Very cheap blade

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Gary V, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Gary V

Gary V Scout

Blog Posts:
    The Mossy Oak Bowie knife comes with a leather sheath, full tang 420B (3CR13) SS blade, brass guard and pummel and riveted wooden scales. It has pretty much all the features of a quality blade but the handle does not have an ergonomic feel to it. It feels small and square(ish) in your hand. I'm at a loss for the technical term for that. I don't think the blade will hold up like a more expensive knife and never expected it would. This is a very large knife at 14" long and not something you are likely to use for an EDC anyway and for $19.99 at WalMart or Amazon I think it's actually a good value for what you get. So if you don't mind owning a knife that was made by people who work all day for a bowl of rice then this is not a bad deal for you.

Edit 10/4:
    Yesterday I wrapped the handle in paracord which was a 100% improvememt. It's now the right size and comfort for my hand. Nice.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    45jack, WY_Not and MrFixIt like this.
  2. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    I saw these after last Christmas.. think they went on clearance for about $14.99 or so. I told myself that if it got down to 10-12 bucks I'd buy one.

Still want one just to play with and beat on. 3Cr13 is meh steel, but rather tough. Won't hold an edge for long, but is cray easy to sharpen to a shaving edge. Better than 420J2, but not as good as 420HC. It'll do, for a beater stainless blade.

I wonder about that handle, if you took some sandpaper to it and rounded the squared off edges if it'd be better to hold.

I was surprised when I looked at these that they are in fact, full tang all the way through and all the way high. At least since they're using cheap steel, they give you a huge honking bar of it!

A good budget bowie, if for nothing more than playing around and testing out the format and blade shape. It'd be sweet as sugar to have one with a nicer shaped handle in a carbon steel that will age and patina nicely... say 5160 or 1085.

Gary V and 45jack like this.
  3. Gary V

Gary V Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yes, it is what it is - a cheap blade. I wouldn't baton with it or try prying with the point because this steel will bend pretty easily. And yes, the nice thing about a blade that dulls easily is that it is also easy to sharpen or repair. From what I understand WalMart has had them on sale for low as $12.