UCO Stormproof Matches when you really need a fire

Discussion in 'Fire' started by Gumbi, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Gumbi

Gumbi Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    @IA Woodsman has done a few reviews on these matches in the past, but I thought I'd grab my camera, run into the backyard, and make a video to show you why these matches work great, even in bad weather.

All day yesterday, we had sustained winds of 25-30mph all day long, with gusts up to 45mph. Coupled with the cold temps, we were in a weather advisory, and it was unpleasant to be outside.

vlcsnap-2018-01-12-06h38m24s551.png

I struck the match without cupping or shielding it from the wind in any way, and watched it burn.

vlcsnap-2018-01-12-06h39m02s563.png

For a moment at first, I wasn't sure if it would take off, but it did. It burned bright and hot for roughly 15 seconds, which should be plenty of time to get your tinder lit.

Here's the link to the video, which is roughly 30 seconds long. I don't really like where Youtube is going, so I uploaded my video to Bitchute, but I am unable to embed the video here, which is disappointing.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/WtvN37DwwmcG/

@Woods Walker did an excellent review of the Coleman waterproof matches here:
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/thre...tches-coleman-review-walmart-survival.208244/
    I like the coleman waterproof matches and they work well, but they are certainly not windproof. Being windproof is where the UCO stormproof matches really shine.

While I wouldn't use the UCO matches on an every day basis (I would use regular matches or the Coleman matches), I do keep them in my survival kit for when I need a fire right away.
    If you want to purchase these matches, you can find them Andy's 5COL store, and I think I've seen them in the Bushcraft Outfitter's store from time to time, though I don't see them there now.

2. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    I keep a box of them in my pack for emergency use.

3. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

I have several of these ^ stashed all over. Only used them a couple of times (just to see what all the hoopla was about) but I was sold!

4. Erk469

Erk469 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a few of these matches also, some in my car kit and some in my firekit. I love these matches and only use them when it's really wet and/or windy.

MrFixIt, rsnurkle, wingnuts and 7 others like this.
  5. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    They are the best matches you can buy IMO. Wanna try something cool? Light one, submerge it under water in a cup and then pull it back out.

6. DomC

DomC Retired Old Scrub Stomper Supporter

Blog Posts:
    They are worth carrying as "surefire insurance" in an emergency scenario. Redundancy is your friend when dealing with emergency firemaking.;):dblthumb: Good stuff!
    Dominick......

T. Pollock, 45jack, MrFixIt and 9 others like this.
  7. Gumbi

Gumbi Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Here's a gif of the important stuff:

insta.gif

8. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Still going Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I keep them in my truck and PSK. A great product !

T. Pollock, MrFixIt, rsnurkle and 5 others like this.
  9. CHREBA

CHREBA Guide

Blog Posts:
    Good investment indeed . I have 5 containers and a few packs scattered around . I found them on clearance in North Carolina for $1 last summer . These , Fatwood and Vaseline cotton balls are fool proof IMHO .

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    T. Pollock, MrFixIt, rsnurkle and 5 others like this.
  10. Haggis

Haggis Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have some of those stashed around my kits. They're so expensive I can't bear to light them,,, 25 UCO matches for $8 !!! I think I've only lit one or two, to see if they ready burn when wet,,,

I can get 3,000 lights out of a Bic Maxi for $1, but if I ever need to build a fire under water, I've got my wee box of UCO's at the ready,,,!

T. Pollock, 45jack, MrFixIt and 6 others like this.
  11. Primordial

Blog Posts:
    That stinks. They are about $3 for a box of 25 here.

T. Pollock, CHREBA, MrFixIt and 4 others like this.
  12. Badey

Badey Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    They are really great matches.

I did an experiment once where I lit a UCO Stormproof match, held it under water, dumped fatwood shavings on the water, and then used the match (which stayed lit while submerged) to light the fatwood shavings (I obviously had to pull it out of the water to light the shavings).

Any match that can stay lit while submerged for several seconds, and still have enough burn time left to light shavings that are floating on water is good enough for anyone's emergency fire kit.

LarryB, T. Pollock, MrFixIt and 7 others like this.
  13. rustystove2017

rustystove2017 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The UCO Titan's are like mini road flares- 12 fit into the TITAN case IIRC.

14. Cascadian

Cascadian Scout

Blog Posts:
    Tough to match.

15. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Tried to embed the video too, hmmm...

