Traingular Awl and Braided Leather and Rawhide Sheath WIP

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Carabnr, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Carabnr

Carabnr Guide

Blog Posts:
    I saw a lovely image of an awl and sheath on this site while researching awls. Found something I really liked on this thread. https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/bark-canoe-awl.15643/

. BCUSA Awl and sheath PM.png

I decided to make my triangular awls a bit longer for boring holes in two layers of Poplar (Liriodendron Tulipifera) bark, for making Appalachain bark baskets. I picked up more than enough old saw files from Ed's Vintage Tool Shop, so if anyone want's to try it out PM me and I'll send you one annealed if you want.

Step 1 annealing Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 6.15.34 AM.png
    Heating them up not too hot and allowing them to cool slowly.

Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 6.14.19 AM.png

Then we made a drift by bashing a larger triangular file into the molten block of steel.

Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 6.16.41 AM.png

Then we bashed the hot files into the drift with a 2 person hammering technique. Flattening the ridges out a bit only for the first few inches. Larry held the hot file in the V groove with a flat hammer laid on top and I bashed the hammer he was holding. Couldn't shoot that cause my hands were busy and I forgot my tripod. A fun process the technique requires accurate sledge hammering in a motion that falls vertically rather than in an arc.

My friend Larry made the first awl using a power hammer and then bending around 2 rods in a jig on his big anvil. Even though we annealed the steel there is a lot of carbon in file steel so it remains quite hard. Larry thought I wouldn't need to temper them for the work I would be using them for.

Awl  2018-12-09 at 2.41.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 6.17.29 AM.png

The scale is actually the carbon coming out of the steal so it's super hard, so then we cleaned off the scale and tried to sharpen it on his awesome belt sander, but the handle got in the way a bit. So we decided to anneal and bash the 7 more that I could finish and sharpen at home.

My Awl 18-12-09 at 2.53.44 PM.png

Once home I carved out a wooden jig to hold the file level so I could file it. Dang those files were still really hard. I worked on my file technique till all my files were dull. Peter Ross a local black smith friend of Roy's told me that it's very important to practice filing level and get really good at it. I've tried to do this ever since. I have wooden jigs for my axe and hatchet heads that gets the bevel I want close to level.

Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 6.32.26 AM.png

So then I put my ear muffs back on and went to my old wood belt sander upside down grind method, then to the Worksharp 3000 with 150 grit, then a washita (400), and knock the burr off with a surgical black, then polish on the worksharp with 1500. decided not to strop cause you cant really strop something with 2 edges. Right?

Attached Files:

2. Oakenhart

Oakenhart Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like the bent handle on those,due to a lack of forge mine usually end up with antler handles.

3. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Fine piece of work young fellar. joe

4. Carabnr

Carabnr Guide

Blog Posts:
    @Oakenhart the bent handle is more like a gimlet which is a drill bit type tool. I found that ergonomics are better if the wrist is straight. It’s easier to rotate your arm in a straight line.

Supination and pronation occur I’m the forearm from the radial head rotating around the ulna near the elbow. If the wrist is cocked back for the T handle the center of rotation isn’t in the same line as your forearm. I can see why they did that for gimlets cause you needed more tork, but no one uses gimlets any more.

I made my handles straight carved from greenwood, drilled a round hole a little bigger than the shaft I ground down with a grinder after I cut the tang off.

I’ll post more pics later on the specifics later.

Also this is my first forging project so if anyone has more experience and can offer reasons we did it the way we did, have at it. I have several more to make up.

5. Carabnr

Carabnr Guide

Blog Posts:
    Central Joe you crack me up,

6. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Nicely done!

JohnP

7. Carabnr

Carabnr Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks @JohnP I couldn't have done it with out the guidance I got here and with the support of my friends. Just a quick post on the awl handling process. So far I've only handled one using some fresh plum. Yum! I have prepped several others from plum and Persimmon and put them in the freezer till I get all the tangs off and grind the back edge squareish.

Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 6.50.25 AM.png

You can see the curve of the grain in this piece. I tried to orient the narrow side of the haft perpendicular to the grain because as wood shrinks it shrinks more in that direction. Things tighten up pretty fast as the greenwood dries. I didn't use glue, or pin it or anything. We'll see how it goes.

Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 6.34.55 AM.png

I went to an old friends to pick up the fresh plum and thought you all would appreciate his set up. Had to take a pic of the entrance and the Ram he was stuffing for someone.

Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 6.34.29 AM.png

Needless to say encouraged me to quit my job and do what I love, like he did 20 years ago.

8. Carabnr

Carabnr Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have to tell you I’m really in love with this little sheath I made. It took way longer to make cause I’m a rookie and I was just winging it in the beginning, then I had to figure out how to change directions with online resources. @Oakenhart was the resource hero and posted the sheath WIPs by Schwert in the downloads section of BCUSA.

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/resources/dog-bone-awl-sheath.252/

There were a few more from him of similar bent.

4EEF2E4B-B769-4534-9AEE-E1576085B499.png

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Oakenhart and Jonah L. Archer like this.
  9. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    Very cool post! The awls look very nice, and I bet they'll work great, too.

Winterhorse, Carabnr and Oakenhart like this.
  10. Oakenhart

Oakenhart Scout

Blog Posts:
    Really glad it was a success and you're so happy with the outcome.

