Tops Tanimboca or Benchmade 200 Puukko?

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by CaliforniaCanuck, Jan 9, 2019.

1. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    For a while now something was drawing me to the Tanimboca. I think its the simplicity, thick handle, and decent looking deep leather sheath. So, I ordered one!

Then as I was closing my browser I remembered the new Benchmade 200 and for a second thought, oh crap I should have compared the two because I do like 3v steel!

Am I going to wish I bought the Benchmade?

What do you guys think?

2. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The Tanimboca Puukko is excellent.

I really love 3V, though. I have yet to handle it, but I would probably be sold on the Benchmade just from the specs.

3. Lars

Lars Angry German Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The Benchmade 200 has become my favorite knife. Still looking into getting a custom sheath for it though as the sheath is not so great. Can’t compare it to the Tops since I never touched that one.

central joe and freebirdfb like this.
  4. twodog

twodog Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I had the Tops, I still have the Benchmade. The Tops was great, had a great feel, size, I felt it was handle heavy so I took the scales off and drilled a few holes in the handle to improve balance the way I liked it. Ended up selling it after I got the benchmade. The benchmade is a really nice knife, nice handle, super comfortable, nice balance, and 3V.

Madwell and central joe like this.
  5. PLackey

PLackey Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Looking at pics, the Benchmade looks like a very different knife. Different blade profile (not really a traditional puukko shape), rubber over mold handle. It's really more of a drop point with no guard.

The tops, which I have, is a really nicely sized and shaped, heavy-duty, through tang puukko. Has a bow drill divot and sharp spine. Wish it had a tube through the butt of the handle. The micarta handles are a better option for long-term durability IMO. The tapioca ;) has a handle heavy balance. Feels nimble in hand, but it lets you know from feel that it's a through tang.

So do you want modern and pointy or more traditionally-puukko-ish?

central joe likes this.
  6. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I would probably have put the Benchmade higher on my mind if it had a handle that was a harder material, and better sheath. I know the rubber will wear with use like some of my CS handles do.

I didn’t think about the Tops handle being heavy but I should have anticipate that. I hope the tang is soft enough that I can drill a lot of it like some of you mentioned.

Oh well, I guess I’ll fjnd out!

central joe likes this.
  7. tobiism

tobiism Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sure you could anneal the tang if necessary

central joe likes this.
  8. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    The photos I’ve seen of the Tanimboca looks like it has a thick handle which I is something I look for, and it’s tectangular which I also like.

The Benchmade looks thinner especially at the hilt area, and I’m a little afraid of ordered without handling it first!

Most knives feel too thin in the handle to me. I also found that round shape generally feel thinner than rectangular.

For example or reference, I like Cold Steels handles on their master hunter, SRK, etc. they are rectangular in section and fill my hand well with very good indexing.

Someday I hope to get to hold the Benchmade, but until then I’ll just admire it from you guys pics!

central joe likes this.
  9. ACinSA

ACinSA Bring it, don't sing it! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I put off the Taninboca for a while because I heard rumor of the 200. I am glad I did. $123 delivered! 3V! I have large hands and the Benchmade feels so good in my hand!

Shoulda waited! Just saying....

Aaron

central joe likes this.
  10. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've been thinking about this a bit. Given the costs of labor and otherwise there is not enough savings in materials to justify carbon steel over 3V. Like carbon steel, 3V is tough plus offers pretty darn good rust resistance.

I still like the way 1095 and like sharpen, but I don't consider 3V to be that far behind in sharpen ability. I'm past the super steel hype, but 3V seems to be a good, solid choice. 1095 and the like have many decades of proven performance so there is that to say for it. Still, I think 3V is a good, perhaps outstanding alternative.

For outdoor knives I place toughness ahead of edge retention and stain resistance. My thoughts, at least for right now.

FWIW, I have a Benchmade puukko on my belt right now. Only improvement I'd make would be to make it, say, 20% thinner. Long term, I'll probably go back to my Kephart that is thinner, but time will tell.

central joe likes this.
  11. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have both. I don't have a preference of one over the other.

