USPS delivery problems

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Desert Drifter, Jun 6, 2019.

1. DixiePreparedness

DixiePreparedness Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Mine usually arrive having been run over by a forklift as few times as possible.

buckfynn likes this.
  2. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    How about this package I had coming UAPS ground? 12 days and tomorrow might be delivery at 13 days. Unbelievable. I have packages I mail out and every one is 2-3 days (usually).
    Screenshot_20190610-055111_Samsung Internet.jpg

buckfynn likes this.
  3. Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I purchased an item from a city just 60 miles south of me on June 3. Divided interstate highway connecting the two.

June 4: Departed that city and was in transit.

June 8. In transit Arriving late.

Here it is June 10. It didn't have to get on a plane, train or boat. Just put it on a truck. Good grief, I could have hiked there and back by now!

'drif

buckfynn and Wasp like this.
  4. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    My dad used to do construction for a property management company 20 miles away. When the job was finished he would hand deliver the statement, and a few days later when the check cleared their outgoing checks would automatically be mailed.

Now this is literally across the river. It would go to the local PO, then to the main po on little rock (AR), then on a truck to Dallas TX, back to the same main hub in Little Rock, to the North Little Rock PO, then local PO, then to my dads house. It would take three to six days every time.

It was an act of Congress to get the property management to hold the check for pick up but they finally did when they needed statements to close on a house and dad said, "I'll mail it". LOL
    That went on for almost a year before he started picking up checks though.

Like I said, my packages for paracord and such go Ground, and usually they get there in two to three, sometimes (rarely) four days. All the way across the country. Believe it or not California and other big cities usually get it faster. My incoming packages usually get here fast too, but sometimes its like..."hello, is there anybody in there"? I just don't get it. With modern logistics youd think they could figure out how to save some of the longer redundant stuff. Especially with all that big money tbey keep going up on all the packages.

I will admit, we have become a want it now society in the last few decades because it wasn't long ago everyone said, "please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery" and quite often that long. If I know how long its expected most times I don't really need it today or even next week, usually, so it wouldn't be a big deal. I just don't understand how one package can get all the way across the country in two days but it takes two weeks to get one from somewhere else? Or across the river routed out of state and back to the same facility for sorting. Crazy!

5. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Getting this on an order placed last week that *should* have been delivered on Saturday. It has been in this status since Saturday. It departed Omaha, NE at 12:59am on 6/6 and that is that last known scan point. Frustrating to say the least. Who knows if it will ever show up?
    upload_2019-6-10_11-51-59.png

buckfynn and Desert Drifter like this.
  6. icemancometh

icemancometh Stuck in Suburbia Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think the worst experiences I have had involve packages coming from the Denver area. The packages seem to get lost in some type of mail vortex. The tracking will show arrive/depart multiple times before it finally escapes. I googled USPS Denver and it was riddled with horror stories similar to what I experienced.

My substitute carrier did deliver my Esee PR4 to a house down the block. Took several days to track it down. My regular carrier found it laying on the porch of the wrong house and dropped it off. It was only a $100 knife.

I always sign up for text alerts so I can keep an eye on it and know when it should be delivered.

7. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Anybody use the new USPS service Informed Delivery? Not yet available in all areas but it's a pretty useful free service. With mail, you get daily email digests of what's being delivered, with image scans of most of the letters. But it's real value (to me, at least) is the package tracking.

I no longer need to get tracking numbers from vendors and input them into the tracking site. I login and get a dashboard that automatically has all the packages shipping to my address without me having to know the numbers or populate anything. I can see tracking details on each item. I can add nicknames to make it easier to track which package is what. And it sometimes allows delivery options like waiving signature required or holding at the PO.

Then I also automatically get txt messages of status. I get a txt when a label is created for my address, when an expected delivery date is set, if/when the expected delivery date is changed, when it's out for delivery, and when/where it's delivered.

All this messaging is optional, I can turn it on or off. Granted, it's not much help when they mis-ship your package all over the country, but it makes it easier to keep track of what's what while it happens...

