USA made knives

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by BushcrafterAU, Oct 11, 2018.

1. BushcrafterAU

BushcrafterAU Master Tracker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    These days it seems that many once-reputable knife manufacturers are shifting (or have already shifted) there manufacturing overseas to places like China and Taiwan.
    There are still brands that have kept there production in the US, but they are becoming much more fewer and far between. Even brands like Buck Knives are now manufacturing many of their products in China! And while Leatherman tools are “Assembled” in the USA, many of the parts are produced in different countries (The pliar jaws for example).
    So what knife brands that you like are still entirely USA Made?

Madwell, JasonJ, Beach Hiker and 2 others like this.
  2. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    Probably most ALL of them carry a line of foreign-produced knives. But they also make real American made knives. Ontario, Ka-Bar, etc.

3. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Benchmade, Bark River, Zero Tolerance, ESEE, and Becker are some that I really like. Pretty much every product from them is USA made.

4. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Gossman Knives!

5. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Case, Buck, Benchmade, Spyderco, ZT, Ontario, Chris Reeve, have been the most notable USA made blades I've been in possession of.

Semi-Custom and or limited productions would be LT Wright, Lon Humphrey, Battlehorse Knives, SET, Ben Akin in no particular order. All are great IMO.

Plenty to choose from, but you get what you pay for. Cheers!

6. Top Gibson

Top Gibson Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Case, LT Wright, BHK, WCKnives

Beach Hiker and Bobsdock like this.
  7. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Still going Supporter

Blog Posts:
    ESEE
    USA made with USA sourced materials.
    Including hardware and sheaths.

Dusty Tom and mtngoat like this.
  8. azmike9

azmike9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bark River and ESEE are two the come to mind. You can't go wrong with either of them.

9. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker Traveller Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I wonder if it isn't an economic necessity for these companies.
    Entry level knife: make it cheap (but good). Eventually the buyer will "move up" to a better/nicer/more classic made in the US version.

Line Dawg likes this.
  10. CSM1970

CSM1970 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Watch for knockoffs.

11. PatrickKnight

PatrickKnight Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The man, the myth, the legend. They might not be as pretty as some others but I would argue there is no finer produced blade currently than one with the Gossman name on it.

Mr. Tettnanger likes this.
  12. mtngoat

mtngoat Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    ESEE Knives

13. RI Chevy

RI Chevy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Chris Reeve, Randall, AA Forge, Adventure Sworn

14. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Many Spyderco fans swear by the quality of Taichung (Taiwan) knives. One of my favorite Spyderco knives is a Phil Wilson Sprig made there. I like American made but I feel same about Taiwan as Japan or Sweden or Germany. China, well, not so much.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    PAcanis, DomC and Skeptiksks like this.
  15. Brommeland

Brommeland Scout

Blog Posts:
    Bark River - if they would make a knife with a handle that actually fits my hand. My ZT's excellent, as is my Benchmade. I've also got a great BHK Essiac.

Most of the American Made fixed blades that I've owned (Esee, TOPS, Kabar, Ontario) were flat grinds with coated blades. They just could not compete with a Fallkniven or Mora for sheer cutting performance, so I sold them all off...

For good but inexpensive folders that take a great edge (and hold it fairly well) both Buck and Kershaw's American made knives are great values.

16. Toytech

Toytech Scout

Blog Posts:
    Benchmade ! Ive got 5 and they all have fantastic , fit , finish , and materials . I think are top notch and have been proven very durable .

17. JC1

JC1 Guide

Blog Posts:
    IDK but I'm pretty sure Turley's are still made in the USA :4::dblthumb:

18. mtngunr

mtngunr Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am with the OP in that many "USA" made knives, including several listed by answering posters, are quite suspect as major components all made stateside.
    US COMMERCE DEPT requires more than 50% of components be made in the USA and assembled in the USA, for it to wear "made in USA".

There are VERY few outfits proudly advertising 100% USA made, and likely for a reason, folks. Sure, some companies might be tone deaf, but not ALL of them.

I very much dislike the basic dishonesty of companies who hide behind legal definitions, as it shows a complete willingness to do so in other ways, as well, if they can legally get away with it.

I admire fine craftsmanship from anywhere. However, no matter how fine the craftsmanship, I will do everything I can for my money to NOT go to governments hostile to my country, as my money will then be funding weapons used on my own people. Unfortunately, not many companies or Americans feel this way, and so we now face enemies as well equipped or better than us.

But, otherwise, I am not an American snob as for countries of origin. I DO think it a good idea to support American companies if their stuff is made properly and priced fairly, even if that means paying a bit more, as we DO have a higher standard of living here, which needs supporting, or otherwise, ALL our jobs can be done cheaper/faster elsewhere, and soon enough you will also be paying someone else to live for you, too. A big IF as to buying American, for me, is if what I want is even made stateside....if a knife I want is not made here, my money goes elsewhere.

Favorite quality USA made would be (will qualify with MOST as I do not keep up with some lower cost goods offered by anyone), Case, Reeve, Hinderer, Spartan, Esee (even though none owed), and too many other smaller operations to list....there are other larger, but, until individually looked into, and judgement good only for that moment, I trust most large American names about as far as I can throw their assembly areas plus equipment, such is corporate mentality these days.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Beach Hiker and americanstrat98 like this.