TOYOTA Only: Let's See Em

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Crazysanman, Jun 16, 2016.

1. POGEYBAIT

POGEYBAIT Scout

Blog Posts:
    Own a 98 4Runner. Best vehicle I have ever had, bar none.

Brew-Jitsu likes this.
  2. riprater

riprater Tracker

Blog Posts:
  3. PolarMonkey

PolarMonkey Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The wife got an '07 4Runner after her Subaru was totaled by a guy running a red light. Here it is set up with our Rooftop tent on Thompson Pass:

[​IMG]

I liked her 4Runner so much that I got an '06 V8 for myself. Here it is set up with the tent last summer:

[​IMG]

4. Donfini

Donfini Some who wander are lost Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm not familiar with Toyota trucks, what does fj stand for? Are the parts to repair expensive compared to others?
    Thanks!

5. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    FJ = Fake Jeep :)

The Toyota identification system:

F is for the fuel type F=Gasoline B=diesel; the J is really for jeep

Because every new vehicle (no matter what brand) is a computerized nightmare there is very little an owner, and even many shade tree mechanics can do anymore, and dealer service can be brutal.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  6. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Not a Toyota truck owner (yet... one more kid through college!) but after 30 years of marriage, I am only on my 3rd Camry (a 2004. Others were 86 and 94. I buy them 1-3 years old and keep til death). Still have my first Corolla too (a 2000).

Toyota parts ARE more expensive... but 0 x $200 is still cheaper than 1 x $50. I've never had to replace anything expensive. It has to do with the manufacturing process. I used to know the guy who ran the Denso plant in East Tennessee c 2001. He told me his allowable "defective parts per million" rate for "big 3" runs was somewhere around 75... for Toyota runs, it had to be 1... that means that a big 3 vehicle consisting of only 100,000 parts would have roughly 7 or 8 defective/weak parts in it, somewhere, but that only one in 10 Toyotas would contain a defect... that explains a few things.

NAPA parts guys will tell you they stock 3 of everything, and will gladly swap you the part you just bought when it turns out to be defective.

I ran a fleet of 6 Corollas in the 7 years I had a business.... I changed oil, brakes, wipers, and tires... never had a major repair. My 20 year old Corolla has never needed anything but oil, brakes, wipers, or tires. My 86 Camry (owned 1990-'99) required a radiator and all the front end suspension parts (rods, arms), mostly due to the severe cold to which is was subjected in Upstate NY from 1986 through 1995. I broke off the metal door handle on one particularly frigid -40*F morning when it accidentally slipped out of my mittened hand and snapped back into position.

The Toyota non-union manufacturing process is also stellar... ANYone (not just an engineer or manager) can shut down the line if there's something wrong. They perfect the process, then make good cars. They don't wait until a certain number show up as defective and then try to figure out what's wrong (a Big 3 tactic.)

So, again, yes, the parts are more expensive... but if you never have to replace anything, it's cheaper in the end.

edit: the export version of the Tacoma is the Hilux... ever wonder why there are so many on the road in 3rd World hells?

7. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    This picture not mine but I used to own one just like it: a custom stretched frame & cab 1984 Toyota 4x4, straight front axle, 5.29 gears, 35" BGF mud terrain tires, 20R motor with twin side draft Weber carbs, 4 on the floor. The truck was painted an obnoxious bright red by previous owner. I wish I could find a picture of my truck but I'm not even sure I ever took a picture of it while I owned it.
    I've owned my 2003 4x4 Nissan Frontier truck for over 12 years and she has served me well but I'm sure you don't want to see a picture of it in this thread.
    [​IMG]

Abnrml1 and Pat1973 like this.
  8. caspice

caspice Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The MIGHTY Tercel

SKM_C284e16061707510_0001.jpg

This mid eighties Tercel 4wd wagon replaced my 1980 Subaru GL. While I did miss having a Hi/Lo transfer case, the additional space of the Tercel was massive and made it easy to sleep in. Bar none - the Tercel had the most comfortable drivers seat of ANY vehicle I have owned, before or since. The little 1.5L was not going to win any races, but it returned good mpg. Got it buried a few times out on Assateague.

The following is from wiki:

Still trying to find some photos of my 1985 runner.

