Walking sticks - show them off

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Outdoor Dauber, May 11, 2019.

1. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Awesome work!!!

2. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    I have a bunch of "Medallions" that I too grabbed from various places I visited, I have not attached them to any walking staffs yet, though. Your walking stick is the first one I've seen that actually has a few tacked to it! I think my walking stick will gain a pound or 2 after I tack all mine to it.
    Below are the sticks fashioned from fallen redwood limbs in my yard. My wife's staff has the darker leather wrap for her handle. I modified mine by hollowing out cavity to hold a fero/fatwood rod. The bottom 10 - 11" on my staff is muddy as I use it to collapse mole tunnels in my yard, hoping I'd spear the tunnel boring machine while I jab the tip into the ground.
    I saw a photo here, that had a stone embedded in the shot, I got a great idea from it, I have some Turquoise from my dad, (Was his favorite stone) I'm thinking I can epoxy one of the stone to mine in a prominent location. Maybe a ring of turquoise just above the handle? Something to thing about now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  3. Coyote Charlie

Coyote Charlie MOA #63, Roughian #88 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    There is a trick to attaching them and one video on YouTube that shows a method. What I have done is picked up some slightly larger tack nails at the hardware store. Then pre-drilled 1/2 to 2/3 of the hole prior to nailing them on. Seems to work for me without bending the nail.

4. White Falcon

White Falcon Scout

Blog Posts:
  5. doulos

doulos Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sassafras Walking Stick - 60"

IMG_1395.jpg

6. GoodPhotos

GoodPhotos Father, Husband, Patriot, Entrepreneur Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Deep in wild wooded Western foothills of Maine
    Since you asked, I photographed the three that I've had and used the most in the last 30 years or so...

Untitled-1.jpg
    First one I made shortly after I got home from the Army in the late 80s. It comes up to about my elbow and I carved on it a little bit before urathaning it. I carried it on campus everywhere when I was getting my degree (thank you GIBill!) and it became part of my identity. I walked across the stage with it when I got my Diploma too. :) It was on loan to my elderly father in law with his fused disks for more than a decade because it was the perfect height for the way he was bent over. He died a year ago and it came back home.
    IMG_3651.JPG

The second I made from a lightning struck ash behind our trailer when we first moved here to Heronswood on Holmestead before we built (recycled) the house. It's heavy (in weight and in symbolism) so mostly it gets carried at Ritual, not in the bush. Carved with Runes, Ogham, decorated with fetishes, stones, ornaments, feathers, family tartan & a crest, etc... mostly ornamental, though it is SOLID. It's not quite shoulder high.

IMG_3655.JPG

IMG_3654.JPG

IMG_3656.JPG

IMG_3658.JPG

The last one is just a sturdy tool handle that I spiral carved, put a Hame on one end and a rubber cane tip on the other then relief cut a birch, oak and maple leaf into it and urethaned/stained it. That's the one that get most use in the woods these days. It's shoulder high, top weighted with brass and solid while not being heavy at all.

IMG_3660.JPG

7. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    Very cool...thanks for sharing!!

8. SMLE Guy

SMLE Guy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I like collecting the medallions too. More often than not when we go somewhere, that's the only souvenir that I'll get for myself.

9. SMLE Guy

SMLE Guy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Cool walking sticks, but I love your "heavy" stick.

10. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    Whittled this with a Case half-congress while on terminal leave when I retired from the Army. Walnut.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    A-MAZ-ING!!!!!

12. IzaWildman

IzaWildman Grey Owl Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That is pretty amazing. How many hours did that take?

13. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    I cut this walking stick from a small beech tree nearly 20 years ago. It has gone out into the woods with me ever since. Nothing fancy. Beech makes a perfect walking stick. Very strong, not too heavy, not too light. The bark is wonderful. Smooth, but still a good gripping surface. I did nothing special when I cut it, I just brought it in the house. I should have waxed the ends or something, but still, the checking was VERY minimal. I have found an area with a lot of nice beech shoots and I may go cut me another one or two.

DSCF1036_800x597.JPG
    DSCF2038_800x597.JPG

14. randyt

randyt Guide

Blog Posts:
    here's one of mine, made from a maple sapling and a hame end

[​IMG]

15. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    Don't know. I was on transition leave for 148 days.

16. IzaWildman

Blog Posts:
    It's obvious there is a lot of work and planning that went into your stick. Well done.

17. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    One is a replacement hoe handle made of hickory. The other is a surf fishing graphite blank with a fancy handle. I prefer the hickory.

Attached Files:

18. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    I never would have thought about using a graphite surf rod blank. Awesome repurposing!

