Twisted tarred bank line

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by batmanacw, Feb 4, 2019.

1. batmanacw

batmanacw Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I bought some twisted tarred bank line to use for cordage for shelters and other bushcraft chores. I bought twisted because every video I watched on YouTube said that I needed twisted because you can break it down into smaller and smaller lines.

I found that the tar makes it very difficult to untie knots. When I do get the line to untie, it pulls the stands apart.

The tautline hitch and adjustable grip hitch have a very hard time moving, especially after a short time in one spot.

I damaged the 2 ft pieces I cut off to use for practicing knots pretty quickly. Small pieces of the strands pulled out or were disheveled.

My fingertips and nails hurt from trying to dress knots and untie them. There is no possibility I want to deal with that with cold hands.

I would love to use this stuff for setting up shelters, but only in situations where I will either leave it up or I will simply cut the lines once I'm done. It would be awesome for disposable lines. It has the strength for doing serious work.

For now I'll stick with the 3/32" line I bought from County Comm.

https://countycomm.com/products/3-32-tether-nylon-cord

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    actichy, J. Pierce, bacpacjac and 5 others like this.
  2. Staleym

Staleym Dunadan of Cascadia One of the Free People Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Hey there @batmanacw. Thanks for the link. I have used #36 Tarred Bank Line and W. Rose RO689 Super Tough Professional Bonded Braided Nylon Mason's Line for Tarp Ridge Lines and Guy Lines.W. Rose RO689 Super Tough Professional Bonded Braided Nylon Mason's Line They both are light and high tensile strength. I find with age and mediciine side effects, my hands shake and fumble things. Makes tying and untying knots challenging. This information is true bushcraft as it gives one another option to accomplish a given task.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    bacpacjac and batmanacw like this.
  3. schapm

schapm Elitist Inflated Ego LB42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    First I have heard this complaint about bankline. Very interesting as I have never had that problem in my own use. I only have experience with the kind @andy.t sells, I believe the brand is Catahoula. Is that what you were using?

beacon, MrFixIt, andy.t and 2 others like this.
  4. batmanacw

batmanacw Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    No. The Catahoula is supposed to have more tar and be stiffer. No bueno for me. I'll skip it.

20190204_213157.jpg

I might give braided bank line a try.

bacpacjac and Staleym like this.
  5. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I use braided.

6. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Some knots I untie, some I cut. There's more on the roll if I need it.

MrFixIt, LarryB, schapm and 2 others like this.
  7. batmanacw

batmanacw Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    You would take a 1 lb roll back packing?

MrFixIt and bacpacjac like this.
  8. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have braided, but I want to get a roll of twisted to try at some point.

MrFixIt, BBizy, schapm and 1 other person like this.
  9. PAcanis

Blog Posts:

Probably not, but the 1/4lb roll is much smaller. It's about the same size as several hanks of paracord lengths all wrapped up. Maybe smaller. It just isn't flexible when packing (obviously).

10. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Size comparison 1/4lb and 1lb. I've used much more of the 1lb roll.

bank line comparison.jpg

MrFixIt, schapm, bacpacjac and 2 others like this.
  11. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    I only use #36 braded, I would think that after untwisting the other stuff that one would have a tangled mess.

MrFixIt, BBizy, schapm and 1 other person like this.
  12. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I bought a 1/4lb roll of No.18 from @andy.t a few weeks ago .

My wife and kids made a pretty sweet shelter using it . She really liked it .

I got braided for running fish traps this year . So far I really like it .

I don't see myself breaking down line anytime soon.

MrFixIt, BBizy, LarryB and 3 others like this.
  13. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    It's certainly hard to untwist the strands in any kind of usable length. It's more of an emergency use type thing IMO. Like for making fishing line or needing to sew something.
    I think it's more of a "this can be done" with the twisted, making it more of a multi-tasker than the braided. Or on par with stripping a strand out of paracord.