That recent scam with the Velvicut saddle axe, it helped me figure out what was going on. They had given me a tracking number but it didn't show up in my informed delivery list, allowed me to figure out that they hadn't shipped to my address even though it was still in transit.

buckfynn, Desert Drifter and Wasp like this.
  8. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Ive thought about it but haven't been brave enough. :)

9. Jon Foster

Jon Foster Guide

Blog Posts:
    We avoid the USPS like the plague. They are never on time, their tracking never works and when it does it shows nothing but problems. And if they do make a delivery there are always issues. A month or two back we had a package coming via USPS (not by our choice). It was a fairly expensive package too. We were watching the tracking like a hawk. On our way into our shop one morning the tracking showed the package had been delivered. It was left with an individual... Our shop has never once been open at the time they say the delivery happened. We rush to the shop, getting there about 20 minutes after the delivery time... Nothing to be found anywhere around the building. So we start going door to door checking the other businesses to see if they had our package. Nothing. Now the panic sets in, someone made off with a crap load of money. So then we think, lets check the security footage. Guess what it showed? The carrier came to our front door, realized it was locked and left with the package. So we call the USPS to complain, but we need to submit a trouble ticket first. So we do it. Then a lady calls us back later to find out what the problem is. We tell her all the details and she says the package was delivered etc. The details they have in their system don't even match the details on their tracking page. We point that out and the lady will have nothing of it, period. She holds firm that it was delivered and they will not do anything about it. So I explain it to her several more times. The carrier is on video leaving with the package. She continued to refute any of the facts. And we actually get into a heated argument on the phone. The package was finally delivered later that day (late).

We have countless stories backed up with documentation showing how terrible the USPS is...

The USPS needs to shut down. When they do deliver items it's usually junk mail that we don't need, never asked for and it's from companies we'll never do business with.

Jon.

10. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have shipped a few flat rate boxes now with zero issue and a friend has shipped out over 1,000 knives with flat rate boxes and zero issues.

11. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I've never had a problem with something I've shipped, only stuff I've received.

12. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a feeling priority boxes end up not getting damaged as they are uniform and stackable.

I just received a box from Midway with 5 boxes of bullets, the order was shipped UPS and it barely made it to my door step in one piece. By the looks it was thrown around and smashed a few differnt times.

13. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I worked at UPS twenty years ago as a truck loader. Heavier boxes go on bottom and towards the rear, box3s aren't supposed to be thrown, kicked, stomped or stood on. They aren't supposed to be crammed, a good loader can fit them in the truck making "Walls" like stacking tetris blocks.
    The backpack box I just got and posted earlier was a UPS/USPS box.

14. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have had some issues, like most others. I have to say though that lately things have been working great. I shipped several things out last Saturday, and at least two were delivered on Monday, and it was a good distance away from here too.

15. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    No complaints about USPS or UPS (well, expect for the one brain-damaged guy at our local post office). FedEx though... FedEx sucks socks big time.

buckfynn likes this.
  16. spumwuzzle

spumwuzzle Scout

Blog Posts:
    A VERY accurate description of the process. All it’s missing are the sounds of the bells.

buckfynn likes this.
  17. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Just saw this on a USPS email about an incoming package.

"First Class Mail Recipients: First Class Mail does not offer point-to-point tracking. It is not uncommon to have 2-3 days between tracking updates."

I don't know when that started because I've sent plenty of packages first class and ground and they track at every change over. This must be a new thing.

So if they did do it, and they're scanning to determine sorting, why aren't they going to keep doing it?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  18. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It's funny that "First Class" is no longer the premium service. A legacy name that's now become a misnomer.

19. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I mentioned this in the quoted post:
    "First Class Mail Recipients: First Class Mail does not offer point-to-point tracking. It is not uncommon to have 2-3 days between tracking updates."

Apparently its a recent thing (less than two weeks), because I was getting scans multiple times a day, now I get one when it leaves or gets to a main hub in my state and the state its going to, and last a delivery notification saying delivered. I no longer get the "out for delivery" notification.

