TRANGIA BURNER PROBLEMS???

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by zelph, Sep 13, 2018.

1. zelph

zelph Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    This morning I was watching some dry baking videos and saw the Trangia burner was difficult to snuff out when using the simmer ring. After the simmer ring was used to snuff out the stove, the flames continued and the user had to blow out the flames/stove.

Have you experienced the same problem of flame not being extinguished?

Another thing, why does the simmer ring need to be removed, adjusted to close position and then returned to stove top to snuff it out?

Watch the videos, fast forward to the times marked to see what I'm talking about.
    Fast forward to min. 3:14

Fast forward to min. 6:25

Fast forward min. 5:18

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Bobsdock, Winterhorse, pab1 and 7 others like this.
  2. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I had one and gave it away.
    I have a Mega StarLyte :4: and simply raise the pot for slower cooking times.

Bobsdock, Winterhorse, pab1 and 4 others like this.
  3. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    The simmer ring will snuff out the flame,,, maybe instantly, or after a few seconds. I’ve been anxious and blown mine out, and I’ve just let it go,,, it’ll go out on it’s own with the simmer ring on and closed. If it can’t breath, it can’t burn I reckon.

Bobsdock, Winterhorse, pab1 and 6 others like this.
  4. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'd suspect it has to do with the temperature of the mass of the Trangia stove still being hot. At the first video the Trangia had been burning 45 minutes that's a long time. The mass of a Trangia is more than other comparative stoves. Maybe using a laser thermometer would help figuring this out.
    My guess, is the heat retained in the Trangia allows the fuel to form a gasious state once extinguished and that retained heat still allows gasious fuel self ignition. Gasious fuel and liquid fuel will have different flash points. Open flame is around 900F using my laser thermometer. Look at the safety data sheets for the fuel being used.

An extra thought, he is doing these indoors inside that mojo stand slightly trapping the atmosphere conditions at the stove. Try outdoors and you have suttle crosswinds that can change conditions rapidly for that localized atmosphere with alcohol stoves.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    Bobsdock, pab1, silent chad and 5 others like this.
  5. Eric Westbrook

Eric Westbrook Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Never had any issues with mine, work just like they're supposed to.

Bobsdock, pab1, NevadaBlue and 3 others like this.
  6. Spork

Spork Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yes, usually after the burner has been running for a long time. I don’t see it as a problem.

Bobsdock, pab1, NevadaBlue and 3 others like this.
  7. gdwigg

gdwigg Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't have a Trangia, but I have few other branded spirit burners. I've never had a problem lighting, burning, or extinguishing any of them. The burners you sell look pretty cool, and have great reviews, but I have no complaints with what I already have.

Bobsdock, pab1, NevadaBlue and 2 others like this.
  8. Timex

Timex Guide

Blog Posts:
    Food for thought. I am very careful with my Trangea stove. Fire danger in my area can be very high.

NevadaBlue, MrFixIt and Haggis like this.
  9. zelph

zelph Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    About a month ago I ordered a simmer lid for use with another stove. I could not snuff it out by sliding the cover over the opening. The simmer ring has been really hot when trying to use it. Seems like there is so much vaporization going on that the flames are slightly visible at the edges of the sliding hole cover. After observing it many times I was able to see the tiniest of flame coming out the hole where the cover plate pivots. So when I opened the cover plate the little flame reignited the burner vapors.

The little hole is where the flame was still burning. Be safe, blow at the burner when finished using it to snuff the tiny flame. It's very difficult to see the flame during daylight hours.
    [​IMG]

The Trangia is a burner that we need to be careful with because there is a lot of fuel in it when in use. Knock your pot off the burner and it's likely to make the burner tip over causing some interesting flames that might shorten your eyebrows :eek:

I agree with this quote:

""I'd suspect it has to do with the temperature of the mass of the Trangia stove still being hot. At the first video the Trangia had been burning 45 minutes that's a long time. The mass of a Trangia is more than other comparative stoves. Maybe using a laser thermometer would help figuring this out.
    My guess, is the heat retained in the Trangia allows the fuel to form a gasious state once extinguished and that retained heat still allows gasious fuel self ignition. Gasious fuel and liquid fuel will have different flash points. Open flame is around 900F using my laser thermometer. Look at the safety data sheets for the fuel being used.""

10. MiteyF

MiteyF Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've never had a problem putting out my Trangia with the simmer ring, even after long, hot cooks.

