Walmart hammock

Discussion in 'Hammocks' started by CHREBA, Apr 6, 2017.

1. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not an action shot but of a quick peek . This is the mosquito hammock they now carry . It's not ultra light or anything fancy , what you get is a large 11ft. X 69" hammock that hangs well and is very comfortable . It's not listed as a double but at almost 6ft. across provides plenty of room . Inclusive mosquito net that unzips the entire length on both sides and rated to 300 #'s at right around 2#'s of weight for just just shy of $40 . For the budget minded enthusiast .

Edit:
    The lighter weight hammock is the original Equip .

The other is the Equip Mosquito with the original cords and Biners . Soon to be replaced with Amsteel . Oh there is a separate sack included that I added with said cord/straps and spreaders for netting included in the shown weight .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  2. Red Wing

Red Wing Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lighter than an ENO setup by a lot. Great find!

Winterhorse, DomC, CHREBA and 2 others like this.
  3. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    I assumed that the major brands would just be lighter . Who knew ?

Winterhorse, DomC, isme and 1 other person like this.
  4. Red Wing

Blog Posts:
    Hah, the gaurdian bug net alone weighs about a pound and a half. Same for a double nest and its about a foot and a half shorter with no net.

If that wally world hammock is 11ft and 2#s with a bug net, thats a high value item for sure.

DomC, morganbw, isme and 2 others like this.
  5. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yeah after your post I double checked 2.4 pounds before my Amsteel cord replacement soon to come just haven't done it yet .

Winterhorse, DomC, isme and 1 other person like this.
  6. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    Does the Gaurdian enclose the entire hammock ? This one does not so I'll be treating the whole thing with Sawyer Permithrin .

Winterhorse, DomC and morganbw like this.
  7. Red Wing

Blog Posts:
    No but in my experiende fully enclosed nets just increse weighy(aside from Fronkeys) and end up with my face in the net. I much much prefer a sewn in net.

Underneath youll have a pad or uq under 70 degrees. Functionality wise, you dont need premethrin, if thats how you roll it cant hurt either.

8. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Did you buy this in store?

9. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well yesterday I did a post about a budget underquilt check that out if you already haven't . All said and done when I actually get everything together providing my 10x10 provides sufficient coverage I'll be out of less than $100 complete . It all depends on how my existing tarp covers everything . If not I'll need a larger tarp , I'm hoping on the diagonal I'll be good .

10. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yes I did .

11. JasonJ

JasonJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice.. I wonder if they'll have any like this without the net, instead of just those dumb tiki hammocks for your backyard that you always flip out of.

12. JGB

JGB Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Been wanting to find out if I could sleep in a hammock or not...this is cheap enough (and just slightly heavier than my tent) . Perfect for an experimental outting. Thanks for the heads up!

13. chndlr04

chndlr04 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Always?? I only flipped out once......the one time i got on.

DomC, hidden_lion, morganbw and 3 others like this.
  14. JasonJ

JasonJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    Touche. It should only take one try to realize what a horrible design that is for a hammock. Shame on me for getting in one more than once. lol.

Winterhorse, DomC, chndlr04 and 3 others like this.
  15. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    It's my pleasure to share what I believe to be great deals . They call me thrifty , Mr. Thrifty . I know corny right but I couldn't resist .

16. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    They do from I researched . But don't get the original travel hammock , they came in blue only . My kids have been playing in one of these for a couple of years and it's held up fine but I find it small for my liking . They have one closer in size to this one I believe . This is the largest hammock I've owned . And I find it very comfortable . I had a double nest , years ago which was nice but I like this one more .

Edit:
    My Google search showed a Equip double for $30 on line . There ya go !

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  17. JasonJ

JasonJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice! My only hammock is a cotton one designed for backyard use... thick rope lines, etc. Super comfy, but not designed for travel or camping. Weights about 6lbs. I'd like to get a nice nylon hammock for travelling or camping that is lighter weight.