Nice, I like lifeboat matches, what I call them. Good stuff for sure.

Not sure I like bitchute though.

MrFixIt, rsnurkle, wingnuts and 4 others like this.
  16. Wyanokie

Wyanokie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Great matches, I've experimented with submerging them as well. Only advice I might have for someone who has never used them is to not hold them on the very bottom when striking, hold them up a bit towards the middle. One or two broke on me in the beginning, so I got used to holding them on the bottom and striking them softly enough to anticipate that they might break while experimenting. However in an emergency situation where my hands are numb, I'm tired and/or hypothermic, or otherwise impaired in some way, I would hold them towards the middle for safety so that I don't lose the top of the match.

MrFixIt, rsnurkle, wingnuts and 3 others like this.
  17. Todd1hd

Todd1hd Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Here's the link to the video, which is roughly 30 seconds long. I don't really like where Youtube is going, so I uploaded my video to Bitchute, but I am unable to embed the video here, which is disappointing.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/WtvN37DwwmcG/

What do you not like about Youtube?

18. sons of scotland

sons of scotland Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    myself and @Hiker41 on the forum did a day trip yesterday to wayne n.f. to get some woods time, when we got there i started working on some shavings to get a fire started. well we had 4 or five inches of snow on the ground that literally melted within a few hours with 60 degree weather we were having. after getting our wood prepped i tried starting the shavings with my fire steel after a few strikes i knew the shavings were just to damp to catch fire. if i worked on it harder or got some different prep i knew i could of got it lit but with limited time i did not want to mess around it. plan b... i pulled out my trusty uco match and lit the shavings up and they still just smoldered because of the dampness.

plan c... i got into my fire bag and got out some fat wood and made some small pencil sized fat wood sticks stacked them
    log cabin style and lit up another uco match and within seconds the fatwood caught fire, then threw on the rest of the prep and within minutes had a knee high fire. uco matches are in all my car kits and my packs, they have never let me down when i need a go to fire.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  19. Gumbi

Gumbi Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    In the past year, YouTube has changed their algorithms considerably. All the major channels have to use click-bait titles on their videos to get views. Subscribers aren't always notified when a channel produces more content. My biggest reason is that YouTube has been demonetizing and sometimes pulling the plug on channels and videos that don't fall in line with the liberal agendas (virtually every channel or video that showcases hunting, trapping, guns, or knives). Mcqbushcraft has had many of his hunting videos demonetized. Hickock45 had his channel completely shut down without warning several times.

I don't have many videos on YouTube myself and none of them are monetized, but don't want to continue to support a company that fickle. I want to diversify in case YouTube pulls the same kind of stunt that Photobucket did.

Ragman, DomC, MrFixIt and 4 others like this.
  20. Coryphene

Coryphene Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a UCO Stormproof match case as my last ditch effort for fire in my kit. First up is always ferro rod, then lighter, then matches. Matches last as they would get used up and end up being the most expensive of the 3. I also carry a stick of fatwood and the handle of my ferro rod is also fatwood.

CHREBA, MrFixIt, wingnuts and 2 others like this.
  21. Gumbi

Gumbi Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Good advice!
    I actually broke a match on the first attempt, but then on my second attempt, I supported the match head with my index finger when I struck it in the video.

DomC, MrFixIt, wingnuts and 1 other person like this.
  22. wingnuts

wingnuts Hunter/Gatherer Provider/Protector Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My
    Wally World was clearing them out not long ago for 2 bucks I grabbed 6 for kits and kids!

CHREBA, MrFixIt, rsnurkle and 2 others like this.
  23. wingnuts

Blog Posts:
    They are pretty impressive! Took me a while to find a suitable carry container but I now carry 6 in my kit. Kinda like mini road flares is an accurate description

DomC, MrFixIt, rsnurkle and 1 other person like this.
  24. wingnuts

Blog Posts:
    If you can’t get fire with a titan match you should stay home!!

MrFixIt, SoreFeet and Gumbi like this.
  25. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had bought a couple boxes of the Storm Proof matches. Daughter found them and burned them up while "just checking them out" I am going to get a few more boxes and lock them in the gun safe, along with a couple boxes of the Titans.

wingnuts, MrFixIt and Gumbi like this.
  26. CSM-101

CSM-101 Scout

Blog Posts:
    They are expensive, but if you're going to carry matches these are the way to go.

