Trying become a better shot !

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Knifeguy510, Apr 14, 2019 at 11:57 AM.

1. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    So I have been trying to be more regimented with my training . Dry fire regularly and shoot at least 3 tumes a week. My philosophy being 1 or 2 times a week wont cut it. You need to do something all the time to become proficient at it. But man with work and home life its so hard sometimes to have the energy sometimes. There are some weekends where im just like I just wana rest . I actually end up feeling guilty for not going !! ? Anyone else have this .

bacpacjac, Haggis, actichy and 2 others like this.
  2. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I'm no crack shot but I would think one or two times a week would be plenty if you're also dry firing. Can't say what it takes to "maintain" because I'm still in the learning phase.

BTW I'm thinking of handgun shooting. Rifle is just easier.

3. Mikewood

Mikewood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Buy a green gas airsift gun and setup a cardboard box in your garage for a shooting range. Practice every day. It looks not takes a few minutes.

4. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Shooting for annual/bi-annual qualification in the Army and as LEO I shot a firearm very small fraction of a day or two each year.
    Your doing fine. If you feel you need more take a class.

bacpacjac, Haggis, Lichen and 2 others like this.
  5. central joe

central joe All quacked up Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Practicing when you are too tired, or don't feel like it does you no good. I think you are talking about target and not self defense. 25 good rounds is better than 250 when you aren't in the mood. When I shot comp. I had days that I didn't feel like shooting and didn't. I also had those days when I went ahead and shot, terribly. Ya need practice, but ya can't rush or push it. Just my opinion. joe

JeffG, aaronu, FreeMe and 7 others like this.
  6. Black Jaque Janaviac

Black Jaque Janaviac Scout

Blog Posts:
    Is this your philosophy or your experience with shooting?

For some things like physical fitness I agree - especially if you are trying to improve something. But for shooting I think dry-firing counts. I think it can be even more beneficial because it helps you focus on the individual steps and fundamentals because you're not as concerned about where your bullets are hitting. I'd be thrilled if I could actually get out once a week.

7. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I shoot once or sometimes twice a week with a .22 bolt gun 5 shots at a 2" disc at 50 yards, offhand. I also go to the range twice a month and shoot AR or bolt gun at steel at much longer yardage. At the same time I hit the pistol range and shoot 50-100 rounds at 7 yards with a .22 or 9mm pistol and 100 rounds at 25 yards with. 9mm,10mm,.357, or a .44 SPL. I take a week long class every other year ,alternating between rifle and pistol. This regimen seems to work for me. Everyone will have a different take on this and what works for them...

Recurve and longbow archery when time allows...

That is all the time and $$ I can afford put into it. I hunt with a rifle for deer and a shotgun for upland game.

Regards,

ezra

bacpacjac and central joe like this.
  8. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    JeffG, bacpacjac, central joe and 2 others like this.
  9. injun51

injun51 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I used to earn my living with a gun, so I could shoot pretty well. Then I got married and had the responsibilities of a husband and didn't shoot for a little over a year. My ability to shoot went right into the crapper. Lost my muscle memory and could barely hit a paper plate at 25 yards with a gun 1 year earlier, I could have shot a mosquito off your shoulder with. I joined a local range and have thankfully gotten my shooting abilities back, for the most part. So yes, I feel your pain. I too feel guilty when I miss a training session.

JeffG, aaronu, FreeMe and 2 others like this.
  10. southron

southron Guide

Blog Posts:
    Practice is always the key to getting better.

but it matters as much that you practice properly. By that I mean you don't let any bad habits creep into your shooting.

There is a lot to cover, and for many a class is a good thing if the teacher is a good teacher.

I usually suggest trying to get the pdf of "shooting to live" and reading that if we are talking handguns for self defense.

For target there are field manuals that are a good starting point.

Finding a mentor and learning from them assuming that they know what they are talking and not blowing smoke is invaluable.

but proper consistent and regulear practice is the root of the whole thing.

FreeMe, bacpacjac and central joe like this.
  11. insector

insector Scout

Blog Posts:
    You can make a science of most anything, especially ballistics. We all shoot different, meaning to some it is natural. Others not so much so. Eyesight differs with time and among individuals.