I see they have two brands, the Equip and North East Harbor, have 1 and 2 person variants of both. One as low as $16. Looks like they may be online purchase only, ship to store.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Travel-Hammock/49332946#about-item

This one I like the best:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Travel-Hammock-2-Piece/49235088#about-item

https://www.walmart.com/ip/North-Ea...wing-Camping-Fruit-Green-Dark-Green/187343160

Winterhorse and morganbw like this.
  18. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yeah the measurements are really close to the one I have . That middle one looks to be a great choice . The originals travel hammock was small to me . I'll say it again , the best testimonial I can give . My kids have been playing in the original going on three years . Enuff said ?

Winterhorse and JasonJ like this.
  19. JasonJ

JasonJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    I ordered the Equip 2 person last night. Free ship to store. Should be nice to lounge in.

Winterhorse, DomC and CHREBA like this.
  20. WonderingWoodsman

WonderingWoodsman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've owned this same one with the net for two years. I love it. My only problem is trying to stuff it back in the pouch, always a struggle.

21. JasonJ

JasonJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    Picking up the Equip 2-person hammock later today- will hang it by the weekend. Once I've got a feel for it, I'll report back here. If that one is any good, it could be indicative of the whole line/brand being decent budget hammocks.

DomC, Winterhorse and CHREBA like this.
  22. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ok my One Tigris under quilt just arrived and I immediately set up the Walmart Equip Mosquito hammock with the quilt . Basement temp. 62 degree F. Didn't take long for my backside to overheat . I'd be negligent not to make mention that I'm a hot sleeper . But never the less 62 degrees and lounge pants and a t-shirt was a bit warmer than I like . I attempted blowing through the quilt with my hand on one side a my mouth directly on the other with a deep breath and nothing . Believe me I've been called a blow hard once or twice lol.
    Granted I'm inside but 62 is 62 degrees . If wind is not coming through is mute concern then all the better . Now remember this is a 11 ft. Hammock .

Edit : This is the 3 season version which honestly will suit my needs 99% of the time if necessary I'll make up the difference with my insulated pad and a sleeping bag .

Attached Files:

xrayit, Red Wing, DomC and 5 others like this.
  23. JasonJ

JasonJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice review chreba.

I set up the Equip 2 person hammock, the orange and blue one today. The orange is less bright in person than on the website. It's more of a dark orange, burnt orange perhaps.

Build Quality is excellent. Triple stiching, solid seems, very nice. It's a little loud when wind blows and while handling it, but otherwise it's a very nice budget hammock for traveling or short-term use.

It's comfortable, but it's not the same as my solid cotton hammock. None, it IS comfortable, it is of good quality and I will continue to use it for sure.

I forgot to mention that I'd you're in the hammock and the sun is shining directly on you, you'll start roasting in about 3.7 seconds. This material doesn't breathe much and holds in heat. That's good for colder weather hammocking and water resistance... But kinda sucks for summer hanging without being under a tarp or shade tree.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  24. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    I ordered a tarp on-line for $59 @ 50% off , it claims to be 26% larger than the largest ENO tarp . It will be in 4-24-17 , i will make an effort to get out in the next few days to hang the complete system for every one to view . And if time allows some dirt time .

FYI my total expenses for a complete hammock setup are as follows .
    Hammock $40
    Under Quilt $55
    Tarp $60
    Suspension $15
    Grand total $175

Mr. Thrifty I says !

Broke, BC_Slider, Winterhorse and 2 others like this.
  25. Early Man

Early Man Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Winterhorse and DomC like this.
  26. Back Off

Back Off Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just ordered a pair of them as well. If nothing else the kids will have fun with them. That would put my inventory at 2 hammocks, 2 - 2 man tents, 1 4 person tent and 1 3 room 10x20 cabin tent. I really could use another tarp yet. Just have the 10x10 tarp I ordered from BCUSA. If nothing else the hammocks could be fun to relax in, not sleep in.

Winterhorse and DomC like this.
  27. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  28. Early Man

Early Man Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For me it's about use, carry weight, and experimenting. I have 2 vintage net hammocks I haven't used in a dog age still. Before that I had one with the knots and hated that.

