Virginia OKs Slingbow

Discussion in 'Archery' started by Tye, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Tye

Tye Scout

Blog Posts:
    Virginia has authorized the use of slingbows for deer and small game hunting as long as the hunter has a valid bow license.

2. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    you got a link? any clarification on things like draw weight (since i know that idea would be different for slingshot vs bow)

PERRO likes this.
  3. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't have a problem with states adding to the list of viable weapons with which to hunt. But just because it moves an arrow downrange does not make a bow or hunting with archery equipment. Regardless of a slingbow, crossbow, atlatl, air gun that shoots arrows, etc......perhaps states could come up with a better licence category to cover what the weapon really is rather that lump many of this into bowhunting.....looks more like hunting with an arrow, quarrel, or dart to me.........

Call bowhunting actually hunting with a bow, and hand held (unstocked) weapon where the hunter pulls and holds the string and full draw....the other call them what they are......

4. Tye

Tye Scout

Blog Posts:
    MJH I can see your point as you appear to be a purest. If they separate it in Va that's means another charge you already have two separate fees for now vs crossbow. I don't think I would hunt anything larger than small game with a slingbow. But at least the Commonwealth is letting slingbows take game. To answer Cowboy Jesus I don't know the draw weight I was in a legal update Class when they vaguely covered it.

CowboyJesus likes this.
  5. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

If I follow your correctly you get a charge for a hunting licence then charge for weapon type??

We have small game with a variety of weapons allowed. Big game via firearms and some type crossbows are ok. Like I can hunt deer, turkey, bear with a standard firearm, black powder or with a crossbow during the respective seasons. Bear the weapon is hunters choice pretty much. Bowhunting for deer and turkey is separate but crossbows ok with health validation or upper age allowance. We also have a separate blackpowder season for deer.

Between all the season's, weapons choices, etc the rules and such get a little messy.

Yea I am a purist in a sense that I like things called what they are rather than lumping them together for convenience or because they are "kinda" like each other.

I'm also interesting in hunting data. I think it is valuable to know what the hunting success rates are with specific types of weapons, seasons, geographical areas, etc. Helps you see what hunters are doing. What's happening with game populations. I think it would help with management. I think it would help expand seasons in some areas or offer specific hunting opportunities that don't currently exist. When you lump data it's hard to refine what you might want to be doing.

6. Tye

Tye Scout

Blog Posts:
    MJH ok you pay a separate rate to bow hunt 18.00, You also pay 18.00$ to muzzle load, your big game is 23.00that covers deer & turkey. But you have to buy a VA hunting license for 23.00$ total is 82.00$ Bear is extra18.00

7. Tye

Tye Scout

Blog Posts:
    MJH east of the Blue Ridge mountains has a wider deer season than West of BR. 2 counties inhuntnin you can kill does the entire rifle season. Due to the number of deer and population. Your basic big game lic. gives you 6 deer 3 does and 3 bucks. You can buy bonus tags at 3 per 18.00 does only.