Uitwaaien Bushcraft Gathering - Sept. 21-24, 2017

Discussion in 'Sandcut Outdoors' started by Sandcut, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Updated in post 18...

Mark your calendars, boys and girls! This may just be the event of the year.

I met a guy a month back at a wilderness first aid class and we started chatting. He teaches survival skills and bushcraft type stuff in his region and we shared some small talk and exchanged cards. The next thing I know, I get an invite to offer classes at an event that he's organizing for the fall. So I take a look at the website for the event: http://pagathering.pawildernessskills.com/#process Holy crap! I'm going to be teaching along side some folks whose names are more recognizable than mine.

Art at PA Wilderness Skills is still in the organizational stage at this point, trying to arrange more vendors and instructors before it gets advertised heavily. I got the OK to start announcing it because I told him that I might be able to coax a few more vendors from various places to the event.

At the moment I'll be doing workshops on edible and medicinal plants on and off throughoit the weekend and possibly a few Hug a Tree and Survive classes, provided we have electrical supply. I may see what else I can piece together by then as well. I need to put my thinking toque on.

Check out the website above and the Facebook page https://m.facebook.com/bushcraftgathering/ to keep an eye on the event. If you are a vendor and would be interested in selling your wares, reach out to Art at the address on the site. He's a great guy from the little bit that I spoke with him. I believe he has an arrangement for vendors where he will reduce the vendor fees in exchange for putting on demonstrations as well.

Stay tuned here as well. I'll post up any new information that I come across as well.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    alukban, Pastor Chris, jls191 and 6 others like this.
  2. jls191

jls191 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    rsnurkle and Sandcut like this.
  3. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    This is apparently hot off the presses. I only have a few minutes to put this up over lunch, but I'm getting excited!

[YOUTUBE]spFTKf7A0sQ[/YOUTUBE]

4. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    From what I can see so far from emailing the organizer, this is shaping up to be a pretty serious event.

I need to put together a final schedule for what I'm offering and get it over to Art for placement on the program. At the moment it looks like I'll be offering workshops and lectures:

Edible/medicinal plant walk
    Hug a Tree and Survive (for kids)
    Basic plant identification
    Ticks and Tick-borne Diseases in PA

I may work in a program on rope making and basic knots. I may also throw in a scavenger hunt for kids.

I need to coordinate with Art to see what else is being offered.

rsnurkle likes this.
  5. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Hobbyist Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    That looks pretty cool.

6. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    Yes it do! I'm kinda curious to BS with Creek on the side to see what he's like off screen.

Unistat76, rsnurkle and Pastor Chris like this.
  7. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    Well we're close enough to the date that we're finalizing the schedule. This thing is gonna rock!! There's going to be fire making, spoon carving, net making, rope making, atlatl making (and throwing), cordage making, edible/medicinal plant ID, basic plant ID and a bunch of stuff I can't remember. I almost wish i wasn't teaching, as I'm scheduled opposite some stuff that I want to learn!

We also apparently have over 60 people signed up. It'll be a throng!! Almost like Woodstock, but not as smelly. :)

I do relieve that there's still time to register through PA Wilderness Skills website.

alukban and rsnurkle like this.
  8. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Great to hear about the good attendance, and looking forward to seeing the official schedule!

Sandcut likes this.
  9. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    Are you making the trip out from "Da Burgh"?

10. rsnurkle

Blog Posts:
    No guarantees yet, but have been strongly considering the trek since I first learned of the gathering!

Sandcut likes this.
  11. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    That would be completely groovy!

I'm getting really amped about this. This may just be one of the coolest events that I've seen around the state.

rsnurkle likes this.
  12. lone_woodsman

lone_woodsman Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Man, I'm really hoping I can attend this event. As long as work doesn't interfere I'll be there.

Sandcut and rsnurkle like this.
  13. Crooked Penguin

Crooked Penguin Scout

Blog Posts:
    What a lovely name for such an event. I don't really know how to translate it to English in just a single word but I'm kinda sad I can't join you guys now.

Enjoy!

14. rsnurkle

Blog Posts:
    @Sandcut do you know if the exact schedule of seminars will be released to the public in advance of the festival?

I saw the general schedule (below) on the facebook, and sent an email to the organizer's account asking about a more detailed one for that 9-5 period, but got an error that their inbox is full right now.
    20883075_295922874221486_769743065433753537_n.jpg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    Sandcut likes this.
  15. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure. I will pass along an email that the inbox is full, so yours will get through.

rsnurkle likes this.
  16. lone_woodsman

Blog Posts:
    I'm looking forward to attending both of your plant classes. See ya there brother.

Sandcut and rsnurkle like this.
  17. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    Likewise! I think there's going to be a few of us from BCUSA attending.

See you on Friday.

rsnurkle and lone_woodsman like this.
  18. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    OK, boys and girls. I finally had a chance to download some photos from the weekend's festivities.

First off, this weekend was an absolute BLAST!!! I have to admit, when I originally agreed to do this I was a little bit reluctant because I was worried that we may only get a handful of people attending. Well, it ends up that, excluding the folks that were allowed to walk in without registration on Saturday, we had 107 people in attendance (including instructors and vendors). We had a THRONG! We had people there from Florida, New Mexico, Maryland, NY, PA and North Carolina that I know of. A completely great bunch of people. I got to meet @lone_woodsman, as well as @gregory fox and his wife. All great people as well. (I need to watch myself. I'm starting to sound like Donald Trump. :) )

I didn't get a chance to stay for the survival competition and ending ceremony stuff today due to kid obligations, but Friday and Saturday were completely filled with teaching all day. I spent so much time teaching my own programs that I only got a chance to attend one program from one of the other instructors. But, I did get a chance to attend one of Creek Stewart's classes on making cordage. He had big piles of Basswood inner bark and was teaching how to do a reverse wrap cord. I know how to do that already, but never got a chance to use Basswood bark, which was pretty cool. It was also nice seeing how other folks instruct their courses. I didn't get any time to really hang out and talk to him informally, but I can say that he has a nice, relaxed manner when teaching and is an effective instructor. I kind of mentioned something like that to him at one point and I think I caught him off guard. I don't think he quite knew how to take the comment. LOL!

