USPS delivery problems

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Desert Drifter, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I do quite a bit of online shopping for my family and myself. Sellers generally give a USPS tracking number and estimated delivery date so that you can tract your item. Recently when checking tracking I've seen " arriving late". I currently have 3 items in USPS and all three of them are "In transit, arriving late" one from a seller only 60 miles from me.

Anyone know what is going on? Having the same problem?

'drif

2. Intertribal

Intertribal Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Huh, somewhat similar ... bought a kelty pack on eBay. Seller appeared to have used FedEx (based on the tracking number) with a delivery date this past Monday ... at some point it was then transferred to USPS with posting about a 3 day delay ... no idea where it is now as I have no updated tracking number.

3. dads2vette

dads2vette Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've seen that with a more than half of my shipments for a few months. I'm wondering if they updated their notification systems. Tell you it's going to be there under a best case scenario then call it late when they don't meet that date. Even with their notifications of the shipment "arriving late" most have been delivered in 2 days the rest in 3 or in one case 4. I had notification tell me it was sitting in the Phoenix distribution center for 3 days then was delivered in Michigan the next day. That leads me to believe its either their scanning or notification system.

dave

4. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Nope, I only ever have problems with FedEx. Fortunately we have great luck with USPS as well as a great mail carrier.

That said anything run by the government is going to be lacking in efficiency and I know of plenty of folks who have issues with USPS. For use though they are like clockwork.

buckfynn, BradGad and Desert Drifter like this.
  5. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    That's called a drop shipment I believe. FedEx delivers it to your local post office distribution center, USPS does not update tracking from there. It's generally a very cheap forum of shipping and slowwwwww.

buckfynn and Desert Drifter like this.
  6. PAcanis

PAcanis Bushmaster Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I see that every once in a while.
    Especially anything coming through Phoenix. I'll watch a package pinball between two or three processing centers/post offices in different zip codes before shaking loose and making it out of AZ.

7. badglide9705

badglide9705 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I had two small packages coming from the same vendor, shipped the same day. One package arrived in two days and the other four. I got the same message on tracking "in transit, arriving late"

8. wvtracker14

wvtracker14 Guide Vendor Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Hardwoodsman

Blog Posts:
    Had the same thing happen Monday and once before but it had been awhile. Really a let down if your waiting on a tool or material and expect it on said date.

9. Rusticeddie

Rusticeddie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've had great luck with USPS. Not so with UPS ... who runs only about a 30% on time success rate. USPS (for me as least) runs about an 85% success rate and the only carrier I have that delivers before the scheduled arrival date. If I had a choice it would be USPS over anyone else. But with so many packages ... so many chances of error ... I actually think both USPS and UPS do a pretty good job all things told. Seems more to do with your local facilities rather than the carrier.

10. Logan Woods

Logan Woods Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm having the same problem right now

11. Desert Drifter

Blog Posts:
    I can understand a delay now and then. But 3 in one day. There must be a "glitch in the hitch" somewhere.

buckfynn likes this.
  12. Desert Drifter

Blog Posts:
    I just thought of something. I wonder if its is caused by the Boeing 737 groundings and summer air travel surge?

buckfynn and LazyPK like this.
  13. HannahT

HannahT Firebug Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've just had it happen a couple times. Once around Christmas (kind of understand that, since it would have been a crazy time for them) and then again a couple weeks ago with a shipment from Neolithics. When I finally got it, it was wrapped heavily in plastic wrap and had a note stuck on it that said "broken glass." Sure enough, when I picked up the box, all that obsidian sounded like broken glass :D They're generally pretty reliable for me.

14. Wendy Owens

Wendy Owens Scout

Blog Posts:
    I know all the flooding has affected some shipments in my area.

15. JoeJ

JoeJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Priority USPS mail arrives in 2 to 3 days 85% of the time - the rest of the time I also get that late delivery notice and that means 3 to 4 days later than expected. I've only had 1 problem the last 30 years with UPS and that was when someone stole an HP computer made and shipped from China a couple years ago while it was enroute. I've never considered purchasing HP anything since.

16. Athena Grey

Athena Grey Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Interesting. I have the opposite results, except when ordering from Sweden. UPS in Köln, Germany is a very backlogged hub and SwedenPost is reliable enough that it makes up for any delays in USPS stateside. Another thing that bugs me about USPS is they will not deliver a package to my front door. Apparently USPS drivers are allowed to be wimpy about long, rough driveways and having to back up. UPS drivers are professional about it and know how to back up!