Photo for comparison of the two.
    [​IMG]

12. Jaeger

Jaeger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have the Benchmade and I like it quite a bit. I didn't like the secondary bevel so I spent some time on the water stones and turned it into a convex grind. NOW it's awesome! The sheath sucks though. There is absolutely no retention. I used some shock cord for a lanyard and have it locked in by looping the cord around the ferro rod. It will work until I decide to make a new sheath for it.
    The handle is very comfortable and it is now super controllable. I like it a lot.

central joe likes this.
  13. Jaeger

Jaeger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Pictured next to my Falkniven F1.

QUN6oax+Rsi%y6D99+4lvA.jpg IMG_0732.JPG

14. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    How about a side by side of the spines?

I just got the Tanimboca in the mail and I'm pleased with it. I like the handle thickness and it's not awkwardly heavy or unbalanced. The edge is sharp and blade is ground symmetrically.

The sheath was cut from a hairy piece of leather so not the best but I shaved the fuzz and I'm wetforming it. I added some stitching to the belt loop to make it fit my belt properly without riding up when I draw the knife. Minor and easy work to improve what I'm considering an acceptable sheath.

I'm pleased with the purchase.

15. Bdug

Bdug Scout

Blog Posts:
    Glad I found this thread. I am tossing around the idea of getting the Benchmade 200 or a Bark River Gunny in 3V. I have had several Tops and Esees in 1095 and love them. I do not have a 3v knife yet (new to most of this obviously). Has anyone had any issues it the Benchmade handle? Just seems like that would be the weak point of it, if at all. Have they even been out long enough for a good review the handle? Thanks

central joe likes this.
  16. tobiism

Blog Posts:
    @Bdug If you have big hands I think you'll be much more pleased with the gunny than the Benchmade

central joe likes this.
  17. Bdug

Bdug Scout

Blog Posts:
    Okay thank you sir. I wear large Mechanix gloves, but consider my hands average sized. Ideas?

central joe likes this.
  18. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You should probably be fine either way, then. My Gunny fits my hand fine (I wear XL Mechanix due to long fingers). Granted, it's not the most hand-filling handle ever (compared to, say, my LTWK GNS), but it does the job just fine.

central joe likes this.
  19. Bdug

Bdug Scout

Blog Posts:
    Cool thanks for the input guys. Sorry for kind of hijacking the thread.

20. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    The photo with the fallkniven makes me think the handle would be too narrow for my hands.

I wear XL gloves for my long fingers.

I recently got the Tops Tanimboca and it’s handle is nice and thick, feels very good.

I would love to see side x side pick showing showing handle thickness of the Tanimboca beside the Benchmade 200.

21. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:

Here you go...
    [​IMG]

For some reason I am not getting all my email notifications. Not sure if it is my email provider or the forum, but it does make it hard to follow through with a request or continuity of some of the discussions here.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  22. Magua

Magua Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Can anybody comment on the heat treatment for both knifes? I find the Tops Puukko harder then the Benchmade Puukko, and while sharpening the Benchmade yesterday, I noticed a heavier burr forming compared to the Tops 1095 steel. A friend of mine took the Benchmade for an outing and mentioned, that the edge holding was not that great for the 3V ... It lost its razor sharpness pretty quick, but stayed sharp enough for daily tasks...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  23. tobiism

Blog Posts:
    Could be they killed the temper on the very edge of the blade during the grind and you will get to better Steel the next couple times you sharpen

PLackey likes this.
  24. Magua

Magua Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Let's find out: 15 degrees on wicked edge!

Attached Files:

25. tobiism

Blog Posts:
    Holy smokes! LOL

26. Magua

Magua Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Lets see who quits first: the Tops Puukko, the Benchmade Puukko or my fingers! :D...

Just kidding. I just find the Tops Puukko way overpriced, workmanship is not that perfect (scales are protuding beyond the blade and produce hot spots), the Benchmade Puukko fits nicely to the hand, but the material is quite soft and will probably deteriorate on the long run. BUT at least no cold metall to the skin during winter on the handle, just like the Fällkniven F1.

The Sheath of the Benchmade left me speechless, I have no clue who is responsible for that type of repeated stupid designing! The sheath of the Tops Puukko is nice on the other hand, but the Tops Puukko itself needs a lanyard hole to get out, I do not know why they did not include one (instead of the two in the front of the handle).

Ragman likes this.