1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultralight Spinning Reel, Rod, and Tackle Setups

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by Cinnamon Toph Crunch, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Cinnamon Toph Crunch

Cinnamon Toph Crunch Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am interested in ultralight fishing setups and wanted to know if anyone here has any experience with this concept? I am looking at the Pflueger President Micro spinning reel paired with a Eagle Claw TML76SF4 spinning pack rod. Would this be a good setup? Any advise on rod and reel setups, and tackle suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
    - Toph

Swineflu, Mitch Ray, pab1 and 4 others like this.
  2. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm interested as well. The one thing I know about the small spinning reels is that the line turns into a big pile of coils due to the small diameter.

pab1, alukban, Kdad and 2 others like this.
  3. WRHC TopGun

WRHC TopGun Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've use a St Croix Triumph 6'6" ultralight rod (2pc) with a Shimano Stradic CI4 1000 size reel spooled with 4# mono. It's served me well for several years and has handled everything from runt bluegills to 8# bass and about everything in between. I haven't had an issue with the line coiling off the spool either. I think that's a combination of a quality reel design, a proper line amount on the spool (not overspooled) and avoidance, to the extent possible, of line twist. I really try to avoid reeling against the drag.

Another favorite ultralight setup is a Chris Barclay 70P fly rod with a Hardy Featherweight reel. The 70P is a 4pc 4wt and I have a 406 DT floating 4wt line on the reel. The rod packs down very small and light and is perfect for hiking/packing into the backwoods. Have caught a bunch of fish on that combo this year and it's become my go to for almost all of my trout fishing and a majority of my panfishing.

pab1, alukban, Swampdog and 2 others like this.
  4. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I fish Shimano 1000 series reels as well. They're small, but still bigger than the micro. Those are about 500 series size. Super small spool.

pab1, alukban, Kdad and 2 others like this.
  5. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    90% of my fishing is ultralight on small mountain streams and lakes. I use a 4'8 Ugly stick with an Okuma Ceymar C-10 reel.
    I've never had a problem with my line coiling, but I make it a point to not buy cheap line, and change it out every season.
    My favorite "lures" for streams are maribou jigs, and ugly bug wet flies. They are also good, because they are legal for "fly only" streams.
    For lakes, small, gold or silver Panther Martin spinners, or Little Cleo spoons work dandy.
    IMG_20170813_181838_794.jpg
    IMG_20170816_080140_176.jpg

Bronco68, SmilinJoe, pab1 and 8 others like this.
  6. Yohawk

Yohawk Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I had (have) an Eagle Claw back pack rod that I've used for 20+ years paired with a Mitchell 308.....I suspect more out of nostalgia than anything else. It is not the most responsive rod, but it has been with me on more trips than I can remember. A few years back, I picked up a St Croix 5'6" Priemer 2 piece rod and it was a huge improvement. There wasn't much of a difference between the broken down lengths. Like TopGun, I paired it with a Stradic CI4 1000, but am using PowerPro 5 pound braid. The braid is tough stuff.....can't cut it with your teeth like mono! It's a great combination for me and I would buy the Stradic again. My brother has a Loomis rod with the same reel and I'm considering upgrading my rod as well. I don't know if it makes any differences, but I was taught to close the bail manually and take care to fill the spool properly. To date, no problems. I carry a small tackle box with some Mepps and Road Runners, and I'm good to go. Watch for Cabelas sales for good pricing.

SmilinJoe, pab1, alukban and 2 others like this.
  7. 1773

1773 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a small Pflueger presidential series reel and absolutely love it, mine is on a 2 piece, 5 foot graphite rod. I have no complaints at all with the reel and rod and if I lost it/broke it I would buy another one without hesitation.

pab1, WRHC TopGun and central joe like this.
  8. mikejd

mikejd Scout

Blog Posts:
    Cant speak for that rod as I am a rod builder so all mine are customs. But the president is probably the best bang for the buck when it comes to spinning reels. i have many and the president is top notch.

pab1, alukban, WRHC TopGun and 2 others like this.
  9. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ah, a fond subject for me. For years, I fished almost exclusively with ultralight rods. I've been chasing big smallmouth bass lately and using medium light to medium rods, but there is something special about the ultralight rods. I especially like my 6', one-piece Shimano Clarus when size is no issue, but much prefer my Shakespeare Micro Graphite (5 foot, 2 piece) for a pack rod. It is absolutely perfect for attaching to a pack and taking into the backcountry. Best thing is the cost at around $20 (available at Walmart). For reels, I like my 1000 series Shimano, but the Pflueger President Micro should be great as well. I have had my eye on one also. 2-4lb monofilament line is perfect.