It may well be I don't like 'sheet' hammocks as there are things I used to do in the net type (knotless) that would be a real challenge in the sheet type.

I didn't know back at that time anything about the 'right' angles, or rope could harm a tree more than a flat strap. So far as I know there were no better tarps than HEAVY canvass or cheap junk blue plastic .

When I gaze on the sheet hammockss now, they are far between trees. With my net I had my pack with in reach at the head tree, and I could also reach the ground, which was handy for running a SVEA 123 stove in the rack . There was room for my at the time now long gone Great Dane under me. I laced myself in s could roll all around, which I had to do for cooking in the rack.

Everything has gone high tech. I am confused by it all now. blue steel lines, with a chinese finger trap, daisey chains, whoopie straps, all sound rather kinky to me. :)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  29. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well put to say the least , "Kinky" lol . But also very true , bar the complications the come from living long enough i'm of a mind set that i believe with in reason if it's heavy and i need what i'm carrying i just need to get stronger . I've stated this before , i'll put on my pack with 90% of a winter load and take the dog out for a walk . I don't really buy into ultra light anything . I just feel there is more to be said about " Heavy Duty" , now don't get me wrong . I won't haul my 10# GI ECW sleeping bag across gods creation , but a 1.5 pound hammock as opposed to a 2.5 pound all inclusive i'm going to take that extra 1 1/2 pounds every time . I guess it goes back to what each person deems a necessity or is willing to carry .

Winterhorse and Red Wing like this.
  30. Sinjin

Sinjin Firebrand

Blog Posts:
    I have the same hammock, but mine was just under $30.00! it definitely seems quality enough. I've slept in the enos before, but could never pull the trigger on a hammock because bugs suck here in FL. but I saw this one day and had to buy it, I'm super happy I did! have you uncovered any flaws with it yet, or is it still holding up strong?

Winterhorse likes this.
  31. Red Wing

Blog Posts:
    To your point, its about whats worth the extra weight. I go light on stuff I can and go heavy on stuff I should. My 1lb hammock leaves me the weight room for my saw an A1 and now Im more versatile for less weight.

That being said Im not taking a fosters pot unless Ive got a redundancy. Its all about where you want to put the weight, in what items. Im not doing anything that fun in my hammock it needs to be bombproof, lol.

32. JasonJ

JasonJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    I should report back too say that after almost two months of using the Equip 2-person hammock, I mostly prefer it to my solid cotton hammock, at least as it pertains to comfort. I also enjoy the room I have in it, the nearly 11' length is fantastic for my at 5'9" height. I've come to enjoy this hammock more than any other that I've used. It is an excellent value.

33. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm enjoy mine immensely and how can I complain about an all inclusive mosquito hammock at this price . Heavy duty , comfortable and keeps my bony butt of the ground , done and done .

Red Wing likes this.
  34. Back Off

Back Off Scout

Blog Posts:
    I got two of them and they are really nice for the money. I am upgrading the suspension on them and thats about it I think. It was so comfortable I ordered a hammock for myself although I did order a SkeeterBeater Pro. Here is my son testing his out and he loved it as well as a shot of him splitting a log with it in the background being used by his cousin. We had a kid, adult and dog in it at the same time with no issues. Josh is 6 foot 200 pounds of outside linebacker.
    choppin.jpg

josh.jpg

35. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yeah they,re a great deal for sure . I honestly believe people get hung up on what's in a name . My Mosquito hammock does every thing I need at a fraction of the cost of my Skeeter Beeter .

36. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Scout

Blog Posts:
    Funny thing about hammocks: very few people I know have one, and some look at them with skepticism.
    But hang one up around a group of people, and it tends to be occupied a good portion of the time. It seems to be something neat everyone likes.

37. JasonJ

JasonJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    I see this nearly every weekend that I'm up north at the cottage... the people that look at you as if you have tentacles coming out of your skull otherwise when you talk about hammocks... those are the people I catch napping in mine (I consider it quasi-communal in our little group of mostly family).