So that doesn't sound like a problem right? Well I've had several packages go from Missouri to South Dakota before heading back to Memphis and then to little rock. Or go from Ohio to Wisconsin and then down to Mississippi and then back up to little rock. I would get updates at each changeover, when it arrived, when and/or if it departed. Now I'm only getting main hubs and often not even that.

I have no idea when/if it gets stuck or lost somewhere, if there's a delay which several times there has been since they've done this, or how to tell the recipient when its getting there.

Whats more ridiculous, two years ago you paid by weight, so if you had a light padded envelope it might cost you $1.80 to ship it. But then they implemented a $3 minimum, plus weight charge no matter how light it is. That came with tracking at every location and usually got there in three days.

Now it might get there in three, might be five, no tracking updates. Still have to pay $3 plus weight.

If you upgrade to priority you still get step by step updates, but that's about $8. They want you to upgrade! But who wants to pay $8 for some paracord or a house key, or whatever? Nobody.
    Thing is, I know vendors are still getting place to place tracking for ground and first class because I have gotten packages I know were first class and got several updates a day.
    They are also still favoring Amazon and Walmart and similar companies with cheap shipping, but they're charging us for it with regular package fees and were getting less and less service at the same time. They have at least one upcharge or change a year.

Try getting them to look for a package and see how much they seem to care. Try getting paid for something you paid insurance on. It happens, but not often.

If they go under it'll be their own fault. Bad customer service, higher charges at every turn, and favoring corporations is not a good business model.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    buckfynn and blue333 like this.
  20. blue333

blue333 “O’l Slickboots” Supporter

Blog Posts:
    USPS is getting worse. Customer service has always been Shit*y!

icemancometh, buckfynn and Wasp like this.
  21. doulos

doulos Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Still true...

. usps5aa.jpg

22. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    I ordered 5 Whisperlite stoves from Amazon to be used in training Scout volunteers USPS dropped them off in a black plastic bag next to our rural mailbox on a lonely township road, 600 feet from our house. A rubber band held the bag shut - until it didn't. Some slug took three of the stoves. Amazon made it right, but that Postal Carrier was habitually dumping packages at the side of the road, sometimes in a water-filled ditch. He's gone, and the new guy is MUCH better.

buckfynn likes this.
  23. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Ebay, guaranteed delivery, easypost/parcel partners, shipping innovations, smartpost what could possibly go wrong as I sit here waiting for three packages that were supposed to be here 5 to 7 days ago. I wish ebay would require sellers to disclose those that use smartpost so I could avoid using them.

Recently I received a $5 coupon from ebay due to a late 'guaranteed delivery.' Clicking on a link in the original email redirects to three choices of what they will to compensate the buyer. One caveat, the coupon expires within a month.

USPS priority and first class are reliable in my area. UPS is a crap shoot. Regular FedEx is good. DHL is killer for items being shipped from abroad, 3 to 4 days from Finland, Sweden and Japan.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  24. ExAF1N1

ExAF1N1 Member of a small but fierce tribe. LB-42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Update, checked into it on Amazon, they had cancelled one of the of the two holsters and refunded me because there was only 1 in stock. Wasn't the post offices fault.

buckfynn likes this.
  25. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I wish Ebay would stop determining how much postage is and guaranteeing 2 day delivery. Dear Ebay, priority cost more than $5.37 and generally takes longer than 2 days to even go across the street.

Also, I would like estimated tax figured in my bid instead of after I win.
    Ebay: ;)"You won!"
    Me: :14:"Oh look, I got a decent deal"
    Ebay: :D"Total plus $11 tax."
    Me: :mad:"should have gone to the store instead."

:rolleyes:

blue333 and buckfynn like this.
  26. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Official USPS Delivery Status Notification.
    We officially lost your package!
    We still don’t know where it is but are comfortable calling it “lost.”
    If we find it, we will notify you. Otherwise, tough apples!

buckfynn likes this.
  27. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    "Its still in the USPS network (maybe). Your package may arrive late (or not at all, it is unclear at this point-shrug)".

buckfynn likes this.
  28. DixiePreparedness

Blog Posts:
    Fedex lost an order of mine this week.
    Well, not “lost”... just mis-delivered and MIA now.

