Training for the A.T .

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by CJB, Mar 27, 2018.

1. CJB

CJB Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hi Guys,

I plan to hike the A.T. a year from now, I was wondering if you guys knew any trails in New York that offer good training and nice views besides the actual A.T of course.

Thanks!

CJB

rsnurkle and Bobsdock like this.
  2. martin9700

martin9700 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Good luck! It's a big under taking! Do you plan to vlog at all?

Bobsdock likes this.
  3. CJB

CJB Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I might, I want to on my next training trip (which starts tomorrow on the A.T via the LP in NY) I will post the link to the footage when after i edit it.

martin9700 likes this.
  4. Paul Ashton

Paul Ashton Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    There are many hiking guides for NY, many free in Kindle form, icluding all of the AT. Obviously a great resource. Genderal training. WAlk everty day, even if only a couple of miles. 4 brisk miles on flat will, only take an hoour.I'm lucky to have a local park with a 300 ft elevation change hill on the way home from work. Do as many weekend overnighters so you can test your kit as well as yourself. That includes going when the weather is foul. A really good summer hike would be a section hike of the AT white Mountain section in NH. A hell of a work out, and you (late summer) be walking with many NOBOs so can learn about the community. Plus its one of the few hikes in the eastern states with a fair amount of above tree line hiking. .

rsnurkle likes this.
  5. snapper

snapper Guide

Blog Posts:
    Depending on your available time, you could probably find a variety of hikes in the Adirondacks that would get you in decent shape for an AT hike. The elevation gains on the AT will be something to deal with so getting used to it while hiking mountains like Cascade, Marcy, etc. might be worth your while. You can adjust your training and carry the weight you want regardless if you're going to camp in the area you're hiking in. It's all up to you as to how you want to proceed but my guess is the more you hike, the easier it will be when you finally get to take off on the big adventure.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

6. City Bushcrafter

City Bushcrafter Hooah! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Anything that has up and down will do. If you are used to 8 -12 miles a day to start going up and down you won't suffer as much in the beginning. You'll get in shape on the trail as you hike. The key is to hike at a comfortable speed for you, and increase mileage slowly so you don't get hurt. A lot of folks get bent on doing big mile days too soon or trying to keep up with other hikers and get sent home early due to injury or getting burned out.

Good luck with your hike!

GA>ME 2009

theNATIVEONE8 likes this.
  7. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    Paul Ashton likes this.