I once saw my Dad back in the day drop a doe in a hay field at about 250 yards with a navy issue 30-06 springfield bolt. With the original open sights. And a sling. Sitting with both elbows on the knees.
    He had never shot it before.........it was the first bullet out the barrel since it was still in the original box when we got it in the mail. He had good eyes. I could not hardly see that far at the time so it sure impressed me as a kid............he never practiced.

I practice when I can, but will never be that good. Even with a scope. I guess he practiced a lot in the navy. He shot antiaircraft guns on carrier ships long ago................

Point being.......we all need to practice according to our individual needs. Once I sight a gun in and feel comfy with it..........I then leave it till I am about to use it again or go on to the next gun........

Its a cycle for me.....I also shoot archery so the two tend to compliment each other in ways. I learned to shoot bow before rifle and it seemed to help my gun shooting considerable. I learned to shoot with both eyes open.........it helps considerable for me with increased depth perception in the bush.........

I shoot till I am comfortable hitting a bullseye at 100 yards with a rifle. 50 with a handgun.........and I need to shoot a big bore handgun much more often at closer range than a rifle (the dang things kick, no?). But all I really shoot them for is the good feel I get when I touch one off and it goes where I want it to at 100 yards or less..............so I continue to try my hand with elk. Thats all I hunt anymore........

JeffG, jackpinesavage, FreeMe and 2 others like this.
  12. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Move closer to your target,,, once you’re puttin’ your shots in the same hole, move back a little, once you’re again putting shots in the same hole, move back a little. Repeat until you can’t,,,

I’m not a good shot, not very good at all, still, I only shoot my rifle 1 to 3 times every fall to check my sights. Pretty rare a legal deer walks within a quarter mile of my stand and not get tagged. A good rifle, well sighted in, don’t need much of a savvy shooter to hit center pretty far out...

JeffG, jackpinesavage, FreeMe and 2 others like this.
  13. GunGoBoom

GunGoBoom I'm not lost, I've just misplaced myself. Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely agree with this. Perfect practice makes perfect. Sloppy practice when you don't want to do it makes you sloppy. Whatever you do in practice you will repeat.

JeffG, jackpinesavage, FreeMe and 3 others like this.
  14. Robedsubset

Robedsubset Scout

Blog Posts:
    Man, I’m lucky to get out once a month. I guess it depends on how good you want to be. I’m pretty confident in my self defense and hunting capabilities...but I’m not shooting cigarettes out of someone’s mouth with a revolver good. But I’m ok with that.

bacpacjac and central joe like this.
  15. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    What are your shooting goals? Range time is not necessarily good practice.

FreeMe, bacpacjac, scottman and 2 others like this.
  16. 1773

1773 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When I was younger I would dryfire practice 2 hours or so a day, fire 250 plus centerfire rifle rounds a week, 250 to 500 centerfire handgun rounds and over 1000 22 rounds per week in a very structured manner, I could shoot far better then, than I can now that I shoot 50 or so rounds a couple times a week. I don't have time for the rigid training now that my job has changed and I have a family and other responsibilities, and since I have to buy most of my own ammunition now cost becomes a factor as well. It is easy for me to practice though as I am blessed to have a private range on my property so travel and availability is not a factor. Plus other than safe firearms handling rules, the only rules that apply are the ones that I make so I can shoot from the holster, from field positions, on the move, from a vehicle, as fast or as slow as I want, or at night just depending on what I want to work on during that training session.

So yes practice does make a difference but only if done properly, you are building muscle memory every time you draw a handgun, snap in with a rifle or cycle the trigger but it can be good muscle memory or bad muscle memory. Plus if you are tired or distracted your focus will not be up to par and your training will not be beneficial. Also when you do practice don't shoot to the point where you are fatigued as you will not be getting positive training accomplished and may actually be moving backwards at that point. It really depends on what you are trying to achieve with your training, is it for defensive use, hunting, or competition.

As has already been said dryfire practice is very beneficial, you can perfect a draw stroke, work on trigger manipulations, reloads and field shooting positions in a climate controlled environment without the distraction of recoil, muzzle blast, and worrying about where the rounds are hitting. Just be sure you have an area where you can do it without distractions and that there are no live rounds at all in that area.

