Viable bushcraft saw?

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by 2Stroke, Dec 7, 2018.

1. 2Stroke

2Stroke Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well I was cruising around the home depot the other day and I came across this saw handle that'll accept hack saw and sawzall blades for about $10. I picked it up and I put in a Diablo pruning blade in it and it seems to cut pretty well. I'm not sure how it'll do over time, but so far it has been good for some small pruining around the yard. Im going to have to test it against my folding and bow saws to see gow it does. If all goes well I am going to make a nice handle out of some red oak to replace the plastic and possibly add it to the kit! What are your thoughts on it?
    20181207_110528.jpg

Beach Hiker, Haggis, Malpaso and 15 others like this.
  2. cbrianroll

cbrianroll Professional Tinkerer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Cool! That reminds me of a Lennox folding saw that took blades like that I think....its been missing for a long time now...

3. 2Stroke

2Stroke Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was actually looking at the Lennox saw when I saw this!

4. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like your thought process. Whenever we can find an item that is mass produced like this it offers promise as a very cost effective tool. I love my Silky saws, but they are costly. And I cannot imagine myself ever having patience to resharpen on. On the other hand I can resharpen my chain saw in only a few minutes.

Those of us who have a way of tangling with metal might benefit from some of the carbide tipped saw blades. I like it and thanks for sharing.

5. cbrianroll

cbrianroll Professional Tinkerer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oh good it was lennox... if I dont see it I tend to mix things up lol..

6. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've got a similar folding Milwaukee. I like it a lot for projects.
    Easily switching blades for different jobs makes things nice.

7. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Ya done well young fellar. joe

Haggis, Guttersnipe and 2Stroke like this.
  8. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I picked up the folding Lennox a couple months ago. Really handy tool to have in the pouch, much better than using a hacksaw blade with your gloved hand!
    I just wish it could stow the 2nd blade in the handle somehow, but I guess you can't have everything.

Haggis, Guttersnipe and SoreFeet like this.
  9. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have one. I have carried it into the bush and used it. I didn't like it for Bushcraft. I can see it being useful in a bug out bag or something where you may need to do home projects while away from home or perhaps in a new home. I think of sawzaws as tools for demolition though they can certainly be used for projects where you are not to picky on aesthetics (EG a dog house). They cut fast enough when powered but unpowered they are slow when compared to a proper handsaw. Those are my thoughts based on my experiences. It's good to think outside the box and it will be interesting to hear your thoughts after you have compared the saws.

10. will62

will62 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Best advice, is to take it out and use it in the woods. Cut some firewood build a shelter and see how it compares to another saw you use for bushcraft.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  11. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I've only used the Lennox at work, preferring to use either the Silky Pocketboy or Corona 8" folding saw for outdoor stuff.
    Even at work I only use it with the bi-metal blade when a bandsaw or sawzall won't work due to space restrictions or noise concerns (i.e. hospital work). For drywall cutting i greatly prefer my fixed blade Fat Max jab saw.
    That being said it's definitely on the list of "things I'd grab if shtf", but that's neither here nor there.

Haggis, 2Stroke and Guttersnipe like this.
  12. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    More than once, I've put a sawsall blade in a pair of visegrips as an improvised saw where space was limited.
    I think I need a new toy now...
    Thank you!

Haggis and Ptpalpha like this.
  13. Leshy_apprentice

Leshy_apprentice Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My thought looking at that would have been it is poor ergonomics and would be a pain in the wrist when processing lots of firewood at camp.

That said, I've never handled that type of saw, so maybe I'm wrong about that. I like the folding handle pruning saws, just seem more comfortable to handle to me. Just an assumption on my part.

So let us know how it handles and if it's comfortable after processing lots of wood! For lower volume work crafting, I'm sure it's fine and it won't cause much if any stress on the wrist. Just maybe not ideal for firewood processing.

In any case, the interchangable blades make it good for crafting I think...could pick coarse or fine tooth per inch depending on task. I picked up something similar that runs interchangable saw blades at Lowe's made under the Kobalt brand, just the handle seems more ergonomic to me, more like folding pruning saw handles.

Haggis and Guttersnipe like this.
  14. Tdr

Tdr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Maybe you'll like it! I have used them a lot At work. Great for tight spaces and you can abuse the blades and grab another one from the sawzall case.
    Too hard on the wrist though for me when I tried them camping.

Haggis and Guttersnipe like this.
  15. Odie

Odie Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have one that I keep in my tool bag at home. If nothing else, it's definitely handy and accepts different saws for various small projects.

Guttersnipe and Haggis like this.
  16. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    If it works for you, and fits in your kit I see no reason why it couldn't work well as a bushcrafting tool. I have found that having nearly any small saw on me makes trap making, notching, and crafting much easier. Even in my workshop I use handsaws over electric saws.

SoreFeet, Guttersnipe and Haggis like this.
  17. Malpaso

Malpaso Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Do you have the Home Depot part number for that handle? Can't find it on their web site

Guttersnipe and Haggis like this.
  18. Odie

Odie Scout

Blog Posts:
    Malpaso and Guttersnipe like this.
  19. RJM52

RJM52 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Several years ago I tried the same experiment...bought several different handles and blades trying to find the right combination for a small saws everything kit... Was not real satisfied with the results.

None cut as fast as a Carona and for compact none beat the Gerber folder I have with a wood and bone blade that I have had for so long it was made in America...

Bob

Guttersnipe and MountainWanderer like this.