What species are you after? I have some general suggestions, but can provide more info based on species. Small inline spinners like Panther Martin, Mepps, Rooster Tail, and Vibrax are all excellent. Perhaps some of the best multipurpose lures of all time and especially killer for trout. They are a must. I am also very fond of 1-2'' tubes on a 1/32 oz jighead 1.5-3'' grubs on 1 1/16oz jighead, and small feathered jigs tipped with Powerbait Power Wigglers. Those last 3 tricks will catch all kinds of warmwater freshwater fish for sure, and then some. Also try the 1/12 oz Kastmaster spoon, micro crankbaits like the Rebel Teeny Wee Craw, and the original Rapala in a sub 2'' size.

Here are some fish caught on my ultralight setups over the past couple years:

IMG_3493.jpg

20170902_200703019_iOS.jpg

20160619_072056.jpg

20160621_170452.jpg

20170429_210520378_iOS.jpg

20160529_121141.jpg

20160312_094745.jpg

20160624_102116.jpg

20160402_164738.jpg

10. Cinnamon Toph Crunch

Blog Posts:
    I really appreciate all the info, it sounds as though the pflueger would be enough reel to get me going.
    Birdman, I will be looking into these as well. I think for what I'm looking to do, these would be perfect!!

11. CoolBreeze135

Blog Posts:
    Where do you get jigs and flies like that?

pab1 and central joe like this.
  12. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    I get the ugly bug flies from a local fly shop. Maribou jigs can usually found in most tackle or sporting good shops. Usually in the salmon/steelhead section.

13. Wasp

Wasp Supreme Knotter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Depends on quality of line and how much (too much) you put on the reel, and how you put it on.

14. CoolBreeze135

Blog Posts:
    Yes! Good points. The way you put line on a spinning reel matters, as does the diameter and amount of line. Small spinning reels can be made reliable pretty easily.

pab1, central joe and Wasp like this.
  15. CoolBreeze135

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for them. What species do you mostly use them for and what kind of retrieve do you usually use?

pab1 and central joe like this.
  16. WRHC TopGun

WRHC TopGun Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I didn't include baits in my earlier post. My ultralight go-to baits are a small gold floating Rapala minnows, a simple white twister tail jig and a tiny Rebel craw. Add in some small in-line Repps or Panther Martin spinners and I'd be set for almost everything I like to catch.

pab1, central joe and CoolBreeze135 like this.
  17. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Inline spinners are awesome no matter what tackle or fish you're after. I'm a mepps fan but the Panther Martin spinners do seem to spin regardless of how fast you retrieve. I prefer the black body green blade but they are super hard to find in single packs.

Also you can get small jig headed minnows with swimming tails that work great. I've also used crappie jig heads and instead of tubes they sell small minnows in a bunch of colors and these work great and a whole package lasts a while.

Don't go to large with any of these on UL tackle.

pab1, Primordial and CoolBreeze135 like this.
  18. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    Trout.
    Cast up stream. Let them fall into a pocket or pool with a quick and short jigging motion. The deeper the water the larger and slower the action.
    Just experiment.
    I've also fished the same tackle but with a long maple branch as a pole a d about 15ft of line. Works pretty well on small streams.

19. Cinnamon Toph Crunch

Blog Posts:
    I went ahead and ordered an Ugly Stick 5ft 2 piece ultralight rod instead of a take down pack rod - I think that It should serve me well. In regards to the reel, I have been looking at Okuma and Shimano more in depth today. What would the advantage be in going with a 1000 series over a 500 series Shimano reel? I know that a few of you have suggested a 1000 series. I stumbled upon the Shimano Sienna RD reels and it is offered in a 1000 as well as 500. Any experience with this Reel? What brand of line would you recommend, and in what # test?

Bronco68, Yohawk and pab1 like this.
  20. CoolBreeze135

Blog Posts:
    The 500 is just smaller than the 1000. Main difference is spool size. 1000 should hold more line, 500 should be more compact. Either should work fine on a 5' ultralight. I don't have much of a preference for brand of line, but 4lb test mono is perfect for ultralight combos. Trilene line has always worked well for me, as has the cheap Bass Pro brand.

pab1 and Cinnamon Toph Crunch like this.
  21. PaPa K

PaPa K Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have 2 of the Sienna in the 1000 size for my ultra light rigs and have really enjoyed them. They typically get great reviews for the price point. Running one on a 5 ' ugly light fast rod and it is great. The other is on a little 4' ultra light graphite/carbon rod, can't remember the brand, but it is very sensitive. Enjoy, UL really makes it fun.

