Tree Identification Website

Discussion in 'Tree and Plant ID Database' started by Flint_2016, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    It's a bit simple,mostly for beginners in tree i.d.,but this website assisted me in finding info on trees by leaf,by common name,scientific name,and by fruit.I just thought I'd share the link for others out there who need assistance in addition to field manuals.It's for the state of Ohio,so it's going to be for that section of the U.S.,hardiness zone 5-6
    What Tree Is It? HOME
    Identify by Leaf
    Identify by Fruit
    Identify Tree by Name
    For example I searched for evergreens with whorled needles,like a Norway Spruce,or White Spruce.I then searched for Norway Spruce and this is what came up:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Leaf Characteristics
    • needle-like
    • needles single, not in clusters
    • shiny green
    Fruit Characteristics
    • cone or cone-like
    • cones greater than 1 inch long
    • scales with end wings
    • cones dry and hard
    • scales thin
    • cones 4 - 8 inches long

Norway Spruce

Picea abies
    The bark is reddish-brown and roughened with thick scales. Twigs also are reddish-brown and somewhat rough. The cones are the largest of the spruces. In 1987, the Ohio Forestry Association recorded a 90-foot tall specimen of the Norway Spruce in Summit County, Ohio. This tree generally grows taller than its relative, the White Spruce. The Norway Spruce can tolerate a great deal of cold, winter weather. It grows well in a variety of moist soils in temperate habitats that are humid and cool. In its native habitat of northern and central Europe the Norway Spruce is a very important commercial true. As an introduced tree in the United States, including Ohio, it is planted as an ornamental. And it is widely used in replacing forests. Also, the Christmas tree industry cultivates and uses this tree.

[​IMG]
    Tree Size
    height 60' - 90'
    diameter 1' - 3'
    [​IMG]
    Bark
    Appears simple,yet a very helpful way to i'd.Too bad there's not an app for your phone like this

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  2. Loogaroo

Loogaroo BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Very Nice! Thank you.

Flint_2016 likes this.
  3. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Most welcome