Pat1973 likes this.
  9. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I think of it like this: Jeep has the market share in the US for off road vehicles, Toyota has the rest of the world. You don't see Jeeps on African Safaris or in middle eastern deserts. You won't see Jeeps in Nepal or Tibet or Australias Outback or down in Central America's rain forests. There's good reason for that.

chiefcrunchy, ateamnm and kyhunt like this.
  10. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    I’ve owned one Corolla, two Celica sports cars, two Tacoma pickups and the FJ. My wife has had two Tacoma pickups as well . We are a Toyota family for sure, but if they weren't reliable we'd be in something else really fast.

I’ll tell you what I’d like to see in the States… a diesel FJ.

kyhunt likes this.
  11. R Stowe

R Stowe Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My dream rig is a BJ 74. I think those are the coolest. From what I hear they aren't that hard to snag in Canada or on Craiglist...

12. Jasonacraft

Jasonacraft Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I used to design and build custom manufacturing machines. Never had a plant or customer as stringent as Toyota. After the second line I did from a plant in MI (making the gear shift assembly for Camry) I was completely sold. The manufacturing process is on a different level compared to the other plants I contracted to, and it all starts at the top. Create an atmosphere and expectation of excellence and hold everyone to it, it'll show in the product.

13. Jasonacraft

Jasonacraft Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Based on another post, I think that's called a BJ [emoji23]

Ahhhhhh.....my low brow sense of humor

WILL likes this.
  14. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    Like I said I’d like one :D

WILL likes this.
  15. Donfini

Donfini Some who wander are lost Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Are the under body's built as one solid piece like the jeeps ( or used to be made, not up on the jeeps either)
    I have noticed a lot of older Toyota running around here, must be made to run, there is a Toyota plant in Lexington too I know.

16. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Perpetual Student Supporter

Blog Posts:

I'd love to see that Cummins-powered Jeep! 4BT?

17. Toytech

Toytech Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Not true OBD2 is a gift ,with a 50$ hand held scan tool any one can pull the code , look up the description and change the part it tells you, most problems are simple on Toyotas . OBD1 is a computerized nightmare full of computers that dont comunicate and wont tell you whats wrong and will spit out false codes i dont miss it at all.

18. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    The trucks are on frames, the cars I believe are all unibodies.

19. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    LOL you look under the hood of my truck you don’t even see the engine block, or radiator; it’s there but under 100 pounds of plastic boxes, hoses and wire :D

20. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    I can only speak for the 1999-2001 models (I did a brief stint as a car salesman at this point)... The toyota truck frames were (and likely still are) all one solid piece of metal from front to rear... Toyota plants (here and overseas) were much newer, and the machines that bent the steel could handle larger pieces. I forget exactly who did it how, but the big three US makers were building cars on old plants, and therefore couldn't bend a frame beam that long.

All of them bent three pieces and then either welded, bolted, or used a combination of those methods to make a full-length beam. This resulted in frame weakness and sagging (look at a really old Ford F150 double cab... it sags). You could also look at the gap between the bed and the cab. If the frame sagged, you had to have enough room for the cab and bed to not rub... Toyota's gap was smaller, because it sagged much less. (You'll also see that in the gaps between the fenders and hood... toyota gap might be 3/16", big 3 will be more like 1/4 or 5/16")

The Toyota frame was a C shape all the way back, and was actually two C's fitted inside one another. Can't speak for all the big three, but the 99 Ford had a U shape, and only the cab portion was doubled. When it hit something, it folded in half right at the cab/bed seam... NHTSA did a pretty famous video of all 4 trucks hitting a post at 30mph... we did an endless loop on the showroom TV for the public to see.

The Ford crash resulted in a severely deformed door frame and broken-leg injuries. The driver would not have been able to open his own door.

The Chevy or Dodge was less severely deformed, and could have been kicked open by an uninjured driver... sadly, the crash would have injured that driver as well.

The Dodge or Chevy truck resulted in a bent door frame that could have been forced open by a driver, and in this case, the driver wouldn't have been too injured to help himself, but he was injured.

The Toyota frame was also totaled, but the doorframe did not deform, opened easily, and the uninjured driver could have gotten out very easily.

