Vacuum Slow Cooker

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by charlesmc2, Sep 15, 2018.

1. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Anyone have experience with one of the vacuum slow cookers? Two of the best are made in Japan by Tiger or Zojirushi. They consist of an outer vacuum insulation layer with a stainless insert which you heat on your stove. The food cooks slowly, like in a crock pot. I’ve never seen one but I think the concept goes back centuries. Heat food and then place in a box insulated by hay or shredded fabric or whatever.

Some models evidently substitute foam insulation for the vacuum. I could visualize starting your evening meal after morning deer hunt and allowing it to slow cook all afternoon. No electricity required.

Also would make a great ice chest for small quantities. I think they range in size from 3 or 4 quarts to 8 quarts. The heat loss would be through the lid so I think you could add conventional insulation to minimize that loss.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    BrandonJ, central joe and DavidJAFO like this.
  2. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't think vacuum , seeing heat creates pressure till the heat is removed.
    But I do understand pressure cookers, in which case I modified a stanley cup for a pressure cooker of a sort .
    It remains sealed after the heat is removed the lid acts as a safety valve . I made a seal using food grade silicone glue.
    I made a new wire spring retainer and store food in it ,in my EDC bag .
    DSCN4251.JPG
    Like most things , if you heat it slowly things don't boil over and the food cooks more throughly .
    As it cools the seal is established and yes it then does create a vacuum, like canning .
    Done right , the can is best, warmed to reduce the vacuum, and then opened and enjoyed.
    Don't tell no body I do this, I wouldn't want my secret to leak out.

central joe likes this.
  3. DKR

DKR Scout

Blog Posts:
    . High tech haybox cooking, Japanese style. I just use a wide-mouth, 1.5 QT Thermos vacuum flask pickeded up at Goodwill for $3.

Good luck. I have a Zojirushi beard machine and never had a lick of a problem. MY large (but narrow mouth) vacuum flask is also a Zojirushi. IOW quality stuff.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    charlesmc2, Dogrobber and central joe like this.
  4. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:

5. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Interesting, I had never heard of a haybox, but it's a very old concept, apparently.

6. DKR

DKR Scout

Blog Posts:
    marbleman likes this.
  7. pearl garcia

pearl garcia Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I have been wanting to try it. You bring the meal to a good boil and then let it sit in the thermal cooker / thermos for a few hours. Would be good for a power outage or just to save electricity/gas.

8. svh

svh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Beard machine ... Hehehe :)

9. rurik

rurik Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have something similar to this for my family https://www.amazon.com/Thermos-CC-4500P-Thermal-Cookware-Liters/dp/B000NZV95C

It is great, we cook a meal and hit the road. When we stop (sometime between 4-6 hours later) the kids grab their mess kits and we serve. Also great for picnics and gatherings.

The idea is probably as old as time it self. The oldest reference I have seen to them is in Juvenal The Satiers where he is commenting on a Poor Jewish family (hay box cooking is used for the sabbath) saying that they couldn’t afford the hay for the box. Clearly the idea was known commonly even then to have currency.

10. BrandonJ

BrandonJ Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    We have a Zojirushi, however, started using the Instant Pot a lot more. It can do pressure and slow cooking double walled, keeps stuff warm for just about ever. Pretty sweet little thing.

11. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    It looks like anything I'd use that for I could just do sous vide.

charlesmc2 likes this.
  12. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    It does come down to the same concept. The only advantage I can see for vacuum cooker is you would be unplugged from outside sources of heat.

Midwest.Bushlore likes this.