I was really surprised at the size of the groups that I had turn out for my programs. I taught one class of Basic Plant ID, where I introduced people to Newcomb's Wildflower Guide. Whenever I hear the question "What book should I buy?" that is the first thing that I recommend. I did three Edible/Medicinal plant classes. All had strong turnout. Although we filled the time with lots of cool plants, the area was kind of limited to the number of really useful plants because most of the dominants were exotic invasives. But, I tried to point out just how difficult foraging for calories really is depending on locale. Fortunately (for me at least) most of the folks attending had almost no prior experience, so even pointing out things like white clover and wild onions was new. I got to see Burdock, Asiatic Dayflower, Catnip and Great Lobelia for the first time as well. We just don't get those in my area.

The other two classes that I taught was Hug a Tree and Survive for kids, which had 6 kids in attendance and was well received. But the biggest surprise to me was the turnout for my Ticks and Tick-borne Diseases in PA lecture. I figured that I wouldn't get anybody there considering that it was listed as a 2 hour lecture with no skills. I think I had a dozen to start and then gained about 5 more as other classes finished up and people stuck with it the whole 2 hours, then stuck around for questions afterward. Even I get tired of hearing me blather after 2 hours. :)

The site where it was held was nice. Lots of space. We did almost run out of toilet paper. (Eeek!!!) I had my own stash if needed. The only negative all weekend was the damned heat. We were pushing 90 all weekend. Fortunately, there was a truck stop two miles down the road off the interstate, so I ran down yesterday morning and paid for a shower and it was the second best shower that I ever had.

Other instructors taught cordage making, two types of fire making, spoon carving, rabbit skinning and hide tanning, flint knapping, axe sharpening and I'm not sure what else. The folks attending really seemed to enjoy this a LOT! Hopefully, lone_woodsman will be along to share his photos and video at some point.

As of speaking to him yesterday, Art from PA Wilderness Skills, plans on having another Gathering again next year. I will definitely plan on attending. I think next year I'm going to add making rope. I think that it will complement the cordage making nicely. So I would recommend keeping an eye out for this next year and registering early.

Now for some photos.

DSC_0066.JPG

Asiatic Dayflower - Fever reducer and anti-inflammatory. First time I've seen this.

DSC_0067.JPG

Me on left and @lone_woodsman second from right.

DSC_0072.JPG

Primitive traps class by Steven Kinney

GreenFrog, Unistat76, Kdad and 4 others like this.
  19. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    DSC_0082.JPG

Students learning the importance of smell as a field indicator.

DSC_0099.JPG

Identifying Catnip in the wild.

DSC_0098.JPG

Comparing first year and second year growth of Burdock. We dug some up. It tasted like................wood. Which confirms Crocodile Dundee's statement, "You can live on it, but it tastes like $#it!" :)

GreenFrog, Kdad, Keyser Söze and 3 others like this.
  20. rsnurkle

Blog Posts:
    Excellent! :D

Sandcut likes this.
  21. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    Goofball!!! LOL!! You missed a good time, lady. Sorry you couldn't make it.

DSC_0076.JPG

This class, like every other, was amazed by my keen fashion sense.

DSC_0090.JPG

Me committing bushcraft heresy by using a knife to dig up vegetation. A wail went up across the camp that could be heard for miles.

Actually, my other complaint here is that we had a small field that held a respectable amount of good plants in flower for the Basic ID class. Wouldn't you know it, they mowed that area about 20 minutes before my class. Grrrr!

IMG_20170922_102354.jpg

Creek Stewart and friend helping people during one of his cordage classes.

GreenFrog, Unistat76, Kdad and 4 others like this.
  22. lone_woodsman

Blog Posts:
    IMG_2394.JPG IMG_2395.JPG IMG_2411.JPG IMG_2424.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    GreenFrog, Kdad, Keyser Söze and 3 others like this.
  23. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    Ho
    Hopefully you got my photogenic side.

lone_woodsman and rsnurkle like this.
  24. lone_woodsman

Blog Posts:
    A wise man once showed this book to me, so I had to get my own. IMG_0693.JPG

25. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    He must have been very wise, indeed!

:D

rsnurkle and lone_woodsman like this.
  26. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Did you just sport Home made Levi's short shorts and your October Fest boots and knee high socks?
    Looks like a good turnout for a outdoor class

rsnurkle, lone_woodsman and Sandcut like this.
  27. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    It was a heck of a good turnout! We had something like 110 turn out for the weekend. I taught 4 plant classes over the two days. Probably 40-50 people combined.

And don't they wear cutoff shorts in Narnia?

28. lone_woodsman

Blog Posts:
  29. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    Awesome! Thanks for recording that. I'm always too busy teaching to take photographs or video. You are now the official videographer to Sandcut Outdoors. :)

Hey, @lone_woodsman . Would you object if I linked to that and/or copied it for my web/Facebook page?

Oh, and one correction to that lecture. I mistakenly said calcium oxylate for the Japanese Knotweed, when I should have said oxalic acid.

lone_woodsman and Keyser Söze like this.
  30. GreenFrog

GreenFrog In the Forest Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    cool, was hoping to see a report. looked fun.

Sandcut likes this.
  31. lone_woodsman

Blog Posts:
    I thought I responded to this already, but yeah share away.

Sandcut likes this.
  32. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    Thanks!