NevadaBlue, MrFixIt and Haggis like this.
  11. bigfoots

bigfoots Scout

Blog Posts:
    Anybody have the newer factory made spirit burners? I've been reading a lot online about these leaking and trangia is telling people that they aren't meant for carrying fuel in which pretty much defeats the purpose of the gasket in the lid. I was just about to order one but I'm having second thoughts.

MrFixIt and NevadaBlue like this.
  12. MiteyF

MiteyF Tracker

Blog Posts:
    For what it's worth mine's never leaked in the 3-ish years I've had it, and I always fill it before I put it away for quick deployment. A bit heavy perhaps, may e not the most efficient, but always does what I need it to, simply and cheaply.

bigfoots, MrFixIt and NevadaBlue like this.
  13. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have used Trangia burners for years and have yet to have an issue with one. I use mine on average probably twice a week heating lunch. I have heard that the Esbit burners have had leakage issues. When I am done with the Trangia, I just toss the simmer cap on the stove and it goes right out. When it cools off, I fill it back up so when I need it again it is ready to rock and roll. It's probably my favorite no nonsense cooking tool. I have at least a dozen different cooking stoves, but the Trangia is always the first one I grab.

Bobsdock, Seacapt., bigfoots and 3 others like this.
  14. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue - Roughian #7 - Skinny Fedwell Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I put my Trangia away with fuel in it a couple of months ago. I got it out a few days ago and it was fine, no leak. It was upside down in a pack when I found it.

Bobsdock, bigfoots, MrFixIt and 2 others like this.
  15. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Guide

Blog Posts:
    I agree with your hypothesis. I haven’t kept exact track of when I have to blow out my stove, but in minds eye it seems like it was after some “full burn” uses. Not really a big deal either way. I DO try to snuff the stove before it’s totally out of fuel though to keep it cooler.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  16. Herman30

Herman30 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    As I see it; even when you empty the stove of fuel there will be a drop or two left that will spoil (tastewise) whatever it comes in contact with. Therefore there is a gasket to keep those couple of drops inside.

NevadaBlue and MrFixIt like this.
  17. bigfoots

bigfoots Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well most of the leakage is not from the gasket it's from the seam where the two halves of the stove are crimped together. Some people are using solder to seal that seam and some websites are selling the soldered version for about 5 or so bucks more. I've decided to go ahead and order one and if it leaks I'll solder it myself or just run a bead of JB weld around it or maybe even metal tape. It don't have to look pretty anyway.

18. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I wonder if liquid solder would work there. My esbit burner sprung a leak. When I attempted to solder it, the thin brass just melted. That's when i bought my trangia burners.

19. bigfoots

bigfoots Scout

Blog Posts:
    Seams (pun intended) like it would work. Yea you got to be careful not to over heat brass. I have a torch kit but if liquid solder or jb weld will work id just as soon use that. I've used jb weld for years to seal my DIY soda/beer can stoves.

20. zelph

zelph Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I liked how the simmer ring is constructed so the one ring I purchased led me to play around with a few more and I wound up with a burner filled with absorbing material for a No-Spill, no leak feature. I plugged the little hole in the swivel part of the simmer rings and now the burner shuts off no problem, no more having to blow it out to make sure it's out completely. I put a little dimple into the brass on the left hand side to prevent the lid from over shooting the opening to help make sure the burner goes out when it's suppose to. I'll do some testing this coming week with my Toaks 1300ml pot. The burner holds 2.7 ounces of fuel, same as the Trangia. I'll let the burner stay lit for the full length of time to use all the fuel to see how it acts when the body of the burner is at it's hottest. the simmer ring is permanently attached to the body of the burner. I have
    silicone lids for them also to prevent fuel vaporization while in storage.

DSCF3785 (1).JPG

21. bigfoots

bigfoots Scout

Blog Posts:
    My new trangia spirit burner came in the mail about an hour ago. I took it outside and filled it with denatured alch and lit it. It works fine the simmer capped snuffed it out immediately so I let it cool and capped it then wrapped it in a paper towel and checked for leaks. I've got it sitting upside down in the paper towel and it hasn't leaked!

NevadaBlue, MrFixIt and gohammergo like this.
  22. zelph

zelph Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Did you have the simmer cap on it for a good length of time while burning and then swivel the simmer plate to the off position to snuff it out?

NevadaBlue, MrFixIt and gohammergo like this.
  23. bigfoots

bigfoots Scout

Blog Posts:
    No I lit the stove and let it burn for a a while without the simmer cap to check it out then I just put the cap on and it went out. On the video it looked like the simmer plate was loose so maybe it allowed air to enter the burner and that's why it wouldn't go out.

