Traditional Archery

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by BlueDogScout, Aug 4, 2019.

1. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Where is all the shelf stable bacon??? Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So I’m wanting to get back into archery. Found a good deal on eBay on a vintage bear kodiak hunter. It’s used but in good shape.
    I need to get a string, anyone know the length I might need or the best type of string? Thanks

D691EF74-2CEA-40FB-B8B0-B1525E072FB8.jpeg BBF34882-D632-4505-9E6A-A778B5996793.jpeg 031EDC01-DDC8-458E-BF4E-7E9F94EA66FB.jpeg

BradGad, pab1 and never.truly.lost like this.
  2. Robert Highhawk

Robert Highhawk Scout

Blog Posts:
    I believe it should be 4 inches shorter than the bow. Double check by calling an archery shop, a bow maker, or go on the web. Make sure the bow is in good shape. Should not be any cracks into the limitation. Have fun.

pab1, White Falcon and BlueDogScout like this.
  3. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    That’s why I am here to go onto the web and verify. Thank you.

Robert Highhawk and pab1 like this.
  4. Wildcat Creek

Wildcat Creek Tracker

Blog Posts:
    AMO of 60" & they say to subtract 3" from the AMO to get string length to have the bow braced at the proper height.
    I'd get a couple of opinions on that bow before I tied up much in it, just saying.
    I had an old Pearson fiberglass bow break on me a couple of years ago that I had used for years without any problems, and your Bear looks to be in about the same shape mine was in. Fortunately I wasn't hurt but as I'm sure you know sometimes people are maimed and even killed when one of these lets loose.

wingnuts, pab1 and BlueDogScout like this.
  5. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    Other peculiar things;

What is this? The little round metal piece.

D0C83339-D018-429E-B1E6-CEBE0E329FA7.jpeg

On the sight rail I will get new pins since it came with none. Does the rail look bent or does the screw just need tightened?

695FB78D-9F34-408D-A9CD-5D52FD25A0CA.jpeg

D8A7BE9F-F707-46CA-9A21-FFE44E16D405.jpeg

FF61F57C-D7EA-4BDB-834B-AF036B772191.jpeg

I’ll need to get new felt for the arrow rest but do the little cracks mean I shouldn’t use the bow? Or will it be okay?

BB73C6CD-307B-4A89-9EE5-3C7BAD3004E1.jpeg

2443252A-60F7-4DB8-AB75-71B9CC703136.jpeg

5C292C55-1B7A-4E10-99F8-312E3524805E.jpeg

Thanks

JeffG, pab1 and Jonah L. Archer like this.
  6. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you. It seemed to be in good shape but I am no expert. It was a good price but I want something I can use

pab1 and Jonah L. Archer like this.
  7. White Falcon

White Falcon Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think I would strip the finish and check out how bad those vertical cracks are. You don't want it to blow up in your face.

8. bam7765

bam7765 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Are you planning on making the string? If so use Dacron and a Flemish twist with a bowyer's knot. Ultimately it's a tough decision on whether to use or not. If it looks like it has delaminated maybe just refinish and make a wall decoration because that's cool old school bear. Only my opinion just be careful man

9. rbinhood

rbinhood Scout

Blog Posts:
    That bow looks really beat. I sure hope you didn't pay much for it. I would consider it an experiment, but I'd also be very careful. Yes, your sight rail looks bent. You can bend it back so the new pins will slide. Why not call Bear Archery and ask them what string length? Or, you can put a post on a traditional archery website and ask.

10. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    3 RiversArchery will be able to tell you the correct string size. The bow looks pretty beat up. You'll need a new side plate and shelf rug and/or arrow rest.

I hope the bow works out for you when all is said and done.

11. Jonah L. Archer

Jonah L. Archer ~Roughian #21~ ~ MOA #62 ~ Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    The little round metal piece looks to be the insert where a stabilizer screws in. It looks like there is something in the hole... possibly broken off.

I'll be honest with you. That thing would scare me to shoot. The wood looks very checked and possibly delamination. Be very careful when you do shoot it.

Pick up a cheap string of the proper size, and if you don't hear any cracking as you string it, gently pull the string back just a little bit at a time. Just a couple inches to start. If you still haven't heard any cracking, slowly increase the distance you pull until you're at full draw.

If you hear any cracking, stop and make a wall hanger out of it or throw it away.

