Very Mini Kit

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by Toddg, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Toddg

Toddg Bushsquirrel Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This kit cuts things downs to the real basics; fire and water. For me fire is key, it provides warmth, signals rescue and keeps the boogeyman at a distance, so I tripled up on it. A small disposable lighter, a fire steel with attached magnesium and some artificial tinder. There will be fire, even in the wet. And I still have room for water purification and a couple of goodies.

For water I decided on a method that a friend of mine showed me. I got a hold of small dropper bottles that used to contain breath freshener. Cleaned up they make an awesome container for household bleach. 2 drops per liter and you have potable water in 30 min. No fuss, no muss, no bother. I have not done the math yet but I figure that I could get a couple of easy gallons from the little dropper bottles.

To the fire and water I added a very small compass, and just in case, and because it fit and a p38 can opener, why tear up your knife when making a cup for your bush tea out of a discarded soup/beer can?

All this fits in a little plastic case the size and shape of a pill bottle. I wrapped the bottle in 3 feet of duct tape, because well, you don’t really need to explain duct tape. There is no excuse not to keep in on your person. Its light and you don’t need much in the way of training to use any or it! I find that dropping this in my pocket has become second nature.
    Let me know your thoughts!
    2013-08-11 at 12.48.47.jpg 2013-12-27 at 14.41.10.jpg

2. VtBlackDog

VtBlackDog Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Pretty cool project....does bleach have a shelf life?

bacpacjac, Toddg, Beach Hiker and 4 others like this.
  3. Toddg

Blog Posts:
    I don't "think" so but I refresh every spring anyway

4. Bobsdock

Bobsdock So long, and thanks for all the fish Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure that household bleach is what you want to treat water with brother.

Edit: bleach will not kill Giardiasis

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    bacpacjac, Toddg, Beach Hiker and 3 others like this.
  5. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    might also look into Aquatabs- cheap, very effective, very light (a couple grams for ten tablets- enough to treat 20 liters of water) and very compact

colter, DavidJAFO, bacpacjac and 5 others like this.
  6. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    @Pict has a simple home made water filter. I forgot his youtube name.

7. Toddg

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    bacpacjac, Bobsdock and freebirdfb like this.
  8. Gii shi kan dug

Gii shi kan dug Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have read somewhere that bleach does have a shelf life after opening. Will look for a link

9. icemancometh

icemancometh Stuck in Suburbia Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bleach starts to loose its potency after about 6 months I believe.

From the Clorox page:

The active ingredient in bleach, sodium hypochlorite, naturally breaks down into salt and water. The rate of breakdown increases rapidly when bleach is stored in extreme hot or freezing temperatures, or when a bottle is more than one year old. Generally, bleach stored at room temperature (~70°F) has a shelf life of one year, but after that point it should be replaced.

Since you don’t remember when you bought your bleach, and it has no bleach smell, it is definitely quite old. The missing bleach smell indicates that most of the active ingredients have converted to salt and water. You are right, it won’t function much as bleach anymore. To dispose of it, I would add it to your toilet bowl and then flush—any small amount of sodium hypochlorite active that may remain will finish breaking down as it travels through your home’s pipes and out to the sewer. You can find many different ways to use it at

Read more at https://www.clorox.com/how-to/laundry-basics/product-usage-guides/shelf-life/

10. JerseyDevilJeeper

JerseyDevilJeeper Professional Guide Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Some water purification tabs can store under a strip or final layer of duck tape- great lil kit

11. Toddg

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! I probably should have just done that :)

12. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Scout

Blog Posts:
    "Colhane"

DavidJAFO, Bobsdock and freebirdfb like this.
  13. ParadigmShift

ParadigmShift Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've skipped using liquid bleach and switched to powdered equivalents. Longer shelf life, equally portable; basically the powdered component to the water purification (pressed) tablets. Of course, filter the visibles out with whatever mechanism you prefer (Cloth, coffee filter... I use a weighted jug with a bandana elastic'd over the mouth, and sink it til the bubbles stop.) Then add/mix according to directions. Potable water, en masse. It's a bit more work to lug a big jug back to shore, but if you've got water responsibilities for more than yourself, solves it in one go.

http://survivaltopics.com/better-than-bleach-use-calcium-hypochlorite-to-disinfect-water/

freebirdfb likes this.
  14. to Ha

to Ha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    GREAT little kit!!!

Bleach DOES have a shelf life. Additionally, it DOES work quite well to treat water. The Red Cross promotes its use, fyi.

Avoid product with "other" chemicals, scents, etc in it, as they can do more harm than good.

freebirdfb and Toddg like this.