FreeMe, central joe and bacpacjac like this.
  17. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thats for all the comment guys . I am confident if joe meth head breaks in during the middle of the night I can defend my family. Inside of 12 yards If I fire 2 15 round mags it is difficult to count em all as many go through the same hole. Im really just talking about further distances . Its good to know im not the only one .

18. Pinnah

Pinnah Tracker

Blog Posts:
    We've had our house broken into by a likely drug addict, I have my LTC but I still don't keep a weapon at hand for home defense. It's a very personal decision and I understand and support people regardless of how they make it.

That said, one of the many factors (and there are many) is that I find the constant state of fear to be mentally/emotionally exhausting. I simply choose to not live in that state of mind and look at the risk differently.

I shoot competitively. I suck at it but I have a great time. Training and shooting remain fun for me because the comaradary and competition are fun.

I'm not recommending you entirely give up the idea of home defense. But perhaps a shift to competition will give your mind a less wearisome and more fun and sustainable reason to shoot.

19. leghog

leghog Scout

Blog Posts:
    Carrying or having a firearm readily available for self defense and training with it doesn't equate to a state of fear, constant or otherwise, any more than having a fire extinguisher or liability insurance does.

20. Pinnah

Pinnah Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Fear might be the wrong term.

Note, I'm reflecting mostly on my own personal experience. Others may or may not have the same experience.

Firearms are deadly weapons. When I handle my firearms, I'm in a place of heightened awareness to ensure an accident doesn't happen. I expect and demand that from others on the firing line. I enjoy shooting a lot, which is why I shoot as often as I do but I don't want to have that level of safety readiness with me constantly.

I lived in an urban setting for many years and am reasonably aware of my surroundings and threats. Our family carry mace, mostly for hiking in near country parklands (higher probability of mischief). I already assess strangers we meet in terms of risk but with mace in hand, I'm a) confident about the ability to break contact and b) don't need to by hyper vigilant about the ramifications of deploying it, as I would with a firearm. In short, I personally find the question "Do I need to kill this person" (<- the question that LTC implies) to be wearisome.

As I noted, I fully and completely support the right to carry for self defense. If it works for you or for others, that's fantastic.

21. Kennebago

Kennebago Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Honestly reading was the thing that made me improve the fastest. Enos to start and then Stoeger / Anderson. That and obviously dryfire.

I'm no great shakes, and I'm not fast enough. But I can generally diagnose things myself, which is enormous. Especially in terms of fit, which is more important than people believe. When you can pick up a handgun, look at how your finger interacts with the trigger, and know immediately how well it will work for or against your individual body, you are doing it right IMO.

I think the other thing that gets overlooked is weak-hand manipulations. That is another good "stop look and listen" exercise.

I do push through discomfort... but very short durations only. Not everyday is going to be ideal - you'll be tired, or grumpy, or dehydrated, or have a migraine, or whatever else. Bad stuff doesn't wait until you are good and ready for it. So bearing down for a few minutes to 1) get used to being uncomfortable with a gun in your hand and 2) observe what your capability does when you feel like dog food is pretty useful and should not be completely skipped IMO. YMMV.

Ammo is expensive, dryfire is free(ish). I adopted the competitive mindset that live fire exists to confirm what you are doing in dryfire.

Best money I think a person trying to improve can spend is on a shot timer, a dryfire manual, and some reduced-scale targets from Stoeger's shop. The dryfire card deck on Amazon is actually pretty awesome for fun (as long as you use your noodle).

I'm too broke to take a formal class but using what I taught myself I pretty clearly outshoot the retired combat vet that runs my group at work. It pisses him off to no end.

FreeMe, central joe and Park Swan like this.
  22. werewolf won

Blog Posts:

Have you ever shot a moving target—was it a ten ring hit-ever time?

Ever shoot at something while being shot at? There is a little training center just up the road in Attleboro that will do just that to you. With paintballs not bullets, but they leave welts you will not soon forget.

Shot from behind cover? Do you know what good cover is? Do you know where the places in your house that will become fatal for you or your opponent? They are there -- and can work both for and against you.

How fast can you clear a jam, regain your target and get off the next round?

Are those rounds 10’s-- Every time?

One handed, two handed, and one handed with your non-dominate hand?

How about all of the above in the dark? Do you know how to preserve your night vision? Do you know how to silhouette your target without silhouetting yourself?