Ford took immediate steps to correct this, and the 2000 Ford F-150 had a completely redesigned frame... sadly, as with the Pinto, people had to die before the company took action.

Donfini likes this.
  21. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    When you see stuff broken down on the side of the road, what is it? Usually not a Toyota (and this includes taking into account that there were fewer Toyotas around...)

When you look at used vehicles, which ones have the highest resale value? Why is that?

Have you ever tried to find a used Tacoma? scarce as hen's teeth... wonder why?

When you see a poor immigrant or fiscally tight Mennonite family driving something, what is it (hint... rhymes with Toyota Sienna mini-van.)

getcha one.

22. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    What they are not is solid front axle any more.

23. Monkeynono

Monkeynono Guide

Blog Posts:
    1985 was the last year for a solid front axle.

In high school(late 90s) I drove a 1983 yota on 33s with a 22r, I beat it till it died. Sunk it more times then I can count, but man I loved that truck.

24. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    And many would argue the last year Toyota made a real 4X4 off road vehicle.

25. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Perpetual Student Supporter

Blog Posts:
  26. Sunburn

Sunburn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    drobs likes this.
  27. Gruntinhusaybah

Gruntinhusaybah Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    We should have diesel everything like just about every other country in the world, imagine having an SUV that carries 7 people and gear for camping for the weekend AND getting 50+ MPG if only we would ease up on our diesel restrictions.

Trucks, 4runners and Sequoias are frame, I dunno about anything else.

You know, I felt the same way about our 2011 4Runner, but it has really been a dream to work on. Granted the only thing I've had to do is brakes, oil and a tail light replacement in 110,000 miles...
    Speaking of which, we're due for another oil change.

I'm about to sell my formerly beloved Dodge Ram 2500 and get myself a Toyota. I'm torn between an older Sequoia and a Land Cruiser, if the few LC I saw for sale are still around after I sell the truck I'm probably going with those.

Nothing special here but we love it, my wife more so than me. Just needs a roof rack, rear bumper, suspension and better tires. I'm thinking about putting together an "overland" style trailer to tow behind it for camp trips.
    [​IMG]

Pat1973 and Forestree like this.
  28. sweet trav

sweet trav Scout

Blog Posts:
    A few we've built for family expeditions over the years...

96 runner...from trash heap to magazines, websites, etc...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

...then we built a 97 landcruiser locked 3X...ultimate comfort offroad rig...

image.jpg

image.jpg

...then there was a beautiful 08 FJ trail team that we kept stock...it was so capable we never needed anything for it...and now we have a 99 landcruiser 2x locked that is in the process of being built...and a nice stock LX470 for the wife locked and atrac equipped...

image.jpg

...there's also been a couple crewcab chevys built but we'll leave those out of this post. :)

29. sweet trav

sweet trav Scout

Blog Posts:
    Working on the 99 today...

image.jpg

30. Yevoc1

Yevoc1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    This is mine, I call it the Mule!
    [​IMG]
    And this is my sons
    [​IMG]
    Love me some Toyotas

31. B33J

B33J Liberty or Death Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just finished installing Radflo 2.5s all the way around. Now to let it settle and get some tires.

View attachment 298677

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    Pat1973, Forestree and Gsamp like this.
  32. Iron Woodman

Iron Woodman The Iron Woodman

Blog Posts:
    I really want a Tacoma! :(

33. Dadio

Dadio Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm loving the Land Cruiser pics. They are on my "someday" list, for sure.

We always bought used domestic cars (including an Impala that leaked something every single day I owned it, a Dodge with seriously funky electrics, GM cars with peeling paint, and a Silverado that ran like a top but rusted like a Old Hickory in a dishwasher), until we picked up a Corolla for my long commute. After 3 years and 88,000 zero-defect miles I popped over a hill on a two-lane and found some guy driving-while-texting in my lane and heading straight for me. They totalled out the Corrola for 3k less than I paid new (I wasn't scratched). My wife was sold on the brand. We're now on our third and our next one will probably be a 4Runner.

I do miss my sister's, then my 80's era Tercel, believe it or not. Dead simple rear-wheel drive with a 5 speed and no power, but 280,000+ miles before I foolishly traded it off.