19. randyt

randyt Guide

Blog Posts:
    when I was young the old boys at the stockyard used a shepards hook for moving the livestock. The hooks were made from hickory. I always thought they would make a great walking stick. Last time I visited none of the farm stores had any for sale. Went to a sale with my brother and no one used a shepard hook, had some kind of ugly rod.

20. House of Horst

House of Horst Have knife, will travel Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Tucked in the WV Eastern Panhandle Appalachians
    I posted elsewhere about this, but figured I'd share it here as well since we've got a thread going on hiking sticks. (Text is from the original post)

Thought you guys might like to see this project I worked with my Grandfather this morning that I've been wanting to do for a while. I got inspiration for it off of a picture I saw online, so I can't take credit. Haven't seen too many like it, though, so there's that. We routed out a section of my hiking staff behind the carved Tree Spirit to hold my Victorinox Bushcrafter (made from a converted Farmer). I used the awl I got from @badger claw to make the starter holes for the screw eyes (worked like a charm!). The bungee/shock cord may or may not be a new hair tie I stole from my wife. It's the perfect size for this project, though, if anyone was wondering.

Overall, I'm really excited to have this done, what with spring - and hiking season - coming. I don't notice much difference in weight/balance with the knife installed, and there's no rattling since it's held so securely. I like that I can't grab my staff and hit the trail and know I've got a nice useful tool at the ready.

View attachment 489859

View attachment 489860

View attachment 489861

View attachment 489862

View attachment 489863

Can't figure out how to share my videos from Facebook, so here's a link to my post on Instagram with the videos.

https://instagram.com/p/Bed00_ZB9NB/

21. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Had this guy for 20 years. It's just a piece of drift wood but someone once tried to use it as a camp fire poker and I dang near blew my top.
    2019-05-25 20.30.32.jpg

22. jcs271

jcs271 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Horst, I really like your idea of routing out a space or Channel to hold a knife or some other type of gear. I would be concerned that the eyelets would get in the way of moving your hand up and down the staff as you walk or climb with it and that the hair tie bungees would either break or get snagged or otherwise possibly let your knife get away. Have you considered instead just using a simple piece of bicycle inner tube to pull over the shaft of your hiking stick and cover the knife when it's not in use. I have something similar on my hiking stick to cover my emergency paracord.

[​IMG]

23. bosque bob

bosque bob Guide

Blog Posts:
    Only have a few, one that's used every amble. It's Russian oljve, shoulder height and lightweight considering the strength.

There are many fine walking sticks here. Well done all around.

24. House of Horst

House of Horst Have knife, will travel Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Tucked in the WV Eastern Panhandle Appalachians
    So you can really only tell in the video through my link to my instagram account, but the routed channel is directly behind the carved woodspirit face at almost the very top of my staff. My staff comes up just past my shoulder when standing level. I do a fair bit of hiking and never grab anywhere near that high on my staff. I also have a set of olivewood pace/Ranger beads dangling in front of the knife that never touch my hand when walking. I was also careful to position the eyelets so as to be as snag-free as possible and have yet (with many many miles under that stick) to snag it on anything. The hair tie bungee is also not under a terrible amount of stress compared to what it would be if it was in my wife's hair. Haha. I also figure that if it happens to fail while walking, there's little to no chance of me NOT seeing a pocket knife coming out of the top of my staff. However, in the event that that does happen, I tent to slide the loose knotted end of my pace beads through the keyring on the knife just as an extra measure of precaution.

Long story short, if I used inner tube, it would cover the very nice carving on the front of my staff. I do appreciate the concern, though!

25. RBD

RBD Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]
    Under the paracord is 100 yards of 20lb braid fishing line. I'm starting on a top compartmentto hold hooks and some split shot. Cap it off with a compass.

26. IzaWildman

Blog Posts:
    This was the first wood spirit stick I did. A beaver stick, in a photo below, you can see the teeth marks where it was cut. This one was gifted to my oldest son.
    950FC750-4A70-476A-8547-E2D40CD7626D.jpeg C37AFCB6-7AE0-492B-B552-3761E83F5A6C.jpeg 21B4DCC5-12DD-45FD-A5EC-978734A0DDA2.jpeg 1F1ED385-EDE6-4BC1-B594-D5B3124041F0.jpeg

It was fun and a learning experience.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  27. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    Amazing work!

28. jayclimber

jayclimber BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Project we did with our Cub Scouts! Everyone got to make a hiking stick from debating to staining and wrapping! This was mine!

