Today's junk store find.

Discussion in 'Axe Mob' started by Drop Cord, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Drop Cord

Drop Cord Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Around my neck of the woods you'll find stores that optimistically call themselves "antique stores". Usually these are in old half fallen down buildings along the road in the more rural areas of the county. These "junk stores" are great places for axe head hunting as old tools and farm stuff usually make up a lot of their inventory. Here is today's find. A Michigan pattern in good shape with some nice patina marked B39. I'm guessing it's a Kelly/True Temper made.

Where do you all go to find vintage axes. The online auctions are pretty bad these days price wise as well as our local fleamarkets. The little hole in the wall stores have been where I have had the most luck as of late.

20190302_174026.jpg 20190302_174029.jpg 20190302_174035.jpg

2. Staleym

Staleym Methuselah's Cohort Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Hey there. Good score!

3. BushcrafterAU

BushcrafterAU Master Tracker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’ve gotta say that’s a nice find!
    Today’s find for me is about to appear in a new thread...

carpenter and Drop Cord like this.
  4. Drop Cord

Drop Cord Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Its about 3 and 1/2 pounds and hung on a 20" handle so its basically a house axe. The handle was rough and dry but some sanding and linseed oil will fix it up. I may re-hang it eventually but I'll leave it for the moment.

5. carpenter

carpenter AXE MOB Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My best deal have been found at garage and estate sales. Flee markets sometimes. Nice axe.

SMLE Guy and Drop Cord like this.
  6. Lonewalker

Lonewalker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I also Love scrounging the junk er um antiquities myself, a favorite pastime. The hunt is fun. Nice find enjoy that one.

carpenter likes this.
  7. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    That's a great old workhorse! What a find, especially in such good condition.
    My scores have come from yard/barn sales, but the ratio of crap sales to decent sales has been getting worse in recent years.
    I must be getting old, because I find a lousy yardsale downright irritating. For heaven's sake, people, some stuff is just trash.

Drop Cord likes this.
  8. fishiker

fishiker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice score!
    I get most of mine from flea markets but things are changing with everyone having readily available internet. I can't say how many times I've asked about the price and heard "I saw one online for $$" I enjoy the interaction with people who have good knowledge of older pieces but walk away from the "salesman" types when they start talking about something online at several times the actual value.

Drop Cord likes this.
  9. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice find! I've kinda stopped going to antique stores. Not many bargains in such places. I'll pay for something I think is of value but many items are overpriced or not what they seem. Local store has a nice boy scout marked hatchet. The head is in decent shape has all there correct marking. The handle might also possibly be the correct one. Put it's not the one the head originally came with. More than one kind of red paint to make it seam original. The store wants premium vintage price. Not going happen.

I still look now and then......

SMLE Guy likes this.