And don’t get me going about Fed Ex. The “next door" neighbor (half a mile away) is named Greene and I am Grey. Fed Ex mixes up our parcels all the time.

17. graywolf51

graywolf51 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've had the same problem and also 3 times in the past month tracking said delivered yet I never received them. Fortunately the sellers gave me a refund.

18. fishiker

fishiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    USPS has modified their distribution system. For years every package I received came through the same hub unless it was local. Now I notice packages go through different areas and delivery may or may not be on schedule. I'm guessing they applied "government common sense engineering" to the reorganization :rolleyes:

19. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:
    You're right it's the smart tracker system they use to track mail. Sounds like people are just sucking at their jobs.

20. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:
    Either that or they've identified fraud and are trying to locate where exactly the problem is

21. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thats called "shipping innovations". Its a wonderful logistic creation that uses two carriers and takes about three times as long. Somehow its supposed to be cheaper. Midwayusa and others love it. Its the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. Especially since it usually travels to twice as many cities which means it has to cost a lot more fuel, sorting time, and belt time which means electricity.

I had a pack come that way and the box was crushed to smitherines and it took 1.5 weeks. It was the replacement pack as the first one took two days and only one carrier.

22. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Currently USPS is saying the Flooding is causing delays. That should only be in certain areas and generally only certain communities so far.

Most of my paracord is going all over the country over the past week and is taking two to three days tops. And its flooded like crazy around here.
    A few years ago USPS was averaging three to five days, but Amazon prime could make it in two. In 2016 around Christmas time even normal packages only took two days right up to Christmas Eve, it was like they were trying to set some kind of record. After that I noticed most packages seemed to ship in two to three days almost every time. I still get packages sent that fast most times in or out. Sometimes they hit a lull it seems though.

I mostly get frustrated when it gets to my town and then gets misshipped somewhere else "by accident" to another city or state causing a delay.
    About a month ago they completely lost a package of mine (incoming) for four days. After having them check on it and saying they didn't know it magically appeared back on tracking in the same city it was last seen in four days earlier. Maybe it fell off the belt, IDK?

23. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:
    We have contracts with all different postal services at work. We often get packages that weren't emptied out of the mail bags. Usually its clothes. We've had someones insulin come through. Was shipped a month prior. We just put them back in the bag, put our stuff in with it and send it back off.

24. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Well insulin is supposed to be refrigerated, so it was either no good or extremly shortened expire date. Or it had been a month and someone somewhere was dead. ;)

25. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    No, drop shipping is something different. Drop shipping is when a vendor, instead of maintaining their own stock, will have the manufacturer or their supplier ship directly to you without it ever being in the vendor's possession. To make an unlikely analogy, if you ordered a gallon of milk from your grocery store for home delivery and they had the dairy farm deliver it directly to you, that'd be a drop shipment.

What you're talking about is called "Fedex SmartPost", which is a misnomer if I've ever seen one. Fedex does the long-distance transportation then hands it off to the local PO for last-leg delivery to your door, supposed to be an economy option. It basically adds another day to the delivery time due to the handover. The program originally had all sorts of problems but now it works, it just sucks.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  26. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    In general I haven't had too many problems with USPS, lately or overall (no jinx). And we get a lot of packages.

We have had occasional batches of issues, most commonly mis-deliveries to another house in our neighborhood that has the same house number, different street name. Each time it turns out our regular mailman was on vacation and a substitute was working the route for a week or two. Hasn't happened in a while now.

But on the plus side, USPS really upped their electronic documentation system. Now when they scan a package at point of delivery, the scanner both takes GPS coordinates of the location and a 360° picture of the area. The SW / format is proprietary but your local PO can see exactly where on a map it was delivered then scroll and zoom around the pic to try to narrow down exactly where it was left. Modern technology...

27. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I’m seeing it too. Buy two things on ebay from different sellers, but similar shipping distance. One arrives yesterday and the other next month. Seeing the ‘arriving late’ more and more.

28. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Probably with the price of fuel they are having to be more creative in their delivery system.

29. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Amazon delivered a package recently with their own driver. They took a picture of it o my porch and sent me an email.

SoreFeet, buckfynn and Desert Drifter like this.
  30. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    I had a package from Europe supposedly circle over the Atlantic for nine days. The technical name for that is "Bald-face Lie."

I had a package coming from North Carolina to me east of Cleveland arrive by way of Olympia, Washington. Nice little city - ABOUT 5000 MILES OUT OF THE WAY!

31. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Amazon has a contract with the USPS that when the Amazon shipment comes in it is "Priority One" They have to stop what they are doing and get the Amazon shipments ready before everything else. At least that is what I have been told by several workers at the local PO.

And everyone still should be able to tract any of the mail innovations shipments whether it is UPS or FEDEX through the USPS tracking system. At least I always have been able to. Heck I use a Chinese tracking site that shows better tracking than the USPS does. I order blank fishing lures from China all the time. Usually they can get to my house in about 1.5 weeks. But I have had shipments from 50 miles away take 2 weeks.

32. mugsy

mugsy Guide

Blog Posts:
    weve had several packages arrive the day after being "delivered".
    the post office has financial troubles, yet my mail goes to the main hub here in albany ( 2miles from house) gets put on a truck and driven 10 miles away, put in a delivery vehicle and driven back 10 miles to house

33. ExAF1N1

ExAF1N1 Member of a small but fierce tribe. LB-42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I recently ordered 2 holsters off Amazon, same seller. One arrived today, one didn't. USPS.

34. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Doesn't matter if you can track it. It costs just as much for shipping as standard USPS ground does, which averages 3-4 days, and turns it to around 6-8 days.
    Then they send you packages that look like this (last week).
    20190606_220815.jpg 20190606_220846.jpg 20190606_220929.jpg 20190606_220952.jpg

Who do you go to to complain? UPS or USPS? Who's responsible?

And it took seven days. The first one was sent UPS and it got here in two.

35. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I understand that. But a few people said they can't track their shipments.

It averages an extra 2 days to deliver here. Thats why I check to make sure which service is used when I order stuff. I am usually not in a hurry for most items. So it does not matter.

Heck I have a package that is still in the USPS system that says it is still on its way from December of last year. But I have it. It was lost and I filed a missing package request. They delivered it about a week later all beat to hell. But according to them it is still out there somewhere. I even got a automated email from them that they were still looking for it. LOL!

36. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Oh I forgot. One of the places I worked at shipped out everyday by the semi loads. At least 4 every day. We mainly used UPS. They got a HUGE HUGE discount from UPS. I used our shipping dept all the time to ship rifles I had sold. It usually ran about $12 to ship a rifle to just about anywhere in the USA. If you went to the hub it was at least $35+. I even shipped a few pistols for about $20 for a overnight shipment.

Go ship a rifle at the USPS and tell me how much it cost. I did one time as that was what the guy wanted. It was a $4K target rifle with insurance. It cost almost $100 to ship it to him. It would have cost me $25 at the place I worked.

37. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    Obviously in different places of the country they have different things implemented, i.e. certain programs rolled out in limited (but expanding) areas, but amazon has been developing their own delivery service for some time.

The deal with the post office previously mentioned, at one point around here USPS was the primary carrier of amazon deliveries. They even had a special program where USPS would deliver amazon packages on Sunday even though they were otherwise closed and delivered nothing else, no mail, no packages from other vendors. I was flabbergasted to see USPS doing Sunday delivery.

But then amazon started doing their own deliveries. And it was terrible. Worst ever. Packages would never get delivered on time, and when there was a delay, half the time it was because the package got lost and they had to re-ship from scratch. Delivery drivers were exclusively in personal, unmarked vehicles. I quickly learned to dread seeing my amazon package with an AMZL (amazon logistics) tracking number.

It took them a year or two but, in my area at least, they finally got it worked out. There's still some personal vehicle use but most these days are marked. Packages arrive on time reliably, even though they've implemented free one-day prime shipping on many items. The deal with the PO is dead but they deliver on Sundays, the only carrier that does.

My wife got paranoid about a year ago and made me install one of those Ring doorbell security cameras. The main thing it's taught us is we could leave our front door unlocked if we wanted to and we'd have no trouble, nothing ever happens. But I do get nice little vid action clips of all the packages that get delivered. While USPS and others have dedicated handheld scanners, amazon apparently has an app for cell phones, delivery guys always take a pic of the package dropped by my front door.