24. MiteyF

MiteyF Tracker

Blog Posts:
    On my Trangia, the flat "lid" bit on the simmer ring requires 2 hands to move, so if I want to adjust it, I have to take the ring off, adjust, and reinstall. There's definitely no adjusting happening while it's on the stove.

NevadaBlue, MrFixIt and bigfoots like this.
  25. Silvuhboolit

Silvuhboolit Florida Feller Supporter

Blog Posts:
    On a dark desert highway, cool whip in my hair...
    Kind of the nature of the beast...
    I just use a pair of tongs to reach in and grab it, put it in a rag or something and adjust it where I want it... return it to the burner. It's a very simple made stove that has its own unique properties. However, most of the people in Europe swear by it and I understand why, I love the thing. The Trangia stove rules over there. They call denatured alcohol, Meths. So, it's a meths stove.

If it's that important to free up the adjustment, just put some kind of compound where it's riveted in and work it until it frees up to your liking. You could do this with a simple cleanser like comet or something.

26. MiteyF

MiteyF Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It's also my go-to stove, I hardly use anything else. Beautifully simple, built to last forever. I've tried pop can stoves, canister stoves etc etc... always come back to the Trangia.

LogCabin, NevadaBlue, MrFixIt and 3 others like this.
  27. Eric Westbrook

Eric Westbrook Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Zelph, you gonna be selling these?

NevadaBlue, ra2bach and MrFixIt like this.
  28. zelph

zelph Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I had the thought to make some available after doing a lot more testing. I need to make some sort of wire doohickey to aide in closing the simmer slide while under the pot. I do have a raised dimple on the left side of the opening to prevent the slide from going to far off the opening to make sure it snuffs the flame. Adimple.JPG

I have a new orange, double burner Sterno stove that I'm working on so I can use the new burner design with. I have to add a couple of stainless steel brackets to hold the burners firmly so they don't move when the simmer slide is adjusted.
    upload_2018-10-7_9-18-24.jpeg

I'll be gone for a week of car camping. When I return I'll get back to this project ....I like stove stuff!

29. zelph

zelph Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I whipped one up out of 3/4 wide stainless steel.

Attached Files:

30. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    My new Trangia 25-21 Duossal 2.0 set is in the mail as I write this. Once it gets here (scheduled for the 17th) I'll test out the burner. My wilderness trip is on the 19th-21'st of this month with some long cook times expected. I'll report back if I have any issues with any of it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    LogCabin, NevadaBlue and MrFixIt like this.
  31. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    The trangia arrived this evening and I will start testing the burner very soon to see if I need to solder it before my trip.

MrFixIt, LogCabin and NevadaBlue like this.
  32. zelph

zelph Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Let us know how well the 2, pans transfer heat. Look to see if there is hot spot in center after a few uses. Hope you enjoy your adventure and the weather is nice.

I'm down in a Mississippi campground and the weather is nice, back home in Northern Illinois it suppose to be snowing. I'll take my time and head back north next week so it can warm up by the time I get there ;-)

33. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the idea Zelph. I think that I'll make a separate post using my FLIR T440 camera to show the potential hot spots along with taking measurements of the spirit burner and flames for temperatures at different setting of the simmer ring. I'll just have to figure out how to heat something in it that allows for 100% coverage of the bottom of the frying pan that won't evaporate quickly as I don't want to heat it up for long periods of time while empty. Perhaps some oil with a high flash point if it's emissivity can be determined easily.

34. LogCabin

LogCabin Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have not had this problem with the Trangia.
    I have been able to blow out any simmering flame.
    Adjustment does require remove/replace of the ring. A stick, or a pot holder, anything to grab it.
    I recently found an old style Duossal 25 for $35.00. Love it.

Store the burner in a bag to prevent bimetal corrosion with the pots. Trangia (used to/still does???) provide a bag for that. And instructions note that somewhere. I also add a paper towel between the pots, and inside the small pot. I put another paper towel inside the kettle. Having paper can help start the Trangia, as a wick, in cold weather.

Trangia also makes an "Pan Stand"to use small pots in the windscreen. It fits the 27 & 25 kits.
    I can then use my stove top espresso maker. Yahoo!!
    [​IMG]
    See it here ... https://trangia.se/en/other-accessories/
    Of my hundreds of stoves (seriously) the Trangia is my favorite user.
    (Or maybe my 1st version Svea 123, or the NATO Dieselkocher, or the Optimus 8, or the Radius 46, or .....)

