Vermont Bushcraft retirement

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by DCM, Aug 13, 2015.

1. DCM

DCM The more I know the less I understand Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Vermont Bushcraft retirement Updated 3-10-17

So this will be my Development in Progress thread for my Bushcraft retirement. A couple of years ago I started looking for land in Southern Vermont to be able to visit while still in my working years but also be able to potentially create a go-to-the-woods cabin in my later years as well.

I found a place about an hour and a half from where I live and I think will serve me well. Much of Vermont is very steep, mountainous by Eastern standards and rocky. The 10 acres I found are relatively flat and mostly dry which is not easy to find with accessibility. It's right on a paved state route. It's only 300 feet wide but goes back over 1400 feet so it allows plenty of buffer from the road if you choose. Lots of spruce, red pine, maples and birch trees.

The placement of a driveway and culverts are under way. Not cheap to do site work.

Here is a pic from early Spring from the road

[​IMG]

A month after closing in April on the land I contacted a local farmer and Excavation guy. A couple of months later he got started.

This was about a month ago when he started

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres his helper felling trees

[​IMG]

Here is Wayne and if you look close his bush dog watching over his shoulder

[​IMG]

This will be one of the camp/ shelter spots. I plan on having several throughout the property

[​IMG]

Looking down from above toward the road during the tree and brush burning

[​IMG]

I will be going up again shortly as there is more driveway going in. It will be right around 450 feet to start with more later as I can afford it. I will post more as it comes along.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  2. BushTramp

BushTramp Team Canada Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Fantastic!

3. Kurt992

Kurt992 Guide Lifetime Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Cool place. Looking forward to following this thread.

4. Pharmer

Pharmer Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

5. Bostoned

Bostoned Scout

Blog Posts:
    That is awesome! I am so jealous!

6. FIELDCRAFTLTC

FIELDCRAFTLTC Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    What a great piece of land! I too am in the market for a good chunk of land to call my own, and pass it down to my Grandson. I live in CT so I am looking close to here because of the need to keep an eye on the property. I am about 10 years from retiring for the second time. I retired from the Army and am looking forward to not having to work....at least for someone else.

I have my eye on a few properties. I am hoping to make the move in the next couple of years. Need to save up some $$ in order to make the down payment.

Thanks for sharing!
    Cheers.

7. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Outstanding I would love to come out and smudge the area. It's beautiful Brother Eric!

GreenFrog likes this.
  8. B33J

B33J Liberty or Death Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Awesome thread! I am subscribing to this one. Thanks for sharing, looking forward to the progress

9. XMP

XMP Mountain Man

Blog Posts:
    It's great to find "your place". I'll enjoy watching yours take shape.

10. the_dude

the_dude Guide

Blog Posts:
    very nice. i love southern vermont, and wouldn't mind retiring there some day.

GreenFrog likes this.
  11. Jonah L. Archer

Jonah L. Archer Guide Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Very happy for you. I look forward to watching it take shape.

12. swamperdog

swamperdog Scout

Blog Posts:
    A little slice of heaven. Congrats!

13. Dadio

Dadio Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Really looking forward to your future posts! As a guy who just put in 1/8th of a mile of road through the woods, I feel your pain on expensive dirt work but the access is certainly worth it. Congratulations!

14. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's great. Putting in the road is a wise investment. I would put a locked gate on it.

gila_dog likes this.
  15. Izzy

Izzy Deceased.

Blog Posts:
    This will help you with illegal dumping, which is also costly to have remove.

gila_dog likes this.
  16. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Awesome stuff, congrats! Look forward to following along with everyone else on the progress.

17. IAOutdoors

IAOutdoors Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice looking property DCM. Will be cool to see the progress build. Every mans dream that enjoys the outdoors. Congrats!

18. mortonm

mortonm Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Will be heading to Vermont for the first time in October I think. Looking forward to it and this thread!

19. blackhawkhunter

blackhawkhunter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Cool. Let me know your AO and if you need electrical help.

20. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Congrats........It can be a long road...but very rewarding when you actually "get there".
    Will be watching.

Grizzly Dave likes this.
  21. DCM

Blog Posts:
    Driveway mostly completed

Went up yesterday as the contractor said he was finished and went up to check it out and pay him for the services. He just needs to come in a roller flatten and it will be complete. Here is a shot from the start of the driveway.

[​IMG]

Here is a shot taken looking back at from where the previous pic was taken.

[​IMG]

These are a couple of shots about halfway up the driveway and showing some of the trees I had them leave from the clearing that I will use with a portable sawmill to help build my cabin/shelter.

Up around the bend is where I will be most likely building.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is taken from about 50 feet beyond where the driveway ends looking back. It is about 500 feet from the road. There are 900 more feet of property behind me before the lot ends.

