1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Train trip

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by RIVERGUN, Dec 18, 2016.

1. RIVERGUN

RIVERGUN Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Taking the City of New Orleans from Memphis to Chicago in mid January for birth of first grandchild. I can carry on two bags plus small brief case size bag .I normally drive but because of weather and wife flying up a week before am taking the train and using public transportation in town. I hate the feeling of not having my "stuff" as my wife calls it with me. Can not have fixed blade knife ,folder over 3 inches ,firearms or any flammable liquids or matches on board. I am taking my rat 2 folder and a leatherman tool for blades. A small fire steel and butane lighter with p.j ,cotton sealed in plastic straws for fire. Stainless water bottle and cup with aqua tabs and an Esbit stove and fuel along with tea bags, instant soup, cliff bars, and snacks cover food. In addition to winter clothes am taking a snugpak poncho and liner with an inflatable pillow .A cheap headlamp and my edc flashlight complete my kit for this trip. Anyone have any suggestions for gear ect. for this trip?

2. Capin JRo

Capin JRo Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would add a length of bank line myself I normally carry some rolled up in a bundle, if you prefer para-cord then make it para chord. Also a pt of bourbon will serve you well on a trip like that.

gwynn1975 likes this.
  3. Gii shi kan dug

Gii shi kan dug Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Reading material and DVDs. Also small cooler for drinks and snacks. Also cards cribbage board

gwynn1975 likes this.
  4. NattyBo

NattyBo Bon Vivant Supporter

Blog Posts:
    FAK and a couple airline bottles.

5. gwynn1975

gwynn1975 Misguided Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I ride the Amtrak from WA to ND quite often. The security measures in the train are nothing like an airport.
    I'm not saying you can carry any of the prohibited items, but in the last 5 years I've been riding the rails, my bags have never been checked, x-rayed or sniffed by dogs.
    I never check my bags into the luggage carrier either. Just carry them all on with you.
    I've carried huge military rucks, duffel bags, and a small cooler. As long as you get a seat to yourself, you have plenty of room for all your stuff.
    Maybe minus the firearm, I say take what you want. (But I'm not saying do anything illegal either).

Aurelius likes this.
  6. sdjsdj

sdjsdj Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    In addition to inflatable pillow ,consider one of those memory foam neck pillows from Wal-Mart for $10. They can be crushed pretty small into a stuff sack.
    Also on long trips, I like to take a pair of slippers or sandals. Relaxing in shoes that are looser than your normal shoes allows your feet to air out a bit and is very rewarding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017