Carabnr likes this.
  11. Carabnr

Carabnr Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks @OrienM it was a fun project. I don’t claim to be an expert fist figured out what I wanted and looked to friends and on line resources to pull it together.

@Oakenhart The sheath is amazing I’m keeping it with me most days to wear it in a bit.

Some of this is a bit of a repost from my zombie apocalypse thread but I felt like the piece should have its own WIP.

So I had purchased some leather thong a while back cause I thought I’d like to give braiding a try sometime. I think the roll was $25.

I also had some left over raw hide that was just about the right size, about 3/4” by 6 so I covered a smaller awl with painters tape and molded and cut the moist raw hide so it folded up at the tip as made one side near one point of the triangle smaller. Then I folded the larger side around 2 angles of the triangle. The I wrapped it with synthetic sinew and hammered it with a leather hammer to flatten it a bit all around. Let it dry a few days.

I’ll add a pic from my computer later expect some edits.

OrienM and Oakenhart like this.
  12. Carabnr

Carabnr Guide

Blog Posts:
    Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 6.22.04 AM.png

Mashed it smooth and waited till dry to continue.

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 2.03.41 PM.png

Fit tested it and tried using three thongs on each side

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 2.12.02 PM.png

Started the braid over one under one.....

Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 7.34.57 PM.png

But it wasn't snug enough

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 2.11.25 PM.png

So I took off the layer of cordage and tightened it back up using an old awl that wasn't too sharp and kept going. When I got to the top, I got stuck, I didn't know how to end it and I searched high and low on line, all the whip making videos didn't show what I needed. This is where all @Oakenheart s efforts really helped me turn the corner.

It helped to stick the piece in an old bamboo flute and stained the rawhide. Then I tied a crown knot with six strands that all went the same way.

Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 6.38.21 AM.png

That changed the direction for half of them (the shiny ones with the fur side out), then I did another crown over that the other way...

Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 6.42.19 AM.png

Somehow it worked out...and I kept going after cinching the top knot down.

Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 6.44.53 AM.png

Attached Files:

13. Carabnr

Carabnr Guide

Blog Posts:
    Its really hard to remember what I did with the braiding, like I said before I used the on line version of the Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding by Bruce Grant. The main body of the sheath is a round braid with 12 thongs, simple over under pattern. I painted 1/2 the ends with orange leather paint to help me stay organized, these all went the same direction. I was thinking I would cover the end of the raw hide with leather so I tried the lone star braid, but I decided the thongs would be too vulnerable to sharps there, so I modified the braid to suit the situation.

Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 6.53.51 AM.png

I think I reversed direction the first time with a crown knot but it was more like a clockwise lonestar braid over another counterclockwise lonestar, I think. I was going for a herringbone braid of 12 thongs, (plate 40 shows this pattern with 8 thongs). The V's are vertical with the herringbone braid, but it ended up more like a goucho braid with the V's going around the braid.

Lonestar Braid 2.png

Then I turned back again and I was looking at the back braid of 6 thongs, but I was working with 12. Then I wove 4 strands in and buried them in the handle and cut them off. With the remaining 8 I did two round braids of 4 thongs, one ended in a a goucho button and the other looped back over itself and got woven back in.

Sadle-Horn tie knot.png

I really like this slip knot! The knot that ties the lanyard together is a saddle horn tie knot. This knot was used for cattle roping and slows the impact of the rope by slipping a bit, but it still holds.

Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 6.47.47 AM.png

In this case it slides easily to loosen the knot around the button on the end of the lanyard. I'm sure mine isn't done totally right, but it's working OK so far.

Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 7.01.51 AM.png

Not sure How I finished the loop end, but I think it's basically woven in and then a series of half hitches...

The piece is off balance if you dangle it, I figured out a way to loop it twice around my belt, and then around the lower handle that helps. The raw hide really hugs the blade very snugly, so if it flips it's not too dangerous.

Bax 40, OrienM, JohnP and 1 other person like this.
  14. Oakenhart

Oakenhart Scout

Blog Posts:
    That came out nicely, my fingers hurt just thinking about all that braiding and knotting.

Carabnr likes this.
  15. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Very nice work for sure!

Somebody talk to Joe. :p

Carabnr and Oakenhart like this.
  16. Carabnr

Carabnr Guide

Blog Posts:
    @Oakenhart my brain hurt more than my fingers. I really like it. I handled another awl today. I like the way this one fits the sheath better.

@NevadaBlue Thanks, I could have only done it with the guidance of the Oracle.

Talk to Joe?

Oakenhart and NevadaBlue like this.
  17. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Carabnr likes this.
  18. Carabnr

Carabnr Guide

Blog Posts:
    @NevadaBlue I think it’s awesome what he does. i was wondering if The original poster with the birch bark awl post was Joe.
    I believe it was @JohnP

Anyway John if you read this. Thanks for your inspiring post. Lovely project very challenging, but not as challenging as making a birch bark canoe.

Oakenhart and NevadaBlue like this.
  19. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    No, I don’t believe it was me.

That is some truly outstanding work there, @Carabnr.

JohnP

20. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    Wow, great job! :dblthumb: Nice complete set of photos too...

21. Carabnr

Carabnr Guide

Blog Posts:
    Oakenhart likes this.