And you know what else? For a long while there, amazon guys hustled. Fedex, UPS, USPS, LSO, DHL - those guys meandered up to my front door and back. Amazon guys? They RAN. Ran up to my door, dropped the package, ran back to their vehicle. It almost became comical, some guys would basically throw the package to my front door just by letting it go and having momentum do the rest. They stopped doing that recently but it was impressive while it lasted. That's a manager who had his people motivated, one way or another.

(BTW the past few years I average 100 - 150 orders from amazon per year, for context. That's 2 - 3 deliveries per week.)

38. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    I think the one time I shipped a rifle (actually a shotgun) USPS, about a year ago, it was around $50, maybe a little less. But it didn't have $4K insurance, either.

39. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    I had a package arrive last night, Thursday, to the distribution center 2 hours away. I had that happen a week ago, too.
    Any other time the package spends a few hours there, then is on its way to my local PO for delivery the following day.
    But in these cases, the package isn't scheduled for delivery the following day, it's scheduled to be delivered two days later, Saturday.

Last week I didn't get it when promised. It sat for a day, then ended up leaving the distribution center and returning the following day, which was confusing, then Sunday came, then it came up early Monday morning for delivery.
    So instead of receiving the package a day early I got it two days late.

All because why? They didn't want to put a small box on the truck coming up here when they had the chance? Because I would have been getting it earlier than promised? :33: Heaven forbid you do your job better than expected, lol.
    I would have rather seen it still in transit than sitting at the distribution center from Thursday to Monday.

So OK, I just looked and in this case, albeit late, the package is on its way up here.
    Not sure it will make it onto the local delivery truck in time, but at least it didn't spend a few days two hours away. And if I don't get it today I should get it tomorrow.

Maybe there was less stress when we didn't have access to tracking...

40. bigfoots

bigfoots Guide

Blog Posts:
    Flooding is delaying some packages in certain states depending on where your order is coming from.

buckfynn, Desert Drifter and Terasec like this.
  41. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    It's on the truck for delivery! :59:

See, that's all we want. Just don't leave our shtuf sitting around when you could be delivering it early :D

buckfynn, bigfoots and Desert Drifter like this.
  42. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    Wife was expecting a package on a particular day (Amazon prime order) and it didn't make it. she tracked it, it was delayed. 2 days later she tracked it again it was delivered to our local post office then sent out again but not to our house! it went to Pacific Grove! about 45-50 miles of us. From there it went to Santa Rosa! That darn package finally arrived at our place a week later! Wife was able to get a credit back from Amazon.

43. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    I had to buy something the other day, a new flex tool for my Dremel, and it was in Amazon Prime's new one day shipping. I got it the next day from UPS.
    Then I found out the new flex tools don't work with the old Dremels anymore, so I had to buy a new Dremel anyway :rolleyes:

buckfynn and kronin323 like this.
  44. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    usps mail parcels is more susceptible to such delays as majority of it is ground routed
    even if your area is not affected, chances are package is originally routed through an area that is
    UPS will air more of its parcels to hubs hence bypassing a lot of the problem areas

buckfynn and bigfoots like this.
  45. DixiePreparedness

DixiePreparedness Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    FEDEX is using USPS for final deliveries quite a bit.
    They just deliver to your PO and mailman finishes.

Both FedEx and UPS are soon going to 7 day delivery.
    Straight from the local office.

buckfynn likes this.
  46. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    Again, that's a special economy service called Fedex SmartPost. It's not something they do at their own discretion, it's a service chosen by the shipper to save money. And it sucks.

47. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    It sucks for sure.

buckfynn, kronin323 and Wasp like this.
  48. FreudianSlip

FreudianSlip Guide

Blog Posts:
    Packages delivered to me from USPS look like they have been through world war 3.

buckfynn, DixiePreparedness and Wasp like this.
  49. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I thought I read somewhere that you were a big fan of Mail Innovations. ;)

PAcanis likes this.
  50. PAcanis

Blog Posts:

Oh yeah.
    Me, Brownells, and their Edge membership using Mail Innovations are like this >
    <

:17:

buckfynn and Wasp like this.