20190521_081301.jpg

20190521_081030~2.jpg

Nothing fancy, used some gunstock stain I had on hand and sealed it with beeswax. 54" long and 1.5" wide at the top.

29. bosque bob

bosque bob Guide

Blog Posts:
    Notice a likely bit of wood, gather it up, artfully (or not) personalize it, head on down the trail with a "keep away", load helping, shelter supporting tramping staff.

Now, is that the essence of bushcraft or what?

30. Coyote Charlie

Coyote Charlie MOA #63, Roughian #88 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Jonah L. Archer and backlasher like this.
  31. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:

An appropriate selection from Leon Redbone, who just recently passed away.

32. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]
    my around the town carry is usually this one-runes with some scripture, and some knots put on there too. nice and comfy.

[​IMG]
    my wild wood stick is still being adapted. it's got a screw at the top, with this fork for a thumb fork or the like-but i intend to make it this antler piece at some point.

[​IMG]
    "the road goes ever on" is around the top, with this comfy paracord grip and wrist cord, which carries it nice while i walk.

[​IMG]
    just recently put a measuring rod at the bottom. roughly a foot, broken into 1/4" lengths.

i need to get a full length shot of this river cane walking stick at some point, given as much as i love it and have done with it!

33. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
  34. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    Iza showed your "First wood spirit stick" to my wife she liked it and also said said to say " Nice flowers" in the back ground

35. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ok I need some advise on finishing my walking stick. Only finishing it has is bark stripped with my SAK. Since it's been in use now for over a year its probably going to be around for a while and I'm thinking i might want to protect it a little more now.
    The options I'm thinking about are, after sanding, either a coating or two of BLO or a coating of verathane or lacquer of some sorts. I have BLO and have not tried it on any Redwood limbs for practice yet.
    What are the other options for finishing redwood?

36. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @T. Pollock

37. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Redwood I'm sure you know is really soft but it is very weather resistant naturally. In my experiences surface finishes don't stick to it very well and are prone to flaking back off, especially being an item that will see significant changes in temperature and humidity if it's kept indoors but you use it in the bush in both the cold of winter and heat of summer. If it were mine I'd simply use some BLO if you'd like to add a little protection for it. Lacquer is the last thing you'd want to use on anything that will be taken outside, moisture will ruin a lacquer finish quickly. If you just really really want a surface finish on it I'd use spar (marine varnish) thinned 50% until you get the mount of finish build you like. Hope that helps a little. I've been making and finishing things from wood for more than 40 yrs but I'm far from a professional... and as always, I could always be wrong. :dblthumb:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  38. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    I'm trying to find some true bamboo (not Japanese knotweed) locally to make a walking stick out of. I'm intrigued...

39. JEB

JEB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Some outstanding work done here. I have made countless Yucca and Soltol sticks. Wife and I traveled to the SW during the winter months for 15 years and I would bring back around 25 sticks every year to turn into hiking staffs. They are light and sturdy. I put some work in to them as I sand them down smooth and put 8 coats of wipe on poly on them, copper butt cap and then a rubber crutch tip over the copper butt cap. Sadly I have zero artistic ability to carve something on the top.
    I also make them out of local woods such as cherry, iron wood and sassafras. I look for future hiking sticks that have a buck rub on them and make the staff around the rub. sorry I don;t have the ability with cameras either. lol

40. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    Along with protecting my walking stick, (Probably go with the BLO option) I'm planning to personalize it a little more. While in Ireland I came across a shop that had hat pins with sir names printed on them. I bought one (I'm a fiend when it comes to hat pins can't seem to pass one up especially with my last name on it!) that pin resides on my work EDC pack. I found a website that carries the same pin (Lapel they call it) so contacted them and have 2 more name pins on the way! One for my walking stick and the other for the wife's walking stick. I think the name pins will be attached via epoxy, to the very tops, maybe counter sunk their thickness into the tops? Wife has a few small turquoise stones I plan to implant in mine as well. Not sure where or how they'll lay out yet (Still thinking about that) Since I don't want to screw up the handle on mine trying to whittle a spirit face into it, and it looking like a stick figure, I can adorn it with stones instead.

41. MEC003

MEC003 Scout

Blog Posts:
    20181026_105832.jpg Not a great picture. It's white oak from a piece of property my grandfather owned in WV. The laND was sold when he passed. This one's got a lot of miles on it.