NevadaBlue likes this.
  35. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    They do still provide the yellow plastic bags for the burner

NevadaBlue and LogCabin like this.
  36. LogCabin

LogCabin Scout

Blog Posts:
  37. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue - Roughian #7 - Skinny Fedwell Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I can’t figure out what that thing does. Could you post a picture of it in use?

I think I will design a simmer ring thing that can be used more conveniently. Seems silly to have to turn a round plate to the side to uncover some side of the burner. Gotta be a better way that is much easier to use. Maybe I will get rich!

Let’s do this! (Seems I heard that before somewhere...) My first thought is that the simmer disk should be split in half and something ‘scissor like’ attached to the two halves. So, opening or closing the scissors opens a V-shaped opening on top of the burner.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  38. cardo

cardo Scout

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]
    See it here ... https://trangia.se/en/other-accessories/

Did anyone else have trouble figuring out how this worked? It's an optical illusion to me. Finally found a picture with it in the Trangia kit - it's flat and the three sections are identical in size and shape!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    NevadaBlue likes this.
  39. bigfoots

bigfoots Scout

Blog Posts:
    I can't make heads nor tails of it and the link just comes up a blank page.

NevadaBlue likes this.
  40. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Using @zelph ’s new stove for a starting point, because it has a ‘pivot point’ for the halves. Kinda sorta like this:
    55C1C938-F89F-4E95-BF92-8F816839C288.jpeg

Pressing the ‘scissor handles’ together opens the ‘snuffer’ thing, letting it serve as a simmer ring. The scissor halves don’t cross, so they work by pinching the handles together. Pushing them apart would close the snuffer.

41. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Wow, they complicated that. A couple of holes and a couple of tent pins and it would be done much more simply.

42. bigfoots

bigfoots Scout

Blog Posts:
    That pic is a total optical illusion! I found a video of it being used but cardo already posted a pic of it.

NevadaBlue likes this.
  43. LogCabin

LogCabin Scout

Blog Posts:
    The photo in the post below mine shows it well.
    It is used to support pots too small for the existing windscreen supports. Like a small percolator or espresso maker.

I was just adding less known information about Trangia. I thought it would help some of you.

NevadaBlue likes this.
  44. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Of course. It is interesting for sure. I plan to drill a series of holes in my Sigg Tourist set for simple pins, much more versatile and more simple. I am simple.

bigfoots likes this.
  45. LogCabin

LogCabin Scout

Blog Posts:
    Discussion about getting a Trangia pan stand, photos, and some discussion of making one.
    Link

46. bigfoots

bigfoots Scout

Blog Posts:
    IMG_20181014_122326.jpg I went on a day hike/shake down cruise yesterday and tested out my new trangia . One thing I found out was when I just set the simmer cap on the stove it didn't go out it shot a 2 inch flame through the little hole in the cap. But when I kind of dropped the cap from about 3/4-1 inch above the cap it went right out. That was after boiling water for tea. So I can either drop the cap or maybe rig something to temporarily cover the little hole which should smother the flame.

47. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    I noticed the same thing on my new burner as you did Bigfoot. It only shot flames up through the hole in the simmer ring for about five seconds before dying out.

bigfoots likes this.
  48. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just got back from my wilderness trip. Absolutely no issues with the new trangia stove leaking. It has had fuel stored for nine days. It actually makes a suction sound each time that I open it due to the change in temp from when I closed it and the altitude change.

Zelph...I noticed that it likes to have a hot spot in the center of the duossal pan that is about three inches wide when used without the simmer ring (using denatured alcohol). I can fry my spam on the outer edges but the center spot makes them crispy a whole lot faster on full burn. At 15% reduced heat with the simmer ring on it seems to be more forgiving on spreading the heat and cooking more evenly. If I were to try to cook pancakes, bannock, eggs, etc or other types of food that required a slightly slower and more even cooking I would probably reduce the flame with the simmer ring from somewhere between 15-25% (less than 1/3rd of the ring) to achieve best results. This is my first trangia set so I'm learning and don't know how that compares to say the non-stick or hard anodized versions in regards to the hot spot.

MrFixIt likes this.
  49. zelph

zelph Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Trangias are known to burn hot so using the simmer ring between 15-25% is good advice for those just starting out using it for cooking. Thanks for the informative feedback.

Hot flame Trangia[​IMG]

MrFixIt and grey mouse like this.