Visiting Maine

Discussion in 'Maine' started by MOGSTER, Feb 6, 2018.

1. MOGSTER

MOGSTER Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @mainewoods and others. Im going to be visiting mid coast maine for work. Is there anything good - bushcraft related to do, see? I love visiting with local craftsmen and vendors in mew areas.

Thx in advance.

2. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    All of Maine is Bushcraft related! Acadia national park, and Camden/Rockland harbor. Fort Knox in Bucksport, along with the highest bridge observation tower in the northern hemisphere. Bar harbor.
    Antique stores for axes, knives, toys of all kinds .
    Welcome!!!

3. MOGSTER

MOGSTER Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Are there any bushcraft or survival achools? I know Tim from Jack Mountain. Just wondered if there are others.

CivilizationDropout likes this.
  4. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    None that I know of.

5. Togus

Togus Echo of the Loon Supporter

Blog Posts:
  6. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What "Mid Coast" area specifically for more recommendations?

CivilizationDropout and MOGSTER like this.
  7. MOGSTER

MOGSTER Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Portland and Union

8. Seacapt.

Blog Posts:
    Portland is nice if your into the city life, it's Boston's new North shore suburb but up around Union you'll start to see the real Maine, try to get to Belfast not far from Union and have some good eats at Rollies on Main St.. Mid coast is Rockland down to Bar Harbor (Acadia National Park).

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  9. Seacapt.

Blog Posts:
    If your in Union go down Rt.17 10 miles To the Maine State Ferry terminal in Rockland and buy a WALK on round trip ticket to VINALHAVEN for a scenic thru islands trip and either stay on Ferry till it reloads and comes back or check out the village where the ferry docks have a bite to eat and come back about 1 1/2 hr. later on the next boat.

MommaJ likes this.
  10. MommaJ

MommaJ Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Portland you have Sebago Lake(about an hour away) and Portland Headlights(lighthouse nice little park).

Union area:
    Rockland you have the Breakwater Lighthouse

Depending on when the trip is you also have Maple Syrup Sunday the last Sunday of March.

Camden Maine has Camden Hills state park the 1 side of the road is the campground but also the access to point to the long uphill drive or hike to Mt Battie with an amazing view of the harbor. The other side of the road is the park

From Union Me you are very close to Appleton Preserve with a very nice trail system.

x39 and Seacapt. like this.
  11. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @MOGSTER ,There are some very nice hiking opportunities in the mid-coast region with trails maintained by the Georges River Land Trust, info here... http://www.georgesriver.org/
    Liberty Tool is closed the month of February, but opens again the first weekend of march. Often some good tool scores can be had there... http://www.jonesport-wood.com/libertytool.html
    Seeing your post about hiking in the Presidentials, you might enjoy visiting Maine Sport in Rockport, they have a very nice selection of outdoors gear https://www.mainesport.com/ and there's a bulletin board there with local goings on which might prove useful. Hope this helps!

MommaJ likes this.
  12. Seacapt.

Blog Posts:
    Re: Momma J.

For a girl from away you sure know your way around the neighborhood and I bet you've even had some of Morse's famous saurkraut just down the road from Union on the Waldoboro line.;)

x39 likes this.
  13. MommaJ

MommaJ Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    We moved up to Maine in '05. Started in South Portland(close to what we were use to) and worked our way up and away from people lol. Appleton(loved loved loved the camp there), Damariscotta(condo hated it), South Bristol(my fav place, fav people). Then Pop got worse with the dementia and we had to move back to NJ. We still go up at least once a year.

And yup yup but I know to stay away from red's and buying lobster from a bridge is A ok.

I can tell your a ship guy bc you said Midcoast is from Rockland down to Bar Harbor. Which when your driving in ya know a car is actually from Rockland up to Bar Harbor. Drove me absolutely nuts when we 1st moved up there having to translate from sea directions to land directions. Finally figured out that its a way to keep flat landers away lol

x39 and Seacapt. like this.
  14. Seacapt.

Blog Posts:
    Native Mainer's directional glossary:

Anywhere to the South or East of where your at is "downtah"
    Anywhere to the West is "overtah"
    Anywhere to the North is "uptah"

For example using Augusta/Waterville area as a focal point you go downtah Portland , Belfast, Steuben and Lubec or go West overtah Bethel or Rumford and go North uptah Jackman, Greenville or Millinocket.

bumma and x39 like this.
  15. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Seacapt. , as well, "down" the road indicates going toward the shore. "up" the road away from it. Down here, more or less anything not in Washington County is dismissed as "to west'ard" or "uptah".

bumma and Seacapt. like this.