it was one of the first papers to discover a link. I can't even recall who the author was and the papers are sadly long gone...

13. mechtec

mechtec Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I would be interested in you growing your own and how you process it. For bee stings of course :3:

14. Aguineapig

Aguineapig Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am just going on what I have access to. National Cancer Institute stated that the 3 most potent carcinogens in chewing tobacco (nitrosamines, polycylic aromatic hydrocarbons, polonium-210) are all contingent upon the curing, processing and fertilizer used. To me, if they have to use examples that dont even apply 100%, its a weak case against it.

15. Bravo Tango

Bravo Tango Scout

Blog Posts:
    It works. Grandparents used it on me and I use it on my kids when they get stung. You can also use heated leaves of Broadleaf Plantain to relieve stings

16. Okbushcraft

Okbushcraft Guide

Blog Posts:
    I was about 7 or so when my uncle spat a large nasty on my arm after a wasp sting while fishing. That would be fighting actions today though!!! But yes I have used tobacco as a poultice a few times since on stings.

Thanks for Corso's thoughts, I have not smoked or dipped since the early 1990s, I would still use a poultice today but wet in water and not my mouth. I'd deal with the hurting verses wondering what was in the spit of someone.

I have over the counter meds in the cabinet that will kill your liver if you misuse them-one must be smart about how they medicate.

17. Mholder

Mholder Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was on the back porch at my grandparents house across the road from where I grew up and I was 8-10 yrs old. Grandpa smoked a pipe from the time he was, I believe, about 28 and he always had it (Dr precribed it for a "nervous stomach. Give you something to do with your hands." I don't recall him ever not doing something with his hands, but thats what the story was). I got stung on the arm, he took the pipe apart at the joint and rubbed the black goo that had accumulated there on my arm. Don't recall whether it helped or not, just that is what happened. And if I had my pipe and I or one of the kids got stung, I'd probably give it a try as well.

mholder
    Saline County MO

18. 2crows

2crows Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was a wasp magnet as a kid. Garret's snuff, slightly 'used' and applied liberally was the go-to treatment.

I'm 63 now and I'm sure it's going to kill me pretty soon.

19. Nomad71

Nomad71 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Growing up we used mud on a bee or wasp sting. If we were home we used something from my mom's spice cabinet, but for the life of me I can't remember what. I'll have to ask her sometime.