Cinnamon Toph Crunch and pab1 like this.
  22. Gavin

Gavin Scout

Blog Posts:
    IMG_1533.JPG My go to rod and reel is a shimano Sedona 500FD on a fenwick eagle gt 5'6" ultra light rod. I've caught everything from smallmouth bass up to musky with this combo.

Tor Helge, Swampdog, Yohawk and 4 others like this.
  23. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I'll never forget the look on my stepdads face when he got his new ultralight all put together and did a test cast in the living room, he whipped it like a heavier rod and the tip snapped right off and landed behind the tv.
    Bwahahaha

24. pab1

pab1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I have several Pflueger Presidents and they are very good reels. Their drag is smooth and handles runs well. I've caught trout up to 12 pounds on 4# test line using my Presidents. I see you've picked up a rod. If you enjoy ultra-light fishing you might look at Fenwick rods too. I have both their HMX and Eagle UL spinning rods and have been impressed with them.

Here are a few trout I caught using ultra-light rods and Pflueger President reels with 4# test line. All of them were caught on Blue Fox spinners.

Stored Pics From Z612 Camera 095.JPG Stored Pics From Z612 Camera 094.JPG Stored Pics From Z612 Camera 090.JPG Stored Pics From Z612 Camera 086.JPG Stored Pics From Z612 Camera 119.JPG Stored Pics From Z612 Camera 091.JPG

Gascozark, Wasp and Gavin like this.
  25. PaPa K

PaPa K Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Another vote for fenwicks, like my ugly sticks, but the fen wick has great feel. The others are my rough duty climb through the bushes rigs.

pab1 likes this.
  26. pab1

Blog Posts:
    I'm sure you know its important to make sure you load the reel correctly to avoid line twist in the first place. I think the lighter the line the more critical this is. The only time I've had issues with line twist is when I cranked the reel while either a fish was taking line out or when the drag was set too low for a heavy fish. You can see twisted line in at least one of my pics above due to one of these issues. I change my line often with UL setups. Whenever I catch a big fish on light line I change my line that night. I usually change line when I'm fishing areas with a lot of structure too.

27. cpshelb17

cpshelb17 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you are looking for high end setups, I would suggest paying a visit to TenkaraBum's other website, Finesse-fishing.com. The rods and reels are imported from Japan just like his tenkara rods and are of very high quality.

Usingmyrights and Hunt4lyf like this.
  28. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've been wanting something from him for a while now, I've got the Tenkara thing down and my ultralight roots are calling. Hopefully by next summer I can dive into that realm of fishing.

CoolBreeze135 likes this.
  29. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    Posted this in another thread, but fitting for this thread as well.
    Landed this 18.5" sea run cutthroat on my ultralight rig yesterday with 4lb mono.
    My wife using the same rig the previous day landed a 17".
    I've been quit pleased with my little setup.
    20170917_122317.jpg
    20170916_121853.jpg

Bronco68, Tor Helge, Swampdog and 5 others like this.
  30. woodsranger

woodsranger Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was looking at the Fenwick rods, and some are "moderate" action and some are "fast" action. Which would be best for ultralight lures? I prefer small Panther Martins, Rapalas, and Berkley trout worms. I'm thinking moderate would be safer for playing fish on a light line because the entire rod has more flex to it, so it would be a better shock absorber.

pab1 likes this.
  31. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    All my ultralight rigs are fast action. Perfect for small Jigs, wet flies, and small spinners.

pab1 likes this.
  32. Bronco68

Bronco68 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm in the 2 piece 5 ft Ugly Stick camp as well. I've been using it for the past 25 years paired with an old Shimano reel that I'm sue is no longer in inventory. It's caught quite a few Sierra trout using either a heavy for line weight cast master or a super duper. Otherwise I'll use helgramites I foraged along the shoreline on a Gamakatsu bait hook. It's a light rig, but more over it's sturdy and reliable. My 2 cents :14:

pab1 likes this.
  33. pab1

Blog Posts:
    Just like with fly rods I prefer the feel of moderate to slow actions.

34. FarmerJohn

FarmerJohn Scout

Blog Posts:
    Tenkara-Mini-Fly-Rod.jpg

Tenkara rod co has some nice real compact rods.

I have one its great. I usually have a 4wt fly rod and a tenkara.

pab1 likes this.