Four Glock 17 magazines
    One Thousand rounds of 9mm
    (see any potential problems ??)

They came to house and the moron showed where he left the package.
    Front edge of porch, full view of busy road.

Natchez Shooters Supply replaced and I got new order today.
    Signature Required.

Last month my wife came home to a big box that fedex left in the driveway... 10’ from edge of road.
    Had to move it before she could pull in.

USPS and UPS doesn’t give me these problems.

buckfynn likes this.
  29. doulos

doulos Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was supposed to be delivered two packages Wednesday, both showed "Out for Delivery" on USPS tracking. I received one but a tracking notice on the second one that said "Animal Interference'! :eek:
    The mail pedestal is directly across the street from my house and my surveillance cameras recorded the delivery perfectly. I reviewed it very carefully. There were NO animals on this residential street, not even a wasp or bee!
    The next day the second package was delivered.

They do and say whatever they want and you really can't do anything about it. Filing a complaint does nothing. :2:

Wasp and buckfynn like this.
  30. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Ebay smartpost - the package was initially scheduled to be delivered today, Sat 13. Looking at the tracking earlier today it was now scheduled to be delivered on Wed.17. Five minutes ago I checked the tracking again and the package is scheduled to be delivered on Mon. 15, I won't hold my breath on it.

31. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    USPS has been great for me for years. Both shipping and receiving. I've never had anything lost or destroyed in transit. My preferred method of both shipping and receiving.

32. Scarywoody

Scarywoody Scout

Blog Posts:
    When I have an issue with a package through the USPS I email Megan.J.Brennan@usps.gov She is the Post Master General, include tracking and she has it tracked down. We pay her the big bucks, let her figure it out.

33. Juicin

Juicin Tracker Banned

Blog Posts:
    I have always had really good postal people private and public. And I live under a 100 miles from a major hub so that probably helps

But on the interwebz i see a lot more shady stuff coming through UPS and Fed Ex than I do USPS.

Never seen your local postman get caught on video throwing your package marked fragile

USPS gets way too much hate

AdamD1776 and buckfynn like this.
  34. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Well, I guess you just haven't experienced the issues with USPS. Twice I've had to speak to my postal carrier about it. Once he threw a package from four feet away over my porch rail that went another four feet and bounced off the door onto my porch. The other time it was a stand in on Sunday for Amazon.

Ive also had them stuff a backpack into my mailbox in a vinyl package. It tore the backpack, try to get someone to take back a backpack that USPS tore, or get USPS to pay for it.

What about honking from my driveway with the driver door ten feet from the porch, because they didn't want to walk over and put the package on the steps.

Threaten to mace my dog which was barking through a glass window well away from the door? Not even aggressively mind you. Of course, the UPS driver doesn't like my dog either, because he was "afraid I was going to turn her lose on him". For what I don't know?

My main issues are with their shipping quality, tracking, problem resolution, and prices. They've earned and continue to earn that reputation.

buckfynn likes this.
  35. Ol Grizz

Ol Grizz Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have had good luck with USPS (mostly) until this year when the long-time carrier retired. I think he truly ran the office. The new carrier(s) suck pond water. The "regular" one is nice enough but dumb as a post. The "relief" carrier routinely leaves my mail in the box of one of several neighbors. The local "postmistress" is completely incompetent so complaining doesn't help, not even in writing (not sure she can read). Since it's a low volume rural office, I keep hoping the Feds will close it to save money.