Gsamp likes this.
  34. Yevoc1

Yevoc1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I spent almost three weeks in Australia and I never seen one solitary jeep. Mainly Hilux Toyotas and a few Nissan's. The majority of the small Toys and Nissan's were 4 cylinder diesel. You can get every kind of Toyota off-road part imaginable over there. It's awesome!

35. mjh

mjh Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We have one highland and one wrangler....the best of both worlds...:50:

36. Crazysanman

Blog Posts:
    ateamnm and Gsamp like this.
  37. Plank Walker

Plank Walker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have an 09 Rav4. It's gotten me home during some bad winters. Love the cargo capacity it has. These pics are from a camp trip last year. Heavy rains made for some iffy roads. My tent failed to hold up to the rain the first day so I spent 3 days sleeping in the Rav. Quite cozy.

20150518_075401.jpg

20150516_070334.jpg

38. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nobody'd hate you for starting your own thread with built-up crewcabs.

Please? :)

sweet trav likes this.
  39. Crazysanman

Blog Posts:
  40. AZ Wandering Bear

AZ Wandering Bear Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    P1030850.JPG

Picked up a 2016 4Runner Trail recently. Took it out on Schnebly Hill Road near Sedona, AZ. Old Man Emu lift and some BF Goodrich ATs. It won't look like this in a few months with the build out that's in the works.

41. barracuda

barracuda Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    This is my Toyota, it's a 1999 105 series (HZJ105R).... last of the old school toyotas. Solid Axle front and rear, 4.2 litre straight six diesel.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  42. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  43. Line Dawg

Line Dawg Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Crazysanman likes this.
  44. Line Dawg

Line Dawg Tracker

Blog Posts:
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg My daily driver, our 1975 Land Cruiser and our rock crawler.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  45. Forestree

Forestree Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    My last truck was a 2001 tacoma.....loved that truck

SANY0001.JPG

Traded it in for a more "highway friendly" and less offroad modified 2012 tacoma.....love this one as well :D

003.JPG

46. Edgeman

Edgeman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm envious of the countries that have access to diesel powered Toyotas! That would be the only feature that would entice me to trade my Tacoma.

I'm on my second Toyota truck. My 94 (22RE, 5 speed manual) was killed by a semi in 2008, and it wasn't even "broken in" with only 130K miles. It still drove as nice as the day I purchased it. I limped down to my local Toyota dealer and bought a 2008 Tacoma to replace it several days after the accident.

My first truck was a 86 Dodge D100. That was my first new vehicle, and the sole reason I'll never buy another Chrysler product. I think pieces were falling off it as I drove it off the lot. I love the Jeep CJ/Wrangler concept, but since it's build by Chrysler...no freaking way in heck!!!! The only exception would be if I built one from scratch using as few Chrysler parts as possible.

Liked my 94 Yota so much that I vowed to always have a Toyota truck in my driveway, and I haven't changed my mind yet...

Best bumper sticker: "I understand the 'Jeep' thing, that's why I drive a Toyota."

Lichen, Jasonacraft and Crazysanman like this.
  47. Ratdog

Ratdog Scout

Blog Posts:
    2006 Tundra DC SR5 w/ ARE bed cap. Other than the stupid large turning radius and the long wheelbase that comes w/ a Double Cab, pretty dang happy with it. Even if the frame did rust and all they did was brush it and coat it. Love the iForce 4.7l V8 from Lexus, can't complain about the power plant.

Not much of an off road vehicle but it gets me down the fire roads I need to travel.
    [​IMG]

Canoe trip gathering
    [​IMG]

Brew-Jitsu, c99c, Pat1973 and 2 others like this.
  48. Monkeynono

Monkeynono Guide

Blog Posts:
    I see SS!!

Ratdog likes this.
  49. Squirr

Squirr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice rides y'all. Here is mine, her name is Trixie.
    1985 FJ60
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rcwells, MohaveGreen, Yevoc1 and 9 others like this.
  50. Edgeman

Edgeman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Have you noticed that FJ60s/62s have been showing up on television shows? I know Grimm has a 62, and I think the CSI international (whatever they called it) also had a FJ-62. Think I saw at least one more on a different show recently.

Crazysanman likes this.