Tweaking the USGI 2qt. canteen kit

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Roamer, May 24, 2018.

1. Roamer

Roamer Guide

Blog Posts:
    Living in a high-desert environment, I recently decided a USGI 2 qt. canteen will be my constant companion. It's the most comfortable way I've found to carry this much water, since I don't like hydration packs and usually don't need the capacity of a backpack (plus they make you sweaty). The secret is the really wide shoulder strap, which distributes the weight of all that water very well.

[​IMG]

Only problem is, the canteen carrier leaves much to be desired. It only has that one tiny pocket out front.

But I found a couple ways to stuff more into it.

The label under the lid can be turned into a pocket by simply cutting a slit into it. I stuffed a little tinder kit in there (fatwood & pj cotton balls):

[​IMG]

In the picture above, you can see that I cut two smaller slits in the nylon shell at the back of the canteen carrier, under the lid. These hold a firesteel and a mini Maglight perfectly, and their lanyards are connected by an S-biner so they don't fall out.

These things, and a few more, would also fit in the main pocket. But I don't want anything in there that would rub or cut the canteen, since it's relatively fragile.

Also, what's that orange thing slipped behind the canteen? It's an AMK 2-man survival blanket wrapped in a 55-gallon drum liner:

[​IMG]

The tiny pocket out front is the perfect size for a mini Altoids tin, which holds 10 stormproof matches, a tiny emergency whistle and 4 water purification tabs.

An energy bar fits in the big main pocket beside the canteen. And that foil thing is the seal from a peanut can that rides in the main pocket in front of the canteen. It works great as an ultralight bowl to water my dog and avoid wasting water.

The jacket you see there is a Patagonia mil-spec wind shirt tied around the shoulder strap. It's perfect protection when the wind kicks up or a thunderstorm rolls in.

With this kit and a knife on my belt, I feel pretty well covered for a few hours of exploring.

Who else uses the 2 qt. canteen? Would love to see your setup.

2. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I too like the 2 quart canteen.

Your ideas are brilliant, IMO. A must save post. Thank you!

Wrap a couple of turns of electrical tape around the lid/bottom of the tin and it becomes waterproof. The tape lasts a LONG time and is useful for other things if the need arises. (I learned that from an Air Force survival tin that was made to be sealed with electrical tape, didn’t know that .gov designers were that smart. Well, that was back in the 60s or so. :rolleyes: )

3. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Ok, time to drag out my canteen pouch...thanks for some great ideas!

4. CampCowan

CampCowan Wabi Sabi Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Nice kit, well thought out.

5. Roamer

Roamer Guide

Blog Posts:
    Another thing I've noticed, which is sort of a bummer, is that these canteens leave a "plasticky" taste in the water if it sits for more than a day or two. So I always empty it after each outing & let it air out. I'm hoping this passes over time.

6. DarrylM

DarrylM Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Try leaving salt water in it overnight, drain, rinse, fill with fresh and see if the plastic taste stays away longer. The salt water was a trick for the pre-lexan Nalgene bottles.

7. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sweet mods! I too love the 2qt.

GreySwampFox, Roamer and blind & lost like this.
  8. Roamer

Roamer Guide

Blog Posts:
    @DarrylM Great advice, I'll try it tonight!

DarrylM likes this.
  9. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    No kits in mine just (2) tan and (1) OD GI 2 quart canteens, cases, with straps.
    I just use mine when in areas between stretches of good water sources. Carrying extra water is the only thing worth the extra weight IMO.
    Great advice on salty water overnight, taste used to just be a lower priority.

All of my GI canteens have the protective mask drinking caps, never had leaks.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  10. Spork

Spork Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I found the cover will accept the Arctic canteen cup. It does reduce the volume a bit, but I haven't measured how much less it would be.

11. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    I purchased my tan 2-QT canteen back in the late 80's I don't recall water in it having that plastic(y) taste then, water in it today certainly does not hold any plastic taste at all even after sitting for months filled. I haven't added anything to its case, so strictly used as water supply currently. I do sanitize it occasionally though, by boiling water then filling the canteen with the boiling water and let it sit for a few minutes. (Till canteen is uncomfortable to hold from the heat.) Rinse with bottled water after to help cool canteen, then fill with bottled water again.
    I like your ideas of adding the fero rod and mag-lite though! I 24/7 EDC a mini-mag on belt so I probably won't be adding one to my canteen, the fero rod though? possibility!

Roamer and SoreFeet like this.
  12. bumma

bumma Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sweet mods there. My son has one of these. I'll have to have him see what you've done.
    Thanks for sharing!

Roamer likes this.