MrFixIt, BBizy, MisterHoodoo and 5 others like this.
  14. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    bankline once tarr'd becomes a product naturally/normally intended for more permanent use

the tar by nature melds itself to itself when knot tying and therefore will usually/most often require a sharp edged tool to undo the lashing/wrapping or whatever

for use w/ an expectation of breaking a knot down or dividing the fibers tarr'd is not your best choice

tarr'd line is what the old time sailing ship riggers used to wrap rigging to prevent corrosion/deterioration of the wrapp'd piece

to inspect the wrapped piece riggers simply cut the tarr'd line off and if the piece was still sound it would get re-wrapped w/ new line

the recent re-rigging of the Charles W. Morgan(last sailing whaling ship) comes to mind

MrFixIt, BBizy, Ragman and 4 others like this.
  15. HannahT

HannahT Firebug Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I love it for building things like chairs and permanent shelters, but it can be a bear to untie. It'd be good for pack frames, too. I really like it for the weather resistance.

MrFixIt, BBizy, LarryB and 3 others like this.
  16. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Queen of the Cups Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Good info for people like me who haven't tried tarred bank line yet but are considering it. I haven't found it in the brick and mortar stores around here yet. (I went to Lowe's this morning looking for some, in fact!) I'm thinking now that I'll go to the fishing gurus and ask them. ;) Thanks guys!

MrFixIt, BBizy, PAcanis and 1 other person like this.
  17. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    @bacpacjac - Kullkraven did a YT vid on it mid to late last year...found it at a Dollarama I think for $4 per roll.

18. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Queen of the Cups Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I KNOW!! It's frustrating me the it hasn't made it the shelves of our Dollarama or Dollar Tree stores yet. Not sure if it's ever going to make it to Ontario but I do the rounds at least once a week, hoping to find it. :(

MrFixIt, BBizy and LarryB like this.
  19. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Tarred bankline is my "throwaway" cord for building camp fixtures. GREAT stuff for lashings and stuff that you don't want to come loose (tables, tripods, ridgepoles, whatever).

While paracord has it's place in a kit, I like the 3/32" stuff best. Donuts hold a bunch in a small package, and keep it from getting tangled. The stuff I bought was called Microcord, came on a spool about like in your link.

Dave_Markowitz and MrFixIt like this.
  20. Kelly W

Kelly W Love the Axe Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I really like tarred line. Really handy. I like to grow flowers in my yard and it is a very durable runner cord for most anything. I don't feel guilt about not recycling either.I got the stuff @andy.t sells and will be getting some more come spring.

MrFixIt, Paulyseggs and andy.t like this.
  21. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Perpetually Off Topic, Sorry. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't use a lot of cord or twine, but I bought some tarred braided for things that I never intended to untie. I like it for that.

Makes for the worst dental floss I ever used though.

22. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I definitely prefer the braided line over the twisted. I guess it's possible to pull the twisted apart to make even more cordage, but I'm not sure how much of a value add that really is. 4 oz. of #36 is more than 100 ft., so it's not difficult to carry enough that you don't need to break it down. Braided holds its shape and doesn't unravel; I think it's easier to work with. Definitely true that tarred cord is grippier, so untying knots can be tricky.

That tether cord looks like good stuff. I'll have to give it a try.

MrFixIt, BBizy, Kelly W and 1 other person like this.
  23. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    Does anyone have a chart for the size and lb strength? And approx width

MrFixIt likes this.
  24. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Here's the chart for Catahoula's tarred twisted bank line. Tarred braided is a little different, but I don't have that chart at my fingertips. I would not use this as a reference for other brands, because all bank line is not created equal.
    Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 1.42.55 PM.png

MrFixIt, BBizy and Paulyseggs like this.
  25. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    5 COL is a vendor here, just bought my second roll of the braided #36. Great stuff, and don't stretch like paracord does.

MrFixIt, Paulyseggs and andy.t like this.
  26. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    :) where I got my last roll

Thanks @andy.t chart is perfect .

MrFixIt, BBizy, andy.t and 1 other person like this.
  27. Nathan H

Nathan H Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I love the tarred bank line for knots i want to stay secure, although its pretty good for prussic loops on a 550 paracord ridge-line.