There are several rock walls that run through the property for quite awhile that do not correlate to any of the boundaries.

[​IMG]

The spot I would like to build a bigger cabin on in the future is about 250 to 300 feet farther up the lot but the reality is that the clearing and additional road/driveway expense doesn't make it practical for now. This amount of driveway with the road culvert and smaller driveway culvert 2/3 the way up has cost 12,500.00 so far.

The cabin/shelter site I will show in the next few pics will remain when the next phase goes in later as I do want more than one site on the property.

So as I turn 90 degrees to my left from where I took my last photo this is where The cabin/shelter will most likely go here. Just beyond the rock wall. Many of the rocks will be used for many purposes as you can imagine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have been going back and forth on what type of shelter to build. I have a 14' x16' cabin tent and stove that I will be using temporarily. The first structure I will be building is a 3 sided Adirondack style lean to that will be closed with a door and window on the 4th side at some point. I plan to make it the same footprint size as my tent.

I have a particular technique I will be using on this project that I have not yet seen anyone else use that I can find. It is a technique that I thought of over 28 years ago and have been wanting to try. Most likely someone has but I haven't found it yet on the web and Al Gore had not invented the internet when I was still in Co (tongue in cheek sarcasm with no political slant intended). I had a cabin tent (16' x 32' surplus army squad tent) on 5 acres above Crested Butte Co (Irwin Basin) back in the late 80's. I would have pursued that back then but life circumstances brought me out here in '91. I will be documenting and video recording the process as the project unfolds.

Electrical services, well drilling and septic requirements are too much cost for me right now as those 3 alone would as much as 50 to 60k more not to mention the considerable additional tax burden. I will be keeping this classified as a primitive camp by Vermont's standards. Retirement these days is a relative term, but this will be my go to sanctuary and place of respite until I can move here in my "full" retirement years are here in my later 70's to hopefully 90's.

I will be researching cistern and rain/moisture collection. I want to remain completely off the grid and not half to rely on any power source more than possible photovoltaic so electric well pumps are staying out of the equation as mentioned above. There is a lot of natural water and run off around there so it shouldn't be too hard. Time will tell.

I will also be digging for an outhouse and/or composting toilet.

Next phases are site preparation, lumber milling and frame construction, so stay tuned and thanks for looking.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  22. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Been a while since we talked on the phone,,,,,,thanks for sharing the dream....and showing us how it is done!!

23. The Warrior

The Warrior Architect of Fire Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Awesome stuff man. Looking forward to more updates. I'm heading to northern Vermont tomorrow. Been a few years since I've been there. Love that place.

24. Bennington.Camper

Bennington.Camper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I moved to Southern VT 2 years ago and am still learning my way around. You are right about the mountains and finding a level location! Best of luck!

25. DCM

Blog Posts:
    So I paid off the land and the driveway install to this point and am getting ready for the next step. I lucked out with the strict septic laws in Vermont as my desired location on my lot does not require any above ground mound engineering. 95% plus of the time you need to do so in the hills, where my acreage is located. Only about 5% of my lot has the desired soil and it happens to be just below where my desired cabin site will be. The bushcraft deities are smiling upon me. I will still be putting in an outhouse(s) but since the septic can go in as such it will save me about 70 to 80% less and I feel it's well worth the investment. I will be using a Travel Trailer and canvas cabin tent in the mean time.

Here is the engineer taking soil samples from a couple of the perc test pits.

IMG_2488.JPG IMG_2490.JPG

Here is the pic of the rig moving from pit to pit

IMG_2489.JPG

More clearing and placement of the piers for the deck / eventual cabin floor/foundation over the next couple of weeks.

Drilling a well most likely next Spring/Summer.

Plan to stay off grid electrically for now. It's close to 800 feet from the road and there is no shared cost by the power company to run the lines. Between solar and small generator won't need it anyway.

26. DCM

Blog Posts:
    Just had the next considerable phase in the site development last Friday. The property is 1400 some feet deep and the first 450ish was done previously. The next 300 feet is being done now with a cabin site clearing with crushed stone pad going down for the structure to sit on.

IMG_2642.JPG IMG_2644.JPG IMG_2645.JPG IMG_2646.JPG IMG_2648.JPG

CONTINUED

27. DCM

Blog Posts:
  28. DCM

Blog Posts:
    IMG_2661.JPG IMG_2662.JPG

I have some short clips of trees being felled I will post soon.

29. DCM

Blog Posts:
    So the next couple of phases have transpired. More clearing and road work done. My in ground non-engineered septic was approved and filed with the town and state, huge relief as it will cost me 1/3 to 1/5 of the usual cost.

