Wästikivi Finnish water stone review

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Pastor Chris, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I love to sharpen, I have since I was a boy, and I have tried lots of different sharpening devices/techniques and use different ones to this day depending upon what I am sharpening.

I am a big fan of Japanese water stones and they are my "go to" method for many things. Water stones cut very well, come in a huge variety of sizes and grits, but most of all for me, they have a wonderful "feel" while sharpening. Those of you who sharpen a lot, know what I mean. Even novices can feel when they are sharpening properly, with a little coaching.

I have been getting into Scandinavian knife lately and found a video in which the presenter used a certain kind of Finnish stone for sharpening.

I found out that Ragnar's Ragweed Forge carries a small version of this sort of stone. Scroll down and you will see it. http://www.ragweedforge.com/SharpeningCatalog.html

I was gifted one of his Viking Whestones by @SunnyBunny awhile ago and really like that, but wanted something that would cut a bit more aggressively.

Mt favorite field stone is the Fallkniven DC4. It is a good size and works well.

Here is a comparison shot of the DC4, the Finnish stone, and a DMT folding diamond stone:

[​IMG]Untitled by Chris Scrivens, on Flickr

And the thickness of the DC4 and the Finnish stone:

And the Viking Whetstone and the Finnish stone:

My first experiences are very positive. I have sharpened three knives and also used one on a recent fishing trip to touch up the fly hooks. Using just water, they generate a slurry just like Japanese water stones. The Finnish stone feels a little slippery until the slurry is generate, but that does not take long.

These little stones sharpen quickly but don't create a very aggressive scratch pattern. As with Japanese stones, these do not really develop a burr, which is nice.

Overall I am pleased and impressed with these stones, and will keep my eyes peeled for a domestic source for larger ones as shipping from Finland seems pricey. Ragweed Forge was a great distributor to deal with and I would recommend trying these for any sharpening geeks.

Rockgod1619, Schmittie, Hoof and 35 others like this.
  2. Subdood

Subdood Ex-bubblehead Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Oh great! Now I have yet another sharpening stone that I "need" to buy. Because like you, I sharpen a lot! I find sharpening almost therapeutic. I have multiple methods and ways as well. So far I have avoided the "abyss" of Japanese waterstones somehow, but this, this is too much! Aaaaaaauuuuuggggghhhhh! ;)

IzaWildman, Carabnr, rsnurkle and 2 others like this.
  3. rmil

rmil Texan

Blog Posts:
    I read the post (great write up btw) then immediately scrolled back up to click the link! I see one in my future. Thanks for the review.

Pastor Chris and Subdood like this.
  4. happywanderer

happywanderer Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm very slow to buy kit, thanks to a miser's mentality and a rather tight budget. But this is extremely tempting. You had me at "do not really develop a burr." No matter how much I strop, I have difficulty fully getting rid of the burr!

5. Schwert

Schwert Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, I have had one of these on my Ragnar list for quite some time. Now I think it is time to order...

Pastor Chris likes this.
  6. Mtnfolk Mike

Mtnfolk Mike Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Right on Chris.. I love these little Wastikivi stones.. Also scored mine from Ragnar a few years back.. They do indeed work great..

Pastor Chris likes this.
  7. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    IMG_0969.JPG

I used this stone this morning to sharpen two of my favorite folders, one with Elmax and another with a ZDP-189 core at Rockwell C 67! It did great on the Elmax, the ZDP-189 is always a bit of a time-sucker, but it stays sharp longer. I did this little stone and it works well above its size and price point for sure.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  8. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    Continued use just makes me love these things more. It is amazing at how quickly yet fine it cuts.

I was tenkara fishing the other day and the ones from Ragnar are small enough to use for sharpening fly hooks after snags.

Ragnar definitely has a great price and these and there do not seem to be many or any other domestic sources for them

Lamnia has a decent selection and reasonable shipping to the US, though a few styles are out of stock until October.

I just ordered a Wästikivi axe pick from them.

