Walmart hammock

Discussion in 'Hammocks' started by CHREBA, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Perpetual Student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Some folks learn faster than others...:34:

2. ffor

ffor Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I had one of the Wal-Mart blue & orange two person hammock and it split and dropped me. (It was only used 6 or 7 times) Just a heads up, but the manufacture did replace it for no charge. The new one seems to be a little different material.

3. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a travel hammock my kids have played in for 3 or 4 Summers after I got finished with it previously . If it survives a healthy 13 YO and her 9 YO brother ruff housing all that time I think I'll be fine in my new one .

4. Draketake

Draketake Guide

Blog Posts:

Nope not too late. Gotta save up some cash for an underquilt anyways.

First things first though and that is going to be ordering a Dream Hammock Raven, within the next day or two. Very stoked about that.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Be safe.

Bob

5. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    First hang last night......I like it tha whole hanging thing. Not sure what the temp got down to last night but froze my butt off after 0300....
    20170625_132647.jpg

Draketake and Red Wing like this.
  6. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:
    CBS, Cold Butt Syndrome.

Pretty much 65, 70 degrees and lower and you need one. Piece of reflectix usually gets ya by in the summer.

89.00 is worth the 40deg underquilt from HG IMO. Takes the comfort to the next level as much as I hate to say it. Pads def get you by though and have their place on certain trips. But use my uq everytime I go anymore FWIW. And i may have more pad experience in a hammock than anyone I know except for maybe BillyBob65 on HF.

7. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks.. Red Wing,I'm trying to cheap this right now. I had a simple 50 degree bag and still froze.I'm trying to figure out if I want to invest in a better hammock and all the accoutrements. I was thinking a better sleeping bag? I have refectix...I have cfp and a inflatable... I know about conduction being a ground dweller...never thought convection with no breeze could suck so much heat away...lol

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Fat Old Man and Red Wing like this.
  8. JasonJ

JasonJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    A better bag would help.. but you could also sew our own underquilt together. I remember when my dad made his own sleeping bag... it was just a bit time consuming, but not difficult. I'd tend to think that you could put together a nice down or synthetic filled uq rather inexpensively. Heck.. you could probably find an inexpensive but effective 0-degree sleeping bag, cut it to size and shape and sew the ends up with some straps to attach and use that as an underquilt too!

9. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:
    So when I first started, i froze in my GTUL hammock with my 0deg marmot tressles at mid 40s, lol.

Better hammock or better bag wont make it warmer imo. I still find my 20.00 grand trunk comfy.

If you have any diy skills, theres a costco down throw that everyone uses for summer quilt. 20.00 but you have to put a suspension on it but well worth it from what Ive been told. Even get lucky on ebay from time to time and find them made for 40ish.

Til then use that reflectix or through a pad in your sb.

10. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    Going for my second hang, added a inflatable pad. Temp right now is 81..47 % humidity. clear skys with a njce breeze...@ 1900 hrs....plus a nature shot of a small bumble bee around my shelter....
    20170702_185949.jpg 20170702_185922.jpg 20170702_185902.jpg Woo 20170702_185949.jpg 6 20170702_185902.jpg

Back Off and Rockgod1619 like this.
  11. Draketake

Draketake Guide

Blog Posts:
  12. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    It was awesome. The spot is the corner of my property ,shaded and quiet. The only thing that made me a little nervous was if any thing let go I would land directly on a stone wall. Bounce right I'm on flat ground,bounce left I go over the wall about 10-12 feet into some brush....lol

Draketake and Red Wing like this.
  13. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:
    Rule I still follow, onlu hang as high as youre willing to fall.

My buddy whos been doing this 10 years dropped himself last summer. Was hilarious bit a good reminder vets still mess up

mahaney and Back Off like this.
  14. Draketake

Draketake Guide

Blog Posts:
    BC-Medic,

Totally understand your trepidation. I dont take those kind of chances as I usually lose the bet, plus being older, I dont heal as fast as I used to.

Pretty sweet backyard I might add.

15. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for the comment on my backyard. I chose that spot because I do not have two trees anywhere else on the inside of my Stonewall on the property. I would have had to walk up into the woods a little bit to find two trees that were out of the range of any widow-makers. I figured for my first couple of hangs trying this out I wanted to be closed on house so that if I did not like it, got cold again, or frustrated I could just get up walk in the house and rack out in my bed.

Draketake likes this.
  16. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Perpetual Student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Try a PLUQ- Poncho Liner UnderQuilt- Plenty on info online & YouTube.

Rockgod1619 likes this.
  17. Draketake

Draketake Guide

Blog Posts:

BCM,

That is exactly what I did for my first 6 or so hangs. However I was able to do so in my shop. I used some U Bolts bolted into the rafters, for the anchor points.

Got down to 27 ish a couple of nights, in the shop and I was fine. However, I did not have any wind circulating around the hammock.

The last 6 or 7 nights Ive been able to hang in the woods. One of those nights it snowed. Another night had heavy rain all night. I was able to stay warm and comfy though. I used a lot of information I gained on this site and on Hammock Forums.com, to make those hangs comfortable.

Ive been using gear I already had from Backpacking/Tent Camping trying to keep costs down. That said, the best money Ive spent so far on this quest has been buying the book " The Ultimate Hang" by Derek Hansen ( 15 bucks). The second best investment has been my extra wide and extra long Thermarest "Ridgeline" closed cell foam pad ( 29 bucks). Third best investment was my 14 dollar 10 X 12 foot tarp from Lowes. It weighs the same as the more expensive hammock specific tarps and like I said, just getting into this endeavor, I wanted to do so at the least cost.

Have a good day.