Bought a cottage kit from Jamaica Cottage shop in Jamaica Vermont and it was delivered. Had a great sale beginning of the year for 1/2 off. 16x24. It will have a porch added on to it.

IMG_2762.JPG

http://jamaicacottageshop.com/shop/vermont-cottage-b/

I still plan on doing a log home over time but this will be of great use along with my 14x16 outfitters tent fro Davis Tent until then.

https://www.davistent.com/glamping/

I also bought and picked up a portable band saw mill in November for doing the log home and out buildings starting this year. Bought the entry level one but should be all I need for what I plan to do.

https://woodmizer.com/Store/Shop/Portable-Sawmills/LT10-Portable-Sawmill

IMG_2784.JPG

CONT'D

30. DCM

Blog Posts:
  31. DCM

Blog Posts:
  32. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    @DCM Thanks for the updates. Like to come out some time , when my health is better to take a look. Thumbs Up.

DCM likes this.
  33. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Plans and progress.....good to see :dblthumb:

DCM likes this.
  34. Skab

Skab Staff Staff Member Administrator Vendor Lifetime Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Looking good

DCM likes this.
  35. AlexD

AlexD Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just saw this thread. Exciting progress, thanks for the updates. I'd like to follow the same basic plan one day.

DCM likes this.
  36. Roughneck75

Roughneck75 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Your spot on Brother! Nice work! I'm interested in the engineering details of your driveway. If you wouldn't mind, width, depth/size of base rock and stone finish. Thanks for sharing and keeping us updated.

DCM likes this.
  37. DCM

Blog Posts:
    Driveway is 10 feet wide first half (450 feet) synthetic/rubber membrane with 12 to 18 inches process/sand/gravel. Upper half about 270 feet mostly river rock about 4 to 6 inches thick/sand/dirt as the soil is far more stable and compact to start with. Cottage pad will be 8 to 12 inches of the same which there will be solid concrete blocks configured like piers on which the PT treated timbers from the flooring base will set on bringing the cottage off the ground with air flow underneath approximately 12 to 16 inches. Plans also include 6' x 8' shed for outhouse with changing room that will most likely contain a composting toilet for the tent and RV campers that come to visit. Going to bring up a 8' x 40' shipping container for equipment and tool storage for more security when I am not there.

38. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Dirt Merchant Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I'll be seeing this place first hand asap!

39. DCM

Blog Posts:
    Looking forward to having you here brother!

Guy and 556mp like this.
  40. foxfire

foxfire Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looking good brother! Will have to venture that way to see you one of these days!!

Guy and DCM like this.
  41. DCM

Blog Posts:
    Would love to have you as guest. Anytime, just let me know.

Guy likes this.
  42. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Wow! What a project. That nice driveway is a good investment. And maybe you could use one of the perc test pits for your outhouse. Do you know what to expect for a water well?

DCM likes this.
  43. DCM

Blog Posts:
    I am using one of the perc test pits for the outhouse, though I am contemplating going the composting route. Well will most likely be a 5k to 7k expenditure from what I have been told. There is a hand dug along the main drainage path next to the driveway that I am most likely going to create a small pond with as the topography for it is really amenable for it.

IAOutdoors likes this.
  44. TJC44

TJC44 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    DCM, I just found your thread. Good luck on the project. Looking forward to watching your progress. BTW, I'm in the same area, near BDL.
    TJC

DCM likes this.
  45. jester617

jester617 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    DCM, How do you like the Jamaica Cottage? I'm looking at land now in Madison NH & Porter ME. area and want one of thier cottages. Did you put the PCK together yourself or have a builder do it? Your impressions?

Thanks in advance.

John

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  46. DCM

Blog Posts:
    I went with a kit, you can't haul over the road more than 14' wide. Mine is 16x24. Haven't broken apart the kit yet to put it together so truly hard to say as of yet. My kit has doubled in price since the sale I bought it on. He said it was the second time they had this type of sale before and am glad I saw it when I did. Their popularity and demand would overall indicate to me a very reasonable product and will find out come May when I start putting it together.

47. chiefcrunchy

chiefcrunchy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I recently had a problem with illegal dumping on our property, the gate helped a lot.

48. Goedwig Grwdrwyr

Goedwig Grwdrwyr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That's awesome!!! Looking good

DCM likes this.
  49. DCM

Blog Posts:
    This time of year "Summer" is crazy busy time for me and posting pics on here is too time consuming, If you are interested in following the progress I just started instagram posting:

https://www.instagram.com/doggiecareman/

Pharmer likes this.
  50. Grizzly Dave

Grizzly Dave Scout

Blog Posts:
    looks like it might be home one day

DCM likes this.