Unknown Axe clean up and customization

Discussion in 'Axe Mob' started by Hawk136439, May 15, 2018.

1. Hawk136439

Hawk136439 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Just wanted to share a little project I recently took on with some folks that might enjoy it. Or maybe you'll all hate it but oh well... This is my first axe "project" btw all I'v ever don to this point is keep em sharp and use the heck out of em.

I took a few minutes this week and tried to clean up an old axe I grabbed from my parents place. I actually found this axe stuck in a stump in a forest preserve maybe 15-20 years ago and took it home. It has looked like this since before I found it:
    [​IMG]

So I decided to take a torch to the handle and a wire wheel to the head so she looked like this:
    [​IMG]

Then I saw some painted handles online and wanted to give it a shot so now the ax looks like this:
    [​IMG]

My only question is what to do to protect the new paint job? I was thinking about a few applications of clear coat. Would linseed oil or bees wax discolor the paint? I plan on continuing to use this axe for years to come so I'm open to feedback and suggestions.

2. Sticks N' Stones

Sticks N' Stones Scout

Blog Posts:
    I unfortunately can't help you on the coating since I keep the handles natural look, but great work you did there!

Cedarfire and Hawk136439 like this.
  3. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looks great to me!

I dont think linseed oil would work over the paint, since it can't soak into the wood through it, it's liable to make a sticky mess on top of it.

Depending on what the paint is, it might protect itself fine. What did you use? :)

Cedarfire and Hawk136439 like this.
  4. Hawk136439

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! I originally planned on leaving the handle natural and burning in a design but this was more within my artistic ability. :18:

I consulted the great Google and it looks like linseed oil will actually soften the paint and make it easier to remove so I'm just going to throw clear coat at it and see how that goes.

Cedarfire and AK Adventurer like this.
  5. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That must be your lucky axe :)

If you oiled it with BLO first, the let that get plenty cured before you put the paint on, I think you'd have it made.

Keeping it out of the weather now, should help it last pretty well.

Cedarfire and AK Adventurer like this.
  6. Hawk136439

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about lucky but we sort of match at least:
    [​IMG]

I appreciate the suggestion of BLO but I already picked up some flat clear coat last night and plan on hitting the handle with it a few times tonight so hopefully tomorrow I can update with some finished photos!

7. Hawk136439

Blog Posts:
    Well half a dozen coats of flat clear and she's a runner! I decided to put the axe to the test last night and man this thing does some work! I almost forgot to take a before picture!

[​IMG]

and here's what was left after about 20 minutes:
    [​IMG]

The clear showed a little wear on the leading edge of the handle right below the head but that is to be expected. I'm thinking the next upgrade will be a leather protector for that area.

Does anyone have a suggestion where to source a small piece of leather for that? or what those leather wraps around the handle are even called?