If you get it to full draw, look into refinishing it and shoot it!

bosque bob, Primordial, jasam and 6 others like this.
  12. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you all. It was $50 to my door. Maybe I should just try to get a different bow

bosque bob, Bush Billy, pab1 and 2 others like this.
  13. pab1

pab1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Like others have said, I would be very cautious with that bow. Its too bad someone treated a good bow so poorly. There are old bows out there that are safe to shoot but you'll usually pay a little more for them. Not terribly old but I picked up a 68# 1969 Bear Kodiak Hunter that's been a great bow.

As for the sights, have you ever tried shooting instinctively?

BlueDogScout and Jonah L. Archer like this.
  14. jcs271

jcs271 Scout

Blog Posts:
    That bow needs a Very Serious examination by an experienced bowyer. It is as rough as I have ever seen in 45yrs of trad archery and 15yrs as a bow Ed. instuctor here in MT. There are so many issues pointed out in the comments above, any of which could cause a catastrophic failure. I hate to say it but I would DEMAND my money back. Start over with something safe! Good luck.

15. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    When I used to shot back in Jr high I did.

I’ll try that, who knows with eBay.

16. rbinhood

rbinhood Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple of bows that were picked out of the trash at the local dump that are in far better condition than yours. I would seriously ask for a refund.

17. NORKALNIMROD

NORKALNIMROD Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Don’t even attempt to string that bow until it has been checked out by an experienced traditionalist! From the pics she looks to be in very poor condition. It appears that the glass is severely checked and has stress lines in it.
    The insert on the lower riser was put there for the old Bear bowfishing spool.
    The rule for a recurve is bow length minus 4”. Minus 3”for a longbow. Old bows such as your Grayling Bear and even some of the new bows made by custom bowers should only be used with Dacron strings. Even bows that are rated as being safe for fast flight or dyneema will have a longer life if you utilize Dacron as it has a bit of give too it. Also always use a stringer as the limbs will get twisted if you don’t.

NORKAL

18. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    I will try. I’m kinda defeated ;(

I have a stringer, I’m guessing the bow is a bust so I’ll try for a refund thanks for the advice. I really want to make a bow but I can’t find anyone even close to learn from.

19. riokid87

riokid87 Scout Banned

Blog Posts:
    Amazon samick sage right hand 30 lb $99.
    I have a 50lb and a 35lb and am very happy with them.
    They are takedown bows. That can be an advantage when traveling. Or if you damage a limb you can just get new limbs but for the samick sage the whole bow isn't much more than a set of limbs hense I have 2.
    The riser aka handle it drilled and has inserts for just about any bolt on gadget you could eventually want from a sight to a fishing reel.
    You need to determine your drawl length. (Web search it).
    Bows are normally rated x lbs at 28 inches. Its about 2 to 3 lbs +/- per inch above or below 28"
    When you select arrows base it on what you pull, not what the bow is at 28" unless your dl is 28"
    If you have a long dl you may be better off with a longer bow.
    Most beginners benefit a lot by starting w a lighter bow to develop consistent form. That is key to accuracy. A lighter bow will also force you to have a better release. In college the archery instructor taught healthy fit young men with a 25 lb bow.
    There is a book called instinctive archery insights by kidwell on Amazon about $10 or get it at library. It's brief but very good info imo. Others here may recommend other resources for using sights.

Another point for bow shopping, it seems to me that several bows are made in the same factory in China then branded differently for different venders and the price difference can be a lot.

20. VtBlackDog

VtBlackDog Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Another vote for retiring it and getting a sammick

jasam, pab1 and Jonah L. Archer like this.
  21. rmorgan736

rmorgan736 Scout

Blog Posts:
    yea i would not shoot that itts an accident waiting to happen...............................if it lets loose at full draw with an arrow in it you will drive that arrow right through you're arm.....

22. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    Well I guess I won’t shoot it. Thank you all

23. cobbsteve14

cobbsteve14 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Manistee River headwaters Northern Michigan
    You can make at least $50 more off that bow if you get rid of the paint on it as people are making lamps key chains etc out of retired bear bows. As for a good entry level bow those black hunter longbows are actually really nice shooting bows and are kind of pretty. Especially for a sub $100 dollar Chinese made bow.

24. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you

Jonah L. Archer and pab1 like this.
  25. pab1

pab1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    If you want to make your own bow, check out The Traditional Bowyers Bible book series. They are packed with information and instructions on bow making. There are also bow making kits available from companies like 3 Rivers Archery that only require minimal work to finish which would be a good place to start.

https://www.3riversarchery.com/buy/bows/bow-building/bow-building-kits

If you're interested in longbows check out Black Rhino. They're best known for making youth bows but they also make adult models. Their M-60A is available up to 55# draw weight. At $273 its costs a bit more than the Samick but you're going to get a nice looking laminated longbow made in the USA. My sons first bow was an M42 followed by an M48 a few years later. He took a lot of grouse with that bow.

http://www.bows.net/blackrhino.htm#m54

Reputable companies like Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear offer used bows in very good shape. I used to shop there often when I lived in Colorado. They are good people to deal with and will answer any questions you have. There are some very good deals on their site. It might not be a screaming ebay deal but you'll know you're getting a bow in good shape. New and used bows are shown together on their site. They are broken down by recurve, longbow, etc. and bow draw weight.

https://rmsgear.com/

happywanderer and BlueDogScout like this.
  26. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:

Thank you!

27. Raymond Eisele

Raymond Eisele Scout

Blog Posts:
    My father had a beautiful wooden long bow. I asked him about it. Told me it was a wedding present when he married mom. How cool is that! Think we should make this a tradition, instead of all the girly stuff.

28. White Falcon

White Falcon Scout

Blog Posts:
    Might try this bow, I have 2, great bows. Amazon, $104.00 ! It also is very easy to pack. 71WqNQiAHUL._SL1280_.jpg

29. longcruise

longcruise Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well, I'm a bowyer and I would not be willing to offer an opinion on the safety of that bow without holding it with all the finish removed.

I wouldn't go after the refund though. It's a very personal viewpoint but I'd strip it and refinish it or have it done. The bow is a bit of archery history and you have an opportunity to at least hang it on the wall. But, that's just my opinion and it's your decision.

The Samick/Galaxy bows and Black Hunters are economical bows and are a very good option to give stick bows a try. I think the best recommendation I can make is to get something in the 30# range to develop form and skills. You can add a pair of heavier limbs later if you like.

30. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Heed the call. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Plus one to the above I started out with a bit too heavy bow (60# lol), not too heavy to shoot but just too heavy to learn correct form on. Ended up moving down to 35 lb and then back up again to my 60 lb bow after some good practice for months. So save yourself some headache and start with a light bow.

31. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you all for the help. I still have the bow above but I’m meeting a guy today off of Facebook and buying 2 bows and 4 arrows for $80 and one is a sammick sage. I am not familiar with the other bow. Is this a good deal?

31BB0CD3-19C7-483E-91D8-A1BC0BDB1276.png 471294A1-43D2-4630-92C9-94CD74414BA1.png

Jonah L. Archer likes this.
  32. Jonah L. Archer

Jonah L. Archer ~Roughian #21~ ~ MOA #62 ~ Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a great deal as long as they are in good shape!

BlueDogScout likes this.
  33. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    I hope they are but we will see

34. wingnuts

wingnuts Hunter/Gatherer Provider/Protector Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I agree that bow looks rough, be careful, really inspect the glass laminations. Good luck

35. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That rednecky area between Baltimore and Philly.
    Call Three Rivers Archery, explain what you have, pay what they ask... I'm guessing it will be called a Flemish String. Get two of them if you're hunting with it... only takes one broadpoint in the wrong spot to cut your string...

You also should get a bow stringer... you can string that bow by using your leg and bending it against your shin, but you'll eventually slip and get it cockeyed... stringer is way easier and better for the bow.

You should also get an armguard... if you shoot perfectly (no one does), you'll never scrape your arm. It also serves to keep parts of the leaf suit out of the way when hunting (the arm). I had to cut some of the "leaves" in the chest portion short so they wouldn't hang on the string.

You should also get both a glove and a tab and see which one you like better. Personally, I like a really thin glove for hunting, thicker for practice, but I have no callouses. My bowyer in LA shot bare fingered because he had a lot of callouses.

Congrats, and good shooting (even if you don't hunt, you're gonna have a blast!)

36. Ascham

Ascham Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I hope you paid thru PayPal and can get a refund. Best of luck but I would not shoot that bow those cracks are in a high stress area.

37. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks I bought the bows they were perfect shape. I have a stringer. I bought a colt firearms recurve a few months back but couldn’t bare to shoot it. I have an arm guard. Have to with how my left forearm is after cutting my hand off. All my previous shooting I had the tabs on the strings so I’ll probably do that. Thank you for the support!

Seeker and Jonah L. Archer like this.
  38. longcruise

longcruise Scout

Blog Posts:
    Think you did good on that deal.

39. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    Me too

40. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I would go to my local pro shop and have them supply the string and safety check the bow.

41. BlueDogScout

Blog Posts:
    I dunno what I’ll do with the bear now but I got some bows yesterday lol