Ever illuminate your target with just a flashlight—still shooting 10’s?

FreeMe and central joe like this.
  23. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have done none of that just static targets .I have never even shot at a steel target ! And id really like to that tink sound seems like it would be awsome. At 25 yards on paper I cant even see the hole in the target. I did get an offer from a member here to come up to his neck of the woods where people are more free. He has a carbine range in his back yard and is or was a tactical carbine instructor ! The people here are so great . when the weather gets better im gona take a ride up there.In looking forward to shooting from a diffrent position than standing straight up and shooting straight forward.

FreeMe, werewolf won and central joe like this.
  24. Pinnah

Pinnah Tracker

Blog Posts:
  25. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    There are numerous pistol competitions (IDPA etc.) for combat orientated shooters. But anytime the count points and or split seconds it becomes and equipment race, so don’t even think of winning one of the big matches unless you’re willing to spend a small fortune on the gun (s), travel to multiple matches, hotels, lots of ammo and even more hours of practice. However shooting against yourself with your carry gun will improve your combat skills faster than just about anything else, and you’ll have some fun doing it.

For accuracy and speed take up Bullseye shooting. There are leagues around you that shoot one night a week year round, and plenty of other opportunities to shoot other matches. It is shot with both center fire and rim fire pistols. Plenty of guys shoot Ruger MKII and III’s and do well—just as many shot $2500.00 Pardini’s too, but it’s a welcoming crowd with the good old boys well outnumbering the occasional snob.

ISSF pistol is a little harder to find locally. There are air pistol opportunities but men’s 25 meter rapid fire is going to involve some serious travel. Free Pistol is around, that’s a pure accuracy game.

Don’t over look BP shooting. If you can learn to shoot a BP pistol well with it’s long lock time and simple iron sights it will improve your shooting with just about anything. It’s also a sport that everyone is willing to help a beginner with.

FreeMe, Pinnah and x39 like this.
  26. x39

Blog Posts:
    This is my philosophy as well. I've shot in outlaw action pistol matches for years, and just recently the range where I shoot was sanctioned by the USPSA. I have no illusions of placing anywhere near the top, my entire focus is making good hits consistently and moving smoothly. The speed and accuracy of some the young guys shooting Carry Optics is mind blowing though.

werewolf won likes this.
  27. Black Jaque Janaviac

Black Jaque Janaviac Scout

Blog Posts:
    There's also the possibility of wax bullet practice. You can load a case with just a primer and a plug of wax.

Does anyone know if they sell lead-free primers for reloaders? That would be perfect for plinking wax bullets in the garage. I prefer not to have lead soot covering the garage floor.

28. Wasp

Wasp Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    "Trying to become a better shot!"

Use them thar sight thangys atop the gun.;)

Knifeguy510 likes this.
  29. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    If I do shoot in some competitions it certainly wouldnt be to win !! Just for the fun and the chance to hang out with and talk to people way more skilled than myself . Im going to look into the appleseed deal that someone here told me to . Id like to get a bit better though b4 attempting a competition of any kind . I dont wana look like a fool out there. One thing I know is I will be shootin the rest of my life !!! I started a couple of years ago when I bought my first gun just to keep my family safe. I dont need no crazy rifle I said 20190306_052633.jpg then I got this . and a 1911 and a carry gun . Then of course I needed a 22 cal. Lol

yooper71, FreeMe, x39 and 1 other person like this.
  30. x39

Blog Posts:
    By and large, I've found serious shooters to be among the most welcoming and helpful people I've ever met. Just go in with an open mind and it's all good.

FreeMe, Pinnah and scottman like this.
  31. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    DONT TRY... You should NEVER “TRY”. You should DO!

yooper71 likes this.
  32. Dave_Markowitz

Dave_Markowitz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    One of the best ways to become a better shot is practicing with an airgun. They require better follow through than firearms, which means that once your airgun shooting improves your firearms shooting will also improve. A spring piston airgun is dirt cheap to shoot, quiet, and the low powered versions can be shot indoors into a homemade backstop. E.g., a box filled with a couple layers of duct seal.

33. Gruxxx

Gruxxx NRA Endowment Life Member Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'd also suggest seeking out any classes or clinics you can find to establish solid foundations. Getting involved in competions will also up your game as you learn from other competitors.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 10:20 PM