42. Sosteve

Sosteve Scout

Blog Posts:
  43. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Scout

Blog Posts:
    29EF5558-38DC-4446-8BF2-9BB36CADA343.jpeg This thread inspired me. The wood is laurel. A random piece my Dad had in his shop before he passed. I used it as my occasional “running stick” for a few years. Looking at this thread, I decided to do something with it. Found a brass hame on line. Filled the “knob” with #9 shot and epoxy. (Never know when you might need to knock on a door, or something.) Added the brass tip. Under the rubber cap is a spike for when I take it off road. The finish is several coats of BLO. Too long to be a “cane,” too short to be a “staff.” Oh well, I like it.

44. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for sharing! I'm sure your Dad would be proud of what you did with it.

Jonah L. Archer likes this.
  45. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    Update, I received my sir name hat pin a few weeks back and finally got a moment to put it on my stick. I used a dermal and sanding drum and 1/4" grinding stone to hollow out a cavity so the pin would sit flush in the top of the handle. I first sanded the top flat, as it had in even saw cut marks. 5 min epoxy is securing the pin in. That's Griffin the cat (on a leash) He's still a kitten and we have 1/2 acre IMG_7165.jpg unfenced he can run around in and we want him to stick around a while so until he's really familiar with his yard I walk him daily so he can learn all the smells of home before we let him off lead.
    The Hat pin install is first of a few ideas I have for personalizing my walking stick. Some turquoise stone will be added, maybe some Abalone shell? My wifes walking stick will definitely be getting some Abalone shell either in thin strips dangling from lanyard or inlayed. Her decision when we do hers.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    yohan, S.Decker, pellegrino and 2 others like this.
  46. GoodPhotos

GoodPhotos Father, Husband, Patriot, Entrepreneur Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Deep in wild wooded Western foothills of Maine
    My Gods! If you could make walking sticks out of knotweed, I'd be RICH beyond measure!

S.Decker and Jonah L. Archer like this.
  47. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have been on the hunt for a good takedown hiking staff/ stick for a long time

48. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Rusty Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Not much to mine.It has a compass on the top which I had to drill with a half inch drill bit to make the hole for it.The wood is eastern hemlock which I carved off the bark.
    002.JPG
    44406452_2123601141211175_4791586423041949696_n.jpg catsngear (5).JPG catsngear (6).JPG

49. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So.....shortly after posting this I couldnt stop thinking about walking sticks. I only have one so I thought I would paracord wrap the handle and see what else I could do to it....I grab it from the garage and as im walking back inside I lean on it just a little and SNAP! Needless to say I was pretty bummed. I went out to the woods behind the house and looked but it was all either too green or too brittle. It's a "wet woods" so dead wood doesnt stay dry for too long on the ground. (Its a preserve so no cutting dead standing). I rummaged around the garage until I found the flag pole from our old house. It didnt fit this house so it's been sitting here taking up space. I sanded it down, cut the final off and wrapped the handle with paracord. I then added a whistle to the lanyard and a cheap carabiner compass (I tried attaching a button compass to the top but ended up breaking it in the process lol and this cheap carabiner was all that I had left). I hope to pick up a crutch/cane bottom for it from store tomorrow. I still want one that breaks down but this will do for now...its 60" 20190815_171824.jpg 20190815_171839.jpg

50. Don_Parsons

Don_Parsons Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Wow, thanks for the thread as I will be upping my game plan for one of these coming up...

I hope to find a stick with some zig-zag curves in it with a Y fork at the top,,, rifle rest,,, but then I looked at the simple copper ends /// or end caps that are used to protect the butt-ends of the stick...

So my plan is to incorporate a threaded nut on the inside so I can quickly screw on different attachments when needed...

Examples might be a rubber bumper for walking in the Rocky terrain or hard cement,,, a chisel pick for the icey days,,, a low ground beer paw grip for the clay sections on wet slippery trails,,, the 3 bottom attachments would come in handy fore sure...

This walking stick I'm planning will be long,,, I'm thinking about adding copper collars here and there on the shaft,,, that way I can clamp on the Y or U attachment to lay the rifle in for a steady shot,,, or should I say a steady-eeeer shot... Ha...

I was going to buy a tripod for $170 Cnd funds,,, but thats a waist of funds since I can make a home made shooting / walking stick for free,,, it wouldn't be as steady as the $$$,,, but I wasn't planning on hunting at that distance any-who... LOL

The saved funds mean that I won't have to work an extra day to pay for it,,, win win in my books...

Free time not working will allow for 2 or 4 days hanging out off grid with my do it all chunk of wood with copper attachments...

Big manly man hug to all for the awesome idea...

Now the trick is to find a light weight / strong chunk of stick here in Western Canada,,, what's your folks thoughts on this...

Open to ideas fore sure...

Northern Don

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Outdoor Dauber likes this.