TRANGIA BURNER PROBLEMS???

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by zelph, Sep 13, 2018.

1. zelph

zelph Guide Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This morning I was watching some dry baking videos and saw the Trangia burner was difficult to snuff out when using the simmer ring. After the simmer ring was used to snuff out the stove, the flames continued and the user had to blow out the flames/stove.

Have you experienced the same problem of flame not being extinguished?

Another thing, why does the simmer ring need to be removed, adjusted to close position and then returned to stove top to snuff it out?

Watch the videos, fast forward to the times marked to see what I'm talking about.
    Fast forward to min. 3:14

Fast forward to min. 6:25

Fast forward min. 5:18

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  2. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I had one and gave it away.
    I have a Mega StarLyte :4: and simply raise the pot for slower cooking times.

3. Haggis

Haggis Guide

Blog Posts:
    The simmer ring will snuff out the flame,,, maybe instantly, or after a few seconds. I’ve been anxious and blown mine out, and I’ve just let it go,,, it’ll go out on it’s own with the simmer ring on and closed. If it can’t breath, it can’t burn I reckon.

Birdman, Eric Westbrook and MrFixIt like this.
  4. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'd suspect it has to do with the temperature of the mass of the Trangia stove still being hot. At the first video the Trangia had been burning 45 minutes that's a long time. The mass of a Trangia is more than other comparative stoves. Maybe using a laser thermometer would help figuring this out.
    My guess, is the heat retained in the Trangia allows the fuel to form a gasious state once extinguished and that retained heat still allows gasious fuel self ignition. Gasious fuel and liquid fuel will have different flash points. Open flame is around 900F using my laser thermometer. Look at the safety data sheets for the fuel being used.

An extra thought, he is doing these indoors inside that mojo stand slightly trapping the atmosphere conditions at the stove. Try outdoors and you have suttle crosswinds that can change conditions rapidly for that localized atmosphere with alcohol stoves.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  5. Eric Westbrook

Eric Westbrook Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Never had any issues with mine, work just like they're supposed to.

Haggis, MrFixIt and gdwigg like this.
  6. Spork

Spork Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yes, usually after the burner has been running for a long time. I don’t see it as a problem.

Haggis, MrFixIt and gdwigg like this.
  7. gdwigg

gdwigg Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't have a Trangia, but I have few other branded spirit burners. I've never had a problem lighting, burning, or extinguishing any of them. The burners you sell look pretty cool, and have great reviews, but I have no complaints with what I already have.

Haggis and MrFixIt like this.
  8. Timex

Timex Guide

Blog Posts:
    Food for thought. I am very careful with my Trangea stove. Fire danger in my area can be very high.

MrFixIt and Haggis like this.
  9. zelph

zelph Guide Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    About a month ago I ordered a simmer lid for use with another stove. I could not snuff it out by sliding the cover over the opening. The simmer ring has been really hot when trying to use it. Seems like there is so much vaporization going on that the flames are slightly visible at the edges of the sliding hole cover. After observing it many times I was able to see the tiniest of flame coming out the hole where the cover plate pivots. So when I opened the cover plate the little flame reignited the burner vapors.

The little hole is where the flame was still burning. Be safe, blow at the burner when finished using it to snuff the tiny flame. It's very difficult to see the flame during daylight hours.
    [​IMG]

The Trangia is a burner that we need to be careful with because there is a lot of fuel in it when in use. Knock your pot off the burner and it's likely to make the burner tip over causing some interesting flames that might shorten your eyebrows :eek:

I agree with this quote:

""I'd suspect it has to do with the temperature of the mass of the Trangia stove still being hot. At the first video the Trangia had been burning 45 minutes that's a long time. The mass of a Trangia is more than other comparative stoves. Maybe using a laser thermometer would help figuring this out.
    My guess, is the heat retained in the Trangia allows the fuel to form a gasious state once extinguished and that retained heat still allows gasious fuel self ignition. Gasious fuel and liquid fuel will have different flash points. Open flame is around 900F using my laser thermometer. Look at the safety data sheets for the fuel being used.""

MrFixIt, Haggis and HK Forest like this.
  10. MiteyF

MiteyF Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've never had a problem putting out my Trangia with the simmer ring, even after long, hot cooks.

MrFixIt and Haggis like this.