Triune Pen - How To

Discussion in 'Aion Innovation' started by Aion Innovation, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Aion Innovation

Aion Innovation Tracker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Hi Everyone,

I'm starting this thread to answer any questions about using the Triune Pen. I have some more polished/edited videos on Youtube if you just search Aion Innovation on Youtube they should all come up. Please feel free to ask me any questions in this thread, so that other people can see the answers.

To start put the cap of the pen down onto a piece of flat wood like the top of a stump or workbench with the piston facing upward. Then push the body of the fire piston down over top of the piston until you feel some resistance. The start of the bore is a little bigger so that you can get the orings inside easier. Once the orings just start into the tighter section you are ready to push down on it. The keys are enough force to get the piston to almost bottom out and a good bit of speed. Before you push it with speed, try just getting getting a feel for how much force is needed to get it within 1/4" of the bottom of the bore. Then once you know roughly how hard to push it, push down on it one time fast and pull it back out quickly. If it doesn't ignite, the stroke wasn't long enough or fast enough. Here are some detailed shots of how I hold the fire piston to get a coal ignited. You can also just hold it sideways and squeeze it between your palms, but this method is a little more difficult.

1st.jpg
    2nd.jpg
    3rd.jpg
    4th.jpg

Hope some of this helps and definitely let everyone know when you get it to work and if you discover any tricks or tips for others.

Thank you,
    James

2. pellegrino

pellegrino Much to learn... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, James. I'm really liking my Triune pen so far, and it's been a bit of trial and error with the fire piston. It's my first time using a fire piston, so I have a couple questions which I guess may apply to a fire piston in general, as well as the one on the Triune pen.
    - Is it possible to over-lubricate the piston shaft? I had used some petroleum jelly and perhaps appled it too liberally to the piston shaft instead of just the o-rings.
    - How much impact does the volume of char have on the ability to produce an ember? I have been trying a relatively small piece of char-cloth into the little divot/receptacle. I'm wondering if filling the divot more or less flush with char will increase chances of producing an ember? I am guessing that force and speed of the piston actuation are probably the primary variables of concern, but I figured I'd ask. Awesome pen, by the way. Excellent craftsmanship and great attention to detail.

ArmyMacE likes this.
  3. Aion Innovation

Aion Innovation Tracker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    @pellegrino
    Great question on the over lubrication. I don't think it will affect the functionality, but it could definitely make a mess if you get it on your clothes or on the outside of the pen. I usually just put a dab on the orings and then wipe it around diameter with my finger. As you load the piston down into the cylinder you can rotate it to spread it around more as well.

Your second question about the amount of char cloth to use is something I have experimented with and it doesn't seem like it affects how easy it is to get an ember. I have noticed if there are little frayed strings hanging off of the piece in the end of the piston, that those seem to ignite easier. So maybe try roughing up the char cloth a little bit so there are some frayed edges sticking out to catch on fire easier. If you can take a video of your attempts and post it and I can help troubleshoot your technique. Also, it would be cool to get to know more of you that way.

I hope this helps,
    James

ArmyMacE and pellegrino like this.