I have been on a first name basis with my UPS driver for years. Great guy who refuses to use UPS to post office delivery since he has to drive right past my house to get to the incompetent post office. Any time I can specify shipping method I always use UPS.

buckfynn likes this.
  36. Juicin

Juicin Tracker Banned

Blog Posts:
    dude my USPS guys are saints file a complaint what the heck? lol

they are much better compensated than private competitors.

buckfynn likes this.
  37. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Like ai said, my main issues are with the whole thing, the system, not an individual.

buckfynn likes this.
  38. Juicin

Juicin Tracker Banned

Blog Posts:
    IDK these sound like individual problems tho

They are very well compensated next to your UPS/Fed Ex guy

No one wants to lose that job

buckfynn likes this.
  39. Zaveral

Zaveral Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Yes, backing up is almost entirely forbidden in the Postal Service and the managers just sit in the office looking at the computer for a carrier backing up or doing a u turn or some other silly forbidden act.

Wasp likes this.
  40. sulaco

sulaco Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I refuse to use the postal service anymore. I'll still allow vendors to ship using it, but I won't use it for shipping anymore. They stole/lost an American Defense ACOG mount I was returning to Primary Arms worth about $80 not including shipping cost. It never got scanned in. Postal carrier picked it up here at my office and over two weeks later it's gone.

I could go on and on and on about problems I've had with shipping, receiving and local postal carriers. I'm done with them. Now anything of value we use a different shipping method or do without.

buckfynn likes this.
  41. Zaveral

Zaveral Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Ups and FedEx employees get paid more than postal workers.

Wasp likes this.
  42. DixiePreparedness

Blog Posts:

Same story here.
    Marion and Meridian are like Dallas & Fort Worth..... city limit lines only to separate them.

I mail a letter to Meridian from Marion and it goes from Marion to Meridian, then to Jackson “to get stamped/metered”, then Jackson back to Meridian for delivery.

DEFINITELY a Government run agency.

43. wallflash

wallflash Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

I sent a package via UPS from Dallas to a town in west TX. 260 miles away . It went from a Dallas satellite UPS office to the main terminal, put on a plane to Louisville, KY, took off the plane , stamped, put back on the plane back to the Dallas terminal, where it was put on a truck out to the town in west TX . 1950 miles to get to a town 260 miles away .

Not USPS, but UPS.

DixiePreparedness and Wasp like this.
  44. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Just think, somebody's getting paid big money to determine logistics!

wallflash likes this.
  45. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    \
    i have no way to compare, but USPS carriers have been caught dumping mail.

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/video-captures-postal-worker-dumping-mail-in-the-trash-745093187956

11/18/2017 This happened to us repeatedly (ONE TOWN OVER), MAIL ON THE STREET, MAIL IN THE DITCH. MAIL IN THE SNOW:
    "AURORA, Ohio -- A homeowner’s security camera caught an outrageous delivery from a US Mail truck, and that has sparked a FOX 8 I-Team investigation.

The video shows a mail carrier just carelessly throwing packages out of the truck onto the resident’s driveway. It happened Saturday in Aurora.

Was the mail carrier just being lazy? Avoiding going out in the rain? Thinking no one was watching?

Kevin Moore has cameras outside his house. He took a look back at the recording after finding packages left in the slop. The video shows a small box tossed from the truck. After a slight pause, a large box flies from the truck."

46. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I will say there are a lot of really good carriers and employees, I know quite a few myself.

47. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    WE ordered eggs ( live embryos ) misdelivered and 10 days late ,who knows what happened along the way and 4 of 24 were broken.
    The sellers are getting flakey too we order parts and tools and they ship something completely different . It is not just Ebay or amazon but private business as well . I miss brick and mortar stores.

AdamD1776 likes this.
  48. bigfoots

bigfoots Guide

Blog Posts:
    Years ago I was walking across one of the parking lots of the social security property in woodlawn MD and a guy in a USPS truck backed up to the woods at the edge of the lot and started tossing mail into the woods! Security got him but I don't know what happened after they because that security firm was crooked as a dogs hind leg!

49. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    We have one now. Does just fine. Former carrier got too heavy and was retired. Hooray!

buckfynn likes this.
  50. icemancometh

icemancometh Stuck in Suburbia Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Have a package coming from Smokey Mountain Knife Works which is about 4 hours from my house. Package was supposed to be delivered today but tracking shows it in Delaware then off to Philadelphia. Guess it will arrive someday.