Twist Rate Question

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by werewolf won, Aug 14, 2019.

1. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I’ve wanted a nice .22 Hornet for a long time. I think this is the year I get one. I was considering a Ruger 77/22 figuring it would be a nice stable mate to my main center fire deer rifle a Ruger M77 .270 Win. Then I saw the $1000 dollar price tag. I don’t think so. Next up is the CZ but in looking at the specifications they list the barrel twist as 1 in 16 and that seems off to me. Ruger and savage both list 1 in 14 as their standard. Anyone know what advantage 1 in 16 may offer in the .22 Hornet round? I will not be hand loading.

JeffG likes this.
  2. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    The Hornet shoots 45G Bullets. 1:16 is the long time std.

Modern makers have been going to slower twists cause the arm chair commandos thing it’s needed cause the 223 “needs” it.... Also cause the same .224 barrel can be used for either before chambering and having only one or two twist rates is cheaper and knowing its impossible to OVER stabilize a bullet ESP considering the lower velocities of the lil Hornet...

Long story short, don’t worry about it ESP since you are factory fodder shooter.

CW

3. Mikewood

Mikewood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    1:16 sounds pretty ragged to me.
    The 5.56 55 at 3200 is 1:12. And that’s kind of close to unstable.
    Then again maybe that’s what they are going for. A bullet that will tumble when it hits a soft target.

werewolf won likes this.
  4. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    NevadaBlue, hma153 and werewolf won like this.
  5. ywaltzucanrknrl

ywaltzucanrknrl Tracker

Blog Posts:
    CW, didn't you mean to say "Modern makers have been going to faster twists" ?
    FWIW, I have an older Savage with a 1 in 16 and it's fine with factory ammo. Not sure there is much difference/advantage/disadvantage between a 1 in 14 or 1 in 16 in a 22 Hornet.
    I wanted a Ruger also, but didn't like the price tag----my preference today would be a CZ.

werewolf won likes this.
  6. Theangrywelder

Theangrywelder Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My understanding is, rifle manufactures have gone to a faster twist rate due to bullet length. The faster twist rates make the longer bullets fly with a more stable trajectory than the older twist rate and shorter bullets. I agree with Cwlongshot, most people don't understand that barrel length has a lot to do with bullet speed, which ultimately affects twist rate. Not only will you loose muzzle velocity due to both a barrel that is two short, leaving to much unburned powder in the barrel or burning all of the power to quickly in a barrel that is two long, but with a short barrel even with the correct rifle twist the bullet will not have a stable flight path. Barrel length has as much to do with stable flight as rifle twist.

Cwlongshot and werewolf won like this.
  7. cstrickland

cstrickland Scout

Blog Posts:
    werewolf won likes this.
  8. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    [QUOTE="Theangrywelder, post: 4552740, member: 82761]......... but with a short barrel even with the correct rifle twist the bullet will not have a stable flight path. Barrel length has as much to do with stable flight as rifle twist.[/QUOTE]

Point of detail correction....Barrel length alone has no effect on mechanical accuracy. Correct rifling and diameter, with a properly cut muzzle and chamber (and forcing cone for revolvers), are all that matters as far as the barrel is concerned. I have verified that repeatedly with rifle caliber pistols and pocket pistols.

@werewolf won - don't sweat it. My Speer manual lists the twist for 22 Hornet at 1:16.

werewolf won likes this.
  9. JeffG

JeffG Guide

Blog Posts:
    That’s spot on.:dblthumb: To get the varmint bullet effect, the 45gr is what you shoot.

Cwlongshot and werewolf won like this.
  10. Birdman

Birdman IG: @ChasingTheBackcountry Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not sure if it makes a big difference, but the older guns were chambered for actual .223 bullets. These days they're built around .224 bullets. May be a reason for the change to 1:14. Or a cost cutting measure, or who knows?
    Personally, I'd prefer the 1:14, as I tend to play with heavy/long for caliber loads. Anything much over 45 grain seems like it would be pushing it with 1:16
    If shooting factory ammo, it shouldn't matter much either way I suppose.
    Theres plenty of twist rate calculators out there. I'd play with one and see what you come up with.

Cwlongshot, JeffG and werewolf won like this.