I don't use the included ropes, instead I have mine hanging with a couple of orange Harbor Freight ratchet straps.

LongChinJon likes this.
  38. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:

I have a set of those as well . But when I started looking at straps I noticed they all pretty much look the same just different materials. Some stretch some not so much. The set I ended up buying had hundreds of reviews and cost less than ten bucks . They look like name straps, they're triple stitched and are fifteen feet long. Daisy chain looping and are wider than ones I looked at by other manufacturers at 2.5 inches . No need for a tree hugger . My complete hammock setup was under $200 with tarp and under quilt. I have zero complaints.

39. Back Off

Back Off Scout

Blog Posts:
    What did you go with for straps? I think I will need to pick up 4 as I dont like the ones I got for the Wallmart ones and I already know my SBP is a rope set up as well.

40. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'll pull them out and take a look and edit this post .

41. Draketake

Draketake Guide

Blog Posts:
    Chreba,

Great info thanks. Just looked at the Walmart Hammocks yesterday.

I couldnt find your underquilt post from yesterday. I am looking for an underquilt now and would be interested in what you ended up with. Whered you get it and what was the cost?

Thank you.

42. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Does that Walmart hammock have a double bottom that opens along one side so you can slide a pad into it? To me that's a very important feature for a serious camping hammock.

43. danpass

danpass Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I think I've seen this hammock in the camping section. My main thought was "how does it compare to the Snugpak Jungle Hammock .... "

44. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    ? About set up. This is my first try at this, the straps are 6 1/2 ' x 1 inch. No buckles or sliders which knots should I use on the end to make a loop? Seems like a marlin spike hitch will be ok for the clips to attach the hammock. What distance between trees do you folks usually look for? Im only into this for 25 bucks and not sure if I'm going to like it at all, so before I change any suspension or biners I want to set it up right..any advice would be greatly appreciated...

45. Back Off

Back Off Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ok, so as I researched hammocks a bit more I am going to try putting a ridgeline on them to see how that works. The Equip two person seems nicer than the skeeter beater pro but I am sure that just because I am a bigger dude and it has more material. I also found suspensions on Amazon that are similar to Atlas but cheaper. Looks like its time to up my game here a bit!

Red Wing likes this.
  46. Red Wing

Blog Posts:
    Whoopie slings, tree huggers, tree straps, cinch buckles.

30.00 usually for a 15'x2 tree straps and 2 cinch buckles regardless of who you buy from.

DONT USE NYLON FOR SUSPENSION

Youll end up on the ground by morning. Polyester is the key word to look for on anything youre looking for suspension wise. Or kevlar.

550 is out.

I personally use whoopie and a marlin spike bit it seems Im one of the last to use "old school" ways to do it.

Dutchware Gear if you really want to get into customizing your suspension. Even makes cinch buckles that accept a spreader bar to hang with your boo from the same trees in your own hammocks. Awesome.
    https://dutchwaregear.com/hammock-gear/hammock-suspensions/complete-suspensions.html

Again, for insulation, weight vs. Compressability vs. Cost there is hands down no better deal than Hammock Gears Econ line. For 40.00 more you get a premium piece of american made gear vs. The snugpack.

http://www.hammockgear.com/econ-quilts/
    Im loving seeing more bushcrafter getting into hammocks beyond afternoon naps, righteous!

47. Red Wing

Blog Posts:
    Let me knos if you have any questions, assuming you found the forumla for setting your ridgeline length? It def improves the experience, makes it consistant everytime.

48. Back Off

Back Off Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I got it from Shug. I will test it a little to get it right but I can really see how this should improve things. Thanks again for everything Red Wing, you have been very helpful!

Red Wing likes this.
  49. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    @Draketake I'm sorry I don't know how I missed this , but my underquilt is a one Tigris . Hope I'm not to late .

Draketake likes this.
  50. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    No it does not . I have used a partially inflated insulated mat in mine in the past and haven't had any problems .