9. Maurice 7

Maurice 7 Scout

Blog Posts:
    @Pastor Chris
    So nice to read, thanks for sharing. Great to read from like minded people.
    I also sharpen knives since my very early youth. Started of with Buck Washita and Arkansas stones.
    Now I have Naniwa Pro stones (so Nice), King but also Jnats and a bunch of Ardennes Coticules. Freehand sharpening is a delight indeed. scandinavian knives are the best for crafting indeed.
    Your little stones are very interesting.especially the Viking.
    Have you read these documents: ?
    http://bosq.home.xs4all.nl/
    Grinding and honing part 1 till 4 in pdf? Highly reccomended.
    Do you also have Ardennes Coticule? They also come in pocketstyle. Super fast. 480 million old layers with hard mineral garnets .
    Great addition to the DC4 in the field.

Pastor Chris likes this.
  10. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
  11. Schwert

Schwert Guide

Blog Posts:
    That puck looks nice for sure....great deal too.

Pastor Chris likes this.
  12. Carabnr

Carabnr Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have to admit, I too am a sharpening geek. The coticules I have collected from a vintage tool store rock... I tend to create a slurry between the harder and softer stones and use the harder stone with the slurry. I have a favorite I believe its a belgian... or a lorraine rouge, but the Posts I've found on line were fascinating. I was just sharpening up a hatchet last night with some of my vintage cotti's.

Love this thread... Thanks for sharing PC.
    One more question, the tool shop has a new vintage 3 X8 Trans arc for 90$... I am tempted.
    And any thoughts about diamond hones? The good the bad and the lovely?

Pastor Chris likes this.
  13. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    I've used diamond stones for years @Carabnr , mostly DMT. I use them with water and they are especially good for very hard steels and last for a very long time. They are also extremely flat and stay that way and use one to flatten my water stones.

Lately I find myself gravitating to natural stones like Japanese waterstones (not really natural I know) these Wastikivi, and I just got my first Belgian conticule

I like stones that cut with a slurry. They seem to work better and you can control how they cut by adjusting the slurry.

I like having lots of options too and a diamond stone is one I like having on hand.

I think the end it is like most tools, the skill is in your hand, not in the tool, and you can do a good job with many things when you learn to use them.

Sharpening is a very tactile thing and I find that important. Beyond that it is a sort of spiritual Zen sort of thing too that goes beyond making tools sharp.

14. Carabnr

Carabnr Guide

Blog Posts:
    10/4 pastor C, we're on the same page.

Pastor Chris likes this.
  15. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    @Pastor Chris looks like the axe puck is $21 plus shipping am I looking wrong ?

Pastor Chris likes this.
  16. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a Great axe stone!

Pastor Chris likes this.
  17. FreudianSlip

FreudianSlip Guide

Blog Posts:
    I know this thread is about the stones, but all I can look at is the ragweed forge knife. Maybe I have an issue.

Pastor Chris likes this.
  18. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    Yup, that's it!

19. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    An issue shared by many! Lol

FreudianSlip likes this.
  20. Mangrove

Mangrove Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Broke likes this.
  21. apbtlvr

apbtlvr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Pastor Chris,
    Thank you- this is a useful thread that I only just discovered. Just got a Wästikivi phyllite stone delivered from Varusteleka. Using it with a Terävä Skrama bush knife that I've grown fond of. I Think it will match up nicely for edge maintenance while in the field.

Pastor Chris and mainewoods like this.
  22. Muskett

Muskett Scout

Blog Posts:
    One of my all time favourite pocket stones is an Arkansas hard stone. Bought it in Little Rock many moons ago when on a military exchange.
    I do like my DMT, also my Spyderco ceramic rods. Lots of ways to take off metal, and it gets quite addictive, well therapeutic, when time permits. A bit like tying fishing flys/lures.

See that Ben Orford knife. Have to say his work brings out the Bushcraft ethos. I have one of his Eban Parangs and love it. I have no interest if its the best steel in the world or not, its the "love" he builds into his work that counts. A bit like the 'love" you get when you get a knife really sharp from your own labours.

Pastor Chris likes this.