Trail Camera Trouble?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by TNCanoer, Dec 21, 2016.

1. TNCanoer

TNCanoer Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have two Moultrie M880 trail cameras I purchased in October and set them up, one at each farm where I hunt. After getting out of my stand this morning I swapped cards in the camera I have set up on the farm I hunted this morning. When I put the card in my computer at home to my surprise there were over 3,000 pictures of just the woods, all on the same day. I do know we had a very bad wind storm and windy for several days so could this be why it took so many pictures or has one of my cameras gone haywire? Both cameras have performed great I have just never had this happen before. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Red Wing

Red Wing Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sasquatch

3. TNCanoer

TNCanoer Scout

Blog Posts:
    No Sasquatch on the camera (;

Red Wing likes this.
  4. WRHC TopGun

WRHC TopGun Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Don't know the reason but I'd suggest giving Moultrie a call. I've called a few times about one of my old cameras and their customer service was fantastic. That's been a few years ago but hopefully they have maintained that same level of service.

5. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My cameras it's usually a branch waving in front somewhere. The front area has to cleared.

NWPrimate likes this.
  6. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Probably the wind. Even a single blade of grass in the right spot will trigger mine. I also get a lot of moths that set it off at night. Sometimes you catch one on camera.

My camera is a Primos. Only complaint I have is that the memory is powered by a capacitor, not a replaceable battery, and required "surgery" to replace (about half the cost of a new camera!) Probably not an issue for you in TN, but my camera also gets overheated here in LA in the summer... even pointed north (to avoid sun glare in the pics), the sides get so hot that it malfunctions most of the summer. I only get good pics at night then. By October (too late to do much good!) it's cool enough to run fine 24/7 again... (maybe I should build a sun shade for it!)

TNCanoer likes this.
  7. hunterjrg

hunterjrg Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Every Moultrie I've had has been junk. I returned 5 999i cams this year. Replaced them with more Browning Dark Ops.

8. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    In my area it's little birds in the spring, and leaves blowing in the autumn that fill my cards with pictures of nothing. If nothing else, it's a good reason to make sure you have an SD card with enough capacity to handle that and still have room for pictures of game when it shows up.

9. Nonc-Tobe

Nonc-Tobe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I had a buddy that the same thing happened to,got to camp,put card in computer and like 2700 pics.He was all excited until his "deer"pics was actually a long blade of grass that would move in front of it with the wind

TNCanoer and Seeker like this.
  10. LongAgoLEO

LongAgoLEO Scout

Blog Posts:
    Was it on a flex-time setting where it takes a picture at a predetermined interval continuously, irrespective of activity? These can be set at pretty short intervals.

NWPrimate likes this.
  11. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    As has been said, wind moving grass, twigs or leaves will trigger a camera. I have also seen changes in shadows trigger when no vegetation is visible. OR, it could be Bambi behind the camera telling all of the animals "hey, watch this" as he does his best John Cena impression...

Some will get the reference...

12. Florida Bullfrog

Florida Bullfrog Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Trail cameras used to be my primary hobby.

The problem with them is that nearly all of the cheaper ones are made in China and the quality control on almost all of them is terrible. Its pretty normal for any given trail camera to do weird things. Usually one in every 4 or 5 trail cameras will be glitchy and need a replacement from the factory.

Some of the high-end American made trail cameras like Buckeye and Reconyx don't have those problems, but you pay thru the nose for the quality. I bought one Buckeye for $550 right before I got married and it is still a quality camera nearly a decade later. It hardly ever takes false pictures because of the quality of the sensor.

Back when digital cameras first became affordable it was pretty common for people to build their own trail cameras by matching cameras with Radioshack motion sensors and Pelican cases. Those homemade units can be very reliable. However, advances in battery technology have made it so that those homebrew units with 2-4 week battery lives can no longer compete with the 6 month+ battery lives or small size of Chinese cameras, thus the homebrew trail camera community on the internet died.

As it relates to your specific camera, it could be a glitch, it could be vegetation blowing in the breeze, or it could be little birds or squirrels setting it off. The context of your setup might reveal which.

Got it on a bait pile? Something that might attract little animals?