USAF Pilot Survival Kit Video

Discussion in '5col Survival Supply' started by andy.t, Oct 14, 2018.

1. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I made a quick video showing the contents of a USAF FI-273 Escape & Evasion Survival Kit. This is Part 1, showing the Survival module. Part 2 (Medical Module) will go up soon. I just enjoy getting these and checking out the contents, and I thought some of you guys might also be mildly interested.

2. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    The long-awaited sequel, in which we check out the Medical Module, is here:

morganbw, rsnurkle, hdbeav and 4 others like this.
  3. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Would these modules be items that are found in that USAF SKRAM bag?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    andy.t likes this.
  4. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I am not positive about this. Here is what I think. Anyone with a clue is welcome to chime in and tell us all what's what.

These two modules are carried by pilots with ejection seats, and I don't believe they have the SKRAM bags. Instead, they have a survival kit container built into their ejection seat. I asked an F-16 pilot I know if he has these, and if they're carried in a vest or in the seat. He says he doesn't have them in his suit, so they must be in the seat. I think these were originally designed to go in in a vest, but I don't think the pilots wear the vests anymore.

The SKRAM bags (or the latest equivalent) are in helicopters for sure. Maybe in larger aircraft that don't have ejection seats (like C-130s?). The guy I know who flew Chinooks said the requirement says the bags must be secured to the floor of the helicopter, but they never are because that space is always needed for people and cargo. Somewhere I read that the military is giving up on SKRAM bags altogether because they're so unlikely to be retrievable in an emergency (like a crash).

The pics and descriptions below are from a guy called hawkdriver on the US Militaria forum, and show what's in the SKRAM (or what was; I think there's a new generation of this stuff out. The foliage SKRAM bags starting showing up in surplus lots a while back).

SKRAM mounted to the ceiling of a helicopter:
    [​IMG]

Bag opened up:
    [​IMG]

First pocket, water purification tablets and water bladder
    [​IMG]

Second pocket, 550 cord, blanket, and crevat
    [​IMG]

Third pocket, food packet with light sticks between the pockets
    [​IMG]

The water packs under the pocket insert
    [​IMG]

A survival manual in what I believe to be the water bladder pocket

[​IMG]

The top/back of the SKRAM showing the stowed shoulder straps.
    [​IMG]

rsnurkle, hdbeav and Primordial like this.
  5. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Here's the SKRAM bag as finally produced. On the left is the insert, which goes inside the bag on the right. The bag has stowable shoulder straps so that it can be carried as a backpack, as well as a big PALS grid. Those are AR-mag pouches attached to the pack, but you'll notice there are no AR mag pouches on the pack pictured above. Maybe they only carry those in combat zones? Or maybe they ditched that plan altogether.

[​IMG]

6. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    A lot of different companies have a bag or pack similar to the SKRAM design as produced. Not sure if these were all developed at the same time as alternates for the SKRAM contract. First Spear's MTAP is similar, for instance, as is the TacMed Any Mission Pack (AMP). The AMP basically has the insert on the outside of the back, boosting overall capacity.

First Spear MTAP
    [​IMG]

TacMed AMP
    [​IMG]

7. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    The Air Warrior survival vest has a similar modular design to the air force pouches. I bought one of these on the surplus market a while back and made a super long, super boring post about it. The main idea is that there are two large compartments with insert panels; one is the survival panel and one is the medical panel. You can see those in this image:

[​IMG]

cek, rsnurkle, hdbeav and 1 other person like this.
  8. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Very cool photos and info @andy.t ! I appreciate your love and knowledge of survival kit systems!

I picked up a new unissued SKRAM bag for dirt cheap a couple of years back and it has been a rugged little day pack. I really enjoy using it in hot weather. Now that I know it takes that insert pouch set I'd like to try and find one some day.

100_1142.JPG

bradscout.jpg

100_1472.JPG

I add or subtract a couple of external pouched as needed and a Mora lite my fire pretty much lived attached it. It's nice pack. I never knew how the straps were used, or what they were for until you showed those pics of it attached inside of that chopper.

Thanks again for the info!

andy.t, cek, rsnurkle and 1 other person like this.
  9. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I think you could put one together one with an HPG Tarainsert. If I have time today I will set up a Tarainsert with some pouches I have on hand and my Umlindi, just to see how it goes.

rsnurkle and Primordial like this.