Topo Designs Rover Pack review

Discussion in 'Badger Claw Leatherworks' started by badger claw, Sep 28, 2016.

1. badger claw

badger claw Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    You're going to start seeing Topo Design products available from Badger Claw Leatherworks here in the next couple weeks. First a little background on why i chose Topo Designs....

I have ZERO intention of making or offering waxed canvas backpacks. Yes they are stylish and rugged but to me the added weight and lack of support make them uncomfortable.

Im not a tactical guy...the durability of most military and tactical style packs appeals to me but i haven't been on too many 3-day assaults so that look is a turn off for me.

I strive to offer products made in the USA. With some stuff its just not possible..but with packs it is and there are many great US companies out there.

Price...unfortunately most US made packs are ridiculously over priced. I don't mind paying for quality...heck thats what i ask of my customers for my leather and canvas goods. But there is a point where you know you're either just paying for a name or just paying for the Made in the USA tag.

When i worked at REI i had my hands on TONS of packs...in over 26 years of backpacking I've used TONS of packs. So in searching for a line of pack to offer it had to be something that i would use.

My first Topo Designs pack was the Rover which is being reviewed here. As soon as i opened it i knew instantly....SOLD. DONE. SIGN ME UP. After talking with their staff....SOLD. DONE. SIGN ME UP. The company is based out of Colorado which is where the packs are made. They also carry a great looking line of made in the USA clothing and accessories that I'm excited to check out.

The Rover pack retails at $139. THAT IS A STEAL. Once i have my first order in ill be able to run some specials but Topo has pretty strict pricing which is great because it protects the brand integrity.

These are constructed of a combination of 1000D cordura and thick coated pack cloth, heavy duty YKK zippers, come in tons of color combinations and simple well placed pockets.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Front pocket is part for the 1000D cordura bottom section and is also lined with the heavy coated pack cloth.

IMG_0003.jpg

Top flap pocket. Also lined.

IMG_0004.jpg

Nice big grommet with thicker then normal paracord drawstring. Not sure how many strand this cord is but its more then the usual stuff people carry for setting up shelters.

IMG_0005.jpg

-continued-

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  2. badger claw

badger claw Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Inside that pack has a laptop sleeve (fits up to a 15" laptop)

IMG_0006.jpg

Piggy-backed on the laptop sleeve is another zipper pouch.

IMG_0007.jpg

Water bottle pockets on each side along with compression straps. Bottle shows in a 20oz yeti, fits pretty snug. If you go with a more slim bottle like a Kleen Canteen they fit better.

IMG_0008.jpg

One thing i really like is the big wide carry handle at the top. Straps are comfortable and have D-rings and are compatible with their sternum strap kit.

IMG_0009.jpg

For more images and colors here is the link to the Rover Pack on Topo's site:

Rover Pack

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask...or if you'd like additional images i can certainly provide them. If you have any interest in other Topo products let me know...my first order has a several different packs in different colors, some smaller bags and accessories...some clothing....basically its the biggest wholesale order I've ever placed! But with this order done i can order pretty much anything in any quantity after that.

Thanks for checking this out!

Cheers~
    John

3. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice to see all the new product you're carrying. In the future I see....Badgerclaw world;)
    Gonna have to try one of these out but in a coyote color scheme. Will hit you up around Early December for my Birthday or Christmas.
    Joe

badger claw likes this.
  4. Mtnfolk Mike

Mtnfolk Mike Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice write up John. I really like the Topo Design packs that I've seen so far.
    Awesome to hear that you're going to be carrying them.

badger claw likes this.