Gumbi, DomC, wingnuts and 1 other person like this.
  27. Mr. Chips

Mr. Chips Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Is the striker waterproof?
    I have discovered that in all the storm proof matches that I have tried, the strikers do not work if they are wet.
    USELESS
    A ferro rod and fatwood absolutely never fails.

LarryB, Gumbi, DomC and 3 others like this.
  28. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Prov 27:17 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I been waiting to get some to keep on hand thanks for sharing. Prov 27 : 17

DomC, wingnuts and MrFixIt like this.
  29. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    video runs .03 sec.

DomC and MrFixIt like this.
  30. Dave_Markowitz

Dave_Markowitz Scout

Blog Posts:
    The striker is not waterproof. However, each time I've bought a UCO match kit, it comes with a spare striker inside a plastic sleeve, inside the waterproof match case.

I tested the UCO matches by lighting one and dropping it into ~6" of snow. It melted its way down to the ground. It wasn't extinguished, just eventually burned out. I'm a fan.

Gumbi, DomC, CSM-101 and 1 other person like this.
  31. wingnuts

Blog Posts:
    No and while that is a fatal flaw, the work around is easy and more than worth the effort!

MrFixIt and Gumbi like this.
  32. CSM-101

CSM-101 Scout

Blog Posts:
    No, they're not, and that's the big flaw with the containers. One of the things I like about the Exotac match safes is there's a striker surface inside the body of the case, and it's replaceable. The XL is the best designed of the two they offer, it has a much larger striker surface than the standard Matchcap.

matchcap xl.jpg

I'm definitely guilty of always trying to stuff as much gear into any container / bag that I own, but I always leave out a match in every container I have to make room for a extra striker surface inside the case. Even with the cases of strike anywhere matches I put a small
    strip of sandpaper inside, as I think the modern strike anywhere matches aren't as good as they used to be.

33. Primordial

Blog Posts:
    Actually the UCO striker surface can survive multiple dunkings and it will still light a match. It won't survive a prolonged submersion though.

34. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    Excellent matches, but NOT TSA friendly. If they find them, you will lose them.

35. Mr. Chips

Mr. Chips Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I think the modern strike anywhere matches aren't as good as they used to be.

They are not anywhere close to as good as they used to be. Possibly too many lawyers involved in their production these days. It used to be possible to strike matches on rocks, blacktop, concrete and the seat of your pants. I have tried all these things recently with little success. Current strike anywhere matches are a cruel joke. They are not a reliable source of ignition. Ferro rods and Fatwood Forever is my motto!

Gumbi, MrFixIt and CSM-101 like this.
  36. Mr. Chips

Mr. Chips Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Pardon the rant here, but: There was a time, not so very long ago, when, (I know that those of you under 40 are going to have a hard time comprehending this), when matches were made by match makers, knives were made by knifemakers and so on. LAWYERS HAD NO PART IN IT!! And that was a good thing. I am more than a little tired of every little thing we do having to be regulated by someone worried about a lawsuit.

I really wish we had a few more judges (unlikely since they are mostly lawyers themselves), who would toss a lot of these dopey lawsuits into orbit, and basically tell those who file them to go and find honest work or at least real ambulances to chase.

It would be nice to find matches that work, and perfectly serviceable rifles with hammers without a pushbutton (!!) safety etc, and some activity that does not require a blasted helmet. I will wear a helmet without fail when riding a motorcycle, but I absolutely draw the line when riding a horse!

37. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Hahahaha! I see what you did there.:p

Gumbi and MrFixIt like this.
  38. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Someone on here demonstrated using a drinking straw cut to length with the striking surface glued to the inside of the straw. It fit inside the case after removing a few of the matches.
    I thought it was brilliant...

Gumbi and CSM-101 like this.
  39. rustystove2017

rustystove2017 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    it has been my experience that the NATO lifeboat matches are not NEARLY as good as the UCO- from the match striking- many breakages on the NATO matches- less on the UCO's. There is a little bit of a "delay" if you will from when you strike the UCO's until they get really going- that can be a good thing if you really have to choke up on the match. UCO strikers are robust as someone else has already pointed out- they handle moisture FAR better than the striker on the BCB NATO lifeboat match container- the White container with the black lettering. @IA Woodsman did a fairly comprehensive review on them IIRC.

Gumbi, Midwest.Bushlore and MrFixIt like this.