Here is a recent restoration I did on a vintage Stonebridge folding lantern. These were made in galvanized steel, aluminum and brass and there are a few different variations. The earliest version has windows on all four sides. The improved version such as this one has a solid back plate and three windows. There is some good info on the history of these interesting lanterns available online. I had wanted an original brass one but was never able to find one until just recently. The steel ones are fairly easy to find but I never did like the look of them quite as much as the brass. The aluminum ones are the lightest and occasionally come up for sale but are far less durable than the brass or steel. The reproduction brass versions that are being made in India just didn’t excite me very much. They differ slightly in the dimensions and seem to match an earlier patent drawing for the Stonebridge. They seem to be a good value though for anyone wanting one that doesn’t care about it being an original. Here are a few photos of the lantern as I received it. It is almost difficult to tell it is brass as it is very dirty and tarnished. These were adopted for military use during WW1 and this particular lantern has a US Medical Corps stamping on the top which is kind of neat. The mica windows are intact but in pretty poor shape with clouded and damaged areas and grime that could not be cleaned off. The lantern body has a few dings here and there but otherwise it is fairly decent. It folded roughly and I could tell that it needed some straightening out to fold better and to reduce pressure points on the mica. I don’t normally clean up vintage items too much as I like the patina on them and the aged look. However, I wanted this lantern to be in good working/usable condition and that meant the mica needed to be replaced and the brass cleaned a bit to enhance the reflective qualities of the lantern when lit. It can tarnish again as I enjoy it. I first removed the small brass keeper wires from each of the three windowed sides and slid off the top retaining caps. It is then easy to slide the old mica sheets out. I used a small ceramics tool to clean out bits of broken mica inside the grooves as needed. The only tools I used were a small ceramics tool and a pair of needle nose pliers. I am sure you could accomplish this in the field with just a knife.