My its very nature its designed to bind on itself, therefore personally I wouldn't use it for knots like the taught line hitch.

But also I use 3M reflective paracord for my guy lines, as I've tripped over them way to many times during the dark hours that this is now a necessity for me.

Here's a link to where I get my Paracord
    https://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk...d-core---made-in-the-usa---orange-14276-p.asp

MrFixIt likes this.
  28. doulos

doulos Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use #36 bank line for the prusik loops on my para cord ridge line, they work great. Any other uses for bank line I consider expendable. I usually cut knots off rather than untie and save whats left for other task. The stuff is pretty inexpensive. JMHO

29. oddjob35

oddjob35 Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you do not like the tarred bank line, there are other options available such as "Mason's line" or "Seine Twine" that have similar size/weight/packability properties as the bank line, but without the tar. Less sticky, therefore slightly harder to knot tight, and maybe not quite as weather proof though I cannot be sure of that.

Mason's Line is usually #18 only, in either twisted or braided and readily available in most DIY stores (or DIY section of places like Walmart). Good for lightweight applications and similar strength to the tarred bank line of the same size. There are also a variety of colors available rather than just the tar black of true tarred bank line.

Seine Twine can again be found in twisted or braided, but is easier to get in a number of sizes (like 8 sizes ranging from #18 to #72) and a variety of colors. Therefore the thicker lines allow for the heavier duty applications than perhaps the Mason's line. An example of this can be found on Amazon at the following LINK.

Usually I get away with #18 for the majority of applications like lashing a tripod (unless you are using a cast iron Dutch oven perhaps), tie-out guy lines unless weather is really windy, but even then a ranger band at one end allows for even quite strong breezes. Thicker stuff like #36 I use for furniture like lashing a chair or bed together, a multi twisted length for a ridge line or for tying things that will support heavier weights (usually me at 275lbs).

The only down side as I mentioned above is that, without the tar, these lines are more likely to slip/loosen when tying knots in them (a third hand can sometimes be very useful here LOL) and knowing which knots are not going to loosen as easily as others. For example, a decent bowline or figure-8 knot to create a loop at each end of a length of line one end of which can then be larks headed to the tarp, the other end larks headed to a ranger band and the peg through the ranger band and you have a self adjusting non-slip guy line. Day-glo pink or yellow or orange colored so you can see the guys and not trip over them so readily!

Hope this helps.

OJ

NevadaBlue likes this.
  30. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    Me too because I didn't pay attention when I bought it. That said, I don't think I'd have much use for breaking it down into smaller strands.

ETA - A few posts above I said I was going to get twisted to try. After using this for a few months, I'm no longer interested.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    andy.t and NevadaBlue like this.
  31. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like bank line because it is cheap and super strong and I don’t mind cutting it.

Cutting paracord is anathema to me... certainly for one-off uses.

My experience is the same... bank line is almost impossible to untie and really balky for Prussiks and taut lines. Great stuff in its place, but this is not it.

If you want small diameter line for shelters and such, and adjustable knots like Prussiks and taut lines, you really need to check out 1A parachute cord. Really! Paracord-on-paracord slips. Bank line on paracord is nigh on to impossible to work with, as you noted. 1A on paracord is the perfect combination.

https://5col.com/products/military-100-parachute-cord-mil-c-5040h-pia-c-5040-type-Ian

I keep my ridge line permanently set up with a bowline on one end, to slap around a tree and stop with any rough stick toggle I can pick up right there, and with a couple carved toggles on 1A. I can slip those bits of carved poplar through the tabs on my tarp and and run the 1A up and down the paracord to my heart's content... and set up my tarp in two minutes. The Prussiks are easy to slide but hold like rabid badgers.

77913E06-CB8D-4A4B-9062-DD923D99B32F.jpeg

It’s amazing stuff. Paracord’s unheralded little brother.

andy.t, NevadaBlue and Outdoor Dauber like this.
  32. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That’s the 100 pound test stuff Brad?

33. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yes.