US MILSURP Machete mod to bush knife?

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by 1911srule, Aug 12, 2018.

1. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    Has anyone cut down a machete to make a bush knife? I have an extra machete by Ontario and an itch to make one. Any pro's or cons I should be aware of? Please post photos if ya got 'em. Thanx

Was thinking of one like this;

2. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  3. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    Excellent! BTW primary purpose will be for shelter making. But much more useful imho cut to 12-13 inch blade. Also saw a Dave Canterbery video on modding the sheath to carry extras, attaching with bands from cut bicycle tire inner tube.

*edited to add- I'd like to apply a hollow ground grind to this. Thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  4. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I got one from Baronyx knives a while back, Ben will true up the edge and square up the spine for you for a minimal fee. That way your primary grinds are already established and you can concentrate on what else you want to do. I've hardly used it as IMHO 12" is more knife than machete. Tramontina has a 14".....maybe Condor too. Not absolutely sure on that one but they make a good product or you find them in stock.

5. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    I finally broke down and got one to see if I would like using it for my limited chopping tasks more than my little belt axe (I doubt it), and I intend to make it rather seax-y, with a low point, so I can chop all the way at the tip. And I get a usable point. Shorter, like 8 or 10" blade. I'll get to it soon.

6. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    And you definitely don't need any chopping tool to be hollow ground.

Hollow ground knives are so you can get a very fine edge that you definitely don't want for a machete.

7. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    In the video I linked above, his blade was hollow ground first half. Second left for chopping..

Winterhorse, Bobsdock and buckfynn like this.
  8. CSM1970

CSM1970 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I dont remember if OKC uses 1095 for machettes or 1070. Generally the lower the carbon content, the lower abrasion resisrance (The last two digits of the alloy number is the nominal carbon content), so a machette mod’ed to a knife would be ok for chopping but not so much for holding an edge. I have an OKC 12” machette and it is a great tool except for that clumsy D-handle.

9. tobiism

tobiism Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    1095 on the machetes

10. Old Husky

Old Husky Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I made a knife from a Tramontina latin machete, the pins are off because I used the existing holes. I thought it would pair well with a billhook I also rehandled but it was more useful as machete and the knife barely got used as I owned far superier similar ones already...

[​IMG]

Annoyingly there isn't a supplier of latin pattern Tramontinas left in the UK.. makes me regret it even more! but if you have a bunch of old machetes that have no value then go for it, it's a fun and easy step into creating new stuff.

11. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    So 1095 is a poor choice for a knife? OK that's the info I'm looking for, but too late I cut her down last night. So I'm already committed...

Just curious anyone know what steel is used in Marine KBars? I thought it was the same...

12. Old Husky

Old Husky Tracker

Blog Posts:
    1095 is a good steel and very poplar with USA made and branded knives, deffinately not a poor choice at all. The Kbar does indeed use 1095 steel as it can be tempered to be tough and easy to sharpen.

Interested to see what yours ends up like! :)

1911srule likes this.
  13. 62flint

62flint Scout

Blog Posts:
    1095 is NOT a poor choice for a knife! All of the modded Old Hickorys that you see here are 1095 as were Schrade Walden Old Timer knives. Looking at Ontario's specs, it looks like the machetes are heat treated just a bit softer than the OH butcher knives, but my files suggest both of the Ontario machetes I've sharpened were harder.

1911srule and Madwell like this.
  14. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    The profile looks just like the one in the video I posted above. I'm liking it so far. I think its much more useful like this than a machete for what I want.. camp knife/bush knife. I'm off for two weeks this fall to go camping in the Adirondacks, she'll get tested thoroughly. I found a leather insert to a USGI canvas cutlery kit, cutting it down to repurpose as a sheath. Using a grommet and some leather lace. Not fancy but it works...