two down jackets, light and medium or one heavy jacket

Discussion in 'Winter Camping' started by mtwarden, Jan 21, 2015.

1. t.darrah

t.darrah Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Layering is the only way to go for high octane adventures. For my headlamp start to my Thanksgiving morning trail run I started with three layers and finished with one layer. For reference it was 11* at start and 16* at finish 3.5 hours later.

Not used this morning but one of my favorite layers is a Nano Puff Pullover.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    mtwarden likes this.
  2. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Layers, is the way to go. IMHO...

mtwarden likes this.
  3. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've had a Mont-Bell Thermawrap XL for a while and I was having a whinge on a local forum about the tight cut in the shoulder and some-one offered to swap for a Patagonia Nanopuff pullover in XL, it so happens that while in New York last month I bought one of the new Nanopuff bivvy jumpers in XXL and the R1 hoodie in XXL
    So now I have to try and decide how to layer them all
    Do I leave the R1 for the really cold days and substitute the Nanopuff pullover instead?
    This was an out of the blue offer and I accepted without thinking it through
    The R1 hoodie is a superb garment but really far too warm for Australia most of the time. I was actually going to buy the R1 jumper but then thought that the attached balaclava style hood made sense as I'm always misplacing my warm hat
    Question is how warm is that combination of 2 Ultra light layers going to be and will layering over a Powerstretch top be effective if I have to bivvy unexpectedly
    I start my winter ski holiday on Monday July 4th having been planning it for 6 months, 3 months above the snow line coming up

mtwarden likes this.
  4. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I see the R1 as more of on the move garment (albeit on the move in cold conditions)- the gridded fleece does a good job of moving moisture- I'd want that layer close to my body- either on it's own or over a very light base layer

with two nanopuffs you should have what is roughly equivalent to a DAS parka- two 60 gram garments equalling a 120 gram one- I'd want those on the outside as they block wind/light precip vs the R1 which does neither

layer one nano over top if cold, layer both if really, really cold

Moondog55 likes this.
  5. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    OK Thanx
    I have to wait and see if the nano pullover fits over the R1 top
    I had to get an XXL fleece to fit my shoulders and the Nanopuff sizing has been all over the place lately I think your answer means I'll also need [ possibly] an extra wind layer

mtwarden likes this.
  6. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    possibly, but the nanopuff is pretty decently wind resistant (even has a pretty good dwr) if you're wearing it; if it's just the R1- then definitely a wind layer (if you're experiencing any wind)- the R1 has almost zero wind resistance

7. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Your right there, but that really s it's good point

4runnerv8 and mtwarden like this.
  8. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Well 5 weeks in the "Death Zone" of 5C to -5C later and I can report that the combination of 2 nano-puffs is not as warm as a single DAS parka and the R1 hoodie is not much good in these temperatures. Under a windshell it is too warm and without it not warm at all.
    the 2 Nano puff layered [ I did a swap - my Mont-Bell Thermawrap for a Nano-Puff jumper in the old cut ] fit under the same sized DAS / level 7 PCU parka tho
    The Nanopuff handle the rain associated with these temperatures better than the R1

mtwarden likes this.
  9. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Well our winter is finally over and some more information for you all
    I also had the Uniqlo UL down parka and that fitted over the Nanopuff jumper and under the Nanopuff bivvy and while it is a very flexible system it's also fussy and weighs the same as my heavier down parka and/or the DAS
    The big upside of using the two UL Patagonia garments is that they dry out much faster when they get wet than a single garment of the same warmth and the last few weeks of our winter have been very wet.
    So getting back to the original question I have to say
    "It depends"
    For moderate cold 2 LW but after it drops below -18C [ 0F] then a single big parka to wear when static is what I would do

rsnurkle and mtwarden like this.
  10. Nuttysquirrel

Nuttysquirrel Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Keep in mind a shell layer can add tons of warmth, if you vent right or don't stay active. With my patagonia down sweater and shell I've been comfy in the teens.

mtwarden likes this.
  11. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Teens is no problem I agree, well depending on how you are moving.
    For temps at 0F and belaow I am thinking of getting a new down jumper, actually looking at a custom Skaha from Nunatack. Still layering but using a medium weight down over the Patagonia Nanobivvy, rather than a single heavier parka because it is more flexible.
    I'll be specifying the Skaha with 5 ounces of overfill tho, to